Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bollocks they are moving off the red button to iplayer and website @10pm! We can't see that in Ireland!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Snooker in real need of some young blood. If Trump didn't exist there would be a crisis...and yet he's 31, not exactly an up and comer.

Rerack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Jimmy won 5-4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Still something very enjoyable about watching Jimmy play snooker after all these years. Just a natural snooker player, it's a pity he doesn't have the stamina to mix it with the best players any more.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Jimmy won 5-4

Ken must feel like retiring after that! To think I was feeling sorry for Jimmy at 4-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Would have liked to see Ken win it, but you could never begrudge the Whirlwind either.

Still something very enjoyable about watching Jimmy play snooker after all these years. Just a natural snooker player, it's a pity he doesn't have the stamina to mix it with the best players any more.

Yeah you just get flashes and sparks. Burns out quick. All in the head. Which really puts Ronnie's achievements in even greater perspective.

Ken must feel like retiring after that! To think I was feeling sorry for Jimmy at 4-0.

I was too, he looked a beaten man, fair play to him for fighting back. Ken really threw it away, but, hard to begrudge Jimmy the win either, he's had enough hard luck stories to last a lifetime.

I was too, he looked a beaten man, fair play to him for fighting back. Ken really threw it away, but, hard to begrudge Jimmy the win either, he's had enough hard luck stories to last a lifetime.

It seems to really mean a lot to Jimmy alright. I think he will play snooker until he can't walk around the table.

• Advertisement

World Seniors 2020 Doherty v White

Frames 1-3:

Frames 6-8:

Deciding frame:

Jimmy is a likable fella and all that. But all the stuff from Rob Walker and Dennis Taylor saying 'what a comeback!' seemed to be only said to try and mask Ken's collapse. Jimmy seemed a bit guilty winning I felt.

Ken must of had about 25 chances in those 9 frames and 4/5 great (even easy) chances to win it. I think Ken needs to get Steve Peters number from Ronnie. The way he tightened up on his cue action reminded of that jabby thing in did on the missed black in the Masters 2000.

I was thinking could it be described as 'the yips' brought on by pressure?

World Seniors 2020 Doherty v White

Frames 1-3:

Frames 6-8:

Deciding frame:

Jimmy is a likable fella and all that. But all the stuff from Rob Walker and Dennis Taylor saying 'what a comeback!' seemed to be only said to try and mask Ken's collapse. Jimmy seemed a bit guilty winning I felt.

Ken must of had about 25 chances in those 9 frames and 4/5 great (even easy) chances to win it. I think Ken needs to get Steve Peters number from Ronnie. The way he tightened up on his cue action reminded of that jabby thing in did on the missed black in the Masters 2000.

I was thinking could it be described as 'the yips' brought on by pressure?

Ken definitely lost it more than Jimmy won it. Thanks for uploading the final frame, thought it was bad form from BBC to stop coverage at beginning of final frame to show golf highlights, which could easily be shown 10-15 mins later, I wouldn't mind so much if it was actually live, don't think I've ever seen coverage of lve sport interrupted for highlights before.

Ken definitely lost it more than Jimmy won it. Thanks for uploading the final frame, thought it was bad form from BBC to stop coverage at beginning of final frame to show golf highlights, which could easily be shown 10-15 mins later, I wouldn't mind so much if it was actually live, don't think I've ever seen coverage of lve sport interrupted for highlights before.

Drives me mad what the BBC do, senseless. Has to be a cost cutting exercise? Surely they could have said usual golf highlights program delayed. Then played that madness concert they keep repeating on the RB after the snooker if needs be.

Made even less sense when Ken was playing as they should known well that people in Ireland can't get bbc player /website plus bbc block VPN's.

I was thinking what would they have done of Judge was playing Doherty in the final for example? Switch it off as well? = few viewers.

The BBC don't care about people watching the red button in Rep of Ireland. And quite frankly why should they. They provide a lot of hours on red button anyway. But yes it was just ridiculous to show womens golf highlights at 10pm each night while a live sport event was ongoing.

The sponsor doesn't care about the ROI market either.
    But I'm not sure how seemless a switch it is to iplayer. I never found it straightforward so you'd end up on the bbc sport website and it is not seemless and a pain to have to go from watching red button on the tv to the bbc sport website on a tablet/PC

What was the reason for the new commentators for this years championship?

Dave Farrar, didn't like him. I prefer former players. Don't think Joe Perry either.

I really dislike Alan McManus. The man never shuts up.

What was the reason for the new commentators for this years championship?

Dave Farrar, didn't like him. I prefer former players. Don't think Joe Perry either.

I really dislike Alan McManus. The man never shuts up.

McManus is the favourite (Hendry has described him as the best snooker commentator taking it to the next level)

I would agree with Hendry - McManus great on the technical stuff. Plus think he was only on BBC because he was at the crucible plus no other snooker commentator there.

Farrar was only there because Virgo could not travel because of Covid restrictions Virgo was in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

No doubt about Ken freezing at the wrong time, 4 up and missed so many opportunities it was embarrassing, White was handed that title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭cmac2009

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote: »

I don't know was that sad, funny, or a nice story? He decides to run care homes all of a sudden as if it is the most natural thing in the world. Plus the addiction to running, pouring milk slowly into tea, has signs of bi-polar, or manic personality disorder or OCD. Take your pick! Then there is his disdain for fellow pros down the order again! In fairness Ronnie does not seem like his father (personality wise) so that is a good thing.

Edit: Also he is friends with an auld wan in her 70s! (assumed he was caring for her until I read more detail)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Ken threw it away. Very frustrating. Huge fan, and nicest fella around, but he probably should have recognised he was playing crap and adjusted accordingly. He was borderline unable to play at points toward the end. As someone said, Jimmy looked guilty. Feels like that was his chance to add it to his CV. I could see it becoming more popular in years to come and harder to win. Hope Im wrong and he is back next year. Not a big deal ultimately, but a shame. That shot on the blue when 4-0 just too poor. Barely potted it which is why his position was so bad. In hindsight pink was very thin to take and stick up.

Ken my favourite player, but was never made of steel. 6 titles from 17 finals, and 4 of those wins were comfortable (5 frames or more). Missed the black on a 147 (his book says he was so nervous and wobbly that he wasnt sure he would hit the black - barely rattled jaws). His record falls short of his talent. Makes sense why he was so good at comebacks. I dont think he likes feeling like he should win. Amazing that 17 years on, I still remember him missing a ball down the top cushion against Mark Williams. I think he was 16-16 at the time, I even remember Dennis T making a big deal out of Ken getting on the shot, and then back up to deal with a bit of fluff on the top of the side cushion. He was playing well enough, coming back and looked set to shift momentum and go on and win the 2003 world final. Missed, and MJW never looked back. Ive actually seen him miss a 147 on the blue in person too!

Still - given us plenty to cheer. All be forgotten soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

elgriff wrote: »
    Ken threw it away. Very frustrating. Huge fan, and nicest fella around, but he probably should have recognised he was playing crap and adjusted accordingly. He was borderline unable to play at points toward the end. As someone said, Jimmy looked guilty. Feels like that was his chance to add it to his CV. I could see it becoming more popular in years to come and harder to win. Hope Im wrong and he is back next year. Not a big deal ultimately, but a shame. That shot on the blue when 4-0 just too poor. Barely potted it which is why his position was so bad. In hindsight pink was very thin to take and stick up.

Ken my favourite player, but was never made of steel. 6 titles from 17 finals, and 4 of those wins were comfortable (5 frames or more). Missed the black on a 147 (his book says he was so nervous and wobbly that he wasnt sure he would hit the black - barely rattled jaws). His record falls short of his talent. Makes sense why he was so good at comebacks. I dont think he likes feeling like he should win. Amazing that 17 years on, I still remember him missing a ball down the top cushion against Mark Williams. I think he was 16-16 at the time, I even remember Dennis T making a big deal out of Ken getting on the shot, and then back up to deal with a bit of fluff on the top of the side cushion. He was playing well enough, coming back and looked set to shift momentum and go on and win the 2003 world final. Missed, and MJW never looked back. Ive actually seen him miss a 147 on the blue in person too!

Still - given us plenty to cheer. All be forgotten soon.

Well, a lot there.

Firstly, Ken Doherty is a World Champion, let's not forget that. He beat Hendry when he was at his height.

Secondly, Ken has been around a long time relatively speaking. The longer you play the more mistakes you rack up. Nobody is perfect.

I was watching live when he missed his 147 break, and I fell off my seat in shock when he missed the black. In one way it's the one of the most memorable 147's not.

Lastly, if you could describe Ken as a second tier all time top player, he is the best in that regard imo. Other World champ's of his ability would be Bingham, Dott, Taylor. But I'd rather watch Ken a million times over any of those other players.

And lets not forget, Jimmy White is one of the all time best snooker players imo, despite he never won the world champs. His winning CV doesn't reflect how good he is, and we all know of his lack of dedication to the sport in his era.

Yes, Ken did bottle it, he would agree with that I'm sure. But I don't think Ken would have lost if was playing anyone else but Jimmy.

This fella recreates shots of the World Championship 2020

Shot of the champs for me always has to do with context, i.e the score and the pressure at the time.

That long red by Ronnie to screw over to the black was a brilliant shot in itself, but he wasn't under much pressure to play that at the time. All the top players have the ability to play that shot.

I shudder to think how pro's can pot in practice, when the pressure is off, but Ronnie is one of the only players who seems to be able to play shots you'd only play in practice but do it in matchplay. Trump too to be fair, but sometimes he goes overboard in that regard.

My shot of the champs is still Ronnie's long red to the green pocket where he made a total clearance from it and started his mini comeback to win. It wasn't technically as difficult as the Top Ten, but in context, I though it was awesome.

That's why McGill's long red with position on the black is the shot of the championship for me. It was also a pressure pot at an important stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Both of these shots in a row are surely the best shots of the tournament

https://youtu.be/IIo8S7W9YQI?t=2536

Both of these shots in a row are surely the best shots of the tournament

https://youtu.be/IIo8S7W9YQI?t=2536

Out of those I'd give it to Ronnie as the Selby shot was 'there' to play as perfectly executed as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I don't know if I'd put it as shot of the tournament but McGill's long blue against Lisowski would be one of my favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Rothko wrote: »
    I don't know if I'd put it as shot of the tournament but McGill's long blue against Lisowski would be one of my favourites.
    Agreed. One of the highlights of the tournament. The pressure he must have been under. It was pretty much game over for him had he missed. It was pretty tricky too. The couple of wobbles before it went only added to the tension.

https://twitter.com/WeAreWST/status/1300908791274172417

Golly. This is a surprise. I wonder if he's gotten over the yips finally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭StevenToast

AllForIt wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/WeAreWST/status/1300908791274172417

Golly. This is a surprise. I wonder if he's gotten over the yips finally.

He agrees with Ronnie and thinks most of the young talent are numpties...

Backs himself to still do a job....a 50% prime hendry would beat alot of the current crop

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

He's been doing some sessions with Steve Feeney and Sightright and has been putting in the hours. He obviously fancies his chances. I wouldn't bet against him regaining some serious form.

He agrees with Ronnie and thinks most of the young talent are numpties...

Backs himself to still do a job....a 50% prime hendry would beat alot of the current crop

I think seeing Ronnie, Williams, Higgins, still performing in the latter stages of the top events at their age, indeed winning them, may have played a part in his decision, whatever about the younger players standard being relatively poor.

He played well in the Seniors I thought, but it wasn't the Hendry I remember. He was a bit on the slow side and he still missed some balls by a mile but both those could be down to lack of match play and consistent practice.

Dante7 wrote: »
    He's been doing some sessions with Steve Feeney and Sightright and has been putting in the hours. He obviously fancies his chances. I wouldn't bet against him regaining some serious form.

Personally I think he'll get smashed. Would like to see him do well though and a fun story for the next two years for sure.

Dante7 wrote: »

As I said on the Seniors thread I'm fascinated that his lack of performance issue was ever due to his sighting of the balls.

I think it's more a psychological issue and simply concentrating on your technique takes you thoughts away from what they were thinking about, so it helps him that way.

Never go back

Never go back

I tend to agree. He might just end up torturing himself if it doesn't go well.

Personally I think he'll get smashed. Would like to see him do well though and a fun story for the next two years for sure.

I fear this might happen too, which would be a great shame to see happen such a great player, while he played well in patches at the seniors, he certainly wasn't up to the required standard to go back on the main circuit. Hope I'm wrong and he does himself justice.

Ronnie is right. The current group are rubbish!

If some younger players don't start coming through then Snooker could be in the doldrums for a while.
    There's next to no younger player of 21/22 coming through to take up the mantle.

Trump was the last player with the x factor to come through and he made a world final 9 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,164 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Hendry was knocked out of the Seniors by Jimmy White who is ranked 111th in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

loyatemu wrote: »
    Hendry was knocked out of the Seniors by Jimmy White who is ranked 111th in the world.

Very interesting to see him back though.
    Jimmy wins the odd match here and there on the pro tour despite pretty much going to bits still when the pressure is on. Jimmy played well in seniors event.
    I dont see Hendry being successful but he could certainly win some matches if he gets half decent form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The loss to Jimmy, and Ronnie’s comments, obviously pushed sore losing Hendry over the edge..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I'd love to see him beat Ali Carter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ronnie is right. The current group are rubbish!

If some younger players don't start coming through then Snooker could be in the doldrums for a while.
    There's next to no younger player of 21/22 coming through to take up the mantle.

Trump was the last player with the x factor to come through and he made a world final 9 years ago.

The only young player of any note is Liang Wenbo. The game is in serious trouble

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

The Nal wrote: »

I love to see anybody beat Ali carter !

The Nal wrote: »

In a game of snooker or?

Brian? wrote: »
    The only young player of any note is Liang Wenbo. The game is in serious trouble

33 couldn't be considered young! He's also not very good imo.

Bingtao probably the brightest.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I tend to agree. He might just end up torturing himself if it doesn't go well.
    I fear this might happen too, which would be a great shame to see happen such a great player, while he played well in patches at the seniors, he certainly wasn't up to the required standard to go back on the main circuit. Hope I'm wrong and he does himself justice.

I think Hendry will get annoyed he is such a perfectionist any drop in standard frustrates him. Will never have the attitude Davis had when he got older give it a go and see what happens. Davis did not put himself under pressure to do well as his snooker powers waned.
    I would like to be proved wrong as well - but I think this comeback will be shortlived.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Yang Bingtao. Sorry. I had a complete brain fart.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement