Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Takeaway adding tax to food orders

Options
  • 29-07-2020 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

The last couple of times I ordered in a local takeaway they added tax to my order. The food that I ordered was advertised on the menu with prices clearly displayed and my order total came to €28.95 but I was asked to pay €31.45 in total, so that was an additional €2.50 in 'tax'. I questioned them but they fobbed me off and told me that it was normal practice etc, etc.

This obviously isn't right, or is this just something new that I've never heard about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Phat Cat wrote: »
    The last couple of times I ordered in a local takeaway they added tax to my order. The food that I ordered was advertised on the menu with prices clearly displayed and my order total came to €28.95 but I was asked to pay €31.45 in total, so that was an additional €2.50 in 'tax'. I questioned them but they fobbed me off and told me that it was normal practice etc, etc.

This obviously isn't right, or is this just something new that I've never heard about?
    Not sure what tax rate that would be, and they can’t quote you ex vat. What does your receipt say?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Not sure what tax rate that would be, and they can’t quote you ex vat. What does your receipt say?

Unfortunately they gave me the merchant copy of my visa debit receipt both times which makes this feel even more shady.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Was it delivered?

€2.50 doesn't work for any tax rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Are they adding an extra made-up charge for Covid, like some hairdressers and the like?

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Was it delivered?

€2.50 doesn't work for any tax rate.

It wasn't delivered, it was a walk-in order
    JohnC. wrote: »
    Are they adding an extra made-up charge for Covid, like some hairdressers and the like?

I'm not sure, but it's definitely not a real tax, I'm not sure what they are upto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

That's not tax. The only tax they can charge on top of the price is VAT. The VAT rates are 13.5 and 23 percent. This charge isn't either one of those.

My guess is it is the delivery fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its absolutely not tax; but even if it was they must quote tax-inclusive prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,007 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Chancers imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

€3.75 for a manky single out of burdocks today. And they have a tip jar on the counter. No scraps thrown in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Complete chancers! That’s the definitely the delivery fee. Also did you preorder through like Just Eat? I read a while back some restaurants are considering collection charges like deliver to cover the commission fees. Only other thing I can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Did you order on an app?

• Registered Users Posts: 52,007 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We’re worse ourselves to be buying from these robbers.
    In my golf club prior to Covid a breakfast bap was €6 (2 sausages, rasher and egg in a burger bap). Tasty alright.
    After Covid it’s €8.
    25% increase. Robbers.

I got caught once but now I take my own sandwich with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I seem to recall mcDonalds here using American tills that showed bothe the acutal price and the tax amount. Obviously they were based on US software which adds on US sales taxes, but in Europe its always VAT inclusive for consumers and in the McD's case, they just display what portion is included as VAT . In fact its illegal to display incorrect prices and retail outlets have been shut down for not displaying correct prices ( source: I used to write EPOS software).

There is an "invitation to treat" that covers genuine mistakes but "under the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive (2005/29/EC), it is considered a misleading action to provide false or untruthful information that deceives or is likely to deceive the average consumer. It needs to be noted however that even in court, the judge would have to assess it on a case-by-case basis (taking into account all the relevant facts) in order to find a fair balance between giving relief and protecting commercial interests of the mistaken contracting party, taking into account the typical reaction of the average consumer in a given case, on the one hand, and the mistake/defect in consent on the other."

Op could basically have taken the food, dropped 28.95 on the counter and walked out without any repercussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Op could basically have taken the food, dropped 28.95 on the counter and walked out without any repercussion.

Realistically yes, legally in a direct manner no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

In my golf club prior to Covid a breakfast bap was €6 (2 sausages, rasher and egg in a burger bap). Tasty alright.
    After Covid it’s €8.
    25% increase. Robbers.

33 1/3 % increase . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

After Covid it’s €8.
    25% increase. Robbers.

A good example of a typical maths mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

After Covid it’s €8.
    25% increase. Robbers.

33.33%. Even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I seem to recall mcDonalds here using American tills that showed bothe the acutal price and the tax amount. Obviously they were based on US software which adds on US sales taxes, but in Europe its always VAT inclusive for consumers and in the McD's case, they just display what portion is included as VAT . In fact its illegal to display incorrect prices and retail outlets have been shut down for not displaying correct prices ( source: I used to write EPOS software).

There is an "invitation to treat" that covers genuine mistakes but "under the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive (2005/29/EC), it is considered a misleading action to provide false or untruthful information that deceives or is likely to deceive the average consumer. It needs to be noted however that even in court, the judge would have to assess it on a case-by-case basis (taking into account all the relevant facts) in order to find a fair balance between giving relief and protecting commercial interests of the mistaken contracting party, taking into account the typical reaction of the average consumer in a given case, on the one hand, and the mistake/defect in consent on the other."

McDonald's never had "American tills". They, like several others show the vat amount that is included in the gross price displayed.

As food and drinks have different rates, it's broken down at the bottom of the receipt.

And no you can't just leave xx on the counter and leave.

But you can say, sorry, but I expected to pay the price displayed and refuse to complete the transaction and purchase elsewhere. This I find is the best way to get things corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Long long time ago, EAT-in and Take-out had different VAT rates, and some fast food resturants had different (lower) prices for take out, for the older resturants, some might not have updated till software since then.

Complete chancers! That’s the definitely the delivery fee. Also did you preorder through like Just Eat? I read a while back some restaurants are considering collection charges like deliver to cover the commission fees. Only other thing I can think of.
    Darc19 wrote: »
    Did you order on an app?

I didn't order online or through an app, I ordered in store, so there shouldn't have been any delivery fee or handling charges applied. I personally think that they are just chancing their arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

€3.75 for a manky single out of burdocks today. And they have a tip jar on the counter.

Kind of OT, but I genuinely cannot understand the notion of looking for tips in places where the customer has to stand in a queue and get their order themselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

After Covid it’s €8.
    25% increase. Robbers.

Tayto sandwiches? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

33 1/3 % increase . . .

And if they dropped it again by 25% they'd be back to original price :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Phat Cat wrote: »
    I didn't order online or through an app, I ordered in store, so there shouldn't have been any delivery fee or handling charges applied. I personally think that they are just chancing their arm.

Was he wearing a mask 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭sidcon

Long long time ago, EAT-in and Take-out had different VAT rates, and some fast food resturants had different (lower) prices for take out, for the older resturants, some might not have updated till software since then.

That is still the situation today, cold food is 0% and hot food is 13.5%, the sit in rate is 13.5% so it's easy to distinguish what's at 13.5% now in terms of takeaway or fast food. Deli's on the other hand are not so easy if you have both options

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Allinall

€3.75 for a manky single out of burdocks today. And they have a tip jar on the counter. No scraps thrown in either.

Surely adding scraps would have made it mankier?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Kind of OT, but I genuinely cannot understand the notion of looking for tips in places where the customer has to stand in a queue and get their order themselves...

+1 on this. Coffee shops especially guilty of it.They often have an empty coffee cup with a post it note attached saying tips with a smiley face :rolleyes:

Probably more to do with the owners paying staff minimum wage and then looking for a way to get the customer to top it up with tips. I hate this American sh1t of paying staff low wages and then trying to get the customer to make up for the boss being a tight arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

I think they just leave it there to collect the small change, 10/20cents, from the sale. If you don’t like it just ignore.
    As you say, they are probably on minimum wage and the few accumulated cent are appreciated.
    Hate to think the owner would benefit from it.

Advertisement