Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VM Horizon - Dolby Digital Output issues?

• 29-07-2020 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering do other Horizon users lose sound from some HD channels (BBC, Sky, C4, etc) when Dolby is Enabled in Advanced Audio Settings, even if the TV/soundbar supports Dolby?

Had my old Cisco HD box reluctantly replaced yesterday and the lack of a working Dolby feature on the new box is real pain. VM support don't seem to understand either the feature nor the issue. Meantime found this old thread that describes the problem and hopes of a fix... 4 years ago...

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057544514

Hoping I'm just unlucky with the hardware or software version I've received!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

I've had problems with recordings
    Sometimes recordings would have no sound but if I paused it for a few minutes then played it, sometimes sound would then function.
    The horizon box is a disaster and the only piece of Samsung equipment which I've ever had a problem with, yet I think it's virgin media software which is the main issue,
    The Cisco 8685 multi room box is a better unit if you have a smart TV and don't need the horizon for apps
    I've upgrade my Cisco 8685 multi room box to a solid state hard drive it's now completely silent and works well; the menu layout isint glamorous but it Works
    https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/109139-virgin-media-multiroom-cisco-8685-hdd-upgrade-to-sshd-solid-state-harddrive/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

LenWoods wrote: »
    I've had problems with recordings
    Sometimes recordings would have no sound but if I paused it for a few minutes then played it, sometimes sound would then function.
    The horizon box is a disaster and the only piece of Samsung equipment which I've ever had a problem with, yet I think it's virgin media software which is the main issue,
    The Cisco 8685 multi room box is a better unit if you have a smart TV and don't need the horizon for apps
    I've upgrade my Cisco 8685 multi room box to a solid state hard drive it's now completely silent and works well; the menu layout isint glamorous but it Works
    https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/109139-virgin-media-multiroom-cisco-8685-hdd-upgrade-to-sshd-solid-state-harddrive/
    Is Dolby Digital Output enabled on your Horizon STB? If so are you getting sound on your HD DD channels? (eg BBC1 & 2, C4, Sky Movies, etc). This is the specific issue that I'm enquiring about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

On my Cisco UPC HD box the majority of the UK HD channels have NAR as default instead of Dolby. I'm posted the issue many times over on the Talk to forum in the past and they used to fix it but the problem would keep coming back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I had to mess about with mine for ages to get DD output, but annoyingly I dont know what I actually did that got it working. I've the box connected to my receiver via HDMI, DD output enabled etc but wasn't getting DD, so tried connecting an optical cable and at some point DD started working. I've since taken the optical cable out again to see if it makes a difference and DD still works! I found testing with Netflix easier than UK channels as it's hit and miss when you get DD off them but I do still from time to time notice it's DD from BBC 1 HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

I've had loss of sound on BBC 4 on a few ocassions, it was sorted by the local VM eng. without having to access the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

BigMoose wrote: »
    I had to mess about with mine for ages to get DD output, but annoyingly I dont know what I actually did that got it working. I've the box connected to my receiver via HDMI, DD output enabled etc but wasn't getting DD, so tried connecting an optical cable and at some point DD started working. I've since taken the optical cable out again to see if it makes a difference and DD still works! I found testing with Netflix easier than UK channels as it's hit and miss when you get DD off them but I do still from time to time notice it's DD from BBC 1 HD.
    Thanks for this! Just to clarify, when you say you weren't getting DD when Enabled, do you mean you were getting no sound at all? (Like me currently) Or just non-DD sound?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Sorry, should have been clearer, I was getting 2 channel pro-logic sound when not DD.

Advertisement