Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

amacca wrote: »
    If the AT is gone does that mean the CBA its based on is also gone?

Or are CBAs still to be completed

1 CBA which some subjects wud have done already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

There doesn’t seem to be any choice added to the junior cycle exams, or is it just my subjects?

There doesn’t seem to be any choice added to the junior cycle exams, or is it just my subjects?

Papers I've glanced at look the same but the AT gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

They cant possibly dumb them down any further !!!!

I have finally started thinking about the actual return to the classroom now.
    Can anyone recommend some good quality reusable face masks? I looked on O neills but they are elasticated so can not see them lasting.
    Not looking forward to wearing them and glasses!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

Couple of changes might be needed. The JC Irish part didn't mention the AT being gone even though it intended to I think

Is Irish the only subject that has to complete the AT as per the document? I wonder is it because Irish has no CBA done yet and is to do the one directly linked to the AT whereas other subjects have likely completed CBA 1 that is not linked?

• Advertisement

LW2018 wrote: »
    Is Irish the only subject that has to complete the AT as per the document? I wonder is it because Irish has no CBA done yet and is to do the one directly linked to the AT whereas other subjects have likely completed CBA 1 that is not linked?

Maybe, it wasn't clear from document. It wasn't mentioned in the change column at all

Maybe, it wasn't clear from document. It wasn't mentioned in the change column at all

Just found the document again - none of the MFL ones have to complete it so I would imagine that it was an omission. Likely to be just the MRB and the paper - with straight forward topics one would think

Just found the document again - none of the MFL ones have to complete it so I would imagine that it was an omission. Likely to be just the MRB and the paper - with straight forward topics one would think

Most subjects seem to be 1CBA/MRB, no AT/TM and no changes to paper but hopefully a decent paper for each subject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

No choice in Business Studies other than no assessment task.

Very disappointed with the LC accounting "changes". :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I presume the logic is that by dropping a CBA you won't be faffing about with a project for three weeks and a slar and can get on with the teaching end of things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The LC Maths changes seem pointless. What am I missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

The LC Maths changes seem pointless. What am I missing?
    The students don’t have to answer everything now, so if they’ve missed a section, they might not lose any marks.
    Seems straightforward enough, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Used to be 6 x 25 marks in section A for 150, now it's answer 5/6 for 30x5

Section B 4 questions worth 50, answer 3

As a HL maths teachers it certainly takes the pressure off. I'm not too far off my scheme but I'd have been trying to cover more difficult parts first in case of another shut down, I'd have had to if they had to answer every question. I'm happy with it anyway, fair and straightforward for the kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I'm in an absolutely foul temper tonight. Still in Lockdown. Cannot get to visit my parents and the inlaws one last time before we open and massively increase the risk. But my area has had one case since june. ONE. And to top it all off I go back to school while STILL locked down. The mind boggles. I want to go punch a punchbag... oh wait I can't. My gym classes can't happen because we're still bloody locked down.

Ahem. I am going for a walk. And then I'm having a glass of Gin. Maybe more.....

I hear you. I'm still locked down too.

This year has seriously been the biggest write off

RealJohn wrote: »
    The students don’t have to answer everything now, so if they’ve missed a section, they might not lose any marks.
    Seems straightforward enough, to be honest.

But there's absolutely no guarantee to which topics show up. It's a lucky dip of topics. Some could show up in 5 questions, some might be ignored completely. Questions usually require a combination of multiple topics to solve. I see no way that any section could be left out or even skimmed.

Financial maths could be left out, it doesn't always even come up. I'd say you could leave out theorems etc too.

Financial maths could be left out, it doesn't always even come up. I'd say you could leave out theorems etc too.

Taking a chance though. Theorems probably the one to go for, lots leave them out already! I think the changes are extremely disappointing tbh. Those who were most affected by problems engaging in online teaching for whatever reason will have to take the biggest risk now compared to those who were able to carry on, so they are further disadvantaged.

