Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

It does prove ronnies point though, he’ll win this tournament with his c game with splashes of his a and b game. Doesn’t say much for the standard of the other players, he’s 44 for God’s sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ronnie coasting in second gear.

Different gravy!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Wilson missing too many chances, only himself to blame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

The two Ronnie's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

What a rollercoaster of emotions it has been watching Ronnie all week. Right now i'm feeling very confident that he's going to finish the job off. That mini session has allayed most doubts. Even with parity in the next mini session Ronnie would lead 15-10 and it would be time for the fat lady to warm her vocal chords.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

Anyone for cueschool? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

What a rollercoaster of emotions it has been watching Ronnie all week. Right now i'm feeling very confident that he's going to finish the job off. That mini session has allayed most doubts. Even with parity in the next mini session Ronnie would lead 15-10 and it would be time for the fat lady to warm her vocal chords.

14-11 would give me pause for thought though!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Goes to show how important the last frame was last night, if Wilson got it back to 9-9, who knows what frame of mind Ronnie would be in, any less than three frames for Wilson this session and it's hard to see a way back for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Hard to believe Jimmy lost from this position at 14-8 in 1992

• Advertisement

Hendry sounds deflated that Ronnie is looking like winning another title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

FFS...I was just about to post, Wilson to do a 1992 Hendry now!!!

Pundits slating Wilson’s ability on bbc

Dennis: 2004 Ronnie beat Dott 18-18....

Even harder to believe he lost the next 10 frames in a row.

Even harder to believe he lost the next 10 frames in a row.

Yeh. Ten in a row..

Sports quintessential bottler!!

His 1994 loss worse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Wilson needs to wipe down the shaft. Too sticky at the moment. Can’t control his balls either. Needs to adjust. Keeps putting the white one in the wrong places. Needs to make it hard for Ronnie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

walshb wrote: »
    Yeh. Ten in a row..

Sports quintessential bottler!!

His 1994 loss worse!

That black. FFS.

Huge gulf in ability here really. Ronnie still in 3rd gear.

Easy to believe. If you feel under pressure you can't play properly. That's why Ronnie has such easy matches most of the time in early rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭raclle

McGill would've made a better fight of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Neeson wrote: »
    Wilson needs to wipe down the shaft. Too sticky at the moment. Can’t control his balls either. Needs to adjust. Keeps putting the white one in the wrong places. Needs to make it hard for Ronnie.

He needs to sink the pink but the holes are just too tight for him

• Advertisement

amens wrote: »
    Easy to believe. If you feel under pressure you can't play properly. That's why Ronnie has such easy matches most of the time in early rounds.

No excuse for losing every one of the last 10 frames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Hendry sounds deflated that Ronnie is looking like winning another title.

Probably more deflated how much of a mismatch it is

Especially with his ability.

Early night tonight anyway.

Nice to have a stress free last session to enjoy. Once Ronnie wins i don't mind if it's boring or elementary. Ronnie has suffered a lot in Sheffield since 2014 final so to finally win the big one one more time is so satisfying. The record books and the trophy don't tell you how 'exciting' the final was. Seeing his name engraved on the silverware later on is all that matters.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Can't see us being here after midnight somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Rocket looks lit. Hard for Wilson to chase down a rocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Wilson getting some practice in, frame is lost.

I’d say selby is sick looking at this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Strange going for last red

You'd have to personally experience such a situation to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Bruthal wrote: »
    Strange going for last red

Terrible decision. He should have tried to get a snooker from it for the option of a free ball if Ronnie has missed

Terrible decision. He should have tried to get a snooker from it for the option of a free ball if Ronnie has missed

Yes very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

20 years ago I never would have predicted Ronnie would get 6 World titles.
    Only last year Steve Davis said he could not see O'Sullivan breaking Hendry's 7.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/23/ronnie-osullivan-will-never-break-stephen-hendrys-world-championship-record-says-steve-davis-9292292/

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

amens wrote: »
    You'd have to personally experience such a situation to know.

Were talking about the highest levels of sport. I was as big a Jimmy fan as anyone. He bottled it. Loads of times.

Still love him though!
    20 years ago I never would have predicted Ronnie would get 6 World titles.
    Only last year Steve Davis said he could not see O'Sullivan breaking Hendry's 7.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/23/ronnie-osullivan-will-never-break-stephen-hendrys-world-championship-record-says-steve-davis-9292292/

I might stick a tenner on him winning 8 at this rate!

Super pot!

Wilson all at sea. Against a top player at the highest level, if he has no A game, he's goosed (certainly showing it this last two days)

That last red in the last frame says it all. The pink and blue together were in a perfect spot to lay a tasty snooker - different position on red, send it up to baulk, cueball snug against pink and blue, good chance of at least 4 points, if not a freeball as well.

Or maybe it's a once off; strange times and all.

I don't think i'll ever enjoy watching Wilson play. He's a good player and i'm sure we'll see him in more big matches and finals but unlike with a lot of other players who you'd be keen to watch he just doesn't get my snooker juices flowing. Never has. Never will. He lacks the X Facor, charisma and flamboyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭swarmberg

Ticket holders for tonight's session are going to feel a bit ripped off, they will be lucky to see more than a few frames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Can anyone explain Steve Davis's point about Wilson not thinking properly when he attempted to pot the last red in the last frame.

Something about a free ball.

He needed two four point snookers.
    What difference would having the last red around make to making those two snookers.

It's bugging me. Someone might be able to explain it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Won’t be a much of an evening session

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Mad to.think ronnies first win was his hardest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

swarmberg wrote: »
    Ticket holders for tonight's session are going to feel a bit ripped off, they will be lucky to see more than a few frames.

Probably just one frame I'd say

Wilson has been really bad today, practice session for Ronnie.

The Nal wrote: »
    I might stick a tenner on him winning 8 at this rate!

Will be close surely one of the younger crop will step up? And Ronnie has to start losing sharpness. Signs of it in this final. Any seasoned pro who has won it before would have beaten him in this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Can anyone explain Steve Davis's point about Wilson not thinking properly when he attempted to pot the last red in the last frame.

What difference would having the last red around make to making those two snookers.

With last red snookered, opponent misses red and leaves free ball if path to red is not clear to both sides of it. Take colour as red and a black, still have remaining red, thus getting 4 points foul, extra 8 for freeball with black, in effect 3 snookers worth with 1 snooker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I'd like to see Wilson win one. Seems like a decent bloke and pours his heart and soul into snooker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Wilson thinking that frame was the last of the session just shows how scrambled his mind is now

Cos if red is left could be free ball if miss snooker. Like an extra red.

Will be close surely one of the younger crop will step up? And Ronnie has to start losing sharpness. Signs of it in this final. Any seasoned pro who has won it before would have beaten him in this one.

Who looks like they can step up though?

Ronnie would find another gear if Wilson did. He just doesn't need to.

It's the freeball rule.

In short, if he snookered Ronnie & Ronnie didn't hit the red, but left Wilson unable to hit that red on both sides, a 'freeball' would be called - any other ball can be used as a red; thus an extra 8 possible points to play with.

Completely different with no reds left ie if he laid a snooker on the yellow, and got a similar result, then any ball left could be used as a yellow, which would only yield an additional 2 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Phenomenal stuff from Ronnie

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
Advertisement