Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tampax ad banned

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

What I find hard to fathom are the amount of women who obviously don't know how to use a product that's been around 50 years or so.
    Makes you wonder how many actually understand how they get pregnant.

I'm sure if it was a similarly "colourful" advert for a product for say jock itch in guys, there would be plenty complaining too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

It makes you wonder who the ad was aimed at tho, I'm not offended by it but if you're female and menstruating regularly should you not be aware of how to use them after the several trial and errors, i can understand mistakes being made but if you're still not sure after the first 12 months there's something wrong somewhere, and its not like a young girl of 12 will grasp the whole concept by watching an ad that's hinting a little bit on the sexual side of it, education of young females firstly in the home or if not in the home then it has to be taught in school or by a trusted female

Seamai wrote: »
    What I find hard to fathom are the amount of women who obviously don't know how to use a product that's been around 50 years or so.

I'm sure if it was a similarly "colourful" advert for a product for say jock itch in guys, there would be plenty complaining too.

Tampax launched a new tampon applicator and their USP was that it was compact. What some women (myself) didn’t realise was that it wasn’t like using any of there other applicators and with this one you had to hear the click in order for it to do its thing correctly.

Feedback showed women were having issues with it and tampax made the ad to show how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Tampax launched a new tampon applicator and their USP was that it was compact. What some women (myself) didn’t realise was that it wasn’t like using any of there other applicators and with this one you had to hear the click in order for it to do its thing correctly.

Feedback showed women were having issues with it and tampax made the ad to show how it works.

Would it not also have been in the instructions that come with the packet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I got my first period at 11 and the wisdom women around me had absorbed (pun intended) over the prior 40 years didn't enter my brain by osmosis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

As I've tried to point out up thread, it's not that there are loads of women who don't know how to use it, it's a rubbish product that can be downright painful to use when you follow the instructions to the letter -hence some women modify how they use the applicator which results in poor performance. This is just another attempt by Tampax to convince those women that the product is great and applicators are necessary and they've just been doing it wrong.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    As I've tried to point out up thread, it's not that there are loads of women who don't know how to use it, it's a rubbish product that can be downright painful to use when you follow the instructions to the letter -hence some women modify how they use the applicator which results in poor performance. This is just another attempt by Tampax to convince those women that the product is great and applicators are necessary and they've just been doing it wrong.

I've definitely had the exact experience they're talking about in the ad, where I didn't shove the tampon far enough up my gee and was walking around feeling it there as a result. I have no issues with tampons generally, I just needed to get it up there!

Would it not also have been in the instructions that come with the packet

Probably. I never looked and I don’t have a box anymore.

Saw tampax in shop, picked off shelf and bought, go home and empty tampons into their usual place in bathroom till needed, one day it’s needed so grab one. Have difficulty so go buy something else as soon as.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I don't think many men realise that the first thing to enter many women's vaginas is a tampon.

We're not born natural-tampon-inserters by virtue of having female genitalia.

I tried a similar Tampax years ago, this must be the updated version. The one I tried was much less comfortable than the cardboard version, and was marketed as something you could hide in the palm of your hand.

I also had a tampon somehow get caught up in my hymen. Now the contortions involved in removing that would make for an uncomfortable ad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

KiKi III wrote: »
    I've definitely had the exact experience they're talking about in the ad, where I didn't shove the tampon far enough up my gee and was walking around feeling it there as a result. I have no issues with tampons generally, I just needed to get it up there!

Do you still have your onlyfans page going? Some members may be interested in this sort of stuff.

• Advertisement

Ah for sure, they suit many women fine. But applicators aren't for everyone (cos we don't all align with the applicators direction or depth) and they are definitely not necessary for correct placement. I really do believe that is information that should be included on the outside of a box of applicator tampons.

I also had a tampon somehow get caught up in my hymen. Now the contortions involved in removing that would make for an uncomfortable ad!

Sweet Jebus! I thought I was bad with the bunt force trauma to the cervix from a Tampax shot at speed from a (correctly inserted) applicator. But I think you win.

Do you still have your onlyfans page going? Some members may be interested in this sort of stuff.

That's a very specific niche and not one I'm sure I'm ready for. The onlyfans page never got started unforch!

Anyone used those Thinx undies instead?

That's a very specific niche ...

No pun intended?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Sweet Jebus! I thought I was bad with the bunt force trauma to the cervix from a Tampax shot at speed from a (correctly inserted) applicator. But I think you win.

I later discovered that my hymen survived intact. It was very uncomfortable bending a tampon to tease it out though.

And to think people are squeamish about periods!

I later discovered that my hymen survived intact. It was very uncomfortable bending a tampon to tease it out though.

And to think people are squeamish about periods!

Haha. And if you believe the ads it's all so clean and easy.I've literally been prostrate on the bathroom floor with the pain from inserting a Tampax. While it's true I couldn't feel the tampon, I could feel body parts I wasn't supposed to be aware of outside of the final stages of labour. And I wasn't able to weight bare for quite some time which scuppered my plans to go roller blading in a snow white body stocking. Bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

I have 3 of the organic cotton sets. Very comfortable. Very fast delivery from the States too.

If you order through an ambassador link you can get 10 dollars off too. Then you get extra discounts for buying a certain number of briefs etc.

I only have them a month so I can't comment regarding their durability yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Haha. And if you believe the ads it's all so clean and easy.I've literally been prostrate on the bathroom floor with the pain from inserting a Tampax. While it's true I couldn't feel the tampon, I could feel body parts I wasn't supposed to be aware of outside of the final stages of labour. And I wasn't able to weight bare for quite some time which scuppered my plans to go roller blading in a snow white body stocking. Bummer.

What is wrong with using the pads that don't have to be inserted?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ad seems informative, I don't see the problem at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AndOne

https://youtu.be/piBLSNBbpuE

Here is the Ad in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Overheal wrote: »

Good man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Overheal wrote: »

Seriously?

There isn't a single shot of a woman rollerblading in lycra shorts or cycling through town with a carefree expression on her face. I mean, is it an ad for tampons or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

https://www.thejournal.ie/tampons-tampax-advertising-banned-asai-offensive-5163216-Jul2020/

The ASAI have banned that Tampax ad. As one of the 84 people who complained about it I'm happy with this decision, but I see there are a lot of people who are not happy.

Personally it's not the type of thing I want to be thinking about when I'm relaxing and watching TV, particularly with the kids. Glad sense prevailed.

The ad is just plain weird....

Like they are so desperately trying to offend and be vulgar.....

No need for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Seriously?

There isn't a single shot of a woman rollerblading in lycra shorts or cycling through town with a carefree expression on her face. I mean, is it an ad for tampons or not?
    And the only alternative should be annoying bint shouting?

Lifechangers - I pair them with a cup days 1-4, but I go on for a full 7 days so the last three are totally stress-free. The organic cotton are my favourite for comfort but the boy shorts are probably the best for psychological reassurance.

As for the comments about it being the same as seeing someone wipe their bottom, it's not. You only see a disembodied hand inserting a tampon into another disembodied hand, so it's the equivalent of seeing someone holding toilet paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

Will Yam wrote: »
    Ciara Kelly has something to say!!

Quelle surprise.

...and I find myself agreeing with her, which is a plus grande surprise. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,189 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

storker wrote: »
    ...and I find myself agreeing with her, which is a plus grande surprise. :eek:

Can someone summarise please?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭ollkiller

walshb wrote: »
    The ad is just plain weird....

Like they are so desperately trying to offend and be vulgar.....

No need for it...

Weird me hole. Tango ads were weird. Ciara Kelly's vid on newstalk summed it up perfectly.. Gobshytes saying under 18's shouldn't see this ad. Girls get periods from the age of 9 upwards. Anyone and I mean anyone giving out about this ad wants to keep up the shameful practice of shaming women in this country. Women have periods. Deal with it. If this ad helped one young girl then it was worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Can someone summarise please?

Advertisement