I found my higher level maths guys were very engaged and really did their best to keep up with classwork. It's a hard subject to get by in without already being somewhat motivated. It'll be tight to finish the course but I'm glad we know the concession. There is often one or two bits a kid doesn't get, or has to work really hard at so it gives the option to cut that. The long questions will be similar to normal I'd assume too, it's somewhat predictable topic wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Really lazy system to simply weight exam score in LCA papers to 1.15.

What about the bell curve I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Newbie20

I'm in an absolutely foul temper tonight. Still in Lockdown. Cannot get to visit my parents and the inlaws one last time before we open and massively increase the risk. But my area has had one case since june. ONE. And to top it all off I go back to school while STILL locked down. The mind boggles. I want to go punch a punchbag... oh wait I can't. My gym classes can't happen because we're still bloody locked down.

Ahem. I am going for a walk. And then I'm having a glass of Gin. Maybe more.....

Off topic slightly here but to be honest Mirror I think you’d be mad not to visit your parents provided they would be ok with it. There doesn’t seem to be any checkpoints really from what I can see and there probably will be even less so after the Clifden debacle. A government minister sure wouldn’t obey it anyway. Up to yourself but I think you’d be better going now when you know you’re probably safe out as opposed to a few weeks time when the lockdown could be lifted but you might be worried about having been in school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Newbie20 wrote: »
    Off topic slightly here but to be honest Mirror I think you’d be mad not to visit your parents provided they would be ok with it. There doesn’t seem to be any checkpoints really from what I can see and there probably will be even less so after the Clifden debacle. A government minister sure wouldn’t obey it anyway. Up to yourself but I think you’d be better going now when you know you’re probably safe out as opposed to a few weeks time when the lockdown could be lifted but you might be worried about having been in school.

Thanks folks. I would. Husband won’t. And considering it’s not allowed compromise was not going. However we have booked a hotel at home for over Christmas so that even if we have to socially distance from them we’ll be down which made me feel better. It’s the 3hr journey that makes socially distanced visiting so awkward

Document updated and AT won't be examined for Irish. Do one CBA and that's it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Let's hope that will be the last we hear of Assessment Tasks.

Document updated and AT won't be examined for Irish. Do one CBA and that's it

That’s great. Thanks for letting me know. It will be great to get that CBA out of the way fast... gonna get them to choose something that helps for their revision of topics and record and go. Won’t bother starting it until November time I think. Starting back with the novel and a poem (linked to some BS aonad foghlama of course!!)

That’s great. Thanks for letting me know. It will be great to get that CBA out of the way fast... gonna get them to choose something that helps for their revision of topics and record and go. Won’t bother starting it until November time I think. Starting back with the novel and a poem (linked to some BS aonad foghlama of course!!)

As fast as you can I'd say on the CBA :) They're a waste of time :)

We're not really supposed to give "exceptional" so a few "above" and most "in line" - job done

Or os cionn, ag teacht le srl

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭F5500

I wouldn't worry one bit about CBAs this year.

In my own experience they're largely a waste of time, especially for weaker students. There'll be no inspector to be seen for the next 12 months at least. I'll get them out of the way as a box ticking exercise and start catching up on the time that has been lost since March.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

JC Home Economics still has a cookery exam worth 50%. I have no idea how this is going to work out seeing as a number of schools have said no practical cookery classes are to take place in the immediate future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

JC Home Economics still has a cookery exam worth 50%. I have no idea how this is going to work out seeing as a number of schools have said no practical cookery classes are to take place in the immediate future.

I think if it goes on for longer than 2 months they'll revisit.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭roxychix

Just looking for some advice. I fall into the high risk category not the very high risk category so I will be doing my best to avoid catching covid. I am just wondering what others are doing to prevent contamination between home and school like with clothes shoes laptops etc.

The fear is impaliable and must avoid family and friends until at least Christmas to ensure they're safety and mine. I want to go back to school and I miss the joy the job brings. But with lack of clarity from my school and the fear of getting covid is just horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Anyone else going got a sneaking suspicion this could all stop last minute.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Advertisement