Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

weemcd wrote: »
    Ronnie hanging in there despite not playing at all. He's only winning frames where Selby makes mistakes though. He'd really need a few breaks. Interesting, even though there's not any great snooker being played.

Scrappy enough. 20 frames between two of the GOATs and a highest break of 97.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Pighead wrote: »
    Very one-sided view of things. Ronnie was unlucky to leave reds hanging over the pocket in two frames to give Selby the platform to make frame winning breaks. Everybody saying O'Sullivan has thrown in the towel obviously haven't watched him too much over the last few years in the big matches. The guy has one of the biggest hearts in the game (outside of the minor tournaments). Check out last year's tour championship semi-final against Judd when he looked down and out on numerous occasions. Kept fighting back and managed to nick it at the end after pouncing on a Judd error.

Fair comment but i've been watching him for 25 years and i call it as i see it. None of us are right or wrong all the time. To me the signs were there that he was close to the brink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

henke wrote: »
    Does anyone think if Ronnie doesn't win the worlds this year he probably never will again? First semi in 6 years. If he pulled it out of the bag this year he might have the drive to go for another attempt at a record equaling seventh. I think he will need something special to get the win today though I don't see Selby letting him get past him. As a Ronnie supporter it would be sad to look forward to future world championships knowing he is not a real contender. I hope Selby has a collapse for the sake of Snooker :D

Who knows but thought this year would be his best ever chance given the lack of the usual circus around the event, which he basically conceded himself. Its just such a slog for him and a unrelenting battle against his own nature. I think 6 was never that likely, though possible, but not 7. Be a triumph just to get out of this match alive as things stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Who knows but thought this year would be his best ever chance given the lack of the usual circus around the event, which he basically conceded himself. Its just such a slog for him and a unrelenting battle against his own nature. I think 6 was never that likely, though possible, but not 7. Be a triumph just to get out of this match alive as things stand.

Yeah I thought it was unlikely too given his results there the last few years, but with the lack of circus and gotten this far an opportunity for 6 is there. If he somehow pulled it off the only reason I think he might go all out for one more is the carrot of equaling Hendry is there. But if he doesn't win it this year he wins no more for me unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

This is dreadful stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Strange shot by Selby

Unforgiveable from Ronnie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Unforgiveable from Ronnie.

Head seems to be gone. Such an opportunity. Just calm himself and make sure you pot the red. 11-10 v 12-9 is massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Putting it on a plate for Selby.

• Advertisement

Id love to know how many viewers the Beeb lose and Eurosport gain around now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

'Box office semi final' but, really sorry, now we must replicate the BBC news channel for an hour.

Musn't offend anyone, more than my jobsworth

He's being bullied bigtime and he's not up for the fight. Thats how i see it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

BBC you *****! At least they're consistent, consistently $h1t€. They've BBC4 doing nothing, why not continue it there?

His safety game is non existant. His choice of shot is poor. His break building is miles off. Apart from that Ronnie has a good chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

I think it's all over now. Ronnie can't win a frame at one attempt and that's what he needed to do in order to win this. I'm disappointed, but not one bit surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

BBC4 has cbeebies every day before 7. Fair enough kids tv needs its own place. But replicating a rolling news channel for an hour is just silly.

'Box office semi final' but, really sorry, now we must replicate the BBC news channel for an hour.

Musn't offend anyone, more than my jobsworth

While BBC1 shows Dominic Littlewood, in Dom Does America. Sounds like a p0rn0 title. They couldn't show this another time?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

You'd think Ronnie would have come back there, I know Selby definitely would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

BBC4 has cbeebies every day before 7. Fair enough kids tv needs its own place. But replicating a rolling news channel for an hour is just silly.
    Gardeners world is on at 9:00

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

The Nal wrote: »
    Id love to know how many viewers the Beeb lose and Eurosport gain around now.

None. Just switch to the BBC red button.

• Advertisement

amens wrote: »
    None. Just switch to the BBC red button.

I like a bit of HD. RB is SD. Barbaric.

Ronnies queue action totally gonzo

Foulds 'maybe his resolve is a bit broken'. It was a bit broken when Selby pinched the last frame of the first session. It"s pretty much disappeared now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

Ronnie is really struggling now alright hard to see a way back from this with the way he is playing. Will do well to not be 15-9 behind for the evening session.
    He is getting chances just cant seem to make a meaningful score between just bad misses and a couple of bits of misfortune with kicks etc.

Some of his shot selection is a bit odd to say the least too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

Foulds 'maybe his resolve is a bit broken'. It was a bit broken when Selby pinched the last frame of the first session. It"s pretty much disappeared now.

Thats why Ronnie wont win anymore world championships.
    Dr. Steve must not be able to work his magic anymore!!!

Ronnie getting sloppy and complacent now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Selby just has the Rocket's number in the long matches. He wears him down bit by bit. Would have to give Selby a lot of credit. He's a serious competitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Vital one for Ronnie there.

Peter File wrote: »
    Thats why Ronnie wont win anymore world championships.
    Dr. Steve must not be able to work his magic anymore!!!
    Dr Steve snake oil, Fraudsters all them dudes, remember Tony Quinn that was hypnotising Steve Collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Vital one for Ronnie there.

Massive, he is getting plenty of chances but needing too many to win most frames, if he could somehow win the last frame of the session it will be a great outcome for him.

Selby seems to be making a few mistakes too almost as if he knows he has Ronnie for the taking but struggling to finish him off.

Finally a straightforward chance.

• Advertisement

If Ronnie gets out of here 11-13 it is a result. Selby will be livid.

Honestly this session could and possibly should have been 8-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Oh Ronnie you sticky bit of chewing gum......

Hats off Ronnie for keeping the match alive. He will have to win 6-3 tonight but at least he has a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Ronnie halving this session is mad the way he played.

Now I'll have to decide between this and Barca v Bayern tonight!

Selby will be raging. He could have and probably should have won this session 6-2. I hope he doesn't bottle it this evening.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Honestly this session could and possibly should have been 8-0.

Agree. Minimum 6-2. Dont know how it ended 4-4 but it has. Game still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Selby is going to bottle this isn't he

Fair play to Ronnie. 13-11 is an incredible result going into tonight considering how bad he was.

• Advertisement

Andrew00 wrote: »

Some uncharacteristic butchery towards the end of the session, but I don't think he's capable of choking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Andrew00 wrote: »

Ronnie's gonna bottle it, no Selbys gonna bottle it!
    Who knows!
    If Ronnie wins the 1st frame should make for a great finale

First session could or should probably have been 7-1 to osullivan so guess maybe that kind of balanced itself out in a weird way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ronnie playing poorly but as I said earlier, Selby isn't doing a whole lot better. Poor quality match but gripping all the same. Can't wait for later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

First session could or should probably have been 7-1 to osullivan so guess maybe that kind of balanced itself out in a weird way.

Was thinking the exact same thing

radiata wrote: »
    Was thinking the exact same thing

Yeah, i mean ronnie had luck with that snooker behind the brown but mark missing a simple red into corner pocket as well as an easy brown isnt luck, its just missing and not being clinical when opponent is under the cosh. Game still on. Just about.

• Advertisement

Ronnie has done well to hang in, but needs to raise his game, still all to play for, but it was a session that should have secured the match for Selby. He will be in front, but not by much, could have been 15-9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Selby was 1/10 to win this not even an hour ago

Great evening session to look forward to anyway. With Ronnie, it could easily be 13-13 after 10 minutes.

Ronnie must be sitting in his dressing room thinking 'i've been absolute pants for two sessions but he's missed a few and i'm only two behind when it should be out of reach. If i can up my game a bit and put him under a bit of pressure i have a chance".

Selby sitting in his dressing room ' Vicki, please help me. He's been pants. How is this match not over. I'm sick".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Pighead wrote: »
    Ronnie playing poorly but as I said earlier, Selby isn't doing a whole lot better. Poor quality match but gripping all the same. Can't wait for later on.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Some awful snooker and nothing in the way of breaks but I've been glued to evey minute of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement