Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tampax ad banned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

it is a tampon. there is nothing sexual about a tampon.

No there’s not. So why did the ad makers try to imply that there is?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't like the ad. I too find the way they're being all "ladette" cringey and unnecessary. No need for young kids to hear it due to the literal "in your endo", so later in the evening would be reasonable IMO (also young kids shouldn't be exposed to the Kardashians and Ariana Grande). And I don't think anyone is seriously trying to stigmatise menstruation here (you'll always get a few who'll use such a topic to have a laugh) but my issue is the desire to ban it. I find that quite abhorrent. Ads about erectile dysfunction aren't the ideal to have on in the background in certain company either. Or bowel problems. Or xondoms/sex toys/minty gel for added tingle. So I just change the channel.

People don't complain because they want things banned, they complain because they want things done better. It was the Journal who suggested it was banned, when all that would have happened was the ASAI got in touch with the marketing department for Tampax due to the volume of complaints and the outcome was to remove it. Even in the article linked in the OP, the main body of the complaints seemed to be based on the setting:
    But it is about how it is done and the content and the context and the way it is done. And in this case, even some of our complainants were positive about the fact that there was an educational message but they didn’t like the way the message was delivered.

https://www.thejournal.ie/tampons-tampax-advertising-banned-asai-offensive-5163216-Jul2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Odhinn wrote: »
    Yep, all ye have to do now is build a wee hut in your backyard, wherein the women can take of their woman business, and leave you out of it.

Have to say that's not an awful idea. Leviticus in the Old Testament recommends that the wife sleep in a seperate room during menstration.

I'd imagine that bit of divine instruction came from some old rabbi back in the day who couldn't put up with his battleaxe of a wife during "shark week". Came back from some deep contemplation in the desert decreeing that God spoke to him and forbade it as 'unclean'. All the other village elders nodding sagely in agreement - "tis the will of God"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

joe40 wrote: »
    I agree, but unfortunately a lot of the complaints from people on this forum are from other women.

Menstruation is not shameful in any way just a normal bodily function.

There’s a total lack of understanding in this post. I’m not ashamed of menstruation. I don’t want to be portrayed as a laughing hyena. Can you see the difference? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

84 people haven't much to be troubling them. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

If all it takes to get something banned is the number of people who complain, can we all start complaining about the Angelus to get it banned?

Every time I hear it I turn off the radio; religious overtures have no place on the national broadcaster. To me, it's a reminder of Catholic oppression in Ireland and all the pain caused by the church. No it doesn't keep me awake at night but I'd love to see it gone, as would most people under 50, I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

If anyone is genuinely this strongly upset by the supposed portrayal of all females in this ad, I can only assume that they only watch ads and have never watched an actual TV programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 YouTalking2me

When I buy a product I read the instructions. No need for that level of graphic detail to be on TV.

Men's shower gel ads don't say - "make sure you peel back the foreskin and give the encrusted cheese a good scrubbing" or "pry open your arse cheeks and give it a good scrub up there."

The ad was not appropriate and the ASAI obviously agree.

I wasn't sure if you were trolling or not up until this point, but the crusty cheese nailed it for me.
    100% agree this thread has been an eye-opener.

Behavioural standards are dropping if people think adds like that are ok.

Huge concern

It sure has been an eye opener, some of you people are mad and don't seem to realise it's 2020.
    I'm as liberal as they come

That sounds an awful lot like "I'm not racist but..." repackaged.
    splinter65 wrote: »
    Women are portrayed in the ad as tasteless loudmouth idiots. You have no objection to that?

It's you that is generalising it as all women, not the ad.
    You and your dad aren’t uncomfortable with women being depicted as shouty thickos with no class or dignity. That’s fine. Own it girl.

Not only are you deluded, but you're putting words in other people's mouths regarding a problem that you've invented in your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

The Irish obsession with perceived international opinion, and desperation for same, is something else.

"Hey, don't you dare complain about something lest Belgium think less of us!"

Sometimes having a mirror held up just shows what an ugly mess you are. That’s what international opinion often is.

Had we paid more more attention to how we were viewed back in the day, perhaps we wouldn’t have had the horrendous scandals we ended up allowing to happen.

Belgium has has to face plenty of mirrors being held up over the years too and so should we.

This decision is absolutely backwards and we should be aware that’s that’s exactly what it looks like because that’s exactly what it is.

Seeing one’s reflection isn’t a bad thing and has dragged a lot of places out of bad situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

meeeeh wrote: »
    Why do you assume I (and other women who don't like the ad) are ashamed of menstruation because we don't like the add. I don't think I need to be told by a man who is not a target audience for the ad how should I feel about it.

I didn't say anything about how you should feel about the ad.
    I was responding to a poster who said "it's pitiful ( ad been banned) another thing for women to be shameful about."

How you feel about the ad is absolutely up to you.

Nothing to do with the ad but how wider society discuss and views menstruation affects everyone, obviously women much moreso.

My daughter suffers really bad from period pain/sickness and vast majority of times in public suffers in silence. I don't think that is a healthy thing for a society.

She is getting medical help with it but options are limited.

• Advertisement

There’s a total lack of understanding in this post. I’m not ashamed of menstruation. I don’t want to be portrayed as a laughing hyena. Can you see the difference? No?

No I can see the difference and I take your point. My post was a response to a specific post, not a general comment on people objecting to the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's you that is generalising it as all women, not the ad.

Not only are you deluded, but you're putting words in other people's mouths regarding a problem that you've invented in your head.

I'm less than happy to be on the same side of argument as Splinter but it is annoying that an add for product solely aimed at women uses the most low brow type of show to deal with the issue. The same message could be done by newsreader informing research shows many women feel discomfort from inserting the tampon wrongly and you can go on from that. However us women wouldn't bother our pretty little heads with stuff like news we much prefer daytime shows and soaps. it also implies that this kind of issues should be relegated to the day time shows because they are not relevant enough for anything else.

No there’s not. So why did the ad makers try to imply that there is?

I'm not seeing that at all. It's a bit, shall we say, intimate, perhaps crudely so, but it's delivering a message as well as product description and in all fairness banning the likes of that is a bit John Charles McQuaid in this day and age.

Neither is sh1tting shameful, but for some people it's not something they want to hear about.

That is exactly the problem, it should not be treated the same way at all. Menstruation can be debilitating over several days. I only know how bad due to my own family otherwise I was clueless.

Menstruation is not talked about nearly enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 homes_for_all

Sometimes having a mirror held up just shows what an ugly mess you are. That’s what international opinion often is.

HAHAHAHA! Yes, an ad getting banned, shows what a mess the place is! Imagine the poor company... I hope their CEO is ok.

As said, the Irish desire for international pat-on-the-head is hilarious.

Imagine actually seeing this "story" and your first concern is what Belgium et al think of it. Not even considering that 99% of the world, let alone the Irish public, do not care about this. At all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

jimgoose wrote: »
    I'm not seeing that at all. It's a bit, shall we say, intimate, perhaps crudely so, but it's delivering a message as well as product description and in all fairness banning the likes of that is a bit John Charles McQuaid in this day and age.

Na, the setting in the ad, is very off key. Forget about the jokes and listen to how the "audience" is prompted. When I saw it, it just made me think of televangelists.

joe40 wrote: »
    That is exactly the problem, it should not be treated the same way at all. Menstruation can be debilitating over several days. I only know how bad due to my own family otherwise I was clueless.

Menstruation is not talked about nearly enough.

In fairness it wasn't exactly a secret among my family and friends. I suffered from cramps pretty badly and so did few of my friends. However for a lot of us things improved with contraception pills (she might want to try them if it's really bad) and I suspect age. So it becomes a lot less relevant for a lot of us.

Na, the setting in the ad, is very off key. Forget about the jokes and listen to how the "audience" is prompted. When I saw it, it just made me think of televangelists.

Well yes, it's a dumb ad, I dislike it. But I don't see any need to ban it.

Well yes, it's a dumb ad, I dislike it. But I don't see any need to ban it.

It wasn't "banned" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

It's a distasteful add under certain circumstances ie: with elderly parents or family members watching with younger members of the family...
    If you can't understand that especially for a certain generation of Irish people then maybe you need to have more respect for your elders.
    Sometimes it's not always cool to try to be cool and hip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I haven't read the whole thread, the ad was awful but might have helped some young girls when they first start using tampons.

I'm more offended by the plastic applicator and wrapper, no need for it at all when cardboard applicators and paper wrappers were used for years and are still available. They're marketed as more comfortable to insert, but I don't think that's true. Some of these are no doubt flushed down the loo and end up in the ocean.

The cardboard applicators are slightly longer so easier to "get it up there" too.

It wasn't "banned" though.

Does it not say that it was banned in the title and first sentence of the article linked to in the OP?

Does it not say that it was banned in the title and first sentence of the article linked to in the OP?

But not by ASAI or Tampax. Or anywhere else that I could see.

But not by ASAI or Tampax. Or anywhere else that I could see.

Right, here we go through the looking-glass again. G'luck...

I haven't read the whole thread, the ad was awful but might have helped some young girls when they first start using tampons.

I'm more offended by the plastic applicator and wrapper, no need for it at all when cardboard applicators and paper wrappers were used for years and are still available. They're marketed as more comfortable to insert, but I don't think that's true. Some of these are no doubt flushed down the loo and end up in the ocean.

The cardboard applicators are slightly longer so easier to "get it up there" too.

For me the best ones are actually no applicator tampons. Using your own finger is by far the easiest especially with brands like o.b. I'm not sure they are sold in Ireland but Lidl do passable although not as good knock off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

It's a distasteful add under certain circumstances ie: with elderly parents or family members watching with younger members of the family...
    If you can't understand that especially for a certain generation of Irish people then maybe you need to have more respect for your elders.
    Sometimes it's not always cool to try to be cool and hip.
    Ban it or change the channel?

What about all the other things on TV that cause discomfort? E.g. help for erectile dysfunction, Durex products... I agree it's embarrassing but banning is extreme I think. Not a great message when other uncomfortable stuff stays.

(You surely don't think those critical of it being removed are solely concerned with being cool and hip do you?)

Ban it or change the channel?

What about all the other things on TV that cause discomfort? E.g. help for erectile dysfunction, Durex products... I agree it's embarrassing but banning is extreme I think.

(You surely don't think those critical of it being removed are solely concerned with being cool and hip do you?)

For me Unicef starving children ads. Can we ban those?

Right, here we go through the looking-glass again. G'luck...

Have you seen anything attributed to them stating it was banned? The article only quoted them stating it was offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

meeeeh wrote: »
    For ne the best ones are actually no applicator tampons. Using your own finger is by far the easiest especially with brands like o.b. I'm not sure they are sold in Ireland but Lidl do passable although not as good knock off.
    Lil-Lets non applicator used to be available here, not sure if they still are.

• Advertisement

Lil-Lets non applicator used to be available here, not sure if they still are.

They are, O.B. are a bit better in my opinion (smoother, softer and smaller).

Advertisement