Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Skid X wrote: »
    Lively start today, Neil Robertson spills coffee over his trousers and the start is delayed while he cleans himself and the ref and officials tidy up the seating area .

Then when the first frame starts Barry Hawkins sits down in Robertson's chair, and the referee has to stop play again to disinfect both chairs.

Madcap morning. All that was missing was Robbo coming out to the Benny Hill theme tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The girls reffing on both tables could've chased Robbo around an empty Crucible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Martin Gould should have made it 2-1 but no real signs of rustiness as Wilson races to 3-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I wonder did Robertson's complexion influence his decision to pursue a career in snooker. His childhood summers in Australia were a succession of excruciating sunburns, then he discovered the cool, dark snooker hall...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Not sure about the hair bleach, think i prefer Kyren when he confines the tinkering to his cue action! But his game looks in fine fettle early doors anyway, albeit Gould did butcher that golden chance for 1-2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Skid X wrote: »

Then when the first frame starts Barry Hawkins sits down in Robertson's chair, and the referee has to stop play again to disinfect both chairs.

Its been 'higher ranked player sits on the left' at every competition for about 20 years - how the hell could he get that wrong. Unless in his head he is higher ranked than the world number 2.

2 - 1 to the thunder.

It was 2-0 though.

I'd say there's a few disgruntled (in hindsight) punters cursing comms for not telling them in advance that Barry's playing with a new cue. Ken mentioned that Joe Perry told him that it's his first competition with his John Parris stick.

Lads be telling themselves "I'd have lumped on 'Robinson':P if I new that" :pac:

They might be happier if Barry gets a sizeable break here.

Don't know what price he was, but I'd say about 8/13.

Meanwhile, the 'Pinner Potter' claws one back to give this punter some hope of landing the more appealing 7/4 pre-match odds, even if it's not on telly :D:(

2 - 1 to the thunder.

It was 2-0 though.

I'd say there's a few disgruntled (in hindsight) punters cursing comms for not telling them in advance that Barry's playing with a new cue. Ken mentioned that Joe Perry told him that it's his first competition with his John Parris stick.

Lads be telling themselves "I'd have lumped on 'Robinson':P if I new that" :pac:

They might be happier if Barry gets a sizeable break here.

Don't know what price he was, but I'd say about 8/13.

Meanwhile, the 'Pinner Potter' claws one back to give this punter some hope of landing the more appealing 7/4 pre-match odds, even if it's not on telly :D:(

Maybe I was wrong about the scores there... was more interested in checking Gould's progress on the livescores :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

even if it's not on telly :D:(

I could defend the cycling cause of the incredible scenery (seeing places we'll likely never go to) - but the moto stuff they have on today is a step too far.

Sickening on BBC - showing frame 2 the other match during interval, when they're on frame 5 currently

• Advertisement

Gould down 4-1 against Wilson

:rolleyes:"You won't miss a shot" :rolleyes:

No snooker on auntie beeb at all now :mad:.. Nigella Lawson for 'nature lovers' is the current dish (pun/s intended) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

:rolleyes:"You won't miss a shot" :rolleyes:

No snooker on auntie beeb at all now :mad:.. Nigella Lawson for 'nature lovers' is the current dish (pun/s intended) :pac:

It's on the red button. You can tune it in on other channels if you have Sky.

Wilson "only" 5-3 up which he'd have gladly taken pre match but feels like a result for Gould on the basis of the match so far. Interesting match there. Still favour wilson but he's got to be more clinical.

Robertson looking bemused and confused after missing that ball. He has to be the worst player for blaming the table or the pockets when he misses. I've seen him do it so many times. It's a bit over the top.The guy just finds it hard to accept it was his own poor shot.

This mornings line ups didn't get my juices flowing i must say. First time i felt that this tournament. Both matches have opening sessions and i don't really enjoy watching Hawkins or Kyren Wilson at the best of times.

Looking forward to Ronnie at 2.30.

Nice finish from Robertson there. He's a player who conflicts me, very impressive when he's potting fluently and getting on with it but, sometimes, getting bogged down and tending to overthink not hugely complicated positions. An average shot time of over 25 seconds isnt a great sign but he's got a lead so that's what really counts.

The Nal wrote: »

Thanks, I tried.. No joy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Anthony McGill emerges to “Charming Man” by The Smiths. Now that is a tune.

A mistake ridden first frame won by Ronnie in the end. A lot of poor play with Ding the main culprit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Have you any idea what tune you would get it on? Tried this and it doesn't work unfortunately

https://www.horsesportireland.ie/how-to-watch-bbc-red-button-in-ireland/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Have you any idea what tune you would get it on? Tried this and it doesn't work unfortunately

https://www.horsesportireland.ie/how-to-watch-bbc-red-button-in-ireland/

Try this. Looks like the same codes but it updated this year. Red button on page 2

https://ekayi.com/sky-channel-codes-all-you-need/

Ronnie has already missed a plethora of easy shots.

Try this. Looks like the same codes but it updated this year. Red button on page 2

Cheeererrrs, luvvly jubbly - worked a treat that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Im not at home to give it a go atm but hopefully that'll do the job, thanks so much

Worrying signs here for Ronnie. It's all well and good hammering Thep 10-1 but when his opponent is punishing his mistakes like Ding is here Ronnie is looking vulnerable.

Ding knocks in two tons to win that mini session 3-1, the same as last night. Can Ronnie recover again? I'm not sure.

Davis was suggesting the table conditions were upsetting Ronnie but all i saw were rather sloppy errors getting properly punished. Ding would be really wanting a session lead from here.

McGill accusing Clarke of being in his eye line and having words with him. The ref Jans Verhaas having to step in. McGill seems livid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Davis was suggesting the table conditions were upsetting Ronnie but all i saw were rather sloppy errors getting properly punished. Ding would be really wanting a session lead from here.

Just making excuses for him.

He's just playing poorly and missing some easy shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

McGill accusing Clarke of being in his eye line and having words with him. The ref Jans Verhaas having to step in. McGill seems livid.

Got fairly heated there, very unusual. McGill saying it’s been happening all match, including during yesterday’s session.

Reminds me of O’Sullivan v Carter 2 years ago.

The humidity, the tight arena, the grand prize at stake, it’s a cauldron out there....

Couldn't make out what clarke was saying to jan but he didnt seem happy about something either. Not a pleasant situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Couldn't make out what clarke was saying to jan but he didnt seem happy about something either. Not a pleasant situation.

what channel is showing that game?

Thanks The Nal, got them channels just fine - BBC RB1 is the one to select for the snooker fans. I picked out a lot of them, even C Beebies :D

Clarke maintains his advantage: 8 - 2 now.

Great entertainment of the controversial variety in frame 10.

"Charming" was complaining about Clarke moving around putting him off in the last frame (frame 10). Words were had at the time, and more again after Jamie won the frame when he returned- he left arena having won the frame.

Don't think it's the first time this comp that someone has complained about Clarke's movements when the other player is at the table.

Also, In this frame (frame 11) I think Jan thought Clarke was trying to pull a fast one when the ref was replacing the cue ball after a miss. Jan said "No, you needed to swerve it" :D

2 reds left, safety going on, McGill 48-27 ahead in this one.

Happy4all wrote: »
    what channel is showing that game?

Only on the player i think but bbc 1 just showed the argument between them.

And McGill pulls one back. He's only 5 behind now :pac:

8-3 Clarke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Nice break.

I don't like how they always seem to make excuses for Ronnie when he's playing poorly or when someone outplays him, its like "oh ronnie woke up the wrong side of the bed that's why he's playing badly, "oh ronnie is in a bad mood thats why he lost", "ah sher he wasn't up for it thats why he's not playing well", There always seems to be some excuse set up when he loses or plays poorly.

Hard to know what to make of the spat. Not sure i ever heard a player complain about his opponent being in his eye line. But McGill was very angry and at one stage it looke like he rushed out of the arena in pursuit of Clarke. The question is whether Clarke is knowingly doing this or just being clumsy in the tight confines?

Hard to know what to make of the spat. Not sure i ever heard a player complain about his opponent being in his eye line. But McGill was very angry and at one stage it looke like he rushed out of the arena in pursuit of Clarke. The question is whether Clarke is knowingly doing this or just being clumsy in the tight confines?

I really doubt it'd be on purpose but the tight confines would be a poor excuse as these guys play most of their matches during the season in virtual cubicles anyway. Hard to know, may be with no spectators that a player standing just at the corner of your eye will increasingly stand out. McGill should have raised it last night if it was an issue though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Lad in the studio:

"Now gentlemen, i don't want to sensationalise this in any way...... but that was extraordinary wasn't it?":rolleyes:

Re the Clarke/McGill thing

Perhaps because there is no crowd in attendance they could have seperated the seats and given the players a small bit of comfort. Or is it all part of the mental battle of the Crucible?

• Advertisement

The frame winning sequence has been the exact same for todays session as it was for last night. Ronnie wins the first, Ding goes into interval 3-1 in front, Ronnie comes out and wins three on the spin and Ding back in in the final frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Ding has been so unlucky in a few frames since the interval. He could easily be ahead instead of finding himself behind.

And just as I say it, Ronnie gets another massive slice of luck.

Another fast session. Nothing to seperate the two. Get the popcorn in for tomorrow evening as it's going to be tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Unbelievable luck for Ronnie in a lot of that session, but not a word about it from anyone except Hendry in the commentary box. The rest are just a pile of cheerleaders, 8-8, concludes tommorow at 7:00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Clarke and McGill should have a brawl in the car park to sort it out. BBC showing an 8-4 match at 8-2, some carry on as usual

Think the bbc may be overplaying this. You can hear mcgill say to verhaas that "its not a big deal" so i dont think he meant it to escalate the way it did. At the end of the frame, when he dashes out after clarke, i think its merely to defuse the situation. Could be wrong but thats my suspicion anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Think the bbc may be overplaying this. You can hear mcgill say to verhaas that "its not a big deal" so i dont think he meant it to escalate the way it did. At the end of the frame, when he dashes out after clarke, i think its merely to defuse the situation. Could be wrong but thats my suspicion anyway.

That’s how I view it as well.

All credit to Jan Verhaas for handling the situation the way he did, he cut off Clarke fairly lively when Jamie wanted to discuss a similar situation the other day. He slightly looked like he was about to lose his cool with Clarke, did Jan, just slightly though. That how a boss do it:)

Apparently there were seconds. I didn't see this as was watching other table but it would suggest clarke didnt take the inference from anto very well. You'd need to be watching the whole thing to know exacly whats going on.

https://twitter.com/Livesnooker/status/1292124872018210816?s=20

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

sligeach wrote: »
    That’s how I view it as well.

That's what it looks like to me as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement