Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Would Selby have said anything if he'd won? Doubt it.

I think he would have. Everyone was thinking it really no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

One thing about the final, Wilson will go for his shots, doubt will be intimidated and it should make for an open, entertaining match. Previous encounters between them, while none here, have generally been competitive with maybe one exception. I remember Kyren should have beaten him in the champion of champions final, not sure if it was bad luck or he bottled it. Think maybe the latter. But that was 2 years ago. I suspect ronnie will win because no way he cant push himself for a 6th with it so close at hand. But kyren will acquit himself well i think, 18-14 or 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

walshb wrote: »
    What were Ronnie’s comments after the match? Any controversy?

nothing much Ronnie was just ranting about his "Cue Action"

Selby was rabid about Ronnie not respecting his snookers and just blasting the balls around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Ronnie is taking the p***. He should show some modesty..
    the cue-action my.....backside
    Being a bad loser is one thing but a bad winner.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭forumdedum

mewso wrote: »
    I doubt if Selby was too concerned about Ronnie's conduct when it was gifting him frames.

Very well said.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Selby on Eurosport saying Ronnie was being disrespectful to the game by his wild give-it-a-bash shot choices. I don't agree at all. There is no law that says you can't play any shot you want.

There's no rule but there are things within in the rules that are disrespectful.

Ronnie is better than someone who needs to hit and hope so it looks like he is not fully applying himself so is generally considered disrespectful no?

If I did it with the lads I play with it would be called out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Overall, I think what Ronnie was trying to do is show that he wasn't going to get dragged into a tippedy tap match with Selby again and just go bald-headed for every shot. To call it disrespectful is just nonsense from Selby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I disagree, Ronnie has a track record of saying controversial things, but this is the first time I remember him being genuinely mean spirited about fellow professionals

Does it a lot, on eurosport for example slagged off one of those young Asian players (while back) who was 19 at time. And said he still plays like he did when he was 15. Plus no future in game etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Ronnie's MO is his ego wants to be centre of attention and as far as he is concerned (win/lose) if he has to disrespect pros or the game to do it, he does not care.

Think that can happen when you are top of the game.

Have to say, the obvious sportsmanship between Wilson and McGill vs the obvious disdain between O’Sullivan and Selby makes the former match more enjoyable for me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Selby only has himself to blame, threw away a few 2 and 3 frame leads and as somebody else said on here he ran out of steam.

What a day of snooker. Best ever ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,779 ✭✭✭✭walshb

ebbsy wrote: »
    Selby only has himself to blame, threw away a few 2 and 3 frame leads and as somebody else said on here he ran out of steam.

Great day..

My own personal favorite was Ken Doherty day in 2003 semi final last session..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

SnowyMay wrote: »

Have to say, the obvious sportsmanship between Wilson and McGill vs the obvious disdain between O’Sullivan and Selby makes the former match more enjoyable for me though.

Do they have a history of not liking each other?

its definitely up there with two of the greatest semi finals ever, a really great advert for how exciting snooker can be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Piss off Selby what a sore loser. Pathetic.
    Magic from Ronnie, loved every second of the last 3 frames.
    What a legend.

Selby looked absolutely exhausted sitting out most of the last three frames. Focused when on the table, but looked like a man after a bottle of Tequila (including the worm) when on the seat.

Feel for him, and for having to do the interviews straight after all of that. He should have been more gracious though. But he will learn.

I don’t envy Wilson now though. Ronnie on form is in a different league.

Yeah poor seems like a decent salt, could be like lamb to the slaughter.

All I can think of now with Kyren Wilson is Krying

Must be the k's and y's.

loved every second of the last 3 sets..

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

O'Sullivan was basically out-psyched whenever Selby played him a few years ago - the same crap as in this match, slow playing, and that awful awful frame where he played on with three snookers remaining.

Tonight's interview was embarrassing really, he should've just taken it on the chin. Compare with McGill who really got put through the wringer, but who came out of that match with a whole lot of credit (and probably undid all of the damage with his earlier behaviour with Clarke).

They've been ball bashing in snooker for decades. Quinten Hann used to do it off the break. Maguire has made a career of it. What was strange was why Ronnie seemed to feel the need to defend it via reference to the miss rule which he deems a pox on the game. Not really sure why he felt the need to defend it at all.

