Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimmable LEDs

Options
  • 29-07-2020 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

I want to fit a dimmable bulb to an aglepoise style lamp mounted on a high shelf.
    I plan to use a 13w dimmable LED bulb.
    I need to be able to have a really bright light for detailed work but then turn it down when using a computer etc.

Would this work with a normal dimmer switch ?
    Would a 13w LED generate much heat to the bulb holder ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Discodog wrote: »
    Would this work with a normal dimmer switch ?

No
    Would a 13w LED generate much heat to the bulb holder ?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

2011 wrote: »
    No

No

I am confused. The dimmers says suitable for LED & the bulb says dimmable.

Am I better off just using a old fashioned high energy bulb ?

LED light bulbs. Dimmable LED light bulbs can be dimmed with a normal resistive dimmer. They consume very low wattages and are extremely energy efficient.

https://www.ledwatcher.com/what-are-light-dimmers-and-which-type-of-light-bulbs-are-dimmable/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Discodog wrote: »
    I am confused. The dimmers says suitable for LED & the bulb says dimmable.

Then it should work (assuming it is rated for 13W or more).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Cordell

The dimmer minimum power is usually the issue, the ones that are not suitable for LEDs will not work properly with loads lower than 40W
    The dimmer is not resistive, it's still a triac based dimmer but designed for LEDs.
    I had some issues with dimmable LEDs even when using them with LED dimmers, they didn't go full power and there was some buzzing and there was that 50Hz flicker that you don't really see but you notice when looking at moving/spinning objects.
    So it may work flawlessly, or there may be some issues, you won't know until you try.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

OSI wrote: »
    Best off getting one of the smart ones that you can control brightness and colour/warmth.

Yes but the ones I have seen don't go that bright. I am trying to make one light do two jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Cordell

Maybe 2 lights will work better? A dim soft warm one for working at the computer and a bright colder one for fine work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I swapped out our "standard dimmers" for one suitable for dimmable LEDs, went with the Varilight V-pros:

https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/v-pro.php

Got them quite cheap from: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/

Advertisement