Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Well, when what coloured socks a pupil must wear is enforceable I don't see why masks/visors can't be enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    But, if it is a strong recommendation from government, opposed to a mandate, realistically what can a principal do if there is a child who refuses?

I'm genuinely asking. My principal has said that he has already had emails from parents telling him that under no circumstances will their child be wearing a mask or a visor. He doesn't seem to be of the belief that he has the right to refuse them entry to the school because it is not a mandate from the govt.

Similar to the self quarantine nonsense. Cannot be enforced. If we have children abroad within 14 days we cannot refuse them or even advise them to stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

What's going to happen schools with the new restrictions in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Fire ahead people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

alroley wrote: »
    Off topic but just saw Ciara Kelly retweeting she feels sorry for leaving cert students for not experiencing the post exam buzz.

She probably blames the teachers and the unions for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Not even mentioned.
    Avoid public transport....unless it's school buses
    Work from home is encouraged....unless you are a teacher
    Indoor venues to have no more than 6 people....but schools plough on ahead.

Even outdoor gatherings limited to 15, but schools will be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Treppen wrote: »
    She probably blames the teachers and the unions for that.

Maybe ye could get in your cars and do a drive by parade when they get results:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Zara king asked it. First time I heard Ronan stumble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Zara king asked it. First time I heard Ronan stumble

He clearly didn't believe what he was saying. There is no way he could stand behind it from a health and safety point of view.

He later said that in summer camps it should be limited to 15 kids and they shouldn't be mixing with anyone else. What happens next week in schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

Are all schools using base classrooms for the students?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

doc_17 wrote: »
    Are all schools using base classrooms for the students?

Mine is, but a lot are not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Max of 24 students in the room with me and a visor
    A visor alone is NOT safe. I've done a lot of reading around this, please use a mask as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

combat14 wrote: »

Principals who are not enforcing masks should never be forgiven. This is too important an issue for us to let this go. Our unions not pushing this should be utterly ashamed. I hope many will consider the value of having your membership after this. It appears they are not serving out wishes at a time when we have never needed them more
    I'd do further than " not forgiven," I'd be telling that principal that they would be legally liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I'd do further than " not forgiven," I'd be telling that principal that they would be legally liable.

They are, as they legally have to provide a safe workplace and visors as have been shown in a number of places do not block infection, if they did HCW would wear them without masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Not even mentioned.
    Avoid public transport....unless it's school buses
    Work from home is encouraged....unless you are a teacher
    Indoor venues to have no more than 6 people....but schools plough on ahead.

Even outdoor gatherings limited to 15, but schools will be grand

Sure arent kids immune and teachers expendble! They can get more graduates cheaper:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

alroley wrote: »
    He clearly didn't believe what he was saying. There is no way he could stand behind it from a health and safety point of view.

He later said that in summer camps it should be limited to 15 kids and they shouldn't be mixing with anyone else. What happens next week in schools?

Presumably he and the rest of the NPHET crew have advised the government that what is being proposed for schools is crazy, and they've been told 'Shhhhh, we are reopening the economy fully, don't mind your nonsense about covid in schools. Just pretend the rules don't apply there.'

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Avenge my death! Gallows humour . It's all I have left now. That and the coffee. Oh hang on they took that from me too !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Presumably he and the rest of the NPHET crew have advised the government that what is being proposed for schools is crazy, and they've been told 'Shhhhh, we are reopening the economy fully, don't mind your nonsense about covid in schools. Just pretend the rules don't apply there.'

I think everyone knows what is coming with the schools. The problem is if they don’t open now they won’t open for the rest of the year as nothing is going to change that much. Worse than that, they probably won’t be able to open until September 2021 at least.

So, at some stage a gamble will just have to be taken and if a gamble is taken it is better to take it as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

A visor alone is NOT safe. I've done a lot of reading around this, please use a mask as well.

Oh I will be. But the students are all being given visors. Which does **** all to protect me. I’m in the high risk group with asthma. Albeit well controlled

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Feeling particularly anxious now. Living with elderly parents late 70s and 82... have looked for alternative accommodation but no one wants to share with someone working in education.

Thankfully they’re not too concerned but I am feeling the pressure myself. Concentrating on school work will be least of my worries I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Onshuh

jackboy wrote:
    I think everyone knows what is coming with the schools. The problem is if they don’t open now they won’t open for the rest of the year as nothing is going to change that much. Worse than that, they probably won’t be able to open until September 2021 at least.

The problem isn't the reopening. It's the plan for reopening. Why not do half in school, half online? The plan is just continue with normal numbers and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭amacca

Teach30 wrote: »
    Feeling particularly anxious now. Living with elderly parents late 70s and 82... have looked for alternative accommodation but no one wants to share with someone working in education.

Thankfully they’re not too concerned but I am feeling the pressure myself. Concentrating on school work will be least of my worries I think.

Not that its much of a help but i feel for you. Not a nice situation to be in. Best of luck and hope you work something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

jackboy wrote: »

So, at some stage a gamble will just have to be taken and if a gamble is taken it is better to take it as soon as possible.

I think schools really need to open, I have no problem with that, what I do have a problem with is the manner in which this is happening. Every student should be in school...but only every second day to allow for proper social distancing !!

Onshuh wrote: »
    The problem isn't the reopening. It's the plan for reopening. Why not do half in school, half online? The plan is just continue with normal numbers and hope for the best.

That would be better than nothing but still extremely disruptive to the economy. Children have to get back to school so parents can get back to work. I know with the country awash with free money it can feel like we will be grand carrying on like this but we are heading for economic catastrophe.

The schools should have been given a plan and support but it is too late now to start working on that if we want to open in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Teach30 wrote: »

You’ll be working from home before long don’t worry.

jackboy wrote:
    That would be better than nothing but still extremely disruptive to the economy. Children have to get back to school so parents can get back to work. I know with the country awash with free money it can feel like we will be grand carrying on like this but we are heading for economic catastrophe.

How would it be disruptive to the economy? Parents don't have to be at home babysitting secondary school students when they're doing online learning. And opening schools isn't going to stop the economic disaster. If anything, the current plan could be economically more disastrous in the long term.

How would it be disruptive to the economy? Parents don't have to be at home babysitting secondary school students when they're doing online learning. And opening schools isn't going to stop the economic disaster. If anything, the current plan could be economically more disastrous in the long term.

I meant primary schools. Yes, I agree secondary school students should be able to stay at home and do online learning.

Opening the primary schools is critical for the economy though.

jackboy wrote:
    I meant primary schools. Yes, I agree secondary school students should be able to stay at home and do online learning.

We're talking about post primary here.

We're talking about post primary here.

You are correct, I missed the ‘post’.

Yes, I agree that 50% attendance at secondary schools is a good simple solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

jackboy wrote: »
    You are correct, I missed the ‘post’.

Yes, I agree that 50% attendance at secondary schools is a good simple solution.

That's what should have been suggested at the start of July. If things had improved and our cases were low, then we could have upped that number. Instead Martin has put everything on a full opening, which will undoubtedly be against advice of NPHET. He is willing to risk all our health rather than back down from a suggestion that was never relaisitic. We have tablets for students so blended learning would work well, but the option hasn't even been given to us

Advertisement