Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

can anyone tell me why ronnie doesn't try to pot the yellow, or tee selby up for a pot? selby needs snookers, why is ronnie getting into a safety battle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Genghis wrote: »
    Selbys motivation for coming back to the table can only be to wreck Ronnies head.

Plus the fact he is capable of getting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Selbys motivation for coming back to the table can only be to wreck Ronnies head.

Might take the wind out of Ronnies sails slightly after the massive boost and also settle himself down a bit.
    Also I think as you say, the more grinding he does the more he wears Ronnie down mentally.

Plus the fact he is capable of getting them.

3 of them?

No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

No. Selby is well capable of getting three snookers. No one is better at getting snookers although he doesn't seem to be doing so well at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

This is why no one likes him.

zuutroy wrote: »
    This is why no one likes him.

That is why no one likes PLAYING him. Big difference between watching and playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Never mind 147's, where all the centuries gone? McGill gets his first of the championship yesterday and none in this semi final between two top players. Very unusual.

I think I saw something about Neil Robertson saying the pockets seemed a bit tighter this year. Even that one Selby just missed, maybe he thought it would drop on another table.

robbiezero wrote: »
    3 of them?

No chance.

He's done numerous times. Probably more than any player. Odds are very long here but Ronnie knows what can happen v Selby in these situations.

He's done numerous times. Probably more than any player. Odds are very long here but Ronnie knows what can happen v Selby in these situations.

He has got 3 snookers with 5 balls left on the table?
    I can't imagine he has done that numerous times.

• Advertisement

Playing for 3 snookers when you're in one with the black safe is just codology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Selby is one of the best at getting snookers, well he was at one point. But this is a really tall ask, especially with the black being on the cushion.

I think I saw something about Neil Robertson saying the pockets seemed a bit tighter this year. Even that one Selby just missed, maybe he thought it would drop on another table.

True i heard Robbo say that but they werescoring centuries for fun in the early rounds and were onfor breaking the record. But they've dried up alarmingly.

Interesting idea to play this out to mentally move on from that miss

robbiezero wrote: »
    He has got 3 snookers with 5 balls left on the table?
    I can't imagine he has done that numerous times.

5 colours left? Thats more than enough and he's done it numerous times.

Ronnie was close to missing the green he was snookered on and could easily have come around the back of itand gone on to leave a free ball. So im just glad he won the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Massive frame for O’Sullivan. On that first “bad” safety I think he had the right idea trying to get in behind the yellow and brown as there was nothing else on. The second was Very rash.

He played the better safety in that frame though in general I thought. Selby left plenty on chances/half-chances and plenty of occasions for O’Sullivan to get his hand on the table

Guaranteed a final session anyway.

Foulds, that is not a good safety from Ronnie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

It will be good to see fans back in the crucible for the final. I wonder how they will react if someone coughs.

• Advertisement

True i heard Robbo say that but they werescoring centuries for fun in the early rounds and were onfor breaking the record. But they've dried up alarmingly.

I did see at least one ball slide in off the cushion from a good bit out. Think it was table 1 whereas Robbo was on table 2. If this table has the cushion rails from the tighter table it could be a big factor. No idea.

Don't think there was any chance of beating last years record of 100 tons going into these semis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Massive frame for O’Sullivan. On that first “bad” safety I think he had the right idea trying to get in behind the yellow and brown as there was nothing else on. The second was Very rash.

He played the better safety in that frame though in general I thought. Selby left plenty on chances/half-chances and plenty of occasions for O’Sullivan to get his hand on the table

Nothing wrong with his second safety, which i presume was the shot to nothing red he left over the pocket. Only problem was he got too close with it, very rare they'd stick in the jaw like that did and he got a decent white.

Hard to see anything other than a fairly comfortable Selby victory.

I did see at least one ball slide in off the cushion from a good bit out. Think it was table 1 whereas Robbo was on table 2. If this table has the cushions from the tighter table it could be a big factor. No idea.

Don't think there was any chance of beating last years record of 100 tons going into these semis.

After the first or second round i heard the commentators mention the record. And a 147 got and two great chances butchered also. Zero century in 16 frames between these two in a World semi is unheard of. A player reaching a semi and only getting one century near the end of that semi is unheard of in 'modern' times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ronnie still in this. Obviously he's not at his best but this is far from peak Selby either. he's throwing in more than a few howlers as well.

petronius wrote: »
    It will be good to see fans back in the crucible for the final. I wonder how they will react if someone coughs.

If it's Selby v Wilson you might not find 300 fans to attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Dumb question, I presume.. but I'm staying with my parents for a few weeks, and they're out for the day... And I can't work the tv :pac:

...Any chance the match is streaming live anywhere online free? :o

I'm sure Brian 'Coventry city' Wright was busy on the old trombone this morning once the 300 seats were announced.

