Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭forumdedum

More shocking body language. What's he at talking to himself and shaking his head? It's a mini meltdown and it's not pretty.

I've come to believe he is an attention seeker.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

forumdedum wrote: »
    I don't like the way Ronnie only competes if he feels like it. For years he has said safety/snookers bore him. What a load of bull.

That's why he "only" has 5 world titles. He's probably the most exciting player to watch when he's on form but he likes to be a completely natural player so doesn't like doing the work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭raclle

He's a drama queen and its cringe to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Incessant one..

Loves the attention and drama.

Completely contrived as well...

Decent skin, though, just always acting!!!

So Ken's gone from 9 hours to learn his line to 4 hours.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Ronnie in this tournament is like the football team at the top of the league who can still get results while not playing well.

Those teams often, maybe not always, end up as champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Hendry certainly had something Ronnie doesn't have. Whatever it is, is isn't about pure snooker ability, it's more psychological.

Hendry is a very honest commentator, and he thinks Ronnie is still the best player he's ever seen.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Hendry certainly had something Ronnie doesn't have. Whatever it is, is isn't about pure snooker ability, it's more psychological.

Hendry is a very honest commentator, and he thinks Ronnie is still the best player he's ever seen.

Psychology is massive.

Clareman wrote: »
    That's why he "only" has 5 world titles. He's probably the most exciting player to watch when he's on form but he likes to be a completely natural player so doesn't like doing the work

Everything is 5% talent, 95% hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Wilson is not playing well enough to be considered world champion, he's almost under constant pressure due to his lack of cueball control. Ronnie looks like he's bored out of his mind and battling with himself more than his opponent. Must be hard to have the motivation to keep playing when he's in a different league. He can be a total prick though with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

delighted with that session, was afraid Ronnie was going to run away with the final

setup a great final day tomorrow

and what's with all the bitching about someone you don't know? you see a lad a few times a year on telly and think that you get the right to judge him, terrible carry on on this forum at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I reckon Wilson is going to go up a couple of levels from this afternoon (not hard I know) and win this session and make a real game of it tomorrow.

Can count himself hugely unlucky not to have taken more from that session but think he will be hugely confident tomorrow and why wouldn't he after Ronnie's performance tonight.

Ronnie better find that cue action very quickly.

Wilson is not playing well enough to be considered world champion, he's almost under constant pressure due to his lack of cueball control. Ronnie looks like he's bored out of his mind and battling with himself more than his opponent. Must be hard to have the motivation to keep playing when he's in a different league. He can be a total prick though with it.

Wilson looks good to me but I could be wrong. I'm not an expert.

Different league? What if Wilson wins this?

Alarm bell: Perhaps Ronnie is feeling the pressure because he implied Wilson is an amateur in that interview. That would be some story if Wilson were to win this.

Ronnie better find that cue action very quickly.

Ronnie will find his cue action when he needs to, you saw him pull it out of his arse when he was 14-16 down to Selby.

Psychology is massive.

Well yes. If you have 2 players with completely equal ability in every respect, then it's all about psychology in the end.

• Advertisement

Well yes. If you have 2 players with completely equal ability in every respect, then it's all about psychology in the end.

Agree

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Ronnie was totally gone there tonight. He only won his last two frames due to ridiculous flukes. It's not far fetched to say Wilson really should have won that session 7-2 and be leading 9-8.

And i dont buy this 'Ronnie is bored' nonsense. He is in his swiss role. He's under huge pressure and every now and then when something goes wrong his reaction and body language shows you how much he cares. Probably cares too much about getting a 6th World Championship because as much as he plays down stats and records he is a keen student of the game and knows the magnitude of winning another title. Thats why he looks so under the cosh and his game is unravelling and his confidence is shot to pieces as a result.

Alarm bell: Perhaps Ronnie is feeling the pressure because he implied Wilson is an amateur in that interview. That would be some story if Wilson were to win this.

He did similar against Selby in the semi-finals and I think Selby called it right in that Ronnie was deliberately belittling Selby lashing the balls all over the place every time Selby snookered him as if "go way with your ****e'. He did similar with Wilson in that frame earlier where Ronnie needed a few snookers, where he stayed on and cleared up more or less trying to send Wilson the message that he was only toying with him. He shows no respect to his opponent as it's all about him. Wilson really needs to up his game if he's to be proven a worthy champion.

