Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you choose a life In dreams or normal reality?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Oh man you’re living the dream

Sh1t. I better not wake up!!!

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Dreams are fun but very tiring. And there is all that running where you can never move fast enough and have to grasp the ground to try and pull yourself forward faster. Blah. Don't like.
    Permanent consciousness does not preclude imagination. Remember when you were wide awake as a small child and stood at the edge of a puddle. The casual psychedelia of it. Remember if you stepped in with bare feet how intense the warm mud felt. The warm mud is still there now.
    Oh yeah, we have the best of both worlds now, but the point is what if you had to choose? It's not so much normal life vs dreams, but Dreams -v- Normal life – (dreams + vivid imagination + alcohol + drugs)

In the latter case, you would have an imagination, but quite superficial and functional.
    Kylta wrote: »
    When I was younger I went on many a trip. but how do we know we're not actually living in a dream at this very moment. Its possible that we're part of somebodys everlasting trip/dream. We are a figment of Mr Trippys weird and wonderful imagination.
    I don't know about you, but I tend not to even ask that question. It's like asking what happened before the big bang. It doesn't matter if this is just a computer simulation. Just find a philosophy and live your life by it, it can be anything you want. Theres no objectively best way to live, nor any objective purpose. Just find a purpose you can get behind, and stick with it in good faith. Jean Paul Sartre innit.

That's why the Holy Joe's and the atheists annoy me, always at each other's throats. Nobody knows anything, and so it doesn't matter what you believe. Just believe in something and be consistent with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Oh yeah, we have the best of both worlds now, but the point is what if you had to choose? It's not so much normal life vs dreams, but Dreams -v- Normal life – (dreams + vivid imagination + alcohol + drugs)

In the latter case, you would have an imagination, but quite superficial and functional.

I don't know about you, but I tend not to even ask that question. It's like asking what happened before the big bang. It doesn't matter if this is just a computer simulation. Just find a philosophy and live your life by it, it can be anything you want. Theres no objectively best way to live, nor any objective purpose. Just find a purpose you can get behind, and stick with it in good faith. Jean Paul Sartre innit.

That's why the Holy Joe's and the atheists annoy me, always at each other's throats. Nobody knows anything, and so it doesn't matter what you believe. Just believe in something and be consistent with it.

If you believe in nothing is that a formof belief

Kylta wrote: »
    If you believe in nothing is that a formof belief
    I don't think so, not if you still have opinions. If you have opinions you have to organise them into a consistent structure.

You can believe that there is no single purpose to life, which there isnt, but if you don't put your own meaning on it, you're just a twig in a river, turning this way and that. You're just a prisoner of someone else's world, you might as well be in a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GeorgeSmt

Normal reality, with dreams

Advertisement