Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

League of Ireland players to take a knee upon restart

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

One would hope they continue this small “action” until there is some clear, and obvious, change.

Maybe even until racism has been “stamped out” in the sport altogether. We can only hope.

when I see your posts , I can't believe you aren't a parody
    You would beat Fintan O'Toole at playing Fintan O'Toole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

More sectarianism, and generally only when Bohs, the woke club, play Rovers and the woke fans get to call him a dirty orange b*stard for 90 minutes because he plays for NI.

Who is the player they shout that at? Alan mannus?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

FIFA talk out of both sides of its mouth. Same as UEFA. No politics in football?? Then how come Israel play in Europe?? Why are Russian and Ukranian teams kept apart in draws for all competitions??

Human rights are not the same as politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

timthumbni wrote: »
    Who is the player they shout that at? Alan mannus?

Ya.

Bohs are mad into showing how progressive they are, and they’ve started attracting a lot of beardy craft beer types as fans recently. That progressiveness doesn’t extend to not caring that some Nordie doesn’t want to sing the national anthem.

Absolutely insufferable club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Pity the Bohs woke were not so concerned when they had a gang rapist playing for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

DenMan wrote: »

Yes

Tell the truth. You just bent down to pick up the Hob Nob you dropped

Ya.

Bohs are mad into showing how progressive they are, and they’ve started attracting a lot of beardy craft beer types as fans recently. That progressiveness doesn’t extend to not caring that some Nordie doesn’t want to sing the national anthem.

Absolutely insufferable club.

Is the Irish anthem played at cup finals.? I wouldn’t expect him to sing it but I would expect him to stand for it and respect it. Did he do something to annoy people there?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Is the Irish anthem played at cup finals.? I wouldn’t expect him to sing it but I would expect him to stand for it and respect it. Did he do something to annoy people there?

He faced away from the flag while everyone else faced it. He was the only one who didn't turn to face it. His prerogative, really.

Omackeral wrote: »
    He faced away from the flag while everyone else faced it. He was the only one who didn't turn to face it. His prerogative, really.

It is, but no reason not to face the flag, even if it’s not your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

What’s the “protocol” for the anthems regarding facing the flag. Sometimes the players face it and other times they face the crowd.

Didn’t the guy say he wasn’t aware the players were going to face the flag? Are the crowd supposed to do it too?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

It is, but no reason not to face the flag, even if it’s not your own.

Yeah would have though the same myself. If the country is good enough to live in and make a living in, then surely it's just a bit of respect?

Didn’t the guy say he wasn’t aware the players were going to face the flag? Are the crowd supposed to do it too?

He was the only one who didn't out of 22 of them. Doesn't really wash.

0012faba-1600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Yeah would have though the same myself. If the country is good enough to live in and make a living in, then surely it's just a bit of respect?

Didn't the same thing happen with James McClean and the Union Jack?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

He was the only one who didn't out of 22 of them. Doesn't really wash.

0012faba-1600.jpg

But since when has it become the “done thing” to face the flag? Have teams been “disrespecting” the flag for decades by facing the crowd/camera?

Is it possible he was focusing and just didn’t see the others taken “about face”? He did apologise after, right? Said he wasn’t aware of the flag thing.

Or am I wrong there?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Yeah, over in the States bizarrely enough. McClean comes off as a hypocritical when he's happy to make a living in the UK but slate it at every turn. I don't think he's the brightest anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I presume because the Queen is the head of the Armed Forces?

Is it possible he was focusing and just didn’t see the others taken “about face”?

Or am I wrong there?

Well he must have the worst peripheral vision ever because Ronan Finn is in front of him too.

Allan_Mannus.jpg

The man is 38 years old, he's played in cup finals plenty of times. He knows the protocol. He didn't face it because he didn't want to, that's how it looks. He did say he regrets the sh*t it caused though. Anyway we are off topic. He's a good keeper and that's all that should really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I presume because the Queen is the head of the Armed Forces?

James McClean, the original Colin Kaepernick?

www.twitter.com/theawayfans/status/622515056044064768

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Am I the only one who thinks... that when I click in 101/102 or whatever station to watch football, any sport...or indeed arriving at the stadium.... I don’t want to be looking at political / social posturing of any kind... Come out of the tunnel, warm up, ref tosses the coin and we get playing.... every sports fixture now seems to have some fücking issues / political point to hammer down your throat. It’s going to get to the stage where I’m pushing my shopping trolley up to the checkout in tesco, everything is scanned, go to enter my pin and a message... please take the knee in solidarity with BLM, then you can enter your pin...a BLM recognition scanner will recognize if you’ve done it, then the card reader powers up again..

Just let fûcking people get on with their lives and not be shoehorning stuff down their throats...

James McClean, the original Colin Kaepernick?

www.twitter.com/theawayfans/status/622515056044064768

He is a right twat though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The Irish thing of turning to face the flag makes any decision not to conform even more obvious.

No issue with Mannus not doing so. His choice.

Shouldn't be an issue, but is made one, sadly.

Don't agree that McClean is a hypocrite either. Him living, and making in a living, in the UK, doesn't preclude him from protesting the poppy in the way he does.

Agree that he isn't the brightest though.

If someone is living in a repressive state then it takes courage and is legitimate to use means denied to them through elections, media etc to make a point. The Czech athlete Vere Caslavska in making silent protest during Soviet invasion at 1968 Olympics being such an example for which she paid price for over 20 years.

None of that applies to the kneelers or indeed McClean. They have lots of ways to make their point outside of sport. I do agree that no one should have to wear a poppy. Standing for anthem is just manners.

McClean is SF supporter which makes the whole thing a bit hypocritical given that the party has no problem positively creaming itself when meeting British royals, apart altogether from the fact that in realty they are colonial administrators if you consider their position in Stormont.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RoversCeltic

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I assume the LOI teams don't kneel during anthem? Do they even play it before games? A while since I've been.

There is apparently attempt to have GAA do the same, and presumably the rugby clubs.

A lot of nonsense really. If it is a gesture about the American burglar then it has absolutely nothing to do with anyone here.

If it is meant to imply, as some have, that it is about racism in Ireland then it is downright insulting.

Bohs seem to be run - is so far as all the virtue signalling goes - by a faction comprising tiny ultra leftist groups and AFA.

Bohs fans were sectarian the last time they played Rovers

Bohs fans were sectarian the last time they played Rovers

Which was rightly acknowledged and condemed by the club.

And why did they make a hero of that rapist after he was convicted?

Would they have done same with a white gang rapist?

Bonniedog wrote: »
    And why did they make a hero of that rapist after he was convicted?

Another decision that didn't sit well with a major section of the fan base.

Another decision that didn't sit well with a major section of the fan base.

I know Bohs supporters who are p1ssed off with the way certain people - members of tiny left groups (and people I am referring to would be on left themselves) are using club to push their agenda.

It is really childish, and same applies to any groups who try to turn match days into political displays. Same goes for those on Hill 16 who bring flags and banners.

Idiocy of all that was displayed when they tried to get Dubs supporters to bring Palestinian flags to final against Mayo. Not having perhaps done some research on the colour coding!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

And of course RTE will give the looney left at Bohs plenty of coverage and profile when they virtue signal with all the right moves. Commercially doesn't do any harm for a (short) while either.

And of course RTE will give the looney left at Bohs plenty of coverage and profile when they virtue signal with all the right moves. Commercially doesn't do any harm for a (short) while either.

Is there a LOI team that is connected to that German team ST Pauli? I saw a thing on tv about st Pauli and they were all citizen smith types, wearing che Guevara t shirts and looking a bit crusty. Maybe I’m wrong but I thought it mentioned an Irish club as well. They are connected to Celtic as well.

• Advertisement

St. Pauli are the AFA of the Bundesliga. Crap team with obnoxiously woke supporters who everyone else laughs at.

Was watching Vinnies playing Clontarf earlier and one of Clontarf players knelt just before anthem, and I was thinking "Oh, here we fkn go"!

But he was only tieing his boot laces :-)

Advertisement