Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ministers to get 50k extra - shock Indo headline

Options
  • 29-07-2020 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

The indo keeps falling to new depths - how anyone could pay to read their sh1te second rate journalism is beyond comprehension

They have three "journalists" byelined on this one.

"50k extra for ministers payrise" is the misleading headline (nothing new for the indo there!)

The real story if anyone actually read it is the total pay bill over the next 5 years is a cumulative additional €50k between all 15 ministers and that's GROSS.

So after tax its less than €400 per year over the reduced pay level that the previous group were taking.

It this type of utter sh1te that stops many people going into politics.

Wonder what the editor of the indo gets every year - somehow I doubt if that would be published. Anything over 50k is poor value for the sh1te they print imo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why didn't you link to the story so we could read for ourselves?
    You start a thread = you provide the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Anything that draws attention to politicians exploiting the taxpayer is good thing.

MM on the news yesterday claiming he's not in for money, but I don't hear him pushing for politicians' pensions to be pay out at the same age as the average punter.

Odd that. Not in it for the money, but, you know, not willing to change a system that is scandalous.

I thought all these politicians were the cream of the crop so why do they need their pension paid out before the rest of us when they are so talented and can get another job so easily?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

biko wrote: »
    Why didn't you link to the story so we could read for ourselves?
    You start a thread = you provide the link.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/taxpayer-to-face-bill-of-50000-for-ministers-wage-rise-39406588.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Anything that draws attention to politicians exploiting the taxpayer is good thing.

MM on the news yesterday claiming he's not in for money, but I don't hear him pushing for politicians' pensions to be pay out at the same age as the average punter.

Odd that. Not in it for the money, but, you know, not willing to change a system that is scandalous.

I thought all these politicians were the cream of the crop so why do they need their pension paid out before the rest of us when they are so talented and can get another job so easily?

Unless you were elected before 1st April 2004, you can only claim pension from age of 65. And that's only if you retire.

I've a private pension built up with a nice amount of tax free salary (every person has same entitlement) and i can opt from early retirement now if I want and it would be a decent annual amount. But like most people I don't want to retire, so I won't be taking the early retirement option that I am permitted to do (as are many others with private pensions)

Too many people will believe media headlines and never read past paragraph one or check the facts for themselves. - Its one of the reasons Trump got elected in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Any headline with a sum of money in it is dubious, they'll always find a way to inflate it

• Advertisement
Advertisement