Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

Do u think Ronnie is actually with the program ths evening , he’s not Himself when did u ever see him throw himself on the table for missing a shot

I've been watching him play for years, could be pretty sure I've seen him do it before. I've definitely seen him look worse in appearance over the years but still perform well. Even though Wilson played a good session this evening, I thought both players looked close to out on their feet. I'd say they are bolloxed.

It was some of his wild shots against Selby yesterday which raised an eyebrow with me. It was as if he didn't care at times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

I've been watching him play for years, could be pretty sure I've seen him do it before. I've definitely seen him look worse in appearance over the years but still perform well. Even though Wilson played a good session this evening, I thought both players looked close to out on their feet. I'd say they are bolloxed.

It was some of his wild shots against Selby yesterday which raised an eyebrow with me. It was as if he didn't care at times.

He didn’t seem to care much ths evening either it’s like his candle has burned out for the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

raclle wrote: »
    Same!!!

I normally just lurk but Ronnie has gotten me so incensed with his interviews I decided to post.

I don't hate the guy but he's no role model for the sport

Used to be my favourite player when I was a young fella. Not now given his constant antics. But I do find it fascinating to see how much longer his natural talent, attitude, and muscle memory counter his aging process.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

He didn’t seem to care much ths evening either it’s like his candle has burned out for the game

Maybe so, but I always thought he had a carefree demeanor about him, an air of of 'If I win...I win. If I don't...meh'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭raclle

Used to be my favourite player when I was a young fella. Not now given his constant antics. But I do find it fascinating to see how much longer his natural talent, attitude, and muscle memory counter his aging process.
    I never really liked him mainly because of his attitude. He never changed. Even when he was younger the amount of times he would go on about quitting the sport. He was ungrateful and then got psychological help which improved his game and moulded him into the player he has become but his attitude remained.

Most players don't have his talent and try there hardest to earn a living from the sport but it does come across as disrespectful the way he behaves sometimes towards other players and even fans.

My favourite player since he's come on the scene has being Ding. I liked Ken as a kid mainly because he was Irish and then there was a golden era where I enjoyed watching Williams, Stevens, Higgins etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

I never really liked him mainly because of his attitude. He never changed. Even when he was younger the amount of times he would go on about quitting the sport. He was ungrateful and then got psychological help which improved his game and moulded him into the player he has become but his attitude remained.

Most players don't have his talent and try there hardest to earn a living from the sport but it does come across as disrespectful the way he behaves sometimes towards other players and even fans.

My favourite player since he's come on the scene has being Ding. I liked Ken as a kid mainly because he was Irish and then there was a golden era where I enjoyed watching Williams, Stevens, Higgins etc.

Forget about your opinion of his attitude, being ungrateful etc..
    He is a top class professional player in his game. Yes he speaks his mind and has had his own issues (very public) but don't forget he is still a class act on the table albeit one who doesn't conform to the traditional snooker player form..which is a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It might be mental health problems at the back of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

The quality of this years championship hasn't been anything too great, but for tension and nail biting frames it's been one of the best I can ever remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

AllForIt wrote: »
    There has been an unusually high amount of blow-ins this years I've noticed. And a thread in After Hours which is very unusual. Not that I think that's a bad thing. Least is shows there are ppl watching.

I'm a complete blow in, only watching because it's Ronnie otherwise I've no interest.

Only realised the world championship was on when I heard his controversial comments so as they say there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Ronnie's the greatest player to play the game and the most naturally gifted player ever, all the top pros agree on this. His biggest weakness has always been the mental side of things, he gets frustrated must quicker and easier than most other players. Some people on here have suggested he doesn't put the work in that other players do, if he didn't he wouldn't have lasted as long at the top. He's definitely not as good as he was in his prime, his long potting is hit and miss now and safety play at times isn't great especially when he plays those wild shots.
    I genuinely think he doesn't really care if he wins the world title or about the records, he just wants to play well and gets frustrated with himself when he doesn't. I wouldn't be surprised if he retires after today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

He gets more frustrated with his own bad play than what the other player does and at times looks like he's almost given up, but, then come along the next frame and play flawlessly like he did at end of Selby match. His form even from frame to frame is inconsistent and unpredictable, this is what frustrates him, he can't find any consistency. It's hard to know how today will go, Ronnie could easily go on a run where he wins 3 or 4 frames in 30 or 40 mins and run away with it or he could continue playing like he did in last nights session which would give Wilson every chance. I think Wilson will find it difficult to get over the winning line if he gets into that position as he does get emotional especially if it's close.
    Hopefully it'll be won by good play and not by one player falling apart today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Last frame was huge last night, Ronnie was all over the place but still has a 3 frame lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Time for Ronnie to retire the state of him ths evening . Side locks over grown gone grey not shaved ffs . Wilson has highlights in the hair well dressed making an effort so u know it might just pay off for him if Lady Luck decides to change over.

First time posting here and still only watching because Ronnie is still in. He is such a flawed character and his head is his worst opponent. There are times when he appears really balanced and looks well and his game is spot on. Unfortunately the "other" Ronnie is turning up to games more and more.

I had to go to work before the Selby match finished and as far as I was concerned that night he was out, couldn't believe when I tuned in on my break to see they were interviewing Ronnie on Eurosport.

I had a bad feeling from the start yesterday, anyone else thing you can gauge how Ronnie is going to go by his appearance? Thought he looked rough as a bears proverbial yesterday and his game was just as rough and hard to watch. Wilson in fairness to him took some of his chances(and did he get a lot of them) and is still well in this match.

Ronnie needs to somehow reenergise himself for today if he is to have any chance. First few frames will be vital for both players. I just hope the quality is better than yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Bruthal wrote: »
    It might be mental health problems at the back of it all.

Please, no!!!!!!

Can people not just be assholes anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Today would have been the All Ireland hurling final but instead they are discussing the world snooker final on rte radio right now. Cant remember the last time the sport has got this much publicity, '85 or Alex threatening to have Dennis shot perhaps. Must admit i think I've heard more amateur psychological insights into ronnie osullivans mind than i can cope with, but its all good and the more the merrier.

Was an alex fan back in the day and find his commentary hard sometimes, but this is a great interview by Dennis on rte. Have the utmost respect for him in so many ways.

Today would have been the All Ireland hurling final but instead they are discussing the world snooker final on rte radio right now. Cant remember the last time the sport has got this much publicity, '85 or Alex threatening to have Dennis shot perhaps. Must admit i think I've heard more amateur psychological insights into ronnie osullivans mind than i can cope with, but its all good and the more the merrier.

Was an alex fan back in the day and find his commentary hard sometimes, but this is a great interview by Dennis on rte. Have the utmost respect for him in so many ways.

Think this is a major reason for snooker getting the spotlight. Major gap in normal 'high profile' sport bar CL soccer.(Before LOI people want to kill me media's focus on LOI is lukewarm at best.)

Watching the snooker now with the focus on it makes me feel like it is back in the mid 80's early 90's feels 'important' again.

walshb wrote: »
    Please, no!!!!!!

Yeah as I have had experience with people who used the badge of 'depression' to behave like dickheads (to put it nicely). Long before 'mental health' was a trendy buzz word. Some people with these issues can be nice people and others far from it.

I think Ronnie seeks attention good or bad because of all those years he missed out with his 'hero' Dad. Who he deludes himself into thinking was just 'at the wrong place wrong time.' As he said in his book.

TLDR He is a great player but an attention seeking asshole with serious 'daddy issues'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

The World snooker final usually gets decent coverage the weekend of the final so i'd be a little disappointed if the likes of RTE or Newstalk didn't do something on it. Can only speak for myself but i dont feel it's getting that more coverage than usual. I usually take a week or two off work myself to watch it and possibly my favourite two weeks of the year. Maybe for others it's more important or whatever this year and some 'new' fans have come on board due to the pandemic but for me the importance of winning it is the same as ever.

Yeah as I have had experience with people who used the badge of 'depression' to behave like dickheads (to put it nicely). Long before 'mental health' was a trendy buzz word. Some people with these issues can be nice people and others far from it.

I think Ronnie seeks attention good or bad because of all those years he missed out with his 'hero' Dad. Who he deludes himself into thinking was just 'at the wrong place wrong time.' As he said in his book.

TLDR He is a great player but an attention seeking asshole with serious 'daddy issues'

It could be worse. At least he didn't headbutt an official or threaten to kill an opponent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

If Ronnie can win 4 or more this afternoon I think it's pretty much job done.

Some of the stuff Ronnie does and says is ridiculous and he can be cruel and nasty with a vicious tongue. I don't like that side to him and never make excuses for it. I just love him as a snooker player. And always have. That will never change.

It could be worse. At least he didn't headbutt an official or threaten to kill an opponent.

Ronnie never even pissed in plant pot in fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah as I have had experience with people who used the badge of 'depression' to behave like dickheads (to put it nicely). Long before 'mental health' was a trendy buzz word. Some people with these issues can be nice people and others far from it.9

Disgusting post, it’s not hard to see who the attention seeking dickhead asshole is.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Ronnie never even pissed in plant pot in fairness!

He says things that are mildly controversial and he gets distracted by slow play. Apart from that, he's the best potter by a mile and one of the best positional player. That's allowed him to win a lot of contests at a gallop. He's great for the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

You might want to have a chat with mike ganley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Not been able to get to boards since Friday, but really enjoyed the 2 Semi Final ends, and the final so far. The Semis for tension and brilliance, the Final for drama.

I expect two things today,

1. Ronnie at some point will reel off 3 frames in less than 30 mins, maybe a fourth.
    2.Wilson will start to feel the pressure of possibly becoming world champ.

I think the outcome will be when and in what order they happen.

Looking forward to it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Cheeky €20 on Wilson to do it. I really hope he does himself justice today, very likeable guy and a pleasure to watch when he's on form.

tanko wrote: »
    Disgusting post, it’s not hard to see who the attention seeking dickhead asshole is.

Why? Because I am telling my honest opinion based on past experience and based on Ronnie's issues and behaviour. Only difference is pro players use code 'Ronnie being Ronnie'. Remember this was the fella who said to Hendry send him back to his sad little life etc.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/friendship-put-aside-as-hendry-puts-osullivan-on-the-back-foot-in-bid-for-an-eighth-world-snooker-6672473.html

Can't quite believe he has a chance at 6. Never thought it would happen.

Please, no!!!!!!

He has mental problems. Being an asshole is not exclusive to people with mental problems, or to people with no mental problems.

• Advertisement

Ronnie was in practising at 10 am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I’ve my fingers crossed that Wilson wins the first couple of frames today, it would make the rest of the match very interesting

tanko wrote: »

No, the poster’s post was spot on..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Come on Ronnie

Wilson looks fairly terrified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Ronnie shaved.......Now he means business!!! :pac:

Bruthal wrote: »
    He has mental problems. Being an asshole is not exclusive to people with mental problems, or to people with no mental problems.

Has mental problems? It even sounds so ridiculous. He’s just a man. No more no less. Says some controversial things from time to time. World is full of it...

It’s nothing to do with “mental.” The most bandied about lot of nonsense to explain people’s less than desirable sides...

Nobody is perfect. We can all be assholes from time to time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

So the fans are only allowed attend 1 out of the 4 final sessions. Good.

They're talking nonsense about players looking fresher.

This is a great break after a ridiculous opening red. Bar Ronnie's two huge flukes last night it would be eight frames on the spin for Wilson. He has now dominated Ronnie for eight straight frames.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Great start by Wilson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Ah yes, the knowledgeable crucible crowd, as opposed to the brain dead zombies that attend other sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

That long red by Wilson.

And there was the frame Kyren lost when potting the blue, also knocked in a red. It could have been 9-8 to Kyren had he been a little luckier.

Has mental problems? It even sounds so ridiculous. He’s just a man. No more no less. Says some controversial things from time to time. World is full of it...

It’s nothing to do with “mental.” The most bandied about lot of nonsense to explain people’s less than desirable sides...

Nobody is perfect. We can all be assholes from time to time..
    He is regularly an asshole. And shows signs of mental instability at times. If you think it impossible for mental instability to be a possibility in someone to the extent that you think it sounds ridiculous, that is fair enough. Being "just a man", is meaningless to that end.

Ronnie is surviving on a diet of flukes.

Ah ya, more flukes for Ronnie. It's cruel.

Anthony Hamilton couldn't beat an egg. Had he been told he wouldn't get his paycheck regardless, he might have turned up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Why didnt Anthony Hamilton play Kyren in the first round?

Was it due to Covid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Why didnt Anthony Hamilton play Kyren in the first round?

Was it due to Covid?

Yes, he has severe asthma. Didn't want to play of crowds were going to be allowed.

Advertisement