Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

SnowyMay wrote: »
    Maybe they get rid of them when Ronnie is playing so. :pac:

Reckon it would just be a scribble for a few of those frames! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

AllForIt wrote: »
    6 minutes! :eek:

On the one hand I ask myself if this is just Selby's style but on the other hand, he has benefited by slowing his opponents down. Ronnie being one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

spurshero wrote: »
    I think though towards the end of the match Ronnie has decided he was playing the snooker he wanted and if he lost so be it . But he wasn’t going to lose playing 2 hour safety slogs that selby wanted to play. Like selby wants to keep it tight and fancies himself in long drawn out frames . He will refuse pots that 95 percent of players will go for till he gets a gilt edged chance . On the other hand o Sullivan wants open one chance frames . I’m not a big Ronnie fan as I hate his snooker owes me personality but I’m certainly glad to see no more selby .

I like watching Selby when he is playing a fella with polar opposite style to him. When he plays a fella similar to him that is when it can really become a chore. It is like both players digging trenches, or a long siege.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Imagine being the guy who leaves another player sat in his seat for over 6 minutes while and accusing others of disrespect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

The hawk eye was a great addition too for the viewer. There was a few shots this year where the commentator mentions he's not sure he can get to the potting angle, can he see the red etc. They aren't sure. Hawk eye used to give us a good indication straight away. Hopefully we see the technology back soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

I think Wilson +4.5 is a great bet. He's been generally excellent this tournament and the only time he has struggle is against McGill when the finishing line was in sight. I'd expect the same to happen against ronnie hence the reason I'd be reluctant to back him outright but on the handicap it seems good. I can't seem him getting blown away.

Ficheall wrote: »

In fairness those are rare, Selby's average shot time has him no81 on tour.

http://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/TourPlayers/Index/14139

Selby. 24.32 seconds AST
    Interestingly Wilson 24.26 AST.
    McGill 24.65 AST.
    Higgins 23.06 AST, But Higgins never gets mentioned for being a slow player. 'More methodical' is the phrase used.

O'Sullivan 16.89 AST

Fergal O'Brien has to get a mention:
    27.04 AST

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That incident was entirely unacceptable and dereliction of duty on part of the referee not intervening. Selby explained afterwards that he had a total brain fade and I'd probably accept that, i dont see any intentional gamesmanship in it and it wouldn't make sense anyway. But it wasnt on for it to happen like that and they need to address it properly some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

One of them put up a line yesterday when someone was going into the pack. I miss the lines for snookers. I wonder what the thinking was in getting rid of them?

I think I remember them saying that the lines they drew on the screen could be seen on the monitors in the arena so they had to stop doing it as if the player was stuck and he looked up at the monitors, it gave him a suggested shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

The Nal wrote: »
    Imagine being the guy who leaves another player sat in his seat for over 6 minutes while and accusing others of disrespect.

That six minute thing was an absolute disgrace by Selby, he has some nerve of criticizing "mind games" with the way he plays the game. Very evident even last night what he was doing....sucked all the flow out of the game at every turn. He's an incredible player when he wants to be, but his approach to frame pacing leaves a sour taste in my mouth & it's hard to support his as a result.

I still think Ronnie's approach to the match last night left a LOT to be desired too. In comparison to Selby, Ronnie was an absolute joy to watch. The shot selection though, jesus christ. Talk about gift wrapping the match, he was only short of sealing it with a kiss. He could very easily have lost the match as a result, and would likely have given Smug Selby a world title as a result. The only proper way to beat Selby, is to BE Selby...heavy scoring, no risks, granite safety....anything else more often than not comes up short. Sure, not a fun way to play...but you're either there to play the game or you're not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

What's peoples predictions for the final? See if anyone can get the correct score. I'm going 18-15 Ronnie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

What's peoples predictions for the final? See if anyone can get the correct score. I'm going 18-15 Ronnie.
    18-12 Ronnie. Kyren has a tendency to throw in a stinker of a session and this I feel could be his undoing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Remember a good few years back I stuck a tenner on a bet for correct score in a final, only got 16/1, was pissed when I put it on and never checked the odds :pac:

18-14 Ronnie

Player to get the highest break in the final

Ronnie 4/9
    Wilson 13/8

Ronnie to win 18-13

Centuries in match

Over 6.5 centuries 11/10
    Under 6.5 centuries 4/6

A break over 50 in first frame

Yes 3/10
    No 12/5

A Maximum in match
    Yes 13/2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

A Maximum in match
    Yes 13/2

You’ll be doing well to find a worse value bet than this. Ha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Ronnie 18-17 on the final black

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    You’ll be doing well to find a worse value bet than this. Ha

Awful odds. If you gave me 20/1 maybe.

Odds on a few posters still whinging about Ronnie being disrespectful to Mark Selby by the end of the day

Yes 1/100
    No 100/1

Ronnie comfortably 18-10 - anti-climatic final.

Odds on a few posters still whinging about Ronnie being disrespectful to Mark Selby by the end of the day

Yes 1/100
    No 100/1

Where do I put the money on yes? ;)

I’d expect Wilson to win the first session by a few frames, Ronnie is 44 and must be tired mentally and physically compared to a man in his prime, but after that I expect Ronnie to come alive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

As much as I like Wilson and he seems like a good lad...

COME ONN RONNIE!

• Advertisement

Hope Wilson does not get walloped and does himself justice. Could see Wilson getting overwhelmed by the whole occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Hope Wilson does not get walloped and does himself justice. Could see Wilson getting overwhelmed by the whole occasion.
    Doubt he'll get walloped. He's already played Ronnie in a big final and acquitted himself very well. He was actually very unlucky not to win the Champions of Champions final against Ronnie in 2018.

Check out below video from about 5:24 until the end. Kyren leaves the red hanging over pocket when he was just a couple of balls from victory. Ronnie gets in and fails to get last red of the cushion. Throws in his standard kamikaze shot with a ridiculous back double attempt and is absolutely blessed to snooker Wilson behind the pink. Ronnie gets back in and goes on to level at 9-9.

In the decider Kyren gets in first again and is so unlucky to see a red go in after potting the black and going into the pack. He didn't do a whole lot wrong in that final. Came back brilliantly from 5-2 down and 8-4 I think. Nothing wrong with his temperament anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiByRGAHWGU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The last final they played, champion of champions, Kyren should have beaten him. Bottled it a little but also had a bad break at a key moment when the jamstick was in sight. This is another big step up again, of course, but i dont think he'll feel that overawed. Needs to settle early and he'll be ok, can see ronnie trying to charge out of the blocks, bolt like, to try and intimidate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ficheall wrote: »

Jesus! The ref should have definitely stepped in there

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

So not much hope so far on here for Wilson's chances. The 15 frames i gave him is the highest of any poster so far. Is there an air of complacency about this final when Wilson has won their most recent match and only lost 10-9 in a Champion of Champions final?

• Advertisement

Ken saying he thought Ronnie was 'gone' and given up at one stage. You're not the only one Ken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I don’t give Wilson any chance. I think he's just happy to be there. The crowd will be on Ronnie's side and I think everything will get to him.

I really don't want O'Sullivan to win. Apart from the last 3 frames last night, he's been awful, and he had some luck there too. The standard of snooker is terrible, it's no wonder Ronnie and some of the older players keep playing on. It's disgusting how the BBC make it all about Ronnie. He'll likely get a 6th title playing average snooker.

Ronnie should have lost yesterday morning's session 6-2, but got out even. I was being generous, I think it was McManus who said had he lost 8-0, he would have no right to complain. I think his antics last night towards the end got to Selby, he didn't know what to do, twist or stick and let Ronnie go bust.

Here we go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Great to have a crowd in.

Ken saying he thought Ronnie was 'gone' and given up at one stage. You're not the only one Ken.

I was genuinely worried about him, I’m roughly his age so have followed his full career and have never seen him go that far, but then he was sublime straight after, typical Ronnie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ugh. Taylor Johnson dilemma.

The dreaded choice of Dennis Taylor v Joe Johnson strikes again. I'll stick with Steve Davis and Dennis on BBC.

Their family would have been allowed attend the final, even if the crowd wasn't, Dennis.

First bad miss from Wilson. The first of many I'm afraid.

The beautiful sound of 'real' applause is music to my ears.

• Advertisement

sligeach wrote: »
    Their family would have been allowed attend the final, even if the crowd wasn't, Dennis.

It was only one person allowed in was it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

henke wrote: »
    Yeah disappointing. It seems at times BBC aren't half as arsed with their coverage any more. Why would they get rid of this tech seems like cost cutting.

Good point about hawkeye. It wasn't even that recent an innovation, I remember seeing it back in the late 00s.

There have been big cut backs across the bbc. The dedicated BBC snooker twitter account wasn't manned this year either. The one they advertised above the player's seats. Just the general BBC sport one updates on events. Little signs of cutbacks so Eurosport may become more important and influencial.

Not a good start from Wilson. Bad attempted pot, poor safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

If Wilson win will it be slightly devalued seeing as he had a bye in the first round?

That's some statement from Hendry saying that if Wilson is not leading by four frames at the end of today he has no chance.

If Wilson win will it be slightly devalued seeing as he had a bye in the first round?

Whoever wins, it's devalued in my opinion.

Thought about that. But few will remember it after that SF v McGill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Wilson needs to get a foothold early or Ronnie could be riding off into the sunset and gone.

I could be turning this off early. Awful attempted pot by Wilson. Luck of Ronnie's side already with having that pink.

• Advertisement

That's some statement from Hendry saying that if Wilson is not leading by four frames at the end of today he has no chance.

I would agree with him. Needs that buffer. Ronnie rarely goes on runs more than four frames in a row.

Advertisement