Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tampax ad banned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

i_surge wrote: »
    Completely comfortable with periods. Those sponges are magic too.

Completely uncomfortable with how menstruation has been politicised and in a sense shoved down our throats. We all know how taking a dump works once we have been toilet trained and don't need to weave it into public discourse (toilet jokes aside). Why the intimacy of a human excretion process has been politicised is beyond me?!

How is an advert for tampons politicising periods?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Well done the Ad makers.

The idea of an advert, is to get attention, and got people talking about the product, and it's worked, publicity all over the place, and us gobsh1tes posting on it.

I'm personally glad it's off air though, was in bad taste I think, I'd compare it to showing you how to wipe your ar5e, some things don't need to be said repeatedly.

Not sure I agree with the banning of it though. There is a place for advertising standards. There are limits on things like alcohol, tobacco, and I'd suggest there could be more on the likes of bookies and gambling,that are promote harmful behaviours. This doesn't fit into this category obviously, but there is a vulgarity about it IMHO. It is in poor taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

What’s a geefer?

Fer stickin’ yer mickey in.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

eviltwin wrote: »
    How is an advert for tampons politicising periods?

Part of a theme. There are campaigns to make menstrual products free etc. etc. I agree but only if the same applies to toilet paper and condoms.

Unless you have lived under a rock for 5 years.

What’s a geefer?

But seriously, it’s just an “industry term”, used by those in retail, for female sanitary products, pads and the like.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

For too long, people have been afraid to discuss periods in our society or people call you crass etc. if you talk about periods.

Over 2 billion people menstruate. In Ireland, we have serious issues where there are many people who cannot get period products. Many teenage girls are using cotton wool, toilet paper, cut up tshirts because they can't afford the products and are often too embarrassed to ask for help.

Regardless of one's opinion regarding the ad, at least it has started a wider conversation on periods and how they are perceived and discussed in Irish society. The Homeless Period Project are doing amazing work at the moment and it is great to see more LOI clubs getting involved and providing period products at matches.

If anything, we should be encouraging people to move to more sustainable forms of period products like the menstrual cup or period underwear, from Thinx and others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

But seriously, it’s just an “industry term”, used by those in retail, for female sanitary products, pads and the like.

Thanks, I’ll have to start using the term myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

This, right here, is the capitalist Patriarchy at work.

Such ignorance!

With no capitalism there would be no tampax.

Keep the buzzwords buzzin'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,189 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Delighted it's gone tbh.
    I'm a female but thought it was absolutely vulgar. The language and innuendo was just crass and not needed.
    I actually thought it was demeaning to women, instead of empowering.
    The attempt at trying to be liberated females was wasted on me.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

If people are glad the Tampax advert is gone, it really is a crazy world we live in. Sure, the advert was a bit meh... but calling for it to be banned. Nah, that is just daft.

I understand that some people are a bit put off by the idea and talking of blood and menstruation... however it is perfectly natural, and they should really just grow up and accept reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

A disgusting ad campaign

Glad it’s gone. Hopefully the company is heavily fined also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,189 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

If people are glad the Tampax advert is gone, it really is a crazy world we live in. Sure, the advert was a bit meh... but calling for it to be banned. Nah, that is just daft.

I understand that some people are a bit put off by the idea and talking of blood and menstruation... however it is perfectly natural, and they should really just grow up and accept reality.

There were other sanitary product ads that weren't vulgar and shock factor. Nothing wrong with those, it's just a product being advertised.
    It was the way this particular one was delivered thst was offensive and uncomfortable.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Jaysus if they can't read at that age, god help them.

Plus, most of them have a wondrous resource in the palm of their hands, the smartphone.
    It's not a nice time getting one's first period. It's scary as it's such a strange new occurrence. Hormones are trying to work themselves out - emotions run deep. I was 12 with plenty of advance advice from my mother (who's a nurse so there was added knowledge) and it was awful. Feeling like crying all the time was just horrible and frightening. But that was all I had to deal with. It could be a considerably younger girl, with no decent female role model, and who not only has the awful low mood but painful cramps too.

I think there could be a bit more understanding. For a young girl it's not really comparable to defecation. Much more to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

A disgusting ad campaign

Glad it’s gone. Hopefully the company is heavily fined also.
    Lol, fined for what?

It's interesting how people call period products sanitary ware or feminine hygiene products still. I did when I was younger but then I began to realise that periods are not dirty or shameful.

If anything I want more ads with the colour red and the words period/menstruation etc.

It could be a considerably younger girl, with no decent female role model, and who not only has the awful low mood but awfully painful cramps too.

Absolutely 100%. There are many young girls alas who don't.

Plus it can be very daunting for someone young using a tampon for the first time, regardless of whether they have the instructions in front of them or if they can read or not:rolleyes:, especially if it was perhaps a non-applicator tampon.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

KiKi III wrote: »
    If men think hearing about a period is gross, they should think about what it's like to experience them.

Men???? Why are you going down that road???

Women complained about the ad also. Women in this thread disliked the ad. Women on liveline hated the ad and thought it was gross.

Many people in Ireland don't like to discuss anything like this. Any bodily function. Or sex. And don't want sex education in schools. Men and women.

But why do you have to jump down the throat of men, when only a few in the thread have negative opinions about the ad, and think a period is gross.

Your post is gross!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mc25

According to the Irish Times it was mostly women who complained. Women who have internalised misogyny from living in a patriarchal capitalist society.

I never claimed only men or mostly men complained, I said that the complaints stemmed from patriarchal attitudes towards women's issues.

Out of interest where did it say that in the article? I read it and didn't see that information, but maybe I just missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I thought the ad was fine. It had practical truthful and slightly humorous advice to give to young girls. Tampons can be tricky to manage when you are just starting to use them. Absolutely ridiculous to ban the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

It was a cringey ad.

Why dont tampax have an information section on their website instead of a stupid advert or make a better advert.

Im not against tampon/sanitary pad adverts but I hated that tampax chatshow themed advert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Seems we’re back in the old days of literature where Banned in Ireland was practically a badge of honour meaning that it must be good.

Sure we banned many of our best writers and even managed to ban a classic French book in 1953, published in 1832, written by Honoré de Balzac.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

mikeym wrote: »
    It was a cringey ad.

Why dont tampax have an information section on their website instead of a stupid advert or make a better advert.

Im not against tampon/sanitary pad adverts but I hated that tampax chatshow themed advert.

I hate the music on the gocompare ads and it stays in my head for ages.

Can we ban it on that basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

You mean a sexual innuendo? I don't see how people are reading 'sex' from that ad.

The same type of people who piss and moan about women breastfeeding in public I'd say. They tend to over sexualise everything...ugh, tits and fannies - gross!

So many Pollyannas in this thread, it's laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I think that many posters on this thread are forgetting that menstruation is no longer the sole preserve of women.

(Some) men can menstruate now. Indeed some men can ovulate, be impregnated, give birth, breast feed etc.

What a time to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Ciara Kelly has something to say!!

Quelle surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Any way in getting that Virgin Media phone add off the air with the big foot" i don't want to hide any more", its so old and i am sick to death of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Any way in getting that Virgin Media phone add off the air with the big foot" i don't want to hide any more", its so old and i am sick to death of it.

Can we throw in the kid with the monster under his bed and Perf with Surf while we’re at it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

eviltwin wrote: »
    Can we throw in the kid with the monster under his bed and Perf with Surf while we’re at it ?

Yes your right that's every add break!

• Advertisement

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

To be fair, the girl in that “one” is well hot.

Advertisement