I love watching when the two of them meet, different styles and personalities. Bit of needle.

• Advertisement

They've been ball bashing in snooker for decades. Quinten Hann used to do it off the break. Maguire has made a career of it. What was strange was why Ronnie seemed to feel the need to defend it via reference to the miss rule which he deems a pox on the game. Not really sure why he felt the need to defend it at all.

Did Hann get fined for that afterwards? Be interesting to see what Hearn says now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭I see sheep

kingtiger wrote: »
    If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate

9 darter from Ronnie there like ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Theres not many other sports where you would watch 8 or so hours...and come away absolutely hugely entertained...

Incredible day of snooker...never to be seen again..

And what about Alan McManus predictions...nailed both of them perfectly!!!!Mystic McManus....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I think so. I won't come down from it until tommorow. Neither were 'great matches' until those final sessions. But those two sessions since 2.30 today impressed everyone, even seasoned pros. There was no need for any hype here.

I'vd been reading Dave Hendon and Clive Everton's 50 greatest matches book, and those two today would each be top ten, maybe top 5 for drama and heroics.

You'd be comparing tonight to Alex coming back from 14-15 down against Jimmy in 1982 for sheer guts and genius under pressure.

Its always frowned upon though? Not like it's been going on the last two weeks and Ron was randomly questioned about it this evening :) . It was an odd thing to be doing. And he felt he had to defend it for this very reason IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Ronnie has gotten this thread all fired up, I haven’t seen it this busy in years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Ronnie has gotten this thread all fired up, I haven’t seen it this busy in years

Hated, Adored, never ignored!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Do they have a history of not liking each other?

Nah - not so much (published anyway!). They seemed to respect each other as players (and let’s not forget that Selby beat O’Sullivan back in 2014 in the Masters final), but this turned out as a salty match - each to their own, but it leaves a bit of a bad taste for me.

Saying that - looking forward to the final a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Can anyone actually see Wilson losing to Ronnie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Can we not all agree that the two of them are complete bell-ends?

Andrew00 wrote: »

This in the wrong order?

• Advertisement

Can we not all agree that the two of them are complete bell-ends?

Ronnie is a career bellend, no doubt..

Still root for him when he plays..

Yes, destroyed, I can’t see Ronnie losing this now, not to a youngster .

This post might come back and bite me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    There's no rule but there are things within in the rules that are disrespectful.

Ronnie is better than someone who needs to hit and hope so it looks like he is not fully applying himself so is generally considered disrespectful no?

If I did it with the lads I play with it would be called out :D

My answer to that is in the post of mine you quoted and snipped.

I was talking about tactics. It is a tactic of Selby to play snooker like chess, but it's not chess.

Selby knows full well that bogging frames down against fluent high break builders like Ronnie is to his advantage, whether he wins the tactical battle or not. IMO Selbys success is in part due to this tactic of his - i.e. putting fluent break builders OFF THEIR STRIDE.

There are 2 approaches to Selbys game, you can either play Selby's game and play it better, or play your own game. Ronnie played his own game tonight, and that's why he won, because he is better than Selby.

Not the way Ronnie's mindset is, and the way Wilson's is. Wilson could do with a week off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I wasn't happy with Ronnie bashing the balls when he was in snookers and said it numerous times throughout the match. I called it Kamikaze snooker and it usually happens when Ronnie is rattled and i have seen Ronnie do it so many times in matches down through the years.

As s fan i hate to see Ronnie do that as it's like he's kind of giving the frame up as you rarely get a good result from bashing balls like that and Ronnie lost most of the frames he did this.

So what's Selby moaning about? He won most of the frames that Ronnie did this. He should have taken it that he was breaking Ronnie's spirit and seen it as a positive. His good safety play was making Ronnie resort to these wild shots and Selby was mopping up the balls thereafter.

It's none of Selby's business what shots his opponent plays anyway and it was poor form and really was sour grapes highlighting this perceived injustice. He actually won all these frames so what is he on about. Ronnie suffered from his Kamikaze snooker not the other way around.

Go away and lick your wounds Selby and learn how to be a gracious loser the next time for nobody respects a sore and petty loser.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Its always frowned upon though? Not like it's been going on the last two weeks and Ron was randomly questioned about it this evening :) . It was an odd thing to be doing. And he felt he had to defend it for this very reason IMO.

Absolutely, would be frowned upon, though in this instance i think its pretty clear there's no intent to disrupt his opponent or obvious gamesmanship going on. Its just a guy with some well known mental issues going off on one again. That doesnt mean he should be automatically given a free pass, though. His offered defence, such as it was, was a bit incoherent i thought, even going on about "poor mcgill" being caught in a snooker earlier, as if that was in any way relevant.

:pac:

Did you mean to write it like that Andrew? :pac:

Can't see him beating Ronnie, but at 3/10, neither can the layers...

Have to go -5.5 Frames to get evens or bigger on the rocket.

AllForIt wrote: »
    My answer to that is in the post of mine you quoted and snipped.

I was just disagreeing that because its not against the rules its not disrespectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭raclle

Don't get all the hate for Selby with his comments compared to what Ronnie has been spouting for years.

He went for it in those last 3 frames as he cant compete with Selby otherwise which has already been proven.

Ronnie is a genius at the game but an utter asshole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

So what's Selby moaning about? He won most of the frames that Ronnie did this. He should have taken it that he was breaking Ronnie and seen it as a positive. His good safety play was making Ronnie resort to these wild shots and Selby was mopping up the balls thereafter.

It's none of Selby's business what shots his opponent plays anyway and it was poor form and really was sour grapes highlighting this perceived injustice. He actually won all these frames so what is he on about. Ronnie suffered from his Kamikaze snooker not the other way around.

Go away and lick your wounds Selby and learn how to be a gracious loser the next time for nobody respects a sore and petty loser.

Agree Selby was just gutted and angry in the heat of the moment after defeat. He would have been delighted to see Ronnie lose the head at the time. And he's well able to mix it in the dark arts himself.

• Advertisement

I wasn't happy with Ronnie bashing the balls when he was in snookers and said it numerous times throughout the match. I called it Kamikaze snooker and it usually happens when Ronnie is rattled and i have seen Ronnie do it so many times in matches down through the years.

As s fan i hate to see Ronnie do that as it's like he's kind of giving the frame up as you rarely get a good result from bashing balls like that and Ronnie lost most of the frames he did this.

So what's Selby moaning about? He won most of the frames that Ronnie did this. He should have taken it that he was breaking Ronnie's spirit and seen it as a positive. His good safety play was making Ronnie resort to these wild shots and Selby was mopping up the balls thereafter.

Exactly,

it was perhaps a reverse psychology thing from selby saying that for future matches He hopes that Ronnie will do that again against him

Against Anthony McGill, Kurt Maflin played the most 'kamikaze' shots I've seen in this comp - doubt too many were slating him over it.

I think Ronnie psyched Selby out, never mind all the natural talent stuff. Never thought I would say that!

Was up there with Ali playing rope a dope in boxing taking punches. Looking like he gave in. Then bang, bang, bang game over. Mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Odds for the final

Ronnie 2/7
    Wilson 11/4

On the handicap betting it is 10/11 on Wilson to reach 14 frames in the match.

I'm still getting over tonights match so will have a good think about the final before it starts.

I think Selby took it as a sign of disrespect - world semi-final etc. You are correct though. Selby should have been thinking Ronnie is rattled. Instead he got rattled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

Selby is sick because he thought and we probably all thought that Ronnie was mentally gone at 16-14 and I think he thought he had this match more or less won. Ronnie sucker punched him with a few frames of magic like only he can and Selby was left shell shocked. He just didn't see it coming.

Wilson at 11/4 is a crazy price to be fair. If I was a gambler I’d throw a 50 on that especially as it’s a 2 horse race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

raclle wrote: »

He went for it in those last 3 frames as he cant compete with Selby otherwise which has already been proven.
    Well, he won 17 frames out of 33. Not just 3.
    Ronnie is a genius at the game but an utter asshole
    Yes no doubt.

I honestly thought we would see this again in the ROS v Selby SF

Looked close to it in my opinion. But he ended up just going for it and won can't believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

https://twitter.com/Eurosport_UK/status/1294383539379724289?s=19

Cue action, chipping it down the fairway etc etc

Advertisement