He did similar against Selby in the semi-finals and I think Selby called it right in that Ronnie was deliberately belittling Selby lashing the balls all over the place every time Selby snookered him as if "go way with your ****e'. He did similar with Wilson in that frame earlier where Ronnie needed a few snookers, where he stayed on and cleared up more or less trying to send Wilson the message that he was only toying with him. He shows no respect to his opponent as it's all about him.

Fair enough. He was lucky Selby messed up the final frame clearance. If you leave it too late to come back . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Ronnie has a number of 'issues' and is a bit of a prick at times. No doubt about it.

I thought he was taking the pi55 again when he went on about his cue action after beating Willo, but I think we can see today that he is genuinely struggling for consistency. He has been the greatest I've seen. A really beautiful player to watch in full flow. So I cut him some slack.
    He may have a point here after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I think I speak for all Ronnie fans when I say....thank Jaysus this tournament is over tomorrow one way or other!

Also...the only people talking sense on this thread are the ones that post on the snooker forum all year round.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ronnie has a number of 'issues' and is a bit of a prick at times. No doubt about it.

I thought he was taking the pi55 again when he went on about his cue action after beating Willo, but I think we can see today that he is genuinely struggling for consistency. He has been the greatest I've seen. A really beautiful player to watch in full flow. So I cut him some slack.

He does seem to be struggling to deliver the cue straight when he's trying to get low on the ball especially when he's trying to add some power to the shot.

zuutroy wrote: »
    I think I speak for all Ronnie fans when I say....thank Jaysus this tournament is over tomorrow one way or other!

Also...the only people talking sense on this thread are the ones that post on the snooker forum all year round.

Sorry about that............

I don't buy into this cue action ****e. It can't be gone one frame and back again the next. Maybe Hendry has a point in what he said in commentary about Ronnie becoming almost obsessed with it. There's something not mentally right with him anyway

Angles was right in saying Ronnie really could have lost that third session v Selby 8-0. I thought so too. He was hanging on by his fingernails. He really could/should have lost the last seven frames tonight.That is not down to lack of fight or bottle but due to his game being an absolute shambles and being the perfectionist he is it has his mind scrambled. The more i think of it if he wins this match tomorrow it will be close to or maybe his greatest win ever.

Sorry about that............

Maybe I was generalising too much, but there's an awful lot of noise :(

raclle wrote: »
    I don't buy into this cue action ****e. It can't be gone one frame and back again the next. Maybe Hendry has a point in what he said in commentary about Ronnie becoming almost obsessed with it. There's something not mentally right with him anyway

It's like the darts when someone can't hit a certain double, Ronnie just has this thing in his head about a few shots for some reason, to me it looks like when he's elevating his cue

Right I'll leave you all to it so.

hahaha

Yea you're right. It's been an emotional rollercoaster for the full two weeks watching Ronnie. I'm feeling a little burned out myself. My mind is a bit scrambled the last two days as im confident one minute and a while later i'm having doubts. I've really enjoyed the championship but i dont think i could take much more after tomorrow. Think i've only missed about 2 sessions on tv over the whole tournament.

• Advertisement

Watched the qualifiers too. Looking forward to the month off now!

There has been an unusually high amount of blow-ins this years I've noticed. And a thread in After Hours which is very unusual. Not that I think that's a bad thing. Least is shows there are ppl watching.

I opted not to watch the quals. As much as I love snooker a month of it is a beyond my attention span ability.

Bloody hell i forgot about the qualifiers. I watched a lot of that. Remember poor Fergal going out to Wenbo. So that's a good three solid weeks of wall to wall snooker. Definately need a break from it (pardon the pun) :)

There has been an unusually high amount of blow-ins this years I've noticed. And a thread in After Hours which is very unusual. Not that I think that's a bad thing. Least is shows there are ppl watching.

The more the better, but when it turns into the 'is Ronnie a prick?' thread it's a bit painful.

This is the first World Championship thread i've posted on here and i've enjoyed the discussion, banter and debate. It's really enhanced the two weeks of the tournament and you almost forgot about the coronavirus for the whole whiile.

The more the better, but when it turns into the 'is Ronnie a prick?' thread it's a bit painful.

Ronnie is a phenomenon so people will have an opinion about him.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Last years thread was only 89 pages, an absolute ghost town some days, I would say people working from home and Ronnie going on a run would be the factors in the increased interest this year, I left the thread to watch one of the frames this evening and it had grown by 3 pages at the end of the frame, pretty much unheard of even at the business end over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Ronnie seems to have a resentment towards the game. He reminds me of the song writer Nick Drake who became consumed by the world's lack of appreciation for his undoubted genius. He's one of the most naturally talented sports people in history, unfortunately from his point of view, it's for one of the most unrecognized sports. The psycologicall pressure is like no other sport and it leads to mental implosion. Ronnie could come out tomorrow and reel off 5 centuries but if it's like today I wouldn't see three frames as enough cushion. Wilson's time has come, if he can play solid tomorrow the title is his

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This is the first World Championship thread i've posted on here and i've enjoyed the discussion, banter and debate. It's really enhanced the two weeks of the tournament and you almost forgot about the coronavirus for the whole while.

Being great for either live reactions/catching up on bits missed. I have enjoyed the tournament I think it has being much better fare than the more popular sports at the moment. Constant drama. Many will remember bits of it in years to come.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This is the first World Championship thread i've posted on here and i've enjoyed the discussion, banter and debate..
    Same!!!

I normally just lurk but Ronnie has gotten me so incensed with his interviews I decided to post.

I don't hate the guy but he's no role model for the sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Comete blow in here but I've been hooked on this championship. When Ronnie is good he is unreal, when he is bad he is terrible. Its like he is brainwashed to play a beautiful game and any time he cannot or is not allowed play that he falls apart.

There is an element of "winning ugly" in every sport but it seems like that concept is offensive to Ronnie and something he doesn't want to stoop to.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TheHopeful

Can't believe how bad Ronnie was this evening! But yet he still only lost the session 5-4. Wilson should be kicking himself. Missed his numerous opportunities. That last frame was huge. 3 frames gives Ronnie plenty breathing space.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Time for Ronnie to retire the state of him ths evening . Side locks over grown gone grey not shaved ffs . Wilson has highlights in the hair well dressed making an effort so u know it might just pay off for him if Lady Luck decides to change over.

Comete blow in here but I've been hooked on this championship. When Ronnie is good he is unreal, when he is bad he is terrible. Its like he is brainwashed to play a beautiful game and any time he cannot or is not allowed play that he falls apart.

There is an element of "winning ugly" in every sport but it seems like that concept is offensive to Ronnie and something he doesn't want to stoop to.

Great point, on many occasions Ronnie has mentioned how xyz player plays the game "the right way". Meaning open and attacking snooker.
    Same auld guff is said in other sports GAA/Soccer. Always annoys me because there is no set way to play a game.

A fella like Ronnie who literally sees the picture of the table in his head, should easily be able to delve into long safety bouts and win. But frustration gets the better of him. True greats in any sport are those who adapt and change in my opinion. O'Sullivan had a brief phase where he went tactical working with Reardon in fairness. Was only fleeting.

• Advertisement

Time for Ronnie to retire the state of him ths evening . Side locks over grown gone grey not shaved ffs . Wilson has highlights in the hair well dressed making an effort so u know it might just pay off for him if Lady Luck decides to change over.

Thankfully this is the World Snooker Championship and not Sheffield's Next Top Model.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Thankfully this is the World Snooker Championship and not Sheffield's Next Top Model.

Do u think Ronnie is actually with the program ths evening , he’s not Himself when did u ever see him throw himself on the table for missing a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

As finals go the standard has been awful. Maybe some magic tomorrow

Do u think Ronnie is actually with the program ths evening , he’s not Himself when did u ever see him throw himself on the table for missing a shot

He has it in his head that his cue action is terrible, so he is frustrating himself (as usual). Because he is thinking about it so much ruins his natural flow. Still think he will win handy about 2 frames per each of Wilson's 1 until the end. Mainly because Wilson is not relaxed.

That was a kick to be fair. Can't be 100% certain about that but he missed a short ball by miles; had to be a kick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement