Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

League of Ireland players to take a knee upon restart

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It's been well over a decade since I went to a loi game, but I remember that if you had a free kick into the home teams stand, you got dogs abuse, homophobic, classist, personal and yes even sometimes racist, it wasn't just a bohs/rovers thing either, it was constant.

Happy to see the fake woke board of bohs called out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Yeah, England, another foreign country.

Why not focus protests here on all the people left on trolleys in hospitals instead? Why do we turn a blind eye to that issue?

What about the homeless Joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

paw patrol wrote: »
    stranger things have happened.

I liked the craic of the live games

and maybe few pints on occasion and the kids always got to hit the golden chip on the way back.

:D

Small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Alan Mannus was born in Canada, last year some of the fantastic angry young men shouted at Michael O'Connor go home you Orange bastard, he is from Dundalk.

Thanks for the, eh, info. Much obliged. Doesn’t change the fact that Mannus was called a DOB throughout the game by Bohs fans.

“At Saturday’s game there were numerous occasions when sectarian chanting could be heard from the stands. This goes against everything we have worked so hard to try and achieve in terms of making Dalymount Park an inclusive and welcoming place for people of all creeds and colours. I know people can get carried away during a game, especially against our local rivals, but we must not lower our standards and must always remember that we are Bohemian Football Club.“

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There's no need to accuse the league of importing "American racism" when we have problems in that department of our own.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/we-have-been-traumatised-asylum-seekers-in-a-kerry-direct-provision-centre-on-hunger-strike-in-protest-at-inhumane-conditions-39403971.html

This thread and the people complaining about this gesture reek of white privilege.

Given that they went through the stress of escaping whatever mortal and imminent danger they were previously in in their home countries, it would seem curious that it is the choice of hotel in which they are accommodated that has traumatised them.

I don't know. It could just be a really shit hotel.....albeit one that tourists were happy to pay to stay in up until recently. Any reviews on TripAdvisor or the like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,319 ✭✭✭pgj2015

fair play to any LOI player who has the balls to not take the knee, especially a black player. the cop was a scum bag but so was the guy he killed, he is no hero. There was any amount of videos on youtube of black people saying black lives only matter when its a white cop killing a black person, what about when black people kill fellow black people? which is how most black people are killed in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jay1988

Amazing how some people suddenly have an interest in whats happening in the LOI!

I've been going to games here for 20 years now, yes this is probably a publicity stunt/bandwagon thing but if it makes any of the black players or black fans of the league feel a bit more welcome then whats the problem? It could help get more black fans into grounds it which can only be good for the clubs who are desperate for cash and a league thats desperate for exposure.

jay1988 wrote: »
    Amazing how some people suddenly have an interest in whats happening in the LOI!

I've been going to games here for 20 years now, yes this is probably a publicity stunt/bandwagon thing but if it makes any of the black players or black fans of the league feel a bit more welcome then whats the problem? It could help get more black fans into grounds it which can only be good for the clubs who are desperate for cash and a league thats desperate for exposure.

I am a loi supporter and this kind of stunt would stop me continuing to support the league. im not in any way racist btw but I think sport and politics shouldnt mix, same as religion shouldnt.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I am a loi supporter and this kind of stunt would stop me continuing to support the league. im not in any way racist btw but I think sport and politics shouldnt mix, same as religion shouldnt.

Players taking a knee before a game will stop you supporting the league? Really? Why would it bother you so much?

jay1988 wrote: »
    Players taking a knee before a game will stop you supporting the league? Really? Why would it bother you so much?

I hate virtue signalling, there is something so fake about it. and as I said politics and religion should have no involvement with sport. I dont think the footballers should have to wear a poppy in the UK and there shouldnt have been people praying at croke park yesterday, inside or outside the ground of any religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

NIMAN wrote: »
    You'd be a brave player to NOT take the knee before games, it's so orchestrated.

Your career would be over.

So just do what you're told.

I think you'd get away with it in the LOI. Sure Bohs and Waterford knowingly signed a guy who was convicted of a gang rape of a minor.

If it was the Premier League that would be a different story. Sky F1 have been going after the guys who didn't bend the knee before races this week.

It completely defeats the purpose when there is media pressure to "take a knee". When there is pressure to participate, it definitely isn't "take a knee", it's Bend the knee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Last time I took a kneee was from sagat in street fighter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

So they have taken the knee, is racism over now ? It surely must be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

So political displays in support of extremist marxist groups are ok now?

Why should a journeyman Harps player just trying to make enough to get by have to do this in order to make a living.

If white Irish people created an equivelant group in response to the African gangs/rapists in this country, do you think the clubs would get behind that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

People always say this and fair enough if for you, football is just 22 lads out on a pitch but politics and sport are completely intertwined. Look at the histories of the leagues of eastern europe and see how the designated party teams are the won with all the success. Levski Sofia's whole identity is based off being the second fiddle to CSKA Sofia and their ability to hand select the best players in the country based off them being the team of the communist government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

I would not take a knee to support people like this, sport should have found another way to show solidarity - even then politics and sport is a bad mix.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/06/25/blm-co-founder-describes-herself-as-trained-marxist/amp/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

This is woke peer-pressure and indeed bully-politics trying to interfere with sport.
    No man should have take a knee, nor bow before for anyone, with the only exception of proposing to a potential wife.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I would not take a knee to support people like this, sport should have found another way to show solidarity - even then politics and sport is a bad mix.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/06/25/blm-co-founder-describes-herself-as-trained-marxist/amp/

Very, very rich marxists though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Pathetic carry on. Idiots. Surely some player or team will say no to such bull crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

They'll probably have the option of sitting it out in the dressing room, and then on the bench.....

• Advertisement

My own club playing up in Tallaght at 17.00. If they are at this nonsense i'll be giving it a miss going to games when crowds are allowed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

My own club playing up in Tallaght at 17.00. If they are at this nonsense i'll be giving it a miss going to games when crowds are allowed back.

That’s very snowflakey is it not? It’s for five or six seconds.

Omackeral wrote: »

This is what i don't understand, although its not something i want to see happen, there's no way in hell this would stop me attending games of a club i've supported my whole life.

Would be interesting to know how many posters objecting here actually support an LOI team or attend games or just have a problem with BLM.

people need to boycott businesses that pull this kind of crap or where will it end? next Ireland manager must be black? all the players have to be black or travellers etc no white jerseys as its racist.

Over two months of this nonsense. Thought we were coming to the end of it. And now this? As long as the players do this i'll do my own stay away protest vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

people need to boycott businesses that pull this kind of crap or where will it end? next Ireland manager must be black? all the players have to be black or travellers etc no white jerseys as its racist.

Dundalk FC are very multicultural and diverse with their Black & White Jerseys. A bit of Red thrown in because they batter all round them.. C'MON D TOWN.

Honestly pal I doubt the club will give a ****e

You're right. They won't. But i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Oh for crying out loud would you give over this as far out as the excuse gay and lesbian marriage should not be allowed as it would lead to 3 or 4 people marrying each other or marrying animals.

Oh for crying out loud would you give over this as far out as the excuse gay and lesbian marriage should not be allowed as it would lead to 3 or 4 people marrying each other or marrying animals.

https://www.delish.com/food/a33313212/food-brands-racist-mascots-logos/

https://chicago.suntimes.com/taste/2020/7/31/21349830/trader-joes-ethnic-food-brands-not-racist-but-names-and-packaging-will-change

anything is possible.

• Advertisement

Honestly pal I doubt the club will give a ****e

you sure? loi clubs need all the money they can get at the best of times but they do now more than ever.

Advertisement