Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Strange to have 2 Irish pundits on the beeb for the last session.

Is it Dougal and Ted?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Missed this afternoon's session, looks like I'm not going to get much snooker today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

sligeach wrote: »
    O'Sullivan was a good player, but there's a reason he hasn't won for 7 years. His long potting has been awful, took multiple efforts to win frames and blasting the cueball as hard as he could when he was in snookers. Worthy champion my @R$€;!

Who was a more worth champion this year? Pull your head out, you don't win at the crucible without being the best there, you can have a bad session and come back. Cream rises to the top, standard might be down a bit this year but hes the most deserving winner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Jesus - opening red was shot of the tournament

Called it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

O'Sullivan was a good player, but there's a reason he hasn't won for 7 years. His long potting has been awful, took multiple efforts to win frames and blasting the cueball as hard as he could when he was in snookers. Worthy champion my @R$€;!

Was a good player! Haha

Can you be banned for talking rubbish? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Brian? wrote: »
    Embarrassed? That's a ridiculous thing say.

No it's not. There's not a single player who can hold their head up high and say they've played well this year. With the exception of McGill who went above and beyond his ability in my opinion. Who still in the last frame of his semi-final gave away 40 points on a snooker and couldn't hit a red that he should have hit on his 3rd attempt. The torture only ended because he got to the snookers required stage. Or snookered himself on the green with the pink a bit later. Anyway, I don't want to be too harsh on him.

Nice touch from kyron

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Raving_Magic

Brilliant Ronnie...delighted for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Feel sorry for Wilson. Just didn't play well. He's a much better player than he's shown here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Not a fan of Ronnie but fair play. Probably the greatest ever snooker player.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The afternoon session both days cost Wilson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Simply genious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Too easy..

Wilson, sadly, did not turn up. Had heaps chances to win frames...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Fantastic from Ronnie. Wonderful talent and how anyone can say a world champion isn't at the races anymore or isn't that good is showing how little they know about snooker or how much they just don't like Ronnie. It's one or the other.

Delighted for him to win. And also its been great to see the championship this year when it looked like it may not happen. Kyren seems like a lovely guy, feel bad that he got somewhat drubbed.

Ronnie's bird - shakes fist :mad: :D

What she said about his 'grooming'/ 'gardening' on "Loose Women" a couple of years ago.. Broad should be ashamed of herself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Anyone know what the 25k to charity is about? Taylor said if Ronnie clears the table a charity would get 25,000

This is it wrote: »

I think so..

He has beaten so many great players across more “eras”

Hendry has one more world title, but both in same era, and Hendry no way wins 7...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

This is it wrote: »

To win the world championship at the age of 44 is an incredible achievement, he has overtaken Hendry with the most ranking tournament wins now also, definitely the best player ever.

What she said about his 'grooming'/ 'gardening' on "Loose Women" a couple of years ago.. Broad should be ashamed of herself

Gimme the lowdown here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

This young fella is a class act.
    Disappointed Ronnie wouldn't stand to applaud him.

• Advertisement

Nice touch from kyron

When RO'S beat him in another final one of his kids said I am going to punch that RO'S. :D Was behind the scenes thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

siblers wrote: »
    Anyone know what the 25k to charity is about? Taylor said if Ronnie clears the table a charity would get 25,000

Something to do with reaching a number of centuries. If the tournament gets to X centuries....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

walshb wrote: »
    I think so..

He has beaten so many great players across more “eras”

Hendry has one more world title, but both in same era, and Hendry no way wins 7...

Even Hendry has constantly said Ronnie is the greatest ever

This young fella is a class act.
    Disappointed Ronnie wouldn't stand to applaud him.

Kind of noticed that..

Ronnie should be up standing!!!

Why the host hug Ronnie, but said couldn’t hug Kyron..

siblers wrote: »

Number of centuries. Over 81 centuries or something gets 25k

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No it's not. There's not a single player who can hold their head up high and say they've played well this year. With the exception of McGill who went above and beyond his ability in my opinion. Who still in the last frame of his semi-final gave away 40 points on a snooker and couldn't hit a red that he should have hit on his 3rd attempt. The torture only ended because he got to the snookers required stage. Or snookered himself on the green with the pink a bit later. Anyway, I don't want to be too harsh on him.

You don’t think the whole global pandemic effected the players? They’ve played feck all this year.

Calling it embarrassing is just silly.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Nice words from Ronnie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Finished perfectly in time for the football.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Fair play to Ronnie there acknowledging him

walshb wrote: »
    Gimme the lowdown here?

Something about him being hairy; and shaving various regions iirc.. :(

And all the harpees laughing like banshees.... They caught some flack over it at the time I believe... Not too much... If it was the other way around - a bloke talking about his bird's waxing/shaving etc.. probably be hung for it in the meedja.... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Feel sorry for Wilson. Just didn't play well. He's a much better player than he's shown here.

My thoughts too. It’s a pity he couldn’t get going at all

Nice words from Ronnie.

He’s strangely coherent in that interview

That’s Ronnie..

All an act when acting the maggot..

I think there is no doubt that Ronnie is the best natural player of all time but I don't know if he's the best of all time, the likes of Davis (all 3), Reardon and Hendry all brought something new to the game to bring it up a level.

Whose the lad with the pony tail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Other than winning this has never been my dream when I was younger but...nice when your dream becomes a reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Whatever about Ronnie loosing a bit of this edge, he can still knock in those 60+ breaks in no time at all like no other player can. So advantageous to be able to do that in matchplay, really puts the pressure on his opponent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Not sure I'd be admitting to watching Loose Women:)

McGill’s shot was the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

McGill red shot of the championship for me

Ronnie is never going to say he's the greatest, similar for Hendry.

Ronnie is undoubtedly the 'best of all time' without question.

'Greatest' , however, has slightly different connotations.

WD RONNIE

Go for eight now - End the debate for good and all!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I think that ends the debate really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Everyone involved in snooker should be embarrassed by this inevitable hollow title for O'Sullivan.

Your the one that should be embarrassed with such a ridiculous post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I do like the Eurosport's snooker anchor. Refreshing in contrast to the BBC's more formal presentation style.

One quip from him I recall amounts others:

"He nicked so many frames in that session he should be doing community service"

Ronnie on Eurosport now comparing hair cuts throughout the years

• Advertisement

Happy4all wrote: »
    Not sure I'd be admitting to watching Loose Women:)

:pac:

Admission - what admission?? :p

I saw that it were mentioned elsewhere, and I think the clip was on YouTube.

Am sticking to that defence :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Great to see Ronnie so genuinely happy and gracious in victory. Couldn't ask for a better two weeks really. The fact the tournament went ahead was a bonus in itself. To see Higgins get a 147 was momentous. Two of the best semi finals ever. And to cap it off, the game's greatest ever player lifting the silverware. The Rocket does it again. Catch you guys next year. Over and out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Enjoyed those 17 days. Maybe not always classic play, not a great final but glad Ronnie won once Willo and Trump went out. The Friday of the semis will go down as one of the great days in sport.

This programme on the making of toilet paper is an apt replacement filler for the short-lived snooker.

zuutroy wrote: »
    I think that ends the debate really.

No it doesn't. Hendry is the greatest, by far for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement