Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭waynescales1

That was heavy going for McManus, might not see him in the BBC studio for a day or two. He’ll need some time to recover.

That was heavy going for McManus, might not see him in the BBC studio for a day or two. He’ll need some time to recover.

:pac: :pac:

Poor Angles. Can have no complaints though. Yesterday must have been his A (nowadays) game. Great interview from Williams on Eurosport. Hope he beats ballrun. MJW in form great for the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,598 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

http://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/

This is the link to the world snooker website. How simple is it to to find the current tournament (whatever it is) and how the current tournament is going? (You need to search by month and click on the tournament FFS!)

I mean, try to search for all the normal questions like: the draw, who will play who, the results so far this tournament and who's on what side of the draw. It's a sh1t show of a website. Totally out of touch.

Imagine you were a naive person who might like to follow the world championship and might like to see an overview of the whole tournament...

The website is shyte. It's like it was designed by a bunch of old people who wanted to give initiated fans the basic detail and wanted to keep prospective fans away from the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Can't find any odds for a maximum in Paddys or Boyles. Used to be always a bet on that market.

5/4 in boyles, short, but at least you will have a few chances to collect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

http://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/

This is the link to the world snooker website. How simple is it to to find the current tournament (whatever it is) and how the current tournament is going? (You need to search by month and click on the tournament FFS!)

I mean, try to search for all the normal questions like: the draw, who will play who, the results so far this tournament and who's on what side of the draw. It's a sh1t show of a website. Totally out of touch.

Imagine you were a naive person who might like to follow the world championship and might like to see an overview of the whole tournament...

The website is shyte. It's like it was designed by a bunch of old people who wanted to give initiated fans the basic detail and wanted to keep prospective fans away from the sport.

If you click on the main menu link on top right, it gives you all the available options - live scores, matches, draw, sessions etc etc. Calendar is only useful for checking past tournaments and i prefer cuetracker for that purpose anyway.

I agree its not a good website. Checking scores is all i use it for and even then it's a mystery why when i want to access live scores including frame scores, you have to use another site! They did a major revamp only a couple of years back. Imagine how crap it was before that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Hats off to the poster here who proposed fake crowd noise as an idea because that's exactly what has happened. Adds some much needed life to the set up and brings some normality to a sterile atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

5/4 in boyles, short, but at least you will have a few chances to collect

A little over even money there not taking much risk with a 147 ! Wouldn’t touch it that price

spurshero wrote: »
    A little over even money there not taking much risk with a 147 ! Wouldn’t touch it that price

Exactly. 2/1 minimum and possibly if it was 3/1 i'd engage. Greedy gits.

A century in first frame in this Robbo match. Think all matches have at least one ton thus far.

Another excellent century from Robbo who goes into the interval at parity. I fancy him to win this match and possibly go on and win the tournament. Wenbo hanging in there to be fair to him in what promises to be a good second session later on tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Hats off to the poster here who proposed fake crowd noise as an idea because that's exactly what has happened. Adds some much needed life to the set up and brings some normality to a sterile atmosphere.

*shyly acknowledges fake forum applause*

It's still sounding more obviously fake to my ears than the 'crowd noise' at lockdown football matches, but I'll probably get used to it...

*shyly acknowledges fake forum applause*

It's still sounding more obviously fake to my ears than the 'crowd noise' at lockdown football matches, but I'll probably get used to it...

Ha, i thought it sounded more fake than the fake football noise myself. But hopefully it will get better ot more 'normal' as the days go by. Has to be better than total silence, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ha, i thought it sounded more fake than the fake football noise myself. But hopefully it will get better ot more 'normal' as the days go by. Has to be better than total silence, though.

Be good if they could introduce a bit of murmuring or the 'ooh' you get when the white ball is approaching a pocket but that's probably a bit beyond the snooker budget...

Be good if they could introduce a bit of murmuring or the 'ooh' you get when the white ball is approaching a pocket but that's probably a bit beyond the snooker budget...

How about cardboard cut outs of fans in the seats with the likes of that 'super fan' lad that's always got the ring side seats?

How about cardboard cut outs of fans in the seats with the likes of that 'super fan' lad that's always got the ring side seats?

As it appens, i know a geezer down sarf london way who's got a job lot of life size dolls he's looking to offload rather lively. Will get on the blower to Bazz right away.

I can visualise Bazza drivin the 3 wheeler to the back of the Crucible now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I think that crowd noise sounds like it was recorded in a toilet!

Bazz says cheers for the dolls, Delboy!

Bazz says cheers for the dolls!

An absolute gift. Nice bit of tarting up in the crucible costume department and bobs your uncle. Lubbly jubbly.

On a serious note though, the sounds do need some work. And for an authentic feel it requires coughing with a phone ringing at least once per frame and a liberal sprinkling of tittering at Dennis' latest gag.

• Advertisement

Criminal stuff from Wenbo to lose that 8th frame

Limited sympathy for him there. He was foostering about in the 3rd frame when Robertson needed snookers and could have lost it and he just lost his focus there too. Remember Swail in 2008 when he celebrated a frame that he went on to lose!

Decent comeback there in fairness. Lad does have some stones, will give him that. But for the concentration lapses...

Seem to have jettisoned the fake crowd noise. Wonder did the players object to it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Watching BBC now. Slessor v Yan. Anyone know who the commentators are?

One is Steve Davis.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Watching BBC now. Slessor v Yan. Anyone know who the commentators are?

One is Steve Davis.

Dave Farrar. Never heard of him before this but is a football reporter normally from whats been said.

• Advertisement

Ton scored in frame 1 by the Rocket. They're scoring centuries for fun. Nice start by Ron. Thep looks a bit nervy.

Couple of strange shots early on that frame from Ronnie. The "push" shot was plain bizarre, lucky to leave nothing.

Dennis Taylor opening his big trap saying Ronnie knows he's on all blacks so wlll be going for the maximum. And this after two reds and two blacks. As soon as he opens his silly mouth Ronnie heads up for the blue. Why cant the commentators wait a wee bit until the player has 8 or 9 blacks got. They'll be calling a maximum with the break off the way their going.

Thats typical Dennis. Amazing thing was Ford was actually 8 reds into his break the other day before Dennis actually mentioned it which by his standards was a stunning lapse.

Thepchaiya does need to settle. Ronnie just gonna try and blitz him, dont think he's that bothered about safety today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Steve Peters in Sheffield with him. Good sign. Look dialled in so far.

• Advertisement

A pleasure to watch Ronnie play like this.

Apart from the first frame, it’s like a practice session where Ronnie can’t miss at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭taytobreath

ronnie is back...he really means business today. maybe this no crowd thing is suiting him

Steve Davis already fearing a 10-0 whitewash here. These pundits love predicting these things like 147s and whitewashes from a long way out.

10-0 wouldn't surprise me at this rate. Ronnie be back in London by lunchtime tomorrow way its going! Put no pressure on him and this is what you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭taytobreath

we could have another ding moment when ronnie destroyed him and ding wanted to leave before the full match was over

I put the kybosh on the whitewash anyway. Good for him, hopefully get another to make it look semi respectable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Mathew Stevens had a confused head on him and then cracked up when he heard it first. Steve Davis was suggesting crisp packets and mobile phone effects by the end of the day. :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I put the kybosh on the whitewash anyway. Good for him, hopefully get another to make it look semi respectable.

I thought it was going to be Oh-No Uh-Nooh. It was almost assumed he was going to lose 10-0. Ronnie played well but Uh-Nooh needs someone like Reardon/Griffiths coaching him. Needs to learn safety and matchplay. Seems to have all the potting shots though.

Dennis Taylor opening his big trap saying Ronnie knows he's on all blacks so wlll be going for the maximum. And this after two reds and two blacks. As soon as he opens his silly mouth Ronnie heads up for the blue. Why cant the commentators wait a wee bit until the player has 8 or 9 blacks got. They'll be calling a maximum with the break off the way their going.

Well in fairness to them. Ronnie has said he the past he knows when the 'maxi' as he calls it is on after a few reds and blacks. But on the other hand he also said he is not botered about 147's any more. Prefers 146's! Would a 50k change his mind?

I think Robertson is likely to get one (if he goes far in tournament). Magic stuff he played this morning and was under a bit pressure.

• Advertisement

I thought it was going to be Oh-No Uh-Nooh. It was almost assumed he was going to lose 10-0. Ronnie played well but Uh-Nooh needs someone like Reardon/Griffiths coaching him. Needs to learn safety and matchplay. Seems to have all the potting shots though.

Agree on that and i think it could usefully apply to 20 or 30 other guys on tour. They can all pot pretty much and shoot the lights out in practice but when it comes to pressure and the fine art of safety play, they are too often found wanting. Potting is the first thing that goes when rhythm is lost.

Well in fairness to them. Ronnie has said he the past he knows when the 'maxi' as he calls it is on after a few reds and blacks. But on the other hand he also said he is not botered about 147's any more. Prefers 146's! Would a 50k change his mind?

I think Robertson is likely to get one (if he goes far in tournament). Magic stuff he played this morning and was under a bit pressure.

I know the balls can open up nicely early in a frame but there's no need for Dennis to always say 3 reds and 3 blacks or 4 reds 4 black every time it happens. Us snooker fans are not dumb we know the score. Todays was just silly he said it after 2 reds and straight away put the kybosh on it. In fact every time he says it it goes wrong nearly straight away. Its not a big deal but slightly irritates me. Let the break develop a bit before mentioning the immortal 147.

For example few of us on here posted about Ford's 147 attempt in the first frame of the first match when he had about 10 reds potted and it looked good. With 2 reds left i posted 'its going to happen'. Pretty much missed straight away but id say it was one of the easiest 147 ever at that stage with the way the balls were. It was a very poor miss.

But this 2 reds 2 blacks nonsense Dennis should relax for a bit.

I always felt he was good for a frame or two :)

Ken Doherty earning money left, right and centre. Still on the tour, lots of punditry, hosts a weekly sports show on Sunshine fm and has his own snooker club in the Raddison. No doubt has other nixers. Never stops does the energetic little laughing hyena.

Ken Doherty earning money left, right and centre. Still on the tour, lots of punditry, hosts a weekly sports show on Sunshine fm and has his own snooker club in the Raddison. No doubt has other nixers. Never stops does the energetic little laughing hyena.

Surprised Ken has not got into the elite snooker coaching as well. Would suit him down to the ground.

Wonderful break this, absolutely stunning. Wont see many better course of the tournament.

Dave is doing his level best to morph into Whispering Ted.

They didnt call him crafty for his snooker skills alone. Great business sense and to be fair to him he tries hard to encourage kids to join the set up in Terenure.

Surprised Ken has not got into the elite snooker coaching as well. Would suit him down to the ground.

I think he does do coaching at his place. Not sure what kind of business he'd get. Haven't been over to it yet to see what it's like.

Got to be Eurosport for me tonight. Yates and Foulds. What a duo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Wenbo declaring a foul that nobody else saw. Dunno what to make of that. Easier at 5-5 than in a decider perhaps.

Advertisement