Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Passenger wrote: »
    Somebody must be standing there pressing some sort of "clapping" button which is indeed peculiar. :pac:

They should get Jamie Clarke to do it. He would love to be pressing the button just as someone draws back the cue.......:D

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Trump wasn't awful there, he played alright. Had some bad luck at crucial points, the in off in the final frame. He did try to force things at some points when it wasn’t really advisable, but that's his style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Fair play Ronnie. Hats off as that was a fantastic session of snooker..He has shown a lot of bottle and fight. Roll on 7pm.

Fair play Ronnie. Hats off as that was a fantastic session of snooker..He has shown a lot of bottle and fight. Roll on 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Can something as incidental as a first time champion not retaining the trophy really be considered a “curse”. They refer to it like it’s an absolutely enormous shock.

Now if every first time champ was getting knocked out in the first round every year I might be inclined to suspect preternatural influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

*cancels all plans for this evening*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

That could easily have been an 8-0 session for Ronnie but it doesn't even seem like he played that well, or Williams that badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

What was the session like overall?
    I only watched the very first frame and while it was still only 9th frame of the match I though it was a body blow the way he ended up losing it.

Didn't see the session finishing 8 a piece after it anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

zuutroy wrote: »
    That could easily have been an 8-0 session for Ronnie but it doesn't even seem like he played that well, or Williams that badly.

Nicely poised for tonight anyway, good even game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Too little too late for Trump. Lost it last night really at 6-2 over the session.

Wilson will probably go on to win this now (I don't really know) and lots of talk about the first round bye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Can something as incidental as a first time champion not retaining the trophy really be considered a “curse”. They refer to it like it’s an absolutely enormous shock.

Now if every first time champ was getting knocked out in the first round every year I might be inclined to suspect preternatural influence.

It could be a kind of self fulfilling thing in that it probably gets into players heads cos the bbc bang on so relentlessly about it. But its way overdone. Defending a title is hard whether you're first timer or not. Only ronnie and selby have done it in last 25 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Of course Trump can always say he held the title longer than any other first time champion of the Crucible era; and if Wilso wins he could possible claim to be the one who held it the shortest time.

All trivial nonsense, of course ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

McGill to give the curse a head-butt and a good kicking in 9 months time?

Can only be him, Maflin or Kyren Wilson anyway to be the next to try, all the others prior winners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I’ve never seen a sportsperson make a sport look so easy , the guy is an artist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I’ve never seen a sportsperson make a sport look so easy , the guy is an artist

Ronnie?

What is score in his QF?

See it now: 8-8

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

walshb wrote: »
    Ronnie?

What is score in his QF?

See it now: 8-8

Yes Ronnie making it look like pool on a table with huge pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Yes Ronnie making it look like pool on a table with huge pockets

Speaking of pockets...Did Ronnie once demand the pockets to be measured, as he felt they weren't within regulation, or had i dreamt that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Too little too late for Trump. Lost it last night really at 6-2 over the session.

Wilson will probably go on to win this now (I don't really know) and lots of talk about the first round bye.

Wilson won't win, he doesn’t have the bottle in my opinion.

The winner will come from the other side of the draw, and it should be fairly easy for them. I thought Maflin could be a dark horse after his first round match, but not really now. It's another average World Championship.

Bad nicknames in this game, the jester from Leicester is a morose individual, the warrior is a mild mannered dude from Swindon, Kurt Maflin should be called the warrior instead of the viking, who is darts heavyweight(or maybe not, since his diet :) Andy Fordham.

Brilliant long red with the white fairly tight on the cushions enables Williams to edge back in front. Looked very composed.

• Advertisement

Ah Ronnie, take the red over the corner. I am sickened by that miss.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

"You never see him complaining, Ronnie O'Sullivan"

Not sure about that Joe.

Forget Shredsville, its Clangersville out there!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Crazy frame.

Horrible standard, Ronnie is absolutely dipped, 3 or 4 chances every frame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

Jeez! I thought the McGill Clarke match was over

Ronnie looking good for 10-9 here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Ronnie looking good for 10-9 here!

And yet again misses and easy pot throwing away the frame.

Sickening frame to lose.

Ronnie blew that...and Williams got luck!!!

• Advertisement

Ronnie blew that...and Williams got luck!!!

Luck goes both ways, Ronnie gets loads of it, he's just not as good as people think, if the standard is rubbish why doesn't he win it every year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Sickening frame to lose.

He should have lost the one before it too after making a mistake

And yet again misses and easy pot throwing away the frame.

Yes..but Williams really nailed a lot of good pots to win it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Yes..but Williams really nailed a lot of good pots to win it..

He should never of had the chance to nail them though, the frame was at Ronnies mercy and he missed an easy pot, he's been doing it all tournament, his game is littered with errors.

He could still go onto win it though, the standard isn't great...but if he gets past williams its selby next and I can't see him beating him unless he stops with the unforced errors.

Best of 5 after the interval

He should never of had the chance to nail them though, the frame was at Ronnies mercy and he missed an easy pot, he's been doing it all tournament, his game is littered with errors.

He could still go onto win it though, the standard isn't great...but if he gets past williams its selby next and I can't see him beating him unless he stops with the unforced errors.

Yes. I think over 33 frames Selby is too tough and tuned in and clinical..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Pink was pushing the boat a bit too far by williams there. No need for it.

Compared to the drudgery in some other matches this is great entertainment. It maybe error strewn at times but it's fast and furious between two of the best.

Best of 5 after the interval

10 all?

• Advertisement

Hard to watch O’Sullivan when he’s like this, feel like he could miss anything. Only he can play that badly and still make a century.

10 all?

It is 10-10. Very even as the score suggests

Some table here for Maflin. Reds absolutely everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Hard to watch O’Sullivan when he’s like this, feel like he could miss anything. Only he can play that badly and still make a century.

Was a decent century though!

Even though there isn't a crowd I reckon there is a lot of pressure out there as can be seen from both players. These guys have seen it all and still it's there, good to see the hunger.

If Maflin can get the next before the interval the comeback is on and McGill could be in for another late night.

If Maflin can get the next before the interval the comeback is on and McGill could be in for another late night.

He's played well today, was a bag of nerves yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Is Williams O'Sullivan gone from BBC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Is Williams O'Sullivan gone from BBC?

It’s on BBC 4

BBC 3 on my TV, she said BBC 4 when they were leaving BBC 2 coverage

Wow. What a flick!