Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

League of Ireland players to take a knee upon restart

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think these sports people are in for a rude awakening when crowds come back to games.

NFL and Baseball teams will be widely booed. Although they seem to be wanting to do it during the national anthems.

Football may get a grace period of a week or two but the boos will start ringing out very quickly. I look forward seeing English teams trying to do it in Eastern Europe :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I think these sports people are in for a rude awakening when crowds come back to games.

NFL and Baseball teams will be widely booed. Although they seem to be wanting to do it during the national anthems.

Football may get a grace period of a week or two but the boos will start ringing out very quickly. I look forward seeing English teams trying to do it in Eastern Europe :pac:

The eastern european is a perfect example of why racism homophobic chats and discrimination is not just a political thing or an American or George Floyd issue. Nice example I am sure you were not going for.

Now I am sure any team who play over there will take the safety of its players in those games.

As for the American crowd reaction I am not as certain as you it will be met as you think especially if the whole team are behind it. I mean the fans can have there feeling heard in relation to the knee now if they wanted. Numerous ways fan radio, team twitter to name a couple

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

pgj2015 wrote: »
    people need to boycott businesses that pull this kind of crap or where will it end? next Ireland manager must be black? all the players have to be black or travellers etc no white jerseys as its racist.

I love reasoned debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

A big draw of the LOI is that it is grass roots football. Away from the premiership. What's it doing bowing down to a campaign for the 1% that has really got nothing to do with Ireland or the actions of Irish people.

Loss of credibility here

As I said, I think these sports people are in for a rude awaking when fans come back into stadiums

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/13/dallas-?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true

I notice Scotland said they will bend the knee until October. Why October? A bit random. It also coincides with when they were expecting fans to be allowed back into the stadiums.

The Champions League/Europa League has been a bit haphazard. Man Utd didn't bend the knee in their first game against Linz but did in their second game against Copenhagen after a couple of other teams did in between the game. In Man City-Real Madrid game, Raheem Sterling went to take a knee but Real Madrid Played as soon as it kicked off. There was no consultation before the game. There was no knee bending in Atalanta-PSG last night but was the night before in Wolves-Sevilla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Hasn't been mentioned here but at an MLS game, the teams took the knee during the Star Spangled Banner and were booed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

As I said, I think these sports people are in for a rude awaking when fans come back into stadiums

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/13/dallas-?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true

I notice Scotland said they will bend the knee until October. Why October? A bit random. It also coincides with when they were expecting fans to be allowed back into the stadiums.

The Champions League/Europa League has been a bit haphazard. Man Utd didn't bend the knee in their first game against Linz but did in their second game against Copenhagen after a couple of other teams did in between the game. In Man City-Real Madrid game, Raheem Sterling went to take a knee but Real Madrid Played as soon as it kicked off. There was no consultation before the game. There was no knee bending in Atalanta-PSG last night but was the night before in Wolves-Sevilla.

Can’t have Rangers* fans embarrassing Stevie G at Ibrox

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Agree its not even being against a cause but against political viewpoints becoming intertwining with sports.

Taking a stand against racism is a good thing, using guestures associated with a well known political movement ties the action to that movement.

I don't think football and politics should mix, and given the number of fines that have been given out for it, neither do fifa (until now)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hasn't been mentioned here but at an MLS game, the teams took the knee during the Star Spangled Banner and were booed.

Interesting to read at the start of that piece that a team-mate apologised for the booing?

I don't know players in the MLS, but I assume the guy apologising was white? If so, why did he feel the need to apologise for strangers in the crowd booing?

This forced guilt among white people just isn't right either.

Agree its not even being against a cause but against political viewpoints becoming intertwining with sports.

Taking a stand against racism is a good thing, using guestures associated with a well known political movement ties the action to that movement.

I don't think football and politics should mix, and given the number of fines that have been given out for it, neither do fifa (until now)

FIFA talk out of both sides of its mouth. Same as UEFA. No politics in football?? Then how come Israel play in Europe?? Why are Russian and Ukranian teams kept apart in draws for all competitions??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

FIFA talk out of both sides of its mouth. Same as UEFA. No politics in football?? Then how come Israel play in Europe?? Why are Russian and Ukranian teams kept apart in draws for all competitions??

To word it differently, when players express political or personal views on political subjects on a pitch, they are fined/suspended.

Shaq/Xhaka in the last WC for example

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I assume the LOI teams don't kneel during anthem? Do they even play it before games? A while since I've been.

There is apparently attempt to have GAA do the same, and presumably the rugby clubs.

A lot of nonsense really. If it is a gesture about the American burglar then it has absolutely nothing to do with anyone here.

If it is meant to imply, as some have, that it is about racism in Ireland then it is downright insulting.

Bohs seem to be run - is so far as all the virtue signalling goes - by a faction comprising tiny ultra leftist groups and AFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To word it differently, when players express political or personal views on political subjects on a pitch, they are fined/suspended.

Can anyone confirm whether LoI clubs have ever received fines for Palestinian flags at their games?

I remember hearing a couple of years back that us at Derry City would be fined for them, then a few clubs had them on TV coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Let them at it as it likely fizzle out.
    I heard a rap song a few times lately and i think to do with this.
    It was while hold on phone and in shop.
    The one line i got was "i'm a man" and i forget the next bit.
    I am just wondering if anyone knows as i say it pretty popular right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

NIMAN wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm whether LoI clubs have ever received fines for Palestinian flags at their games?

I remember hearing a couple of years back that us at Derry City would be fined for them, then a few clubs had them on TV coverage.

Why would anyone want to bring a Palestinian flag to a LOI or GAA match?

Or for that matter water charges, IRSP, or any other political banners or flags.

The people bringing all this stuff can hold protests, vote, attend meetings or whatever. Sports should be neutral. And they certainly have no business trying to create impression that everyone on Hill 16 or in Tallaght or Oriel Park all support the same things they do.

Playground politics.

Israel can't play in Asia because there are countries that don't recognise them or will allow Israelis enter their country. Its either move them to UEFA or have a zillion walkovers.

Ukraine/Russia/Azerbaijan/Armenia. Similar but they have cut diplomatic ties with each other and won't allow travel. Nothing to do with the associations.

It's better to find ways around it instead of increasing tensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

The whole bending the knee thing is silly. It has nothing to do with the LoI. In general it needs to stop as it is really just a farce now.

When you overdo anything then it becomes boring and stale. That is exactly what has happened with this protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

One would hope they continue this small “action” until there is some clear, and obvious, change.

Maybe even until racism has been “stamped out” in the sport altogether. We can only hope.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

timthumbni wrote: »
    The whole bending the knee thing is silly. It has nothing to do with the LoI. In general it needs to stop as it is really just a farce now.

When you overdo anything then it becomes boring and stale. That is exactly what has happened with this protest.

I agree. Players should do it once and show solidarity and support for black lives. Doing it every week is stupid, it's like their having to re-inforce it and remind themselves every time they take a knee. You do it once imo. I did it during an Arsenal game to show my support too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

biko wrote: »
    I don't agree with this. You're only feeding the frenzy

I'd say best solution is simply to ignore it. It won't change anything about the way in which the American Judicial system works, and the only people doing it earnestly will be simply looking for attention. Without that attention people will soon tire of it.

And I hope to God no player refuses to take the knee, or we will be flooded with yellow journalism about how racist a country this is.

Biden will win in November, which will hopefully force the Irish social media hounds to find more relevant issues to focus on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

NIMAN wrote: »

Dundalk were fined 18K because a fan flew a Palestinian flag at a Europa qualifier against Hajduk Split in 2014.
    Madness imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

One would hope they continue this small “action” until there is some clear, and obvious, change.

Maybe even until racism has been “stamped out” in the sport altogether. We can only hope.

A change in what exactly? I thought they were doing it regarding what happened in the US? Is there a major issue with racism within the LofI?

Re stamping out racism how is that going to me measured exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

DenMan wrote: »
    I agree. Players should do it once and show solidarity and support for black lives. Doing it every week is stupid, it's like their having to re-inforce it and remind themselves every time they take a knee. You do it once imo. I did it during an Arsenal game to show my support too.[/QUOTE]

Like in your sitting room or wherever ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

I agree. Players should do it once and show solidarity and support for black lives. Doing it every week is stupid, it's like their having to re-inforce it and remind themselves every time they take a knee. You do it once imo. I did it during an Arsenal game to show my support too.[/QUOTE]

Like in your sitting room or wherever ?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Jeysus sake LOL

Were you wearing a full Arsenal kit? Shin pads, boots, captains armband?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

We could do this very small 'action' every morning and afternoon in schools and workplaces...maybe get a bell like the Angelus...deadly

timthumbni wrote: »
    A change in what exactly? I thought they were doing it regarding what happened in the US? Is there a major issue with racism within the LofI?

Re stamping out racism how is that going to me measured exactly?

More sectarianism, and generally only when Bohs, the woke club, play Rovers and the woke fans get to call him a dirty orange b*stard for 90 minutes because he plays for NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Yes

Not gonna lie, that's quite odd to be honest, but each to their own, I guess....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

More sectarianism, and generally only when Bohs, the woke club, play Rovers and the woke fans get to call him a dirty orange b*stard for 90 minutes because he plays for NI.

Isn't there a term for that. The ' 90 minute bigot ' I believe it is called.

Advertisement