Only for a very poor Selby miss in last frame it really should be 12-7. I have very little faith in a Ronnie revival. He's being bullied out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I have very little faith in a Ronnie revival. He's being bullied out there.

Selbys brilliant at that. No way Ronnie would've bothered going for those snookers a couple of frames ago. Selby did, still lost but wouldn't mind that as it breaks Ronnies momentum.

Only for a very poor Selby miss in last frame it really should be 12-7. I have very little faith in a Ronnie revival. He's being bullied out there.

Yep. Would have been 10-2 out of last 12 frames.
    He is getting fairly slaughtered now. In fairness Selby is top class.

Awful attempt. He's thrown in the towel again.

Should get the full on crumble now...17-10 I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Selby in again. Sinking feeling now. Would be surprised if Ronnie wins one more frame in this session, and if that's the case this evening is a write off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

If it's Selby v Wilson you might not find 300 fans to attend.

Was just thinking myself if it's these two I probably won't watch (maybe dip in and out). Nothing against them just no strong feeling about either and I prefer to watch these matches favoring someone for whatever reason. Some enjoy the craft behind Selbys style. I admire it but don't enjoy watching it. Wilson just seems like a miserable so and so. Maybe he'll smile if he wins.

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    Dumb question, I presume.. but I'm staying with my parents for a few weeks, and they're out for the day... And I can't work the tv :pac:

Youll get the frames on YouTube but it takes an hour or two for someone to upload them.

Flukey O'Sullivan.

Ah stop dangling the carrot of hope. I had checked out!

If it finishes 2-2 from this half of the morning session, then O'Sullivan will have gotten out of jail.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Ficheall wrote: »

If you have a Virgin account you could watch on TV Anywhere (browser based). Its actually pretty good but BBC is blocked during the snooker only since the quarters interestingly but Eurosport is available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

It would be a dreadful advertisement for snooker, although with weaker opposition Selby might not deliberately engage in drawn out safety battles. I'm sure there's a homeless person or two in vicinity of Crucible who might find themselves with a free ticket, can't let the house down.

Selby v McGill would be a nightmare final. I dont mind watching Wilson. Selby has broken Ronnie.
    Would anyone pay to watch a Selby exhibition match!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

No doubt Selby will come back to the table ...

Now another 10 minutes of nonsense.

Cannot believe Ronnie hasn't lost that mini session 4-0 and he deserved to lose them with kamikaze safety shots. A surprising trick missed by Selby and keeps Ronnie in the match.

Jammy O'Sullivan. Selby will be annoyed he's not further ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Ronnie hanging in there despite not playing at all. He's only winning frames where Selby makes mistakes though. He'd really need a few breaks. Interesting, even though there's not any great snooker being played.

Yea I can't remember him knocking in a longish one early and then taking a few reds and blacks. He's somehow hanging on without any bread and butter frames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Cannot believe Ronnie hasn't lost that mini session 4-0 and he deserved to lose them with kamikaze safety shots. A surprising trick missed by Selby and keeps Ronnie in the match.
    Very one-sided view of things. Ronnie was unlucky to leave reds hanging over the pocket in two frames to give Selby the platform to make frame winning breaks. Everybody saying O'Sullivan has thrown in the towel obviously haven't watched him too much over the last few years in the big matches. The guy has one of the biggest hearts in the game (outside of the minor tournaments). Check out last year's tour championship semi-final against Judd when he looked down and out on numerous occasions. Kept fighting back and managed to nick it at the end after pouncing on a Judd error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Does anyone think if Ronnie doesn't win the worlds this year he probably never will again? First semi in 6 years. If he pulled it out of the bag this year he might have the drive to go for another attempt at a record equaling seventh. I think he will need something special to get the win today though I don't see Selby letting him get past him. As a Ronnie supporter it would be sad to look forward to future world championships knowing he is not a real contender. I hope Selby has a collapse for the sake of Snooker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Pighead wrote: »
    Very one-sided view of things. Ronnie was unlucky to leave reds hanging over the pocket in two frames to give Selby the platform to make frame winning breaks. Everybody saying O'Sullivan has thrown in the towel obviously haven't watched him too much over the last few years in the big matches. The guy has one of the biggest hearts in the game (outside of the minor tournaments). Check out last year's tour championship semi-final against Judd when he looked down and out on numerous occasions. Kept fighting back and managed to nick it at the end after pouncing on a Judd error.

Exactly. You’d swear he had given up halfway through yesterday’s session aswell going by a lot of the comments here.

11-9 and it’s all to play for. Both players have had the chance to properly take control of the match. But they haven’t so we are left with a very nicely poised match

• Advertisement
Advertisement