Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

henke wrote: »
    Selby is sick because he thought and we probably all thought that Ronnie was mentally gone at 16-14 and I think he thought he had this match more or less won. Ronnie sucker punched him with a few frames of magic like only he can and Selby was left shell shocked. He just didn't see it coming.

Without doubt, Selby thought it was job done, opponent subdued and beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think Ronnie psyched Selby out, never mind all the natural talent stuff. Never thought I would say that!

That's exactly what he did. But he psyched him out and played awesome stuff at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Selby cringe after. Delighted. Gowan Ronnie you mad bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Ronnie is some legend!

Without him snooker would be so boring!

Will never be another like him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

WST retweeted Ronnie's interview with Betfred which is a far more reasoned assessment from him. Less of the crazy golf analogies and fixation on cue action, even if it is still mentioned.

He's mad.

Must be hard for Anthony McGill to watch some of ROS's shots after emptying himself on every shot of his match and losing on a fluke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

tanko wrote: »
    Slowby has some neck to complain about being disrespectful to an opponent.
    He’s been doing it for years taking a couple of minutes to get on with a shot when it’s obvious which shot is on.
    It’s great to see the tables being turned on him for a change and for Ronnie to do it to him makes it all the sweeter.

Playing on for 20 mins needing 3 impossible snookers for 20 mins.

Taking 5 mins to put Ronnie back in after a miss called, when it was the only thing he was going to do.

Some neck from the sore loser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Eurosport_UK/status/1294383539379724289?s=19

Cue action, chipping it down the fairway etc etc

Absolute cringe, how people think he is a character is beyond me. Genius on the table though.

That 10/11 on Ron -4.5 frames is the only half-tempting bet out of the ones I seen quoted.

Can't say it's very appealing - better off letting it go.

Couldn't see any odds above -6.5 frames, maybe go -8.5 and Ronnie to win. Probably only get
    about 10/3 for that though.

No interest in backing Wilson on the handicap either.

If I was JP I'd be having 10 bags to pick up 13, or at best price available, 9 to collect 12.

Go hard, or go home punting territory methinks.

Might as well go home so :(

I don't have Kyren Wilson's mental fortitude; or Ronnie's success rate being cavalier - Anthony McGill seen to that.. twice :pac:

Happy4all wrote: »
    Playing on for 20 mins needing 3 impossible snookers for 20 mins.

Taking 5 mins to put Ronnie back in after a miss called, when it was the only thing he was going to do.

Some neck from the sore loser

Is that with the pink and the black? I thought he'd take the free ball and knock the black on to the cushion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I really don’t get Selby’s disrespectful comment go back to that frame when all he needed was the pink and

Ronnie smashed it and Selby potted it and won the frame you can be sure he wasn’t saying that’s a disrespectful shot Ronnie when it goes his way.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement

Is that with the pink and the black? I thought he'd take the free ball and knock the black on to the cushion.

That's exactly what Selby would say he was thinking :mad:

If it was a straightforward one, he'd surely have taken that option, instead of his extended deliberating time... Bad form imo... Should be counted in the same context as Ronnie's 100 mile an hour shots; in taking all that time when awarded a miss. He's gotten an advantage from that miss rule - should take 10 or so seconds to make his mind up. That thinking time is like an advantage upon an advantage.

Not fair on one's opponent making them wait to see if the other player will 'invite' them to take the shot again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Without him snooker would be so boring!

Did you see the other semi final?

You know what, now that I think of it, what the hell was Vicky doing there at the back of the auditorium. I'm sure Ronnie could see her. As if Vicky comes into view when Selby is about to win. Didn't work. She should have got her tits out to distract Ronnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I'm amazed Ronnie won. So many reckless shots, almost not caring about some frames. Perhaps it was all worth it for the mind games. I wouldn't know enough about the sport to judge.

I watched the first session, stopped watching and ended up watching the final frame. Both players threw away opportunities to clear up.

Ronnie is hilarious. Obviously he's not all there. Certainly entertaining.

Selby lost all my respect in that interview. I didn't see Selby playing well in the parts I saw.

That Vicky one - not exactly a 'stunner', although Dennis must think so.

She's pretty alright. "Pretty" haggard looking :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Just checking the head to head record between the two. They have played six times with Ronnie winning four to Wilsons two.

They have played in two finals with Ronnie winning both: a 10-9 win the Champion of Champions i think, and a 9-2 win the English Open final.

But Wilson has won their most recent match 6-5 at the Welsh Open.

Cannot wait for this now. Would love Ronnie to finally land that sixth World Championship. But it certainly won't be easy and i give Wilson a fair chance of going very close here. Lets be honest, Ronnie is nowhere near where he was at his peak and Wilson is a young, hungry whippersnapper with a good head on his shoulders who i don't think will be spooked by Ronnie. Make no mistake lads this is going to be a hard slog with plenty of twists and turns.

The Torturer is gone, and that alone is worth celebrating long into the night, but there remains one last obstacle to overcome before the Rocket can equal Steve 'The Nugget' Davis on six World titles and give his adoring fans one last golden Sheffield victory for the memory banks.

Some good songs on BBC4 if anyone didn't bother changing channels after snooker.

Just checking the head to head record between the two. They have played six times with Ronnie winning four to Wilsons two.

They have played in two finals with Ronnie winning both: a 10-9 win the Champion of Champions i think, and a 9-2 win the English Open final.

Cannot wait for this now. Would love Ronnie to finally land that 6th World Championship. But it certainly won't be easy and i give Wilson a fair chance of going very close here. Lets be honest, Ronnie is nowhere near where he was at his peak and Wilson is a young, hungry whippersnapper with a good head on his shoulders who i don't think will be spooked by Ronnie. Make no mistake lads this is going to be a hard slog with plenty of twists and turns.

The Torturer is gone, and that alone is worth celebrating long into the night, but there remains one last obstacle to overcome before the Rocket can equal Steve 'The Nugget' Davis on six World titles and give his adoring fans one last golden Sheffield story for the memory banks.

Don't buy this torturer line.

The other semi final was just as gripping throughout and had two players considering every shot and taking whatever time they felt necessary.

If O'Sullivan's, at times, cavalier approach can be tolerated then so should the alternative.

Most players cannot afford to play the types of shots that O'Sullivan played. And most who do go nowhere.

That Vicky one - not exactly a 'stunner', although Dennis must think so.

She's pretty alright. "Pretty" haggard looking :p

I think she'll be sleeping in the spare bedroom tonight.

Don't buy this torturer line.

The other semi final was just as gripping throughout and had two players considering every shot and taking whatever time they felt necessary.

If O'Sullivan's, at times, cavalier approach can be tolerated then so should the alternative.

Most players cannot afford to play the types of shots that O'Sullivan played. And most who do go nowhere.

Ronnie calls Selby 'The Torturer' and has put it in his book so who are we to argue with the game's greatest ever player? And it's not an insult either. Selby is probably the hardest match player i've ever seen. The man is a genius at what he does and he tortures the soul out of his opponents. It's a gift not a hindrance.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    I think she'll be sleeping in the spare bedroom tonight.

:pac:

Should have been at home with the kid/s. Joking, yet not joking. If it was the actual final, definitely have her there, but on her own at the back - bit strange I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Theres not many other sports where you would watch 8 or so hours...and come away absolutely hugely entertained...

Incredible day of snooker...never to be seen again..

And what about Alan McManus predictions...nailed both of them perfectly!!!!Mystic McManus....
    He's a shrewd observer, got them right, and said the final frame of the first semi final would be won on the pink, that is crazy

Viki knows how upset poor Mark is tonight. She should let him have a good nights sleep and maybe bring him breakfast in bed tomorrow morning to boost his spirits; a nice bowl of sour grapes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Cannot wait for this now. Would love Ronnie to finally land that sixth World Championship. But it certainly won't be easy and i give Wilson a fair chance of going very close here. Lets be honest, Ronnie is nowhere near where he was at his peak and Wilson is a young, hungry whippersnapper with a good head on his shoulders who i don't think will be spooked by Ronnie. Make no mistake lads this is going to be a hard slog with plenty of twists and turns.

The Torturer is gone, and that alone is worth celebrating long into the night, but there remains one last obstacle to overcome before the Rocket can equal Steve 'The Nugget' Davis on six World titles and give his adoring fans one last golden Sheffield story for the memory banks.

hahaha love it. it also gives him impetus to go on a beat hendry

Still buzzing after that match, I don't know that I'm more happy out: that Selby lost or Ronnie won.

Probably happy that Ronnie beat specifically Selby.

Selby is a great player but I just don't like his style of play at all

Ronnie calls Selby 'The Torturer' and has put it in his book so who are we to argue with the game's greatest ever player? And it's not an insult either. Selby is probably the hardest match player i've ever seen. The man is a genius at what he does and he tortures the soul out of his opponents. It's a gift not a hindrance.

absolutely and he was truely at his best at that tonight, even he said it, that snooker from a snooker was sublime

Still buzzing after that match, I don't know that I'm more happy out: that Selby lost or Ronnie won.

me too haha. and a bit pissed lol.

ronnie been in a final i can guarentee a few more hundred thousand will tune in tomorrow and sunday

it is weird that only selby's wife is always in the focus of an important match, i always wonder is it a camera man versus taylor thing, as far as im aware its the same crew for all the tournaments, right down to the security.

I'm buzzing too. One of the sweetest wins ever. I think it shows how much most knowledgeable posters on here respect Selby's unique greatness that we're so over the moon to see Ronnie get one over on him at the Mecca of snooker. It's bloody fantastic.

• Advertisement

I think, for all that I don't rate his snooker playing ability very high, that today/tomorrow, and Sunday if they want to provide some 'filler', the bbc could well do with showing some Anthony McGill again. He deserves it. Instead, we'll probably get to see the bloody 'wizard' again :mad:

They're really going overboard with that shight. Snooker don't need John Higgins, and no loss when he retires - I mean Selby is apparently 'Granite' nowadays.

But, there is that 147 - apart from that, no bloody John Higgins please.

I get that. I mean more that I don't think a slower, more methodical style should be criticised and cannot lead to entertaining snooker.

Those were 2 of the best semi finals ever and contained 3 such methodical players.

I would say that if they contained 4 players playing shots like ronnie played everyone would have tuned out a lot quicker.

(Specifically referring to o Sullivan's hit and hopes when tied up and not some of his other spectacular pots and safetys!)

I get that. I mean more that I don't think a slower, more methodical style should be criticised and cannot lead to entertaining snooker.

Those were 2 of the best semi finals ever and contained 3 such methodical players.

I would say that if they contained 4 players playing shots like ronnie played everyone would have tuned out a lot quicker.

I've nothing but the height of respect for Selby's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Jesus Ronnie really gets the drooling masses out to play.

Selby is 100% right. Ronnie was hurling around balls like a spoilt child out there. The shot on the pink was a disgrace. When you see Wilson and McGill out there trying for their lives and he is belting balls without even thinking about the shot. Very disrespectful.

His supreme talent managed to pull it out of the fire on this occasion. Tonight proved yet again why he will never pass out Hendry as the greatest ever.

He is box office to watch but so petulant at times it’s sickening.
    Still hope he wins on Sunday though.

Still buzzing from the excitement of Ronnie finally beating Selby in the Worlds. First time he did it I think.

I have noting against Selby, I think he's quite a nice guy actually, but his style of snooker just doesn't excite me, never did. Add into that his very odd cue action. I just find him very hard to watch. Noting natural about his style at all.

mdwexford wrote: »

Selby is 100% right. Ronnie was hurling around balls like a spoilt child out there. The shot on the pink was a disgrace. When you see Wilson and McGill out there trying for their lives and he is belting balls without even thinking about the shot. Very disrespectful.

His supreme talent managed to pull it out of the fire on this occasion. Tonight proved yet again why he will never pass out Hendry as the greatest ever.

This is it. 3 players putting everything into every shot to win their matches.

Ronnie is the only one who feels privileged enough to take the shots he took in a world semi final.

I also still hope he wins the final in a way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Wilson and McGill what a final frame...insane
    McGill I feel sorry for but there has to be a loser

I would love if Wilson won, O'Sullivan is the greatest ever but that doest not excuse his misbehaviour

I think, on reflection, that Ronnie's hit and hope shots, in the main, were the right option. Selby was well ahead at times, in some of them frames, and trying to lay up to one of the few available reds probably wasn't much of an option, as Ronnie probably would have, at best, gotten safe, only to be playing a similar shot again from baulk.

Seems to be a few Eddie Charlton types on here. Perhaps they're harking back to the 'halcyon days' of the seventies (before my time) , when it was a foul if any ball left the bed of the table during a shot; at least I'm pretty sure it was.

Having said that, maybe one or two out of Ron's 'cavalier' shots was nowhere near the 'percentage' shot - but not them all.

Like another poster said, it's like the yin to Selby's yang (paraphrasing there), and the game can be played however one wants it to. How Selby's slow and safety play can be well received, but Ronnie doing the opposite is seen as being disrespectful is beyond me.

GWAN RONNIE :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

A fair enough point. People understandbly will accuse selby of sour grapes but perhaps there is something in what he says. After all, there were plenty here and I'm sure elsewhere saying a lot worse than Selby about ronnie when he was bashing the pink up and down the table. An hour later, all forgotten and forgiven. So it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

I wince every time I see a "Eurgh, Ronnie dragging the casuals in" comment from people.

I love Ronnie O'Sullivan. I do. And I can also totally appreciate how if you're mad into snooker and don't like him, having such a singular personality dominating your interest must grate. Anyone who doesn't think he's living the gimmick at this point is ****ing lost, though. Selby calling him out in that post match for showing disrespect by lashing into the pack - thereby interrupting Selbyball at all costs - was similarly lost.

That being said I wouldn't mind at all if he gets thumped in the final, just to draw narrative from that interview he gave a few nights back.

Jesus Ronnie really gets the drooling masses out to play..

Yeah well that's because he deserves drooling. What he did tonight was a performance I'll never forget.

No Selby was 100% wrong. Selby is pissed that his style of play can be beaten.
    It's not Chess, it's snooker.

Sorry if I'm taking you out of context but that makes no sense whatsoever.

Well if he's box office to watch then I don't get what your problem is.

• Advertisement

I feel the miss rule is fair enough. Remember these are professional players with years experience. They are trying to hit a ball and make it safe at the same time. If it was just a case of hitting a ball these guys would do it within 3 attempts, barring the most extreme snookers.

If Ronnie, as a tactic to counteract Selby's game, plays shots to undo Selby's game, then I think that's totally fair.

Why should Ronnie play Selby's game.

Selby, could play Ronnies game as a reaction, but he can't, because he can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

It always annoyed the hell out of me when my mate gave out to me for the shot I chose to play, like lashing the cue ball when trying to get out of a snooker cos I couldn't get it safe otherwise, or opening the up reds, or not spending 5 mins trying to escape from misses.

Who does Selby think he is telling someone else how to play his game. It smacks of arrogance or purism.

Damn straight those who made the chess/poker analogies. Getting pissed because the opponent 'made the wrong move' - but still prevailed - is stupid by Selby. Selby's not exactly on solid ground when it comes to the gentlemanly conduct style of play - he's a long time inside that Glass House himself.

I feel the miss rule is fair enough. Remember these are professional players with years experience. They are trying to hit a ball and make it safe at the same time. If it was just a case of hitting a ball these guys would do it within 3 attempts, barring the most extreme snookers.

I don't have a problem particularly with the miss rule.

But I'm beginning to question the 'free ball' rule. If a player fouls, I don't fully understand why the opponent deserve a free ball, in the case that they can hit multiple reds, just none on either side of the same red ball. It just seems a bit too generous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah well that's because he deserves drooling. What he did tonight was a performance I'll never forget.

Was good and bad to it. You seem to view O'Sullivan more as a brand. Truth is overall standard of Wilson McGill SF was better.

No Selby was 100% wrong. Selby is pissed that his style of play can be beaten.
    It's not Chess, it's snooker.

Just not true on many levels when Selby is beaten well and in a sportsman like manner he says well done etc. Also Barry Hearn called Snooker "chess with balls." decades ago.

Sorry if I'm taking you out of context but that makes no sense whatsoever.

Assume poster means respect from pros and role model/gentleman of the game/

Well if he's box office to watch then I don't get what your problem is.

Relates to above point.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I don't have a problem particularly with the miss rule.

But I'm beginning to question the 'free ball' rule. If a player fouls, I don't fully understand why they deserve a free ball, in the case that they can hit multiple reds, just none on either side of the same ball. It just seems a bit too generous.

That freeball when Ronnie missed the canon on the pack and went in off was a harsh punishment. I get what your saying and agree when Selby could hit loads of reds that the penalty was too severe. When Selby cleared up from it i feared the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

human 19 wrote: »
    It always annoyed the hell out of me when my mate gave out to me for the shot I chose to play, like lashing the cue ball when trying to get out of a snooker cos I couldn't get it safe otherwise, or opening the up reds, or not spending 5 mins trying to escape from misses.

Who does Selby think he is telling someone else how to play his game. It smacks of arrogance or purism.

Not if the opponent does it on numerous occassions and is a professional snooker player - best who has ever picked up a cue.

1) Gives an air of fcuk you
    2) I don't care and won't try

It is all ability based of course.

But there is certain etiquette in snooker, right down to dress code. Might as well play in jeans and t shirt if we follow your logic.

Also not the first time for O'Sullivan:
    Failed drug tests, slagging off fellow pros, conceding mid match, towel on head, refusal to attend press conferences (at a time a seriously ill Paul Hunter attended his Press obligations) etc etc

Using chalk as a marker (which should have been a foul)

But of course many excuse it as 'Ronnie being Ronnie'

In my opinion although he is a great player he should be held to the same levels of Professionalism others are held to. Hearn too soft on him imo.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

That freeball when Ronnie missed the canon on the pack and went in off was a harsh punishment. I get what your saying and agree when Selby could hit loads of reds that the penalty was too severe. When Selby cleared up from it i feared the worst.

Exactly. The free ball rule was overly generous in that situation.

Bloody 'purists' - a lot of people (in general, not just on here) seem to think that a player shouldn't go for a 2-6/10 shot unless safety was 70% + guaranteed if the player wasn't successful, and would perhaps like to see them sanctioned for doing so.

I think the environment gets to them :) Nice shiny shoes; pants, shirt and waistcoat all nicely ironed; and a sedate crowd - when there are crowds - maybe makes them think that a few Hail Mary shots are anathema to snooker.

I have to disagree. If it wasn't for one player - Alex Higgins - who played with abandon, not at all unlikely that the game would not even be on TV anymore.

Perhaps they'd rather watch billiards :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement