Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

There is a direct correlation between the success of Selby's tactics and Ronnie taking reckless shots. Bit rich to complain about it.

Damn straight. When you're being strangled, you lash out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Pighead wrote: »
    Selby being salty as hell makes Ronnie's victory even sweeter.

Exactly, there is no love loss between the two of them anyway.

I feel that Selby was getting him back for his constant comments on his cue action and that he was only at about 70 percent because of it. That would be disrespectful to selby because selby will feel and rightly so that he played at 100 per cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Selby accusing Ron of disrespecting himself and the game of snooker by blasting balls everytime he had him in a snooker. Wow!

Didn’t see the interview but that’s poor from Selby, I’m not a huge Ronnie fan at all as regards his personality outside of his actual snooker ability but Selby when he calms down I think will maybe think he should have kept his emotions and comments in check.

Ronnie is entitled to play the game within the rules which he did. I’d say maybe it doesn’t add to the game as a spectacle going about just smashing them like that but he’s the player, I’m just the spectator.

What might annoy Selby is that on a few occasions Ronnie seemed to get a really jammy outcome from the ‘smash’ and grab which probably grated which it would but... such is sport..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Augme

Funny to see the Ronnie fan boys who all complained about people being easily offended by Ronnie saying the young players are awful now suddenly acting all offended about Selby's comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Finally we see Selby's true colours. The king of mind games accusing Ronnie of gamesmanship. The guy that takes an age over obvious shots.You couldn't make it up.

Off home now with Vicky, there's a good lad.

Ah here, he might have been out of order with his interview, but that must have been such a draining match to be part of, with emotions running high. He generally seems quite sound, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt on this one. Similar to Ronnie's disrespectful comments last week, which were out of character

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Just dawned on me I had tickets for this 2 sessions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

Hopefully 8 year olds all around the world were watching that today and now want to pick up a cue action.

And the cycle goes on

Only problem is they’ll all be just lashing it and hoping for the best :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Selby being interviewed on eurosport now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Augme wrote: »
    Funny to see the Ronnie fan boys who all complained about people being easily offended by Ronnie saying the young players are awful now suddenly acting all offended about Selby's comments.

I don't think what Ronnie said was completely okay but saying that about your opponent straight after the match is completely out of order no matter who it is you are talki about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

zuutroy wrote: »

Well, at least it went ahead, because what an amazing day of snooker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Very disappointed in Selby there. He's gone down in my estimation after that. Pretty disgusting words and he'll lose even more fans because of that.

Complete opposite for me he has gained a fan. Ronnie was taking the p and Selby called him out on it. If Ronnie lost I would say the line would be 'not bovvered really'. Not same as ROS v Robidoux because at least he was trying to win. Part of this Semi was just I don't care Selby - watch this - hit and hope - hit and hope.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Selby being interviewed on eurosort now

Has he calmed down ?

Mark is past his Selby date...I'll get me coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

weemcd wrote: »
    With a bit more sense Ronnie would be right in this, but he's playing complete hatchet snooker, if such a thing exists. Pity.

Maybe I'll shut my damn mouth.

Selby getting stick for his post match comments. Does anyone have a clip of what he said?

Ah jayus :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Has he calmed down ?

He said the same thing about the snookers that Ronnie was in. Hitting the ball 100 miles an hour not aiming

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Selby also accused Ronnie of being in his eye line and moving on one of his shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Complete opposite for me he has gained a fan. Ronnie was taking the p and Selby called him out on it. If Ronnie lost I would say the line would be 'not bovvered really'. Not same as ROS v Robidoux because at least he was trying to win. Part of this Semi was just I don't care Selby - watch this - hit and hope - hit and hope.

Selby is a boring cnut. Who would want to align to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

You're not serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Would Selby have said anything if he'd won? Doubt it.

He's as sick as a dog, and I'm delighted for him.

• Advertisement

He said the same thing about the snookers that Ronnie was in. Hitting the ball 100 miles an hour not aiming

Reminds me of robidoux complaining about him playing left handed years ago. It’s sour grapes of the highest order, he broke no rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

that's exactly the point, just coming across as a sore loser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Selby should be taking that as a compliment.

Should be thinking "I have him. Hit and hope is the only way he
    thinks he can beat me."

Wouldn't have said it if he won. Fk him.

Yes he was quite happy to take the easy red the first time it was presented to him after a hit and hope escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

And comments about disrespectful to the game. Himself and Shaun Murphy should get a room.

Ah here, he might have been out of order with his inRobidouxerview, but that must have been such a draining match to be part of, with emotions running high. He generally seems quite sound, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt on this one. Similar to Ronnie's disrespectful comments last week, which were out of character

Not out of character for Ronnie has a history of making disrespectful comments about fellow pros plenty of times and also playing hit and hope snooker. Grand his natural talent got him through today, but let's not rewrite history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

Selby is understandably upset
    He should have won the match comfortably and he threw it away

The mind games got to him
    It’s something he’ll have to learn from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Augme

petes wrote: »
    I don't think what Ronnie said was completely okay but saying that about your opponent straight after the match is completely out of order no matter who it is you are talki about.

I think it was poor form but given the nature of the match I can forgive him being extremely frustrated and saying something he shouldn't. The same with Ronnie. If anything Ronnie's was worse because he won so he just had no real reason to say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

You're not serious!

I'm sure the same sessions in 2021 will be just as entertaining....hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

weemcd wrote: »
    Maybe I'll shut my damn mouth.

Selby getting stick for his post match comments. Does anyone have a clip of what he said?

It was the artist vs the shopkeeper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Slowby has some neck to complain about being disrespectful to an opponent.
    He’s been doing it for years taking a couple of minutes to get on with a shot when it’s obvious which shot is on.
    It’s great to see the tables being turned on him for a change and for Ronnie to do it to him makes it all the sweeter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

It's the contrasting styles and personalities that make great sporting rivalries and added to that special contest tonight. A bit of saltiness in the post match exchanges, but they're not insulting each others mothers so no major deal really. Always said it was a shame we didn't get more crucible rematches after 2014, the sport could have really done with a genuine edgy rivalry developing between then. Had to wait 6 years in the end but it was worth it.

Augme wrote: »
    I think it was poor form but given the nature of the match I can forgive him being extremely frustrated and saying something he shouldn't. The same with Ronnie. If anything Ronnie's was worse because he won so he just had no real reason to say it.

I agree with you I’ve said stupid things myself, but I do think if he has anything about him he’ll apologise privately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

If I was Selby id of went straight out of the building saying nothing.

Criticizing Ronnie after, be it rightly or wrongly, was always going to backfire on him.

Ronnie can get away with talking bollocks because he's revered by fans, they'll always kiss his arse no matter what.

Reminds me of robidoux complaining about him playing left handed years ago. It’s sour grapes of the highest order, he broke no rules

Not the same at all. As I stated above Ronnie clearly stopped trying at one point today. Against Robidoux he played left handed to alleviate boredom while still winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Not out of character for Ronnie has a history of making disrespectful comments about fellow pros plenty of times and also playing hit and hope snooker. Grand his natural talent got him through today, but let's not rewrite history.

I disagree, Ronnie has a track record of saying controversial things, but this is the first time I remember him being genuinely mean spirited about fellow professionals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

all in all, what a great day of snooker, from one of the best ever final frame thrillers in the earlier match to Ronnies amazing comeback against Selby

Really looking forward to the final over the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

And comments about disrespectful to the game. Himself and Shaun Murphy should get a room.
    Shaun Murphy, is that the Christian who ran off on the wife, group 1 muppet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Great match. One of the best ever. Selby shouldn't have made those comments but it's very easy for spectators to criticise. He's emotionally drained and I'm sure gutted over losing a 3 frame lead to lose the match. He will probably think differently tomorrow.

Ronnie is a fantastic player. It's just a pity that he's so disrespectful towards the other players and the game in general. A game that has given him so much. I'm not talking about anything that Selby is referring to tonight but in post match interviews he generally speaks about how sh1te he played rather than talk about how well the winning opponent played. I wish he was different but unfortunately he won't change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Selby looked absolutely exhausted sitting out most of the last three frames. Focused when on the table, but looked like a man after a bottle of Tequila (including the worm) when on the seat.

Feel for him, and for having to do the interviews straight after all of that. He should have been more gracious though. But he will learn.

I don’t envy Wilson now though. Ronnie on form is in a different league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What were Ronnie’s comments after the match? Any controversy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I think it is generally considered a little disrespectful to play those shots though?

I don't think Selby should have said anything and calmed down first. As he plays his own mind games and I think Ronnie was just playing his own by telling Selby that he won't be drawn in to long safety battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Ronnie can get away with talking bollocks because he's revered by fans, they'll always kiss his arse no matter what.

Very true.

I think he would have because it was obvious what Ronnie was at. Selby has had the balls to critise Ronnie in past after he has won not just lost.

Ronnie's MO is his ego wants to be centre of attention and as far as he is concerned (win/lose) if he has to disrespect pros or the game to do it, he does not care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

walshb wrote: »

Cue action

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Just repeated he needs a cue action. Nothing controversial for a change. :)

Amazing night of snooker though and delighted he won. roll on tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I'd agree with this even as a Ronnie supporter. The frame that put Selby 16-14 up, Ronnie was just blasting balls anywhere. He fluked a lot of shots safe too. That would be annoying for professionals to deal with. Selby won the frame though so it didn't make much difference in the end.

The last 3 frames was snooker perfection from Ronnie however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Selby on Eurosport saying Ronnie was being disrespectful to the game by his wild give-it-a-bash shot choices. I don't agree at all. There is no law that says you can't play any shot you want.

At that level, it's psychological, and I think it's completely fine for Ronnie to mess things up. Ronnie is just counteracting Selby's style of play, and I
    think it's fully within Selbys opponents rights to counteract his style of play. As if Selby has some right to dictate how the game should be played.

Not impressed by his comments at all.

Great match. One of the best ever. Selby shouldn't have made those comments but it's very easy for spectators to criticise. He's emotionally drained and I'm sure gutted over losing a 3 frame lead to lose the match. He will probably think differently tomorrow.

Ronnie is a fantastic player. It's just a pity that he's so disrespectful towards the other players and the game in general. A game that has given him so much. I'm not talking about anything that Selby is referring to tonight but in post match interviews he generally speaks about how sh1te he played rather than talk about how well the winning opponent played. I wish he was different but unfortunately he won't change.

100% he could be more diplomatic but that’s who he is, I hated seeing him smash the balls up but he’s a maverick and broke no rules, just like slowbys slow play

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Something about golf, cue action, out of the rough, left hip closer to the table.... just the normal stuff

• Advertisement
Advertisement