Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Has Hendry worked Yan out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Yeah never heard anyone say Williams was #1. Definitely in my top 3-4 favourite players to watch though. Love his relaxed, deft style of play, very unique.

Has Hendry worked Yan out yet?

Wish I heard some of his musings.. The paradox of choice - am flicking between the 2 Eurosports.. Either a feast or a famine TV wise.. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Gotta love Williams coming out to 'Delilah' and faking the handshake. Snooker needs characters thats for sure. Was just reminiscing about Bill Werbeniuk today after someone mentioned him above re. the 147. Poor guy died destitute of heart failure at 56. His wiki makes for amusing reading particularly his drinking exploits (all be it for medical reasons)
    Some of Werbeniuk's most famous feats of drinking include: 76 cans of lager during a game with John Spencer in Australia in the 1970s;[1] 43 pints of lager in a snooker match/drinking contest against Scotsman Eddie Sinclair in which, after Sinclair had passed out following his 42nd pint, Werbeniuk was reported to say "I'm away to the bar now for a proper drink";[6] 28 pints of lager and 16 whiskies over the course of 11 frames during a match against Nigel Bond, in January 1990 – after which Werbeniuk then consumed an entire bottle of Scotch to "drown his sorrows" after losing the match.

This is great drama. Yan takes the more difficult brown and misses, now needs a snooker. Should he have refused the gimme blue? Fascinating dilemma...

8 - 8 Williams match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Right shot to take on, just didnt get it. Shouldnt have been short on blue in first place, few bad positional shots there which are ultimately the difference between having a good and really telling lead overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yeah never heard anyone say Williams was #1. Definitely in my top 3-4 favourite players to watch though. Love his relaxed, deft style of play, very unique.

On his absolute best he is neck and neck with Higgins and Ronnie. I just think Higgins’ overall safety and tactical play puts him a whisker ahead of both...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Steve Davis and Parrot giving the game away on commentary setup during the Judd match earlier. The commentators are not in the box in the arena. They are backstage somewhere, so they are totally reliant on the tv pictures. Davis mentionned he couldn't quite make out the angles as well compared to being in the box in the arena.

I knew the commentators were seperated out in the itv tournament in June but for some reason throught they'd have relaxed that a bit more by now. Considering they are sitting close enough in the studio.

• Advertisement

I love to see Willo play on song, he is so relaxed, jokin and getting wine gums off members of the audience. He is the antidote to all the 'intense' build up they try to create to drum up drama for the tv coverage.

Excellent break that from maflin, really had to work hard. Keep waiting for him to wilt but it's not happening yet anyway.

Keeps potting...and potting... Not much higgins can do at the moment.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Great break by Higgins, Maflin can't afford any more mistakes.

Let that frame slip away. Pushing the boat out a little but not sure Maflin can play any other way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I've no idea how this will end.

Martin's long game is unreal. Higgins' is a distant memory.

Higgins is pure granite. But he's relying on Marlin to miss.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Rerack territory here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭fran38

Brian? wrote: »
    I've no idea how this will end.

Martin's long game is unreal. Higgins' is a distant memory.

Higgins is pure granite. But he's relying on Marlin to miss.

They say snooker is a great game for two. But having Martin, Marlin and Higgins play on the one match, glorious lol

Higgins is a monster

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

fran38 wrote: »
    They say snooker is a great game for two. But having Martin, Marlin and Higgins play on the one match, glorious lol

Poxy autocorrect. I've had a couple of beers and didn't proof read it!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Logic should dictate that maflin would clam up and fade from here but if logic always prevailed, sport probably wouldn't be worth watching. Decider would be nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

May have got this wrong, but I thought Maflin got up and conceded a frame there straight after Higgins potted a red. Are players allowed to do this? What if the opponent wanted a bit of potting practice, or was trying to break some scoring record?

It is etiquette to wait for player to finish out but in that instance with interval coming, I'm sure higgins was perfectly fine with it.

53 in front, Higgins puts red and black safe in one shot. That’s how you close a frame out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Higgins is a monster

He's Rasputin/Jason Voorhees/Michael Myers rolled into one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Higgins is favourite to get through now at this rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Higgins is a monster

Have to just stand back and admire the fella. The frame where he had no right to make it 8-10 down sums him up. Plus that effortless double on the red. (Surprised more players do not practice it)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Good man Maflin, there was a risk of losing the head there

All to play for

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Higgins is favourite to get through now at this rate

Ignore me, i haven't a clue :D:D:D:D

In the circumstances, with Higgins putting serious pressure on Mafflin all evening, the opening red of this break was very courageous and the clearance was very impressive. Great match.

They always used to say the pool players from Canada like Big Bill, Thorburn were masters of the double. But yeah J Higgins nails so many of them.

• Advertisement

That red dropping in off the left jaw!!

But fair play to him, when you suspect he's wilting, je gors and finds something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Hope Maflin manages to make it through. Very tough to predict though.

Some serious issues with Maflin's use of the rest all day. He's awful with it. A big weakness in his game that needs to be irooned out.

Rothko wrote: »

Whoever goes through, will likely threaten for the title if they can continue to play the way they have in this game

He looks like a boxer and seems to have a boxers mentality, fearless. Great to see. Flipping great match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

God, I hope Maflin wins this! Higgins has the 147 money, Maflin has battled harder than some past world champs for this.

I know who Mafflin hits the ball like now. Was annoying me. Reminds me of Foulds/Parrott/Dave Harold really punches the ball (no pun intended).

Where has this performance from Maflin come from? Hasn’t made a ranking final in his entire career yet he’s fending off the Master like very few would be able to do.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    God, I hope Maflin wins this! Higgins has the 147 money, Maflin has battled harder than some past world champs for this.

Higgins looks calm and relaxed/fresh and contemplative in his seat though. Signs for him when he is wrecked tired are normally the bloodshot eyes red face. If he gets the chances 13-12 Higgins imo.

Edit jayus what is Maffln on?

• Advertisement

Higgins looks calm and relaxed/fresh and contemplative in his seat though. Signs for when he is wrecked tired are the bloodshot eyes red face. If he gets the chances 13-12 Higgins imo.

Maflin with a great pot in the middle pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

He looks like a boxer and seems to have a boxers mentality, fearless. Great to see. Flipping great match.

Yeah, it's a great attitude to have. I wonder if the lack of a crowd helps with that.

Maflin won't have any regrets about not going for any shots anyway. Not a ball safe with the Viking around.

Come on now Higgins made for matchplay this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Yeah, it's a great attitude to have. I wonder if the lack of a crowd helps with that.

For break building, I'd say it makes it easier for them. The nerves are still there for sure.

* Can't believe he missed that red to the middle!

Kurt did not look at the plant!

• Advertisement

All those reds in baulk are handy 56 up with 59 on

Maflin is sweating something awful...look at the table after he takes a shot

Go on my son

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    For break building, I'd say it makes it easier for them. The nerves are still there for sure.

* Can't believe he missed that red to the middle!

Plus the plant looked handy and obvious - Higgins proved it shot after.

Bad mistake from the wizard now though, game over. Mafflin playing like a legend hope he keeps it up next round.

Biggest win of Maflin's career. This match had it all. Higgins with a memorable maximum and chipping away at Mafflin's lead all day to eventually edge himself 11-10 in front. All the momentum seemed to with Scot but against the odds Maflin summoned some inner strength and found a 5th gear when it mattered most. A Crucible classic seeing a Viking cast a spell and put a Wizard to sleep. Hats off to the burly bruiser.

• Advertisement
Advertisement