Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

And Clarke takes it... Go on Jamie!

Switched over when he needed snookers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Yes, Eurosport have always shown cycling. They will probably have both matches on at 7pm.

To be fair, if i had a choice of either of these matches right now, a concluding session of Selby v Saenghaem is more appealing than an opening session of McGill v Clarke.

Selby is hanging in there and although not many on here give him a chance i still think he's a a very dangerous opponent. Especially at the Crucible as he will grind and grind until there's nothing left and he'll willing to die for the cause.

Not sure why but i can't warm to this new BBC commentator and his whispering hushed tones. Back over to Eurosport and the classic combo of Hendon and Dale.

Great steal by Saengkhaem. Quite a few excellently executed shots in that break. Selby will be sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I think the final session of a three session match will always be shown over a first session.

Impressed with Noppon, quite happy to grind just as hard as Selby and stay patient, still over hitting key balls though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Not sure why but i can't warm to this new BBC commentator and his whispering hushed tones. Back over to Eurosport and the classic combo of Hendon and Dale.

That guy on with Stephen Hendry at the moment is absolutely dreadful. Whispers general ramblings about snooker rather than actually showing any knowledge of the game. Really missing John Virgo this year. They should get Terry Griffiths back on as well.

Not sure I get you. You think Eurosport should show snooker x 2 and forget the cycling? It gets big viewer numbers and is a huge staple of their sporting schedule.
    It's understandable that both BBC and Eurosport have prioritised the Selby game.
    It's unfortunate, but no player is entitled to tv time.

That's a fair point, and hard to offer a counter argument; but it is the "World Championship". "You won't miss a single shot" :D. Not if you have all the add ons, internet coverage etc.... I hope at least the Beeb are showing it (the Clarke - McGill match) on their iplayer for the licence payers the other side of the pond.

Clarke is back ahead at 2-1 now :)

Because the benchmark is the legendary Ted Lowe!!

Ted could get excited and you could 'hear' him smiling etc,.. and still remain in "whispering" mode.. This Dave Farrar pretty monotone - much better if they had Joe Perry or Ebdo (or are they on Eurosport).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Not sure I get you. You think Eurosport should show snooker x 2 and forget the cycling? It gets big viewer numbers and is a huge staple of their sporting schedule.
    It's understandable that both BBC and Eurosport have prioritised the Selby game.
    It's unfortunate, but no player is entitled to tv time.

Cycling is for chumps, watching cycling is even worse :pac:

Enjoying this rather slow but quite tactical battle. You would think Selby may have an advantage in this area but it's looking like the Thai will be going 10-9 in front. The 7pm starting time for the evening match may be under threat.

• Advertisement

What else did Selby expect would happen playing the escape like that? Strange choice of shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Noppon going toe to toe with Selby at his own game and coming out on top in that frame.

Dave Farrar sounding like he’s reading bedtime stories.

Noppon is really impressive. Very solid and cool under pressure

Noppon going toe to toe with Selby at his own game and coming out on top in that frame.

Dave Farrar sounding like he’s reading bedtime stories.

Apparently Farrar is mainly a football commentator. He doesn't know much about snooker anyway!

In other news Clarke 3-1 up against the ginger :)

I agree with the cycling comment above - don't see the interest. Zero hyperbole here but I'd much rather watch indoor bowls, or Curling than ruddy cycling.

Early on in frame 5 - Clarke in, and ahead. Currently on a break afai can tell. Up 24 -13

Couple of brilliant Selby pots there. Prime position for a sizeable break.

Current odds
    Selby 3/10
    Saenghkam 12/5

How did that drop?

Clarke still on a break, 49-13 up, break 44 thus far. Hon Jamie

Couple of brilliant Selby pots there. Prime position for a sizeable break.

Current odds
    Selby 3/10
    Saenghkam 12/5

3/10 very skinny. Frame still in the balance I suppose.

• Advertisement

If they got the clapping done correctly - between that and looking at World Snooker Live Scores, one might have a better notion of what's going on on the other table. Still in frame 5 Clarke 57 - 21 up.

If Ronnie is supposed to be on this table at 7pm and this match forces that to be put back a while you can here Ronnie think to himself in his dressing room 'bloody Selby, i'm not even playing him and he's still torturing me'.

I think Noppon's had a bit of a result there.

And Clarke has gone 4-1 up, would you Adam and Eve it!!?

These qualifiers not lacking in bottle, great to see. Another great pot from Saengkham to get in just now.

Clarke well ahead frame 6, but McGill in and on a break : 52 - 29 the score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Clarke McGill on the red button.

You need the red button channel, when eurosport lets ya down;)

McGill just missed sitter black that would have been 2-4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Beastly steal there from Selby.

Some man to grind.

• Advertisement

Instead its 1-5 now

Alas, red button does nothing :D

Wouldn't say it was a sitter exactly but still expected mcgill to get that.

I'm a big admirer of Selby's battling qualities but one thing i don't like is how often he will play a negative roll up to a ball or a pack. He would stay there all night doing it until his opponent loses the will to live. Ronnie rarely if ever plays a negative roll up. A horrible shot indeed.

Another humdinger of a contest going to a decider. There's no end to this snooker extravaganza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Surely they'll play decider and delay evening session till 7.30

• Advertisement

Are they finishing it out? Must be close to deadline for being hauled off. Probably just about ok.

At least they are letting them finish it off now, and not come back later. Correct decision

7pm on the other table could start as there is no crowd. Players just walk on.

Its a half hour rule isnt it, so they're not beyond the deadline anyway. Or so i think it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Great drama on the BBC as the Meerkats take the stage, I love nature programmes, who won the Selby match?

• Advertisement

I thought it might be 40 minutes. Don't know for sure. Under these circumstances it's a bit different so common sense prevails anyway

Looks like Noppon tried to knuckle the white off the blue pocket there. Didnt work out and the Torturer is back in.

Riviting stuff, there is a battle between flower and tosker to see who can take over meerkat land, they are heading to a well for a drink, lots of twists and turns ahead for sure, as I speak, another twist, flower just landed a crunchy scorpion for tea.

Yeah can't fault these guys for going for it

Such a basic error from noppon to let Selby in there and its probably cost him the match. Shame but good effort and good tournament for him.

Do feel sorry for him, tight margins up at those levels.

Selby does it again. Nerves of steel. And will be so hard to beat going forward. Tough on Saengkhaem but to the victor go the spoils.

All over for tosker, flower marches on, I wonder who she will play in the quarter finals, in snooker news Selby won, this commentary was brought to you by the BBC, where you won't miss a shot

All over for tosker, flower marches on, I wonder who she will play in the quarter finals, in snooker news Selby won, this commentary was brought to you by the BBC, where you won't miss a shot

:D

If ihad to pick one player to win a decider for me it would be Selby. Don't know what his actual decider stays are but he seems to have won a lot of important final frame matches.

• Advertisement
Advertisement