Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Stuck €10 on Clarke @ 12/5 so happy with that 6-2 lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I wouldn't be writing him off exactly but selby hasnt done all that much to convince me he'll be lifting the title next week. Yes i know he'll grind and battle but thats Noppon Saengham he's beaten, not Neil Robertson or Barry Hawkins who'll be the real test next round. I'd fancy either of them a bit more, hawkins a bit of a dark horse as he generally is on this track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Would it be unusual for Ronnie to be commentating just minutes before a match?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Championship Odds

Trump 2/1
    Ronnie 3/1
    Robertson 5/1
    Selby 10/1
    Williams 14/1
    Wilson 14/1
    Mafflin 14/1
    Ding 16/1

Shaky safety play from O’Sullivan so far, Ding’s more solid.

Not convinced by trump at all but that was a nice shot he played there.

Yan Bingtao the first player born this century to play at the Crucible, and he has the acne to prove it:pac:

Ronnie is in for a very tough match here. Ding looks sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

If ihad to pick one player to win a decider for me it would be Selby. Don't know what his actual decider stays are but he seems to have won a lot of important final frame matches.

I'd put Williams up there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

I can't get behind Trump. Personality aside even his playing style for me has become a bit more standardised in recent years. The results speak for themselves, so you can't disagree with it, but my first few memories of him coming into TV coverage a few years ago were marked by genuine heavy metal snooker. Trick shots, hammering stuff in etc. I think he's calmed down and become a bit more professional in his approach, but without the character to become the O'Sullivan heir apparent he was touted as. I'd go for Robertson over him.

Great to see Maflin and Williams get through in fantastic matches. I'm one of those boring c'mon Ronnie guys - can't help it, he'll always be the man for me - but Williams is a very close second.

Won the world championship from out of nowhere a few years ago and went on the lash with his wife for months on end. Hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Championship Odds

Trump 2/1
    Ronnie 3/1
    Robertson 5/1
    Selby 10/1
    Williams 14/1
    Wilson 14/1
    Mafflin 14/1
    Ding 16/1

Mafllin looks great value...his set to play the winner of Clarke/McGill...Trump is potential Semi Final...

Trump has played some poor stuff so far, so Mafllin @14/1 is great value I think, could play it safe and just go each way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ronnie will do well to get out 5-3 tonight I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Judd with a fair run of the balls there that he probably needs to get going tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Mafllin looks great value...his set to play the winner of Clarke/McGill...Trump is potential Semi Final...

Trump has played some poor stuff so far, so Mafllin @14/1 is great value I think, could play it safe and just go each way

Ding isn’t a bad price either, if he beats Ronnie, this could be his year

Oh Yan, dear oh dear...

• Advertisement

Good god, he absolutely butchered that!

Oh Yan, dear oh dear...

Sickener.

Big bounce for Trump

Wats score of the trump match, I don’t have Eurosport and it’s not on bbc

11-9 Trump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

Wats score of the trump match, I don’t have Eurosport and it’s not on bbc

23-9 to Yan in frame 21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Won the world championship from out of nowhere a few years ago and went on the lash with his wife for months on end. Hero.

I find he's a bit contrived with all that....

Like he thinks people will think he's so cool and edgy

I remember after he won a couple years ago......cringe.

Tries to hard to be like/admired.

11-9 Trump

11-10 Trump

Great stuff Rocket. Back in front. 4-3.

walshb wrote: »
    I find he's a bit contrived with all that....

Like he thinks people will think he's so cool and edgy

I remember after he won a couple years ago......cringe.

Tries to hard to be like/admired.

Wrong on all counts there. Had the same attitude when i first saw him 25 years ago. Thats just him, he's never changed.

Wish they'd show the Trump match on red button considering its the final session

I like Judd. To hell with the begrudgers!

Wish they'd show the Trump match on red button considering its the final session

Can watch trump for free on german Eurosport on Astra at 19 Degrees east. I'm too lazy to get some kind of VPN setup to watch stuff on BBC iPlayer with a UK ip address. Internet speed not great anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Steve Davis and Parrot giving the game away on commentary setup during the Judd match earlier. The commentators are not in the box in the arena. They are backstage somewhere, so they are totally reliant on the tv pictures. Davis mentionned he couldn't quite make out the angles as well compared to being in the box in the arena.

I knew the commentators were seperated out in the itv tournament in June but for some reason throught they'd have relaxed that a bit more by now. Considering they are sitting close enough in the studio.

I don'[t know why they couldn't just put 1 in the commentary box at least. I mean the commentary box is backstage in a sense anyway.

An elephant in the room point to make about the covid precautions is both players put their hands on the same table so not shaking hands and not sharing apparatus (if that is what they are doing?) just seems to me to be token gestures for the optics of it.

Red button should switch now to trump

• Advertisement

amens wrote: »
    Can watch trump for free on german Eurosport on Astra at 19 Degrees east. I'm too lazy to get some kind of VPN setup to watch stuff on BBC iPlayer with a UK ip address. Internet speed not great anyway.

Would that mean movin the satellite dish

Judd match on red button now.....Ronnie was gifted a chance to go 5 3 ahead but thrown it away....they’re session ended 4 all

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don'[t know why they couldn't just put 1 in the commentary box at least. I mean the commentary box is backstage in a sense anyway.

An elephant in the room point to make about the covid precautions is both players put their hands on the same table so not shaking hands and not sharing apparatus (if that is what they are doing?) just seems to me to be token gestures for the optics of it.

World snooker is no doubt jumping through all kinds of crazy hoops to keep the tournament going. It doesn't really have to make sense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Wrong on all counts there. Had the same attitude when i first saw him 25 years ago. Thats just him, he's never changed.

Yeah he seems fairly genuine to me. Wins player I'd most like to have a few pints with easily. I don't know if anyone watched Hendry's streams during lockdown. Pretty good stuff. He had Ronnie on a couple of times I think (saw one of them) and I saw him chat to Trump too. Ronnie was good crack and worth a listen. Trump seemed all right just a bit boring. Nothing against the lad. Just a different generation really.

I can't get behind Trump. Personality aside even his playing style for me has become a bit more standardised in recent years. The results speak for themselves, so you can't disagree with it, but my first few memories of him coming into TV coverage a few years ago were marked by genuine heavy metal snooker. Trick shots, hammering stuff in etc. I think he's calmed down and become a bit more professional in his approach, but without the character to become the O'Sullivan heir apparent he was touted as. I'd go for Robertson over him.

Personally, I like Trump a lot. He's a practical player but still very entertaining to watch.

mewso wrote: »
    Yeah he seems fairly genuine to me. Wins player I'd most like to have a few pints with easily. I don't know if anyone watched Hendry's streams during lockdown. Pretty good stuff. He had Ronnie on a couple of times I think (saw one of them) and I saw him chat to Trump too. Ronnie was good crack and worth a listen. Trump seemed all right just a bit boring. Nothing against the lad. Just a different generation really.

Are they on utube

Would that mean movin the satellite dish

Judd match on red button now.....Ronnie was gifted a chance to go 5 3 ahead but thrown it away....they’re session ended 4 all

BBC is on Astra at 28 degrees east so if u want both u would position dish half way between at say 23 degrees east and have two lnbs, one either side of centre and a little diseqc switch under dish that Ur satellite receiver or sat enabled TV controls to switch between the two satellites. You can of course have two dishes if u like or install a motorized drive to move the dish physically every time u change channel :D. The first solution is quite simple to setup actually.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Rothko wrote: »
    Personally, I like Trump a lot. He's a practical player but still very entertaining to watch.

There's something about him I don't like, maybe his fancy shoes. I'm rooting for Yan anyway. Doubt he'll win though.

There's something about him I don't like, maybe his fancy shoes. I'm rooting for Yan anyway. Doubt he'll win though.

Yan wasn't too shy in the fancy brogues stakes himself.:eek:

• Advertisement

Can't say I've noticed his shoes :D

I don't know, it's very tightly balanced. It could easily go either way.

Yan wasn't too shy in the fancy brogues stakes himself.:eek:

No spikes sticking out of them though like trump's

If Judd can get that one frame, he's won 'ugly' without hitting top form at all, and that may be no bad thing for his chances of retaining the trophy.

Yans positional play has scuppered him completely. Be in a winning position now only for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

If ye're snooker fans just pay Eurosport a few quid for the player. They deserve it!

If Judd can get that one frame, he's won 'ugly' without hitting top form at all, and that may be no bad thing for his chances of retaining the trophy.

I thought that too though its more his demeanour and body language that worry me. Took a minute to think on the shot after the last red and still chose wrong shot. Been a while since seen him this ponderous for whatever reason.

• Advertisement

I think he feels the pressure alot at times especially against players he feels he should beat easily and underperforms. If he gets to play Ronnie or robbo he'll play great.

Crazy stuff there on the blue from both of them

How did Yan miss that?

Oh Yan that blue

Thats just ridiculous really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement