Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭combat14

Bobtheman wrote: »
    So bottom line what protections are teachers getting,? Adults

havent heard any specifics yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

combat14 wrote: »
    havent heard any specifics yet

Max of 24 students in the room with me and a visor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

And an SNA or two.

And an SNA or two.

Almost never in Music. Although we were team teaching in maths last year, not sure how that works this year....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Almost never in Music. Although we were team teaching in maths last year, not sure how that works this year....

Yea we have no team teaching this year, big loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Why would that be? There are two SNAs in our first year class. Are SEN/AEN students not allowed to study music?

Why would that be? There are two SNAs in our first year class. Are SEN/AEN students not allowed to study music?

They are rarely deemed necessary in my room. Although that’s really just the way it’s fallen in terms of subjects chosen etc

Had one of the inspector ladies in with me two years ago and she said SNA not needed for example

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Paulbeth

“... anyone who was fragile, at risk, immuno-compromised and was at risk of dying has already died.”

No, thankfully, they haven’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

This isn't happening, not in our place and in many others I'd bet. We have a couple of first year groups with 30+ in them. And overflow ain't happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Could anyone direct me to an up to date version of the guidelines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Could anyone direct me to an up to date version of the guidelines?

Considering Minister Foley seems to have disappeared, good luck on up-to-date anything.

Can I repeat that visors alone are not remotely safe , you need a mask and a visor in class .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

km79 wrote: »

Restrictions that will not include delaying the opeing of schools

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

khalessi wrote: »

Suppose we'll find out Friday afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭scrubs33

khalessi wrote: »

I agree 100%. Too much political stock will be lost if there’s even a hint of changing the plan to open in 10 days time (in our case at least) To butcher an old phrase ‘Open and be damned!!” Buckle in everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

We've been told we're going to be using Gsuite instead of students handing up copies. Anyone any experience of this platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Visor is pretty much not worth a ****e, and particularly if students are not wearing masks. Teachers really need to step up here. We should not be setting foot in a class where students are not wearing masks, nor should visors be pushed as a solution for teachers when they clearly are not

km79 wrote: »

The rumour is the old to be encouraged to spend less time outdoors, and a max of 6 people visiting your house. But it will be fine to open schools with hundreds of people inside!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pursefan

Visor is pretty much not worth a ****e, and particularly if students are not wearing masks. Teachers really need to step up here. We should not be setting foot in a class where students are not wearing masks, nor should visors be pushed as a solution for teachers when they clearly are not
    Our leader is declaring that our pupils will have to wear masks if on the corridors, but not in classrooms!! How do we deal with thus madness??

Pursefan wrote: »
    Our leader is declaring that our pupils will have to wear masks if on the corridors, but not in classrooms!! How do we deal with thus madness??

hearing same thing here .. sounds like 2m distancing in classroom so up to teacher if they want to wear a mask or visor sounds like it is optional for students too ..

recommended to wear to masks/ visors only in corridors ..

• Advertisement

hearing same thing here .. sounds like 2m distancing in classroom so up to teacher if they want to wear a mask or visor sounds like it is optional for students too ..

recommended to wear to masks/ visors only in corridors ..

Really doesn't sit comfortable with me at all. It doesn't matter if we wear masks, if we have 24 adolescents in front of us with no masks then we are very much at risk. What is the difficulty with saying to secondary students that you must wear masks to protect all? What's the issue with it?

Really doesn't sit comfortable with me at all. It doesn't matter if we wear masks, if we have 24 adolescents in front of us with no masks then we are very much at risk. What is the difficulty with saying to secondary students that you must wear masks to protect all? What's the issue with it?

I actually thought it was going to be compulsory.. now sounds like it is only in corridors .. but they are in class in close proximity all day long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I actually thought it was going to be compulsory.. now sounds like it is only in corridors .. but they are in class in close proximity all day long

"Students at post primary level, apart from specific exemptions will be required to wear face coverings in the classroom."

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2020-press-releases/PR20-08-07.html

They must be worn in classrooms. Are schools ignoring the guidelines? There's no "where possible" get out clause for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Off topic but just saw Ciara Kelly retweeting she feels sorry for leaving cert students for not experiencing the post exam buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    We've been told we're going to be using Gsuite instead of students handing up copies. Anyone any experience of this platform?

Yes we used Google Classroom this year during lock down. Its very user friendly.
    Its not ideal for correcting homework though if students are uploading homework as photos. You can only add comment boxes on the homework rather than annotate over the students work. If you have a tablet and pen its obviously a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

alroley wrote: »
    Off topic but just saw Ciara Kelly retweeting she feels sorry for leaving cert students for not experiencing the post exam buzz.

The woman is a professional troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pursefan

"Students at post primary level, apart from specific exemptions will be required to wear face coverings in the classroom."

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2020-press-releases/PR20-08-07.html

They must be worn in classrooms. Are schools ignoring the guidelines? There's no "where possible" get out clause for this one.[/quote
    This is absolutely the point! Students ARE REQUIRED to wear masks in class!! What are principals thinking?? Are we that disposable??

They must be worn in classrooms. Are schools ignoring the guidelines? There's no "where possible" get out clause for this one.[/quote
    This is absolutely the point! Students ARE REQUIRED to wear masks in class!! What are principals thinking?? Are we that disposable??

is it not ok to have 15 - 25+ people (all from different households) In a small room all hopefully 2m apart with no masks or visors for a few hours or all day as long as they then wear masks or visors in the corridor for the 15 minute break ?

well that seems to be what principals are proposing? .. maybe they are correct?

we need to know schools are back in less than 2 weeks

is it not ok to have 15 - 25+ people (all from different households) In a small room all hopefully 2m apart with no masks or visors for a few hours or all day as long as they then wear masks or visors in the corridor for the 15 minute break ?

well that seems to be what principals are proposing? .. maybe they are correct?

we need to know schools are back in less than 2 weeks
    our 166 tds are happy to sit in a 2000 seater convention centre safe and sound are we not entitled to expect the same for our children

Principals who are not enforcing masks should never be forgiven. This is too important an issue for us to let this go. Our unions not pushing this should be utterly ashamed. I hope many will consider the value of having your membership after this. It appears they are not serving out wishes at a time when we have never needed them more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Principals who are not enforcing masks should never be forgiven. This is too important an issue for us to let this go. Our unions not pushing this should be utterly ashamed. I hope many will consider the value of having your membership after this. It appears they are not serving out wishes at a time when we have never needed them more

But, if it is a strong recommendation from government, opposed to a mandate, realistically what can a principal do if there is a child who refuses?

I'm genuinely asking. My principal has said that he has already had emails from parents telling him that under no circumstances will their child be wearing a mask or a visor. He doesn't seem to be of the belief that he has the right to refuse them entry to the school because it is not a mandate from the govt.

Advertisement