Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

So for Hendry's pre match comment to be true and Wilson needing a four frame lead overnight to have a chance of winning, Wilson will need to win tonights session 8-0. Silly comment from Hendry imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Wilson is still recovering from the semi final and hasn't gotten into the final yet, same for Ronnie but he's been here so often it's not such a big thing for him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

1 century in 8 frames says it all really, neither player flying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I reckon Wilson needs to win 5 of the 8 frames tonight to have any chance of winning this

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TheHopeful

Disappointing. Was hoping it would be close at least!

I've money on Wilson to win outright at 18/1. Was slightly tempted to cash out but said I'd let it ride. Regretting it now. You'd expect Ronnie to pull away now and win at a canter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Don’t think the table is great, looked to be about an inch of a roll to the left for one of Wilson’s slow medium pots, angle showed it perfectly from behind, the last 8 inches of roll the ball went from dead center of the pocket to being dragged well towards the cushion, not nearly dropping. Wouldn’t expect that at this level, you’d be giving out at that down your club ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Enjoyed the last frame (8th). Ronnie played some good safety. Wilson looks nervy and shattered after losing it. Anyone else notice Ronnie not hitting shots in heart of pocket? Trying to Williams them in. All Ronnie has to do is channel his inner Selby now and again - patience. 18-10 Ronnie looks likely.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I reckon Wilson needs to win 5 of the 8 frames tonight to have any chance of winning this

Can't see it. Wilson tired and emotional. Had to laugh when Hendry said emotion did not affect him. Flipping snooker android Hendry was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yep.

Another 6 - 2 and that is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'm with Hendry on this. I think the match is already over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Rothko wrote: »
    I'm with Hendry on this. I think the match is already over.

It'll be over tomorrow afternoon.it won't make the evening session id say

Strumms wrote: »
    Don’t think the table is great, looked to be about an inch of a roll to the left for one of Wilson’s slow medium pots, angle showed it perfectly from behind, the last 8 inches of roll the ball went from dead center of the pocket to being dragged well towards the cushion, not nearly dropping. Wouldn’t expect that at this level, you’d be giving out at that down your club ffs.

Wilson could have put a trace of unwanted side on the cueball to miss that. No excuses though Wilson has missed loads of balls. Ronnie too.

I'd say Ronnie can't believe his luck in being 6-2 after playing like that. No way the likes of Judd or Robertson would let him way with that poor standard of play. And Wilson can only blame himself as he had loads of chances but played about as bad as he can.

Hopefully Ronnie can win tonights session or at least take a 10-6 lead overnight. Would be hard to see him slipping up from that. But this is a vulnerable O Sullivan who is really playing on instinct and no real confidence in his game but still should be too good to lift the magic sixth title tomorrow night.

I'd say Ronnie can't believe his luck in being 6-2 after playing like that. No way the likes of Judd or Robertson would let him way with that poor standard of play. And Wilson can only blame himself as he had loads of chances but played about as bad as he can.

Hopefully Ronnie can win tonights session or at least take a 10-6 lead overnight. Would be hard to see him slipping up from that. But this is a vulnerable O Sullivan who is really playing on instinct and no real confidence in his game but still should be too good to lift the magic sixth title tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Lot of frames to go..

Ronnie is a real mixed bag. Some sublime potting and play, and some poor play...

Wilson needs to make Ronnie pay when Ronnie makes mistakes..

5/3 to Wilson tonight and it’s all to play for..

They play 8 or 9 tonight? I thought they changed a few years ago to 17 frames play on day 1..

Current odds

Ronnie 1/10
    Wilson 6/1

walshb wrote: »
    Lot of frames to go..

Ronnie is a real mixed bag. Some sublime pitting and play, and some poor play...

Wilson needs to make Ronnie pay when Ronnie makes mistakes..

5/3 to Wilson tonight and it’s all to play for..

They play 8 or 9 tonight? I thought they changed a few years ago to 17 frames play on day 1..

Yes you're correct. Nine frames tonight.

Current odds

Ronnie 1/10
    Wilson 6/1

Tempted to throw a ton on Wilson, just to make this interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What time is the restart?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

What time is the restart?

Just listened to The Break podcast from last night with Neal Foulds, Phil Stud and Rachel Casey. If any you guys want to hear their take on last nights game give it a listen to. Foulds is one of the best pundits and i respect his opinion and he feels Selby was totally wrong in what he said and Phil Studd agrees with him. Not a bad podcast this for any snooker fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Tempted to throw a ton on Wilson, just to make this interesting!

Spot the gambler that loses..but that's okay too 🙂

If you think you can put a ton on Wilson work away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Just listened to The Break podcast from last night with Neal Foulds, Phil Stud and Rachel Casey. If any you guys want to hear their take on last nights game give it a listen to. Foulds is one of the best pundits and i respect his opinion and he feels Selby was totally wrong in what he said and Phil Studd agrees with him. Not a bad podcast this for any snooker fans.

The only redeeming thing Selby could do now, is apologize and say that what he said was just in the heat of the moment.

He lost a lot of respect with his sore loser post match comments.

petes wrote: »
    Spot the gambler that loses..but that's okay too 🙂

If you think you can put a ton on Wilson work away.

I might reinvest my winnings from Bayern Munich -5.5 goals last night😀

I don't know what's worse:

The quality of this afternoon's fare
    or:
    Not going hard (didn't go at all :(:D) on Ronnie -4.5 @ just south of evens.

I mean, the snooker can't get much worse... If both the players' "heads are gone" Ronnie still more than good enough to thrash Wilson, even with a poor B-Game.

• Advertisement

It was woeful. Only problem with bet is you never know if Ronnie will be tuned in for every frame, especially with a comfortable lead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Two tired players this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Hoping Wilson has the session of his life. He can't be any worse than earlier surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Not looking good for wislon.
    How many World Championships would Ronnie have won, if he didnt act the maggot..

Parrot and Hendry or Foulds and Studd? Eurosport wins this one although Hendry is always worth listening to.

• Advertisement

Ronnie wana quit all these contrived idiosyncrasies...poseur!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

petronius wrote: »
    How many World Championships would Ronnie have won, if he didnt act the maggot..

How many would he have if he had to play decent opposition? He probably can't believe his luck. This, THIS is the standard of opponent he has to beat?

'Surprise miss from Ronnie' Studd says. I'm only surprised that he's surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Ah FFS. Two minutes in and I already had to rewind to see that first red go in!

sligeach wrote: »
    How many would he have if he had to play decent opposition?

Thep, Ding, Williams and Selby is a pretty hard route to any final.

petronius wrote: »

Including no cocaine, stable sensible family background. He would be chasing Joe Davis record. But it is all what ifs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I reckon Wilson is going to go up a couple of levels from this afternoon (not hard I know) and win this session and make a real game of it tomorrow.

Unlucky split for Wilson. He’s looking more comfortable so far this evening than he did at any point this afternoon

Ronnie wana quit all these contrived idiosyncrasies...poseur!!

Using words like "poseur" somewhat 'derogates' your not unreasonable point :):)

If you had said "poser", no-one (ie me :D) would have batted an eyelid. :pac:

Big steal on here!!

• Advertisement

Oh Kyren, you threw that frame away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Thep, Ding, Williams and Selby is a pretty hard route to any final.

That looks difficult on paper, if they were playing well, they're far from it. Ding is useless. Williams has contemplated retiring. Thep, fast, but not great. And Selby is nothing like he used to be.

Wilson is beyond useless.

A Sheffield Steal! Get in!

Stunning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,044 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hendry was right. This is over.

Robbery

The safety genius of Ronnie there, not trying for a snooker behind black... Leaves the difficult red hittable instead. Nice pot on the black to win the frame too.

Wilson has to win this mini session to have any hope, i dont think he has a hope but there's still a lot to play for

Parts of Ronnie’s play is peak performance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The simple fact is that Wilson is very lucky to be in this final, He scraped past McGill with a fluked green and being on the lucky side of the draw.

He will do well to win ten frames unless Ronnie has a meltdown, and even then I wouldn’t fancy him.

Advertisement