Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Up Disk Space

Options
  • 29-07-2020 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

My girlfriends laptop's disk space is nearly full but I'm having trouble seeing what is taking up so much space

I deleted some hibernation files (think they're called that) so now there is 3gb free out of 22gb, she has 3gb worth of pictures and 400mb of apps

I ran a disk clean up and that didn't delete much and I used WinDirStat and nothing is jumping out at me there either

Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,598 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

22GB is nothing, how old is the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Bought it August 2016, it's a hp pavilion x2 detachable

• Registered Users Posts: 82,598 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it a Chromebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Probably came with 32GB ssd and windows 8.

Windows 10 will consume this with updates and itself, leaving little for the owner.

You'd want to investigate swapping the SSD, which is a bit tricky due to the requirement of transferring files or cloning the existing card to the new one.

HP have videos like
    Replace the Solid State Drive | HP Pavilion x2 Detachable 12-b000 Notebook | HP
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcPiD-tqG8o
    explaining the physical swapping bit.

Note the b000 bit to more precisely narrow down the laptop specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

Great software for visualising where your biggest files are.

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free

I have a similar small drive soldered ssd windows machine. It has a micro SD card slot so a 128gb micro SD card is a cheap way to beef up storage if possible as a D:\ drive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement