Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The other lad this morning with the big hair was so casual looking with his sneakers on and chequered shirt. Looked like he was off down the high street for a haircut Saturday afternoon.

I thought we are a long way from the circumspect days of David Vine and Rex Williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

The warrior battles through the first frame in swashbuckling style, wielding his cue like a cutlass, he has inflicted a killer blow on his opponent, and it only took half an hour, eastenders is on BBC 1, but you can't beat this for drama(stole that one, think Sid Waddell said it on the darts)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Seema is enthusiastic, and leaves the talk to the pundits, she does a good job. There are not many ways you can ask the same questions

Yeah i suppose, but Hazel had the confidence to wind the lads up a bit etc. It will come with time hopefully. I can't that Radzi fella seriously at all though. Seems to know nothing about snooker.

The other lad this morning with the big hair was so casual looking with his sneakers on and chequered shirt. Looked like he was off down the high street for a haircut Saturday afternoon.

I thought we are a long way from the circumspect days of David Vine and Rex Williams.

Radzi Chinyanganya

Plus he did used to be on Blue Peter (only guessed that before, looked the type)

https://www.northbanktalent.com/clients/childrens-young-adult/radzi-chinyanganya/

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

That lad with the Marianne Fellaini hair do did an interview in Ding's Sheffield academy where the most interesting thing was Ding saying you get a good Chinese hotpot in Chonquing. It was pretty lame stuff (and i'm not talking about the hotpot).

The warrior battles through the first frame in swashbuckling style, wielding his cue like a cutlass, he has inflicted a killer blow on his opponent, and it only took half an hour, eastenders is on BBC 1, but you can't beat this for drama(stole that one, think Sid Waddell said it on the darts)

You're number one on here in comedy stakes - keep em coming, if ya can :pac:

• Advertisement

You're number one on here in comedy stakes - keep em coming, if ya can :pac:

I'm here all week, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I can’t remember the last time I heard commentators talking about “match players” this much. Now whilst I understand it relates to the players ability to adapt to the match situation I see it as just another way of saying “snooker player”.

The best players, and the most successful ones, will have complete games. Safety, tactics, long potting and break building.

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Who's commentating on the Wilson McGill match on bbc with Hendry?

Is it Dominic Dale?

That right hand black pocket is savage generous

Yeah i suppose, but Hazel had the confidence to wind the lads up a bit etc. It will come with time hopefully. I can't that Radzi fella seriously at all though. Seems to know nothing about snooker.

Radzi Chinyanganya

Plus he did used to be on Blue Peter (only guessed that before, looked the type)

https://www.northbanktalent.com/clients/childrens-young-adult/radzi-chinyanganya/

He strikes me as a guy who was made to a BBC funded active listening course the way he presents and does his interviews.

However he still seems to just have his script ready at the start and goes with it regardless of the answers he’s given

• Advertisement

MrKingsley wrote: »
    He strikes me as a guy who was made to a BBC funded active listening course the way he presents and does his interviews.

However he still seems to just have his script ready at the start and goes with it regardless of the answers he’s given

Radzi is swanning around all week with angles, he's a nice lad, but is obviously there to fill the minority quota, he has a child's mentality, constantly amazed by everything. Nice lad though, might get the kids into snooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

As was said before Radzi should be doing children’s TV, looks like he belongs on CBeebies.

Seema isn’t suited for snooker, too light and breezy. No substance or snooker knowledge in any of her questions or comments.

I think it’s fairly obvious they got the job so the BBC could fill their female/BAME quotas.

Who's commentating on the Wilson McGill match on bbc with Hendry?

Is it Dominic Dale?

No, it's not DD. It's a new guy - 'Whispering' Dave Farrar. Don't know anything about him, first I heard from him was at this comp.

Good stuff from McGill to stay in it, Steve Davis is funny

Yea this Radzi lad was a breath of fresh hair the first day i heard him but now the novelty has worn off and his over exuberance for even the most mundane comment is a little off putting to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

He might well lose but my respect for mcgill is growing with each frame. Kind of mystifying why he should have been languishing so far down the rankings, may be he struggles for motivation in some of the lesser events.

Radzi is swanning around all week with angles, he's a nice lad, but is obviously there to fill the minority quota, he has a child's mentality, constantly amazed by everything. Nice lad though, might get the kids into snooker.

:D This sums him up real innocence about the fella. Hopefully, it does get a new generation watching/playing - game needs it.

Bad miss from McGill, lucky not to leave anything, then Wilson plays a rotten shot, could be in trouble now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Some players are just suited to the Crucible. E.g. Barry the hawk.

It could be the long matches favour them. If we could ever get the UK back to the long match format we'd have that extra dimension to the game.

At least that new ITV Coral championship with the longer matches was a step in the right direction.

He's a decent player McGill but there are lots of good players out there. I don't pay much heed to rankings myself as their constantly changing. Anyone inside the top 50 is well capable of playing or beating anyone else. I suppose consistency is the issue. As well as McGill has done all week he could easily have lost one of his deciding frame matches so luck always plays a part. But he'll take away a nice hefty pay packet and deserves every penny.

• Advertisement

No, it's not DD. It's a new guy - 'Whispering' Dave Farrar. Don't know anything about him, first I heard from him was at this comp.

I dunno whether I like this Farrar fella or not, bit mixed on him. Seems knowledgeable but then goes way over dramatic, and sounds like he is about to cry.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dave-farrar-105a8824?originalSubdomain=uk

Farrar does voiceovers explains it!

Did Gary Wilson get to a semi final? Joe Swail did. Nigel Bond. They'll never be thrown about in.any 'great player' debates. Sheffield suits some more than others i guess.

I said it before, and I'll say it again... Kyren Wilson will never win the World's. I could well be wrong, as the current crop around his age, and younger are pretty poor relative to the likes of Allen , Murphy, Trump, Robbo, Selby et al, not to mention the 'class of 92'.

I also don't think that Mark Allen will ever win it, as Ronnie rates him as one of the best to have not done so. Don't think he's suited to the long format - I think Wilson is though, but just not good enough imo.

The greatest/one of the greatest 'rest players' K Wilson - well, for a tall guy he sure makes a lot of use of it :pac:

I still hope he beats McGill though, and gets to the final. McGill, for me, is only a very good good player (not that that makes sense). He's like a cross between a poor man's K Wilson and a poor man's Davis.

It would be an unlikely travesty if McGill gets through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Was the red to the middle poor queing or a massive kick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

It could be the long matches favour them. If we could ever get the UK back to the long match format we'd have that extra dimension to the game.

At least that new ITV Coral championship with the longer matches was a step in the right direction.

McGill has qualified for the crucible every year since 2015 so it's definitely a good fit for him. And long format uk was a terrible loss, scandal really.

I think McGill is channeling his inner Dott. Determined head on him.

I think short format is the only way forward if they want to grow the sport and get more viewers...

Limited over cricket has opened the whole sport up to a different audience...I watch a little test cricket but only the ashes & Ireland...but I'll pretty much watch anything T20... People's attention spans are getting shorter and shorter...

Personally I do enjoy the long match format of the world's

I was getting a Dott vibe off him, no real flair, efficient and patient

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I think short format is the only way forward if they want to grow the sport and get more viewers...

Limited over cricket has opened the whole sport up to a different audience...I watch a little test cricket but only the ashes & Ireland...but I'll pretty much watch anything T20... People's attention spans are getting shorter and shorter...

Personally I do enjoy the long match format of the world's

Yea i agree. The mega marathon sessions have their place at Sheffield. I don't mind the shorter framed matches at the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Poor girl (Seema) has an air of being thrown in at the deep end, no time to build rapport and learn to ask snooker type questions. Has to stick to generalities.

I suppose you are right male presenters have more longevity, probably unfair.

It's not her first time presenting the snooker coverage

Rothko wrote: »
    It's not her first time presenting the snooker coverage

Not by a long shot. She's at it a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Did Gary Wilson get to a semi final? Joe Swail did. Nigel Bond. They'll never be thrown about in.any 'great player' debates. Sheffield suits some more than others i guess.

Gary Wilson was there last year

Was just going to mention Dott, another man who had a good crucible record, think he had a few health problems, but I might be mixing him up with another handy Scotsman, Chris Small, think he had a spinal condition

Last year I'm pretty sure he got there, only narrowly losing to Trump in semi. I was rooting for him at the time, as I feel he got that far on merit, and not an 'easy path' like this year's dark horse McGill. Just checked Wiki - He beat Brecel, Selby, and Carter, so he got there the hard way no doubt.

I don't mean to keep ragging on McGill, but I just can't rate him, despite him having patches of looking like a worldbeater if one only ever saw him while he was playing well.

Rothko wrote: »
    Gary Wilson was there last year

Did he? Goes to prove semi final losers really are forgotten. Now you say it i still don't remember.

• Advertisement

Did he? Goes to prove semi final losers really are forgotten. Now you say it i still don't remember.

Thought Dave Gilbert was OK, Wilson must have lost to Trump, Gilbert lost a close one to Higgins, I was supposed to be cutting the grass, ended about 7:00 on Saturday

Comparisons to Graeme Dott - didn't he get to two or three Crucible Finals. I think folk are being generous to McGill.

Thought Dave Gilbert was OK, Wilson must have lost to Trump, Gilbert lost a close one to Higgins, I was supposed to be cutting the grass, ended about 7:00 on Saturday

Of course yea i remember Gilbert in tears after losing. Just don't remember Wilson.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I don't mean to keep ragging on McGill, but I just can't rate him, despite him having patches of looking like a worldbeater if one only ever saw him while he was playing well.

To be honest I've nothing but admiration for him and how he has fought his way this far. I don't find him all that interesting to watch as a player but his composure is fantastic and I hope he gets through here so I can have someone to wish well in the final if Selby gets past Ronnie.

All's I know is betting against McGill is a poor proposition - Wilson (-5.5 frames) at 6/5 long gone up in smoke :D

I'm only backing Ronnie IFF he gets to the final, and IFF it's against Wilson (still be price dependant though). 8/11 - 4/5 giving away about 2 1/2 frames would appeal perhaps. :pac:

• Advertisement

Brilliant stuff from McGill the last few frames. Some very courageous shots and nearly all going plum in the middle of the pocket.

mewso wrote: »
    To be honest I've nothing but admiration for him and how he has fought his way this far. I don't find him all that interesting to watch as a player but his composure is fantastic and I hope he gets through here so I can have someone to wish well in the final if Selby gets past Ronnie.

Couldn’t agree more.

I’d much rather root for a solid(If limited) player who is playing to the best of their capabilities rather than a “top quality” player who is only at 70-80%.

Comparisons to Graeme Dott - didn't he get to two or three Crucible Finals. I think folk are being generous to McGill.

14 each now, so McGill might get to one, he was a quarter finalist on his debut, on the subject of Scottish players, I think Maguire, who had a decent year, is the most disappointing of the lot, looked to have all the ingredients, but never baked the cake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Century number 2 of the tournament for McGill.

14 each now, so McGill might get to one, he was a quarter finalist on his debut, on the subject of Scottish players, I think Maguire, who had a decent year, is the most disappointing of the lot, looked to have all the ingredients, but never baked the cake

He was always missing one of the most vital ingrediants: Temperament!

All's I know is betting against McGill is a poor proposition - Wilson (-5.5 frames) at 6/5 long gone up in smoke :D

I'm only backing Ronnie IFF he gets to the final, and IFF it's against Wilson (still be price dependant though). 8/11 - 4/5 giving away about 2 1/2 frames would appeal perhaps. :pac:
    If McGill plays Ronnie it will be 1-7 v 4-1, and about 5.5 handicap. Why do punters accept such poor percentages😁

He was always missing one of the most vital ingrediants: Temperament!

Absolutely right, got flustered a bit too easily

This is gone beyond a joke. They have a 15 minute interval to disect this match but after about one minute of praising McGill the BBC are now showing Higgins 147 again. The lads are in the studio why not make them work for their money and keep the viewers entertained, also?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Absolute quality from McGill, if you’re not enjoying this you shouldn’t be watching snooker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Maguire was wiping his shaft a lot last night and playing well. Might need to start wiping it again. Looks to be getting a bit sticky. He was stroking the balls well last night. He’s coming undone this afternoon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement