Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Is it just the screen that's being recorded and your voice? Do you think it will encourage non attendence?

Jesus, no school bus at this stage is a nightmare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Is it just the screen that's being recorded and your voice? Do you think it will encourage non attendence?

Jesus, no school bus at this stage is a nightmare!

Screen and voice. Option to lash on the video but yeah don't fancy it. Encourage non attendance, nah, it's only to be done if someone in your class says they're covid absent, which means a couple of days, not just out for the morning. Also, according to this thread and others, parents and students are only dying to be back apparently?!?!

There are clearly flaws and it's not ideal, but it's too get colleagues used to it for if and when we are out again and we can just seamlessly switch to live classes full time. We are trying, can't blame us for not like. But we will see how it goes.

Fair enough, we are setting homework only through Teams to try and get used to online too. It's so hard to know what the right line is! It sounds similar to what I was doing during lockdown, screen and voice or even whiteboard and voice, I think it the best option. Your not visible but it's close to a classroom feel

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

Smacruairi wrote: »
    We are live streaming our classes for students who might be at home for covid. This is to kinda train up staff for any closures in the future.

I thought this wasn't allowed - as clarified in our school with the JMB due to GDPR? If another student asks a question or speaks etc. they haven't given permission for that to be broadcast to a household / different households? We hadn't expected that this would be a ruling - might be worth checking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Screen and voice. Option to lash on the video but yeah don't fancy it. Encourage non attendance, nah, it's only to be done if someone in your class says they're covid absent, which means a couple of days, not just out for the morning. Also, according to this thread and others, parents and students are only dying to be back apparently?!?!

There are clearly flaws and it's not ideal, but it's too get colleagues used to it for if and when we are out again and we can just seamlessly switch to live classes full time. We are trying, can't blame us for not like. But we will see how it goes.

It sounds really interesting. I think we're going to be live streaming too in the next few weeks in the event of school closures later on. I may PM you for more details in a week or two.

• Advertisement

LW2018 wrote: »
    I thought this wasn't allowed - as clarified in our school with the JMB due to GDPR? If another student asks a question or speaks etc. they haven't given permission for that to be broadcast to a household / different households? We hadn't expected that this would be a ruling - might be worth checking it out.

GDPR is about data processing and storage, particularly with identifiers. A muddied and muffled student voice over a stream going to a place you know of wouldn't be considered a breach. May need to add something to the acceptable use policy if you want to be really finicky but on thr whole you're OK. GDPR isn't black and white, it's about taking as many actions as you can to mitigate risk of sensitive info getting out. Literally can't think of any reason why a garbled question from an anonymous voice would be in breach,and it wouldn't hold up in court.. Imo! But I'm not a legal expert, just have worked with policies a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

We've been told Teams or nothing by our ETB.

Anyone who's been successfully using an online platform to support learning over the last few years has to stop.

Love Ireland

GDPR is about data processing and storage, particularly with identifiers. A muddied and muffled student voice over a stream going to a place you know of wouldn't be considered a breach. May need to add something to the acceptable use policy if you want to be really finicky but on thr whole you're OK. GDPR isn't black and white, it's about taking as many actions as you can to mitigate risk of sensitive info getting out. Literally can't think of any reason why a garbled question from an anonymous voice would be in breach,and it wouldn't hold up in court.. Imo! But I'm not a legal expert, just have worked with policies a few times.

I also wasn't expecting this to be an issue and neither was the DP but this is what was emailed back from the JMB and shared with us at today's staff meeting.

Also... Just wondering if anybody has a link to the new guidelines, issued today regarding to a suspected case of Covid in the school. Trying to find it but timetabling free rooms all day in school has fried my brain :(

• Advertisement

LW2018 wrote: »
    I also wasn't expecting this to be an issue and neither was the DP but this is what was emailed back from the JMB and shared with us at today's staff meeting.

Sounds like an itchy finger in the jmb from a pencil pusher as opposed to someone actually in the know. Sure you had etbs at one stage banning homework being taken out of the building for GDPR. It's the new health and safety. I'm all for doing things right, but the spirit of GDPR is quite clear in its implementation.

Sure the teaching Council lost a list of pps numbers there a while back.

Anyone who's been successfully using an online platform to support learning over the last few years has to stop.

Love Ireland

To be fair on this one, whatever company your school had a contract with, will guarantee data securities etc. So if its a Google school, use classroom, Microsoft, use teams. Your school wouldn't have a service agreement taking responsibility for data security etc otherwise. This bit of legalese I'd suoport purely and simply because it ensures consistency amongst all staff in a school, it's chaos if one teacher uses classroom, one uses zoom, one uses teams.

I thought we all decided that covid put an end to all the GDPR nonsense and we could go back to just using basic common sense and the kids best interests to decide fairly obvious situations.

It was allowed to become a hindrance rather than a sensible check in a digital world

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

In what way?

All classes set up alongside Microsoft Teams, students to download ebooks, new programs to submit online work. And More ICT training for staff. New online procedures, policies, AUP, etc

All Eyes On Rafah

To be fair on this one, whatever company your school had a contract with, will guarantee data securities etc. So if its a Google school, use classroom, Microsoft, use teams. Your school wouldn't have a service agreement taking responsibility for data security etc otherwise. This bit of legalese I'd suoport purely and simply because it ensures consistency amongst all staff in a school, it's chaos if one teacher uses classroom, one uses zoom, one uses teams.

It's not really if you've been using edmodo or whatever with groups for a couple of years and they're used to it.

Data security not really an issue for platforms that simply host notes. No student data at all.

It's not really if you've been using edmodo or whatever with groups for a couple of years and they're used to it.

Data security not really an issue for platforms that simply host notes. No student data at all.

Ah yeah for notes etc yeah fine. Just from a management pov I'd prefer if everyone used the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Love Ireland

Ridiculous. The geniuses in my school decided that instead of giving us a fixed sum to go towards a laptop every 4 or so years that they'd remove that choice and impose the Apple world upon a staff which was far more familiar with Windows by buying each of us an iPad for @ €350. Then, they established... Microsoft Teams as the program for online teaching. Welcome to the "This is not compatible" competitive world of Apple versus Microsoft. Absolutely no technical help available because the problems - e.g. the ability of a student in Teams to let himself back into a class after being removed - are with programs which were not made for schools.

The fact that we also are not trusted to download apps to the iPad and we must go through a private company to request any app - a full 8-day wait for my last issue to be resolved by said private company - does nothing to endear the staff to the school's clusterfúck micromanaging of us all. I resent having to pay my own after-tax money for a work laptop, but for my own sanity that's what I'm going to have to do now.

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Ridiculous. The geniuses in my school decided that instead of giving us a fixed sum to go towards a laptop every 4 or so years that they'd remove that choice and impose the Apple world upon a staff which was far more familiar with Windows by buying each of us an iPad for @ €350. Then, they established... Microsoft Teams as the program for online teaching. Welcome to the "This is not compatible" competitive world of Apple versus Microsoft. Absolutely no technical help available because the problems - e.g. the ability of a student in Teams to let himself back into a class after being removed - are with programs which were not made for schools.

The fact that we also are not trusted to download apps to the iPad and we must go through a private company to request any app - a full 8-day wait for my last issue to be resolved by said private company - does nothing to endear the staff to the school's clusterfúck micromanaging of us all. I resent having to pay my own after-tax money for a work laptop, but for my own sanity that's what I'm going to have to do now.

That's laughable. The Big Brother approach definitely on the rise.

How to say "I can do my job, just p1ss off and leave me at it please", politely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

gaiscioch wrote: »

If it moves to work from home then maybe you can claim relief for the laptop?

You can claim depreciation at the end of the year, around 10%, on your own laptop. It's actually ridiculous that if we are buying a work laptop there isn't even tax relief

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Still cannot understand why a Staff Meeting has to be held "Remotely in School" yet the next day its" pile as many as you can into a room with a teacher"

Is there some disconnect there,is some one minding themself and then feck the rest of ye!

If I was to get the damned Covid, I 'd rather get it on Day 1 rather than wait til Day 2 but obviously others are different!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I was sent a link for a certain ETB's Return to Work course and Return to Work form, although I'm not actually returning at all. The course is totally out of date with a HSE video from early March, with out of date information on masks. It hardly inspires confidence! The form asks employees to declare whether they or a household member are very high risk. No arrangements are being made to protect those with very high risk households members, so why bother asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I was sent a link for a certain ETB's Return to Work course and Return to Work form, although I'm not actually returning at all. The course is totally out of date with a HSE video from early March, with out of date information on masks. It hardly inspires confidence! The form asks employees to declare whether they or a household member are very high risk. No arrangements are being made to protect those with very high risk households members, so why bother asking?

I'm in a catholic ethos primary school and everyone, regardless of whether they are coming back or not has to watch that video and fill in the form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm in a catholic ethos primary school and everyone, regardless of whether they are coming back or not has to watch that video and fill in the form.

I'm no longer employed by them, they just haven't removed me from their email list. I don't have to watch any video or fill any form, I'm just interested in how this shambolic organisation is handling things. My point was that their course is dangerously outdated. This is not the DES video, it's a separate ETB designed online course. And I wonder why they collect information on household members if it's not considered when making arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

ethical wrote: »
    Still cannot understand why a Staff Meeting has to be held "Remotely in School" yet the next day its" pile as many as you can into a room with a teacher"

Is there some disconnect there,is some one minding themself and then feck the rest of ye!

If I was to get the damned Covid, I 'd rather get it on Day 1 rather than wait til Day 2 but obviously others are different!

If you have to go in to have a remote meeting from the school just put up a fake background of the classroom and stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

What’s happening with screens on teachers desks? We’ve been asked to provide doctors letters if we want them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭amacca

Icsics wrote: »
    What’s happening with screens on teachers desks? We’ve been asked to provide doctors letters if we want them!

:confused: so did they tell you what level of illness you have to be certified with to get the perspex

Its hardly

John wants a perspex screen

Signed,
    John's Doctor.:D

Ahhhhh FFS.

Does the principal have one on their desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

I thought they were standard to be honest so it came as a surprise when we were told that consultant letters would be required! Not sure what the P has, she hasn’t been around much

• Advertisement

I thought they were standard to be honest so it came as a surprise when we were told that consultant letters would be required! Not sure what the P has, she hasn’t been around much

I'm primary and every staff member has three sided perspex on their desk. Bad form. Money is available for this stuff.

Advertisement