Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

It’s mad how this game has gone from the start.

Great final session to look forward to now. The first frame is absolutely massive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

MrKingsley wrote: »
    It’s mad how this game has gone from the start.

Great final session to look forward to now. The first frame is absolutely massive
    Exactly. First frame is monumental. You would think Ronnie has to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Current odds
    Selby 4/7
    Ronnie 11/8

Shows how much the bookies thought of Ronnie's chances earlier on when Selby went out 1/10 which equates to a 90% chance of winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ronnie must be sitting in his dressing room thinking 'i've been absolute pants for two sessions but he's missed a few and i'm only two behind when it should be out of reach. If i can up my game a bit and put him under a bit of pressure i have a chance".

Selby sitting in his dressing room ' Vicki, please help me. He's been pants. How is this match not over. I'm sick".

Selby having a Carlow ex pool playing woman to help him get back on track, secret behind his success. :D

Funny thing is I think standard of snooker better in Wilson v McGill better than Selby v O'Sullivan. Amazing what a bit of brand recognition does!

Selby v RO'S match mistakes excused - number of world titles between them repeatedly mentioned. McGill v Wilson tone is kind of ah sure only thier first world semi. Not much expected.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Champions play the big shots, it's what made them champions. Ronnie needs a bit of luck, but I fully expect he'll be taking on big shots to get in first. Could be the sword he dies on, but you have to go for it, Selby has sunk a lot of big shots to get in, Ronnie needs to do the same.

Current odds
    Selby 4/7
    Ronnie 11/8

Shows how much the bookies thought of Ronnie's chances earlier on when Selby went out 1/10 which equates to a 90% chance of winning.

Ronnie already looks drained in my opinion. Has that "I want to go home mate" vibe about him. All Selby has to do is keep at him chipping away. Keep the pace slow and tight. Selby will be annoyed he is not further ahead, but I think he has Ronnie mentally.

Champions play the big shots, it's what made them champions. Ronnie needs a bit of luck, but I fully expect he'll be taking on big shots to get in first. Could be the sword he dies on, but you have to go for it, Selby has sunk a lot of big shots to get in, Ronnie needs to do the same.

I think Ronnie has lost his confidence in his long game, and deep down I don't think he believes he can beat Selby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Says something though that a well off colour Ronnie can still be in there for the final session 13-11 against what some will see as the champion elect.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

radiata wrote: »
    Ronnie's gonna bottle it, no Selbys gonna bottle it!
    Who knows!
    If Ronnie wins the 1st frame should make for a great finale

Hard to know how the final session will go alright, but it should be good

Ronnie already looks drained in my opinion. Has that "I want to go home mate" vibe about him. All Selby has to do is keep at him chipping away. Keep the pace slow and tight. Selby will be annoyed he is not further ahead, but I think he has Ronnie mentally.

He did look drained and beaten for quite a while but has had a bit of a reprieve and it will give him a nice little jolt for tonight. But it could disappear just as fast with a couple of mistakes and if Selby takes the first frame or two. He's hanging on by his fingernails.

• Advertisement

Says something though that a well off colour Ronnie can still be in there for the final session 13-11 against what some will see as the champion elect.

You could argue that was more Selby's fault, rather than Ronnie causing it. Yet despite this Selby is still 13-11 up from 5-2 down. Against 'the greatest player who ever picked up a cue' as the phrase goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

That should be 14 - 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ronnie will be on fire this evening. Knows he got out of jail. Will take the first 2 frames. And break down Selbys resolve.

I think Ronnie is in a more advantageous position being 2 down rather than 2 up going into a final session with Selby. I know it that sounds wrong, in that it's better to be ahead. But if he were 2 up going into last session and playing badly, he's the type that would get complacent and a little excited. And it could all go wrong against someone who likes to grinds opponents into submission.

Anyway, like it's been said. First frame is vital. I hope the "on fire" Ronnie turns up straight away.

You could argue that was more Selby's fault, rather than Ronnie causing it. Yet despite this Selby is still 13-11 up from 5-2 down. Against 'the greatest player who ever picked up a cue' as the phrase goes.

No argument. Definately more Selby"s poor misses than Ronnie forcing or creating the openings himself. Very surprising misses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Ronnie isn't in this session at all so far. Some of those missed pots you would expect to be bread and butter for him.

I would also give Wilson a very good chance now of beating either player in the final.

He did look drained and beaten for quite a while but has had a bit of a reprieve and it will give him a nice little jolt for tonight. But it could disappear just as fast with a couple of mistakes and if Selby takes the first frame or two. He's hanging on by his fingernails.

As another poster said first frame back crucial. Ronnie will need to make it a quick frame win. I think if Selby makes it a long frame (even if he loses it) will be as good as win for him. Because those frames wreck Ronnie's rhythm and concentration.
    I love watching Selby v Ronnie matches always fascinating psychology going on underneath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I think Ronnie has lost his confidence in his long game, and deep down I don't think he believes he can beat Selby.

haha a five time world champion and the best player to ever play the game doesn't think he can beat selby.
    Go back to bed.

I would also give Wilson a very good chance now of beating either player in the final.
    Agreed. He's definitely playing the best out of the four remaining players. Final will be no foregone conclusion. Will help Wilson if he can get the job done quickly this afternoon and rest up while Selby and O'Sullivan slog it out later.

• Advertisement

As another poster said first frame back crucial. Ronnie will need to make it a quick frame win. I think if Selby makes it a long frame (even if he loses it) will be as good as win for him. Because those frames wreck Ronnie's rhythm and concentration.
    I love watching Selby v Ronnie matches always fascinating psychology going on underneath.

Huge psychology. Whats going on between the two players ears dictates what happens on the table and Selby has been the stronger of the two for the majority thus far.

haha a five time world champion and the best player to ever play the game doesn't think he can beat selby.
    Go back to bed.

Ronnie has said it himself on numerous times, dreads playing him in long matches and has called him the torturer.

Look at past results in long matches and the WC in particular.

https://cuetracker.net/head-to-head/mark-selby/ronnie-osullivan

No argument. Definately more Selby"s poor misses than Ronnie forcing or creating the openings himself. Very surprising misses.

Suppose the point is I don't think any player has really shone this last fortnight. There are still 6 sessions to go at the business end though. Selby struggled in round 1 and 2 and in large parts of this semi final like this morning.

You could argue Wilson has done little enough wrong, and McGill is playing above his usual self, but nobody has been really strong like Ronnie in the past, even Bingham in 2015 or Willo/Higgins in 2018 or Judd last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Ronnie has said it himself on numerous times, dreads playing him in long matches and has called him the torturer.

that's not what you said, anyone would hate to play selby he's the slowest player on tour, with the worst technique on tour.
    Any purist or real follower of the game know's it.
    Of course he's successful at it fair dues, but never in the top 5 of all time as someone laughingly suggested earlier in the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

What time is Ronnie back on at tonight? Will have to decide weather to watch the soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

What time is Ronnie back on at tonight? Will have to decide weather to watch the soccer.

7:00

• Advertisement

Reminds me a lot of the 2014 final. When Selby eventually turned the screw and got on top he pretty much destroyed Ronnie who had no answer to the onslaught. Pretty much the same here as Selby has totally dominated Ronnie over the last session and a half but the one difference is he missed two vital frame and possibly match winning balls that has somehow offered Ronniea lifeline. Can Ronnie take that chance is the question?

that's not what you said, anyone would hate to play selby he's the slowest player on tour, with the worst technique on tour.
    Any purist or real follower of the game know's it.

I never said this re-read post. Also I never called Selby the slowest player on tour, you did. Also I never said Selby has the worst technique on tour. You did.

Neither statement is true as there are many slower players than Selby, and there have being many with much worse technique.

http://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/TourPlayers/Index/14139
    Of course he's successful at it fair dues, but never in the top 5 of all time as someone laughingly suggested earlier in the thread

I probably would not have Selby in the top five of all time as yet, as he needs more longevity and world titles to be considered.

The lack of any real pre or post match debate on BBC during this tournamenthas been appalling. Steve Davis and Parrot just now could have teased out the Ronnie v Selby game a little but they show last nights final frame of McGill v Wilson. Its happened all tournament. I realise there's certain restrictions but good debate and analysis is completely absent and it's taking away from the viewing.

I don't know why bbc and Eurosport are both now currently showing the last frame of the previous session between Wilson and Antny.

The lack of any real pre or post match debate on BBC during this tournamenthas been appalling. Steve Davis and Parrot just now could have teased out the Ronnie v Selby game a little but they show last nights final frame of McGill v Wilson. Its happened all tournament. I realise there's certain restrictions but good debate and analysis is completely absent and it's taking away from the viewing.

This is where Hazel is missed she was good at drawing opinions out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I don't know why bbc and Eurosport are both now currently showing the last frame of the previous session between Wilson and Antny.

i'd imagine to fill time...The tables need to be cleaned and the chairs cleaned and disinfected due to CoVid19 measures...Before the final session of Anthony & Wilson can start

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    i'd imagine to fill time...The tables need to be cleaned and the chairs cleaned and disinfected due to CoVid19 measures...Before the final session of Anthony & Wilson can start

I mean, why not some punditry instead, half two was always the dedicated start time I think.

This is where Hazel is missed she was good at drawing opinions out.

Perhaps Hazel has hit the 'ceiling' age wise. This new Asian looking one is younger and 'fitter' I suppose.. Pity, I'd rather see punditry than repeats of frames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Perhaps Hazel has hit the 'ceiling' age wise. This new Asian looking one is younger and 'fitter' I suppose.. Pity, I'd rather see punditry than repeats of frames.

Nah Hazel had to stay at home to deal with a family illness. Virgo got stuck in Spain. They'll both be back.

The Nal wrote: »
    Nah Hazel had to stay at home to deal with a family illness. Virgo got stuck in Spain. They'll both be back.

Thanks, I didn't know that.. I also thought Virgo was retired - I think he should be 'put out to pasture' :pac: anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Wonder will mcgill change tact today.

He seemed to loosen the shackles in that last frame yesterday.

Wonder will he speed up a little today.

Seema is certainly younger & fitter. She certainly tries...Claire Baldwin would have been better i think, even if she isn't familiar with the sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭fran38

Ferrar comparing snooker to ballet with the cameramen going into position. Almost Phil Yatesesque lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

It’s one of the few sporting events that BBC still show live but they are treating it like an unwanted in-law at a family dinner.

You think they’d see it as a chance to keep people interested in the sport as there is so little else on at the minute but they don’t seem to be bothered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Pockets are laughable at this stage . No way that red along the cushion should have went in there . Couldn’t believe it dropped . Was nowhere near pocket and still went in

• Advertisement

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Seema is certainly younger & fitter. She certainly tries...Claire Baldwin would have been better i think, even if she isn't familiar with the sport

Claire Baldwin? - never heard of her.

Surely you don't mean Clare Balding? - Say it aint so :D

Why isn't he in the argument for top five of all time? If he wins this World Championship he is very much in the argument. Even without winning it you could make an argument for him. My current top 5 is Ronnie, Hendry, J Higgins, S. Davis and Selby who just shades Williams.

Poor girl (Seema) has an air of being thrown in at the deep end, no time to build rapport and learn to ask snooker type questions. Has to stick to generalities.

I suppose you are right male presenters have more longevity, probably unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Hurry up lads, gardeners world is on at 9

Poor girl (Seema) has an air of being thrown in at the deep end, no time to build rapport and learn to ask snooker type questions. Has to stick to generalities.

Probably unfair alright, but then again I could look at Rachel Casey all day when she's on snooker duties on Eurosport :)

Haven't seen her thus far though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Seema is enthusiastic, and leaves the talk to the pundits, she does a good job. There are not many ways you can ask the same questions

MrKingsley wrote: »
    It’s one of the few sporting events that BBC still show live but they are treating it like an unwanted in-law at a family dinner.

You think they’d see it as a chance to keep people interested in the sport as there is so little else on at the minute but they don’t seem to be bothered

What annoys me more is the programmes they put on instead, 'natural world', or the likes - filler shows that could have been put on anywhere. Fortunately I have satellite that can get red button and bbc four. Remember when did not have red button used to go ape - mid frame and tension.

It's funny how a player's walk on music fits their character.

Ronnie's and Mark William's I will always associate with them. And Kyren Wilson's one matches what I expect him to be like perfectly.

Claire Baldwin? - never heard of her.

Surely you don't mean Clare Balding? - Say it aint so :D

Yeah that's who i meant...Not a fan of hers, but at least she would be a better presenter

• Advertisement

I remember a few posters on here basically writing off Selby's chances of winning this year due to being a little off form for a while. No way i agreed with that as his game is suited to the long grind of Sheffield and to be fair if he wins this year and lands a 4th World title in 7 years he definately has to go down as one of the greats. He will have equalled Higgins and only be one off Ronnie and you would give him a great chance of winning another one or two in future yesrs as he's in tip top shape and still pretty young. His style is not to many people's liking but he's a winner that turns his opponents to jelly at times. Selby is probably the hardest match player i've ever seen.

Advertisement