Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Fair play to Bazza Hearn.

The Northern Ireland players are very patriotic with their green waist coats and Mark Allen in his North Ireland football jersey and then having to listen to Colin Murray regularly boast about it being the greatest country in the world (usually to Jimmy White's bemusement) they are not shy in bigging up their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Stick a ginger nut on Selby and his mannerisms could remind you of The Nugget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Thats as bad a frame as I've seen all season I'd say. Horrid from both players. Selby just lost it on the brown, when do you ever see him throwing his shoulder into a shot like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I’m fuming watching Selby play on here, but, I’d actually give him a 10-15% chance of winning this frame. Are there any set of circumstances where he’ll concede?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Thats as bad a frame as I've seen all season I'd say. Horrid from both players. Selby just lost it on the brown, when do you ever see him throwing his shoulder into a shot like that?

It aint over yet...

This is probably the worst professional snooker match I've seen in many a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Well, that's over at last, thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

When down to just the colours, if a colour is potted and the cue ball also goes in, the colour comes back onto the table, but that’s not the case with the black. I don’t understand why that is...

So in the Allen situation earlier, Allen was 7 ahead, potted the black and went in off. So we got a respotted black logically enough.

If Allen was ahead by 6 or fewer and he potted Black and then White, it would be frame to his opponent I assume?

• Advertisement

Martin Gould doing ok for a lad who says he was contemplating jacking it all in as recently as March. Maguire in big trouble there.

Martin Gould, 38 years of age, looking 50.

Yes thought Gould was older than 38

Like Dennis winning at the age of 36. You'd think he was well into his 40s

So in the Allen situation earlier, Allen was 7 ahead, potted the black and went in off. So we got a respotted black logically enough.

If Allen was ahead by 6 or fewer and he potted Black and then White, it would be frame to his opponent I assume?

Well, no, it wasn’t logical at all, which is my point. The black wasn’t replaced, as it would be with any other colour. The frame went straight to the coin toss for a respotted black.

I think the original question is why not respot the black or white after a foul if there's less than 7 points in it which is a fair one. Only answer i can think of is thats just way it's always been. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a rule introduced at one time to distinguish it further from pool, but thats a pure guess on my part.

I'd automatically be expecting a respotted black if you are 7 up and go i n off the black. A bit like the frame is over if you are 8 up and only the black left.
    Exceptional rule on the final black. In theory you could argue a snooker is available if a player jawed the white. But it is frame over, no further opportunity for penalty points.

• Advertisement

I'd automatically be expecting a respotted black if you are 7 up and go i n off the black. A bit like the frame is over if you are 8 up and only the black left. Exceptional rule on the final black.

A respotted black is different from replaced black, because a coin is tossed to give a player the option of playing next or putting their opponent in. Whereas what “should” happen is the turns should continue as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I hope we don't end up with Murphy in the BBC punditry team.

I shouldn't be giving the Selbys of this world ideas....

I'd automatically be expecting a respotted black if you are 7 up and go i n off the black. A bit like the frame is over if you are 8 up and only the black left.
    Exceptional rule on the final black. In theory you could argue a snooker is available if a player jawed the white. But it is frame over, no further opportunity for penalty points.

Of course if frame scores are tied it's a respotted black. I thought the scenario was if a player was, say, 3 points ahead and fouls black, why should he automatically lose frame as he's only now 4 behind. But i might be picking it up wrong here. Brain half scrambled watching selby all day!

Gould potting everything. Remember him in 2010 when he was doing the same. Very close to beating robbo who went on to win it that year. Could be dangerous if he's able to sustain it at all.

• Advertisement

If you are 3 ahead and foul black, but don't pot it, frame continues no? Black is still on the table.

If you are 3 ahead pot black and then white as Allen did you lose the frame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If you are 3 ahead and foul black, but don't pot it, frame continues no? Black is still on the table.

If you are 3 ahead pot black and then white as Allen did you lose the frame?

No. First foul on black always loses if the gap was 6 or less before the foul. Regardless of which player fouled.

No. First foul on black always loses if the gap was 6 or less before the foul. Regardless of which player fouled.

I don’t understand the logic of that, at all.

Selby squeezing the life out of Brown. Not a good match really but Selby wont mind too much.

On another note this site is gone to the dogs lately. Hard to keep up with it.

Its a good question, rule been there for decades so maybe there was a specific reason they brought it in, have a snooker history book on the shelves somewhere, must check it to see if there's any info.

I suppose you could say its as good a way to end a frame as any. The logic could be there's no excuse for fouling when there's one ball remaining on the table so you pay the maximum penalty. Best i could muster anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Selby squeezing the life out of Brown. Not a good match really but Selby wont mind too much.

On another note this site is gone to the dogs lately. Hard to keep up with it.

Its pretty much not working on the phone, and barely functioning on a laptop...

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Its pretty much not working on the phone, and barely functioning on a laptop...

Yea i always use my phone. It's a bit of a turn off from using it at the minute. Its bamboozling.

Brown makes an absolute mess of a basic clearance on the colours and Selby flukes the pink, 10-6, thank God that’s over. Woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

With only the black on the table, and the difference in scores is 6 or less, who ever pots the black wins.

Or if either player fouls, they lose. Player 1 is 6 points ahead for example, as they come to the black.

If he pots, he wins by 13. If player 2 pots it, he wins by 1.

If player 1 fouls, player 2 wins by 1 point. If payer 2 fouls, player 1 wins by 13.

If player 1 was 7 points ahead, and fouls, now the scores are even, so a re-spot occurs. And next pot or foul, its over.

Without that setup, they could be playing a long time on the black if a series of fouls happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Do other people find Rob Walker's MC schtick a bit grating? At least he seems to have dropped "Let's get the boys ON THE BAIZE!"

• Advertisement

Do other people find Rob Walker's MC schtick a bit grating? At least he seems to have dropped "Let's get the boys ON THE BAIZE!"

I've been to the Masters a few times in recent years and even before you see him do his bit on tv he is out revving up the crowd about 30 mins beforehand and telling them to shout and clap when he does it live. Harmless stuff really but i like the lad.

Ken sounding very confident about allen here. This clarke lad looks to have serious stickability about him to me. Wouldn't be as blase about it as ken.

I'm watching the Fulham v Brentford play off final so have missed the Allen v Clarke game but surprised to see Clarke lead at the break. Will catch it later on. Could be another late one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Allen v Clarke has turned out to be a very interesting evening, Clarke not potting everything he should, but making some amazing pots to stick right in there.

Watching this frame and Clarke right back in it. He certainly has a lot of bottle this lad. Never saw too much of him before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Did Murphy give an interview after his defeat....last time he lost like that he said he was gonna retire.

Did Murphy give an interview after his defeat....last time he lost like that he said he was gonna retire.

Yes he seemed fairly upbeat said he had a great season got to semi of Masters but early exit in the UK and this. Mentioned that bad miss in Frame 2 but praised his opponent. Didnt seem too upset but he has always been a fairly accepting and gracious loser.

Allen looking the one under pressure now but you'd think clarke would start seriously feeling it now. Just goes to show having loads of centuries isnt always all its cracked up to be.

Big turning point there. Bad luck for Clarke when looking good for 9-6 and Allen brave pot.

• Advertisement

That was positively cruel, would have been better for him to have knocked the red in. Still looks fairly unflappable out there, interesting to see how long that lasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

If Clarke wins this to go 9 - 7 he's taking it. Can't see Allen winning 3 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

Before today I never knew who Dave farrar was. I'm sorry I do now. Isn't Hendry enough for commentary? Often less is more.

This lad is not one bit fazed by Allen or the enormity of the situation. Good signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

amens wrote: »
    Before today I never knew who Dave farrar was. I'm sorry I do now. Isn't Hendry enough for commentary? Often less is more.

I can’t say I’m a fan of him either,

amens wrote: »

You have the Spaceman and Yates on Eurosport. Classic combo.

• Advertisement

Doesnt look like buckling so allen gonna have to win it by himself if he can i think. Very impressive this lad, been boss all night. Allen not playing bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Very enjoyable match this Allen v Clarke. Wouldn't write Allen off yet, think Clarke needs to win it with this frame to win 10-7, or else I think it will come to a nervy decider.

Impressive 76 break to pull one back by Allen

8-9, Allen finding a bit of rhythm again, hard to call now.

Allen capable of having the match won in 25 minutes if he gets a chance, scores so quickly.

Well done Clarke, massive win!

• Advertisement
Advertisement