Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tampax ad banned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Have you seen anything attributed to them stating it was banned? The article only quoted them stating it was offensive.

"...prompting the ASAI to advise that the advertisement shouldn’t run again in the same format.". That looks like a ban to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

HAHAHAHA! Yes, an ad getting banned, shows what a mess the place is! Imagine the poor company... I hope their CEO is ok.

As said, the Irish desire for international pat-on-the-head is hilarious.

Imagine actually seeing this "story" and your first concern is what Belgium et al think of it. Not even considering that 99% of the world, let alone the Irish public, do not care about this. At all.

That’s your opinion.

I’ve already had two French colleagues commenting on it and someone working in the media in the U.K. wondering if we are returning to ultra religious conservatism.

Unfortunately, Ireland has a reputation as a conservative backwater. We’ve only just managed to shake it off and plenty will still very quickly assume that we still are.

I mean our reputation isn’t much better than the US Bible Belt on social conservatism. I know we like to think we are all hip and progressive, but that isn’t the image of Ireland abroad.

It has serious impacts too. I know for example of a few people from France who opted not to take jobs in the IT sector in Dublin due to the abortion situation a few years ago. Savita Halappanavar‘s case had received extensive coverage on a few French news programmes in 2012 and the referendum campaign was getting into swing and her view is Ireland online was that it was “sort of like Alabama only in Europe”

I remember back when the blasphemy law came into force here I had journalist friends asking was it “safe” to visit as they had written potentially blasphemous articles and this was around the same time that Greece had attempted to extradite an Austrian cartoonist over a cartoon he had published in Austria ?!

Decisions like this one just go into international media and it reinforces a view that this so called tech and tech media hub, is in fact a moralising backwater.

You can’t be on the one hand trying to sell the fact that Dublin, Cork etc are thriving places to site your tech business or relocate your career to and then on the other hand ban a main stream British tampax advert because a few people got squeamish about vaginas.

This kind of decision gets coverage and it has real world impacts on Ireland’s reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Lil-Lets non applicator used to be available here, not sure if they still are.

They most certainly are and produce the best product ive ever used for Red Wedding type scenarios. Tanpax don't even get close.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Sardonicat wrote: »
    They most certainly are and produce the best product ive ever used for Red Wedding type scenarios. Tanpax don't even get close.
    They expand in width, rather than length.

I'm sure this is all very interesting for men. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I just hate the ad , regardless of what its for the shouty know it all woman does my head in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

jimgoose wrote: »
    "...prompting the ASAI to advise that the advertisement shouldn’t run again in the same format.". That looks like a ban to me.

That's still not a quote, but an interpretation of an event that could have been made to sound stronger than it was implied.

Mate, big tech companies will happily move to ****holes like India. They don't give a **** about the country, all they care about is profit.

I’m not your mate for a start and I’m not necessarily talking about just tech companies.

If Ireland wants to be at the leading edge of media and tech investment, it does not want to be seen as Europe’s Alabama or an innovator in censorship rules.

There’s more to investment, particularly as we move up the scale and need to be an attractive place to live, work and be based in.

That's still not a quote, but an interpretation of an event that could have been made to sound stronger than it was implied.

Jesus... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

meeeeh wrote: »
    In fairness it wasn't exactly a secret among my family and friends. I suffered from cramps pretty badly and so did few of my friends. However for a lot of us things improved with contraception pills (she might want to try them if it's really bad) and I suspect age. So it becomes a lot less relevant for a lot of us.

She is on the contraception pills but can still be very painful. Hopefully improve with age.
    Obviously periods are private for women and I'm not telling people how to behave. But I just feel there is still too much secrecy and hiding about periods in our society for whatever reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

I may disagree with the ad being discontinued but if people abroad make up their mind that Ireland is an ultra conservative backwater (it really isn't, no matter how some like to see it) based on just this, then they're showing up how ignorant and lazy they are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I've recently been reminded of past likeness' I had to the man! :)

I may disagree with the ad being discontinued but if people abroad make up their mind that Ireland is an ultra conservative backwater (it really isn't, no matter how some like to see it) based on just this, then they're showing up how ignorant and lazy they are.

They give Ireland about 4 seconds consideration much like I’m sure most of us probably jump to conclusions about say Poland or parts of the USA based on current coverage of politics there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I was the one who got this ad removed from Irish tv...it wasnt easy, I had to call in some favours, pull a few strings...

Despite what some trans groups would like to tell us, women have periods. This ad is no different than showing someone shove an inhaler up their nostril for hayfever.
    Grow up people.

There really aren't any grounds to stop the ad except that some people complained. People have said it's graphic, but it doesn't show or use the words blood, menses or vagina, it literally only says 'up there'. How is that graphic?

Some other comments I've seen have said the ad is inappropriate for daytime TV because of its crude, sexual nature and innuendo. If you think a tampon being pushed into a hand is sexual, that says more about you than me buddy.

This article in the Irish Times compares the ad with its American equivalent, where they're talking about sex and vaginas and levels of flow, and still they're noting that people need to get more used to being open about this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The ASAI do not have the power to ban adverts. They are not a statutory body.

Their determination carries as much legal weight as me banning chocolate for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

They expand in width, rather than length.

I'm sure this is all very interesting for men. :pac:

Yes. They remain tapered at the tip and fan out gradually towards the bottom, like a tiny, compacted cotton wool umbrella. Much more secure fit and longer lasting and better absorbancy, but actually much smaller than a Tampax. :)'

The ASAI do not have the power to ban adverts. They are not a statutory body.

Their determination carries as much legal weight as me banning chocolate for sale.

OK... so it's not banned? Nothing happened? This whole thing is some sort of gnab gib?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

OK... so it's not banned? Nothing happened? This whole thing is some sort of gnab gib?? :confused:

Pretty much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

A kind of soft prejudice about Ireland can exist abroad, where people who know nothing of the country relexively associate it with backward attitudes and scan the odd headline to reinforce their misconception.

For example when in 2011 a DUP Alderman and farmer kicked Rihanna off his land for her scanty dress when she was shooting a video there, and explained his actions with reference to his religious views, the international media and comment simply shortened it to Irish Farmer and any nuance about the DUP was stripped out.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    A kind of soft prejudice about Ireland can exist abroad, where people who know nothing of the country relexively associate it with backward attitudes and scan the odd headline to reinforce their misconception.

For example when in 2011 a DUP Alderman and farmer kicked Rihanna off his land for her scanty dress when she was shooting a video there, and explained his actions with reference to his religious views, the international media and comment simply shortened it to Irish Farmer and any nuance about the DUP was stripped out.

he was agreeable to her being dressed to some extent. The issue was when she proceeded to undress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I don't use this particular product and the ad is grating, but it shouldn't have been removed.

I find LOADS of ads annoying, demanding children, dopey men, hapless women with piles of laundry etc. - they're full of irritating (and often insulting) stereotypes, but we don't remove any of them just for being annoying. Most people go make a cup of tea and then forward through the ads or watch Netflix to avoid ads altogether.

If ads were removed for being annoying, we'd have about 3 ads currently airing.

Lets be real, it was only offensive to people because it was about periods and there was a reference to fully inserting them into the vagina. It didn't even say it as blatantly as that, "get them up there girls" is fairly innocuous. I'd understand the uproar if the line was "shove them right up your hole", but it wasn't :confused:

I had to explain everything about tampons to my friend when we were teenagers, because her parents couldn't handle talking about things like this openly and honestly. You'd hope things would have moved on in the last 20 years but evidently not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I'd say Tampax are delighted with the publicity. That ad wouldn't even register with me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

CrankyHaus wrote: »

Shir we have a slightly 'backward' attitude and we would be slightly slow at coming forward... There's no harm in it to be sure fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

sunshinew wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/JZoFqIxlbk0

If you don't like that ad, this bodyform video will send you over the edge. I think it's brilliant. Shows a much more realistic version of what a lot of women go through. Instead of blue liquid and white tennis outfits....

That is a very powerful advert! It is about time that women's bodies be shown in a truthful way, no blue water and roller skating. This advert is a strong declaration of what womanhood is.

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Having had a friend ask me at 16 (SIXTEEN!) what hole they go in I thought that ad was great!
    Not every girl has a mother to ask about these things

What have we reared if a girl doesn’t know that the tampon goes in where the blood is coming out of. Doesn’t take much to actually read the instructions leaflet or just google how to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I came across a link on Facebook and just seen this thread now and before I watched it I was thinking it must be outrageous, but after watching it I do see anything wrong with it. Some people have little else to do to complain about an ad that is in no way disrespectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Periods are gross, no one wants to hear about it.

'BUT ITS NATURAL!!!!!!!!!!'

Yeah, so is taking a dump.

Yeah that's what some people say when objecting to seeing women breastfeeding. Women, disgusting creatures whose bodily functions are best not talked about due to being so repulsive.

Last I checked there were plenty of ads that literally relate to "taking a dump", from toilet paper to laxatives and anti diarrhea medicine. Bet you don't have a problem with those though.

As a man with no kids to feel embarrassed (didn't realise it actually was a sensitive topic to be honest) I found the ad to be a form of torture for watching 'normal' TV.

Crass, cheap, tacky advert that makes women look like morons. The tag line of 'get 'em up you girls' is presumably an innuendo, which just cheapens it even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

You’re a grown man with a wife and family and an ad about periods is offensive to you?

I bought those new type of tampon a couple of times and I didn’t find them very good. When the ad first aired I thought it was because women were having the same issue as me. It was showing how to “get it up there” correctly. I liked that they made a public information ad about it.

I don’t like that the advertising complaints authority has took a normal female bodily function and deemed it yucky. Grow ****ing up!

Well your points are valid and well made but it is fúcking yucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,165 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

What have we reared if a girl doesn’t know that the tampon goes in where the blood is coming out of. Doesn’t take much to actually read the instructions leaflet or just google how to.

She only ever used pads and couldnt comprehend that you didnt have to take them out when you had to pee..i dont think she did very well in biology class.

Advertisement