Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

, That's very fair. For me, they're a chance to press the flesh and to praise the ones for doing the habitual things that keep them on track for life. If I'm only flagging a problem student at a ptm, then that's not really good enough to be honest.

Parents will have to make do with the usual reports, maybe a little more in depth than normal. Secondary schools can't work a zoom/live ptm, it just wouldn't work. Trust in the professionalism of 95% of the staff is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

km79 wrote: »
    I find PTMS a pure and utter waste of time for the most part too. The minority that need to be met with are the parents who won’t turn up
    I agree completely, but that’s not new this year. Maybe we should start with a preliminary “your kid’s doing fine, so unless you have something you want to discuss, don’t come in” list, and then only invite the ones who either still want to come, or don’t make the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

RealJohn wrote: »
    I agree completely, but that’s not new this year. Maybe we should start with a preliminary “your kid’s doing fine, so unless you have something you want to discuss, don’t come in” list, and then only invite the ones who either still want to come, or don’t make the list?

In my school telling them their kid is fine and no need to come in usually makes them think some other kid is getting extra attention.
    They'll find a reason to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

RealJohn wrote: »

We should. Online. Book your slot.
    Them continue that practice going forward for in person PTMs.

Having PTMs in person this year goes against everything we have been doing over the last few weeks/months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We had a brilliant system in a private school I worked in years ago. Five minute slots per parent, bell rang every five minutes on the button usually by the vice principal. Next parent practically pushed the previous one out of their seat. It moved so smoothly. Principal made the point every time if this takes more than 5 minutes its not an appropriate discussion for a parent teaching meeting. I could not believe how much harder and messier it was when I started moving schools. You didn't get assigned a time unless you applied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

How are schools managing the cleaning of desks when a class leaves? We are spraying the desks / chairs & passing out paper towels. It doesn’t seem right to me, just wondering about alternative stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

I find it difficult to believe anyone finds post primary PTMs worthwhile enough to even attempt them in the current climate!

Some people are addicted to process, especially conspicuous process. My Principal stands in the middle of the hall ticking off the names of parents as they arrive. No doubt he's convinced he's "showing leadership" but in my daughter's school a few TYs do the same job perfectly adequately and you wouldn't be know if the Principal was in the building. For some Principals the PTM will be one of the set-piece occasions by which they measure themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Icsics wrote: »
    How are schools managing the cleaning of desks when a class leaves? We are spraying the desks / chairs & passing out paper towels. It doesn’t seem right to me, just wondering about alternative stuff?

Students have to wipe desk and chair when they enter with a packet of disinfectant wipes. Going through over 100 wipes a day per classroom, completely unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

Students have to wipe desk and chair when they enter with a packet of disinfectant wipes. Going through over 100 wipes a day per classroom, completely unsustainable.

Is the school supplying the wipes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Same for us and yes, the school is supplying the wipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

We're doing the same because wipes are too expensive. It's gonna get very old, very quick. Students will be fed up of cleaning desks 6 or 7 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I read somewhere that it does not transmit well through surfaces. Not sure where though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

We're doing the same because wipes are too expensive. It's gonna get very old, very quick. Students will be fed up of cleaning desks 6 or 7 times a day.

I think many things that are going on at the moment will get very old very quickly indeed. Much of it is unsustainable.

Would make a practical Junior Cert maths question for 2021.

Rainbowtrout gives each of her class a wipe to clean their desk at the end of class. There are on average 24 students in her class. Students move class 6 times a day and there are 35 classrooms in the school all of which are occupied. There are 200 wipes in a box.

(a) How many wipes are used per day?
    (b) How many boxes are needed per day to the nearest box?

At a cost of €10 per box what is the cost of wipes per year when there are 167 days in the school year. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We have paper towels, we pull of a section, spray it with the disinfectant, each student takes a piece to clean their place. Tissue is better than wipes at least

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

We're using wipes too but students are in base classrooms as much as possible so we aren't using a crazy amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Major headache today from visor so I took it off. I’m barely 2 metres from students at top of room.

I’ll Probably will get complained about but I’ll chance it for now. Could barely drive home such was pain.

Will be a long year.

Teach30 wrote: »
    Major headache today from visor so I took it off. I’m barely 2 metres from students at top of room.

I’ll Probably will get complained about but I’ll chance it for now. Could barely drive home such was pain.

Will be a long year.

Does the visor have a band around your head? Maybe try the visors with the glasses built in instead of the band.

https://www.mccabespharmacy.com/face-visor-with-glasses-frame.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwtNf6BRAwEiwAkt6UQoiJ9c1crYwLpQPZeZbEd86z_mV7av-Vt9kO7gCTsUqmMac7QIyS7RoCshYQAvD_BwE

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    Does the visor have a band around your head? Maybe try the visors with the glasses built in instead of the band.

https://www.mccabespharmacy.com/face-visor-with-glasses-frame.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwtNf6BRAwEiwAkt6UQoiJ9c1crYwLpQPZeZbEd86z_mV7av-Vt9kO7gCTsUqmMac7QIyS7RoCshYQAvD_BwE

It’s actually the glasses one I’m wearing but it’s giving me a tension headache behind my ears and across forehead as I find it very close to my eyes. It’s grand for short periods but I find myself moving it a lot to get it comfortable.
    Will investigate alternative designs when I get a chance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

It’s actually the glasses one I’m wearing but it’s giving me a tension headache behind my ears and across forehead as I find it very close to my eyes. It’s grand for short periods but I find myself moving it a lot to get it comfortable.
    Will investigate alternative designs when I get a chance!

I have that provided by school, same thing and had my own with sponge much nicer and easier to wear for long periods

Will be a long year.

If you're just wearing the visor then I wouldn't be too worried about taking it off altogether to be honest. I think they're essentially useless.

If you're just wearing the visor then I wouldn't be too worried about taking it off altogether to be honest. I think they're essentially useless.

I know to be honest it’s just for show. I’m also looking for a mask that fits properly. Any ones I’ve bought and used slip down over my nose as I speak. If I tie them tighter I can’t speak!
    I’ve tried various different designs and sizes but nothing working so far. I keep having to readjust it. I dont mind wearing either but have still to find something suitable and comfortable.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I know to be honest it’s just for show. I’m also looking for a mask that fits properly. Any ones I’ve bought and used slip down over my nose as I speak. If I tie them tighter I can’t speak!
    I’ve tried various different designs and sizes but nothing working so far. I keep having to readjust it. I dont mind wearing either but have still to find something suitable and comfortable.

Any recommendations?
    The slippage the issue. Too tight you can't talk properly, end up too warm, slight headaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Rethread the masks. I have mine with one long elastic. It’s looped through the bottom section and that loop sits around my neck and then I tie the top elastic but tie it right up on the top of my head not around the back. I find the ones around the ear slip and my hearing aid comes off every time I need to change them

Like this https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.sewcanshe.com/blog/elastic-and-tie-solutions-for-your-fabric-face-masks%3fformat=amp

I did also get hold of the little silicone things for in the masks from amazon. They do help but they hurt the bridge of my nose a bit over time

Any recommendations?

There's an Irish seller on Etsy who sells some. They don't budge and are well made. About 10 quid a pop though.

Any recommendations?

Masked.ie masks are very comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Would make a practical Junior Cert maths question for 2021.

Rainbowtrout gives each of her class a wipe to clean their desk at the end of class. There are on average 24 students in her class. Students move class 6 times a day and there are 35 classrooms in the school all of which are occupied. There are 200 wipes in a box.

(a) How many wipes are used per day?
    (b) How many boxes are needed per day to the nearest box?

At a cost of €10 per box what is the cost of wipes per year when there are 167 days in the school year. :pac:

I was actually interested in the answer to this, so I did the maths. Actually tried, so if the maths is wrong it's because I'm thick :pac:

(a) 5040
    (b) 26 (25.2 but you'd need to round up to 26 to have enough I suppose)
    (c) €43,420

:eek::eek: Makes the banning of single-use plastic a bit redundant

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I was actually interested in the answer to this, so I did the maths. Actually tried, so if the maths is wrong it's because I'm thick :pac:

(a) 5040
    (b) 26 (25.2 but you'd need to round up to 26 to have enough I suppose)
    (c) €43,420

H1 in maths to Bananaleaf!!! :D:D:D

It does go to show how unsustainable it is even from a cost point of view.

On another note, yesterday our principal said that the spray bottles we have for cleaning the desks were too expensive and he was going to move to wipes. A pack of 100 for €4.95.

So me being me I did the maths of this in the staff meeting. :D

We have about 450 students (I wasn't even counting staff in this or accounting for extra used). So if students moved 6 times a day to allow for double classes etc, then 450 x 6 = 2700 wipes per day, or 27 packets, at a cost of €133.65 a day. Not financially sustainable.

• Advertisement

Bananaleaf wrote: »

May as well forget Green Schools flags this year.

Advertisement