Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tampax ad banned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Will Yam wrote: »
    Ciara Kelly has something to say!!

Quelle surprise.

Never heard of the girl but I can't say she's wrong here...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

When I was 20 I dated a guy from Senegal... moved in with him in Portugal where we met and fell in love!!! He had just recently arrived in Portugal from Senegal and everything was so new to him (this is now 22 years ago).

First month with him when I had my period he nearly died and had never heard of them. He really thought I might bleed out and might be dying. He was so worried. I had to explain to him what periods were and he had never heard of them. I was shocked and explained to him all about the reproductive system and how all girls get them and it turns you into a woman etc

He was amazed listening to me then told me that his sisters and his mam didn't get them! Had to laugh... he also said an ex he had didn't. When I convinced him that they all did his reaction was so funny. That ad reminded me of him and some of the attitudes on this post are hisarous. There is nothing horrible or unnatural about periods. There is something very unnatural to be to want your kids (boys and girls) to be ignorant and so backward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

ollkiller wrote: »
    Weird me hole. Tango ads were weird. Ciara Kelly's vid on newstalk summed it up perfectly.. Gobshytes saying under 18's shouldn't see this ad. Girls get periods from the age of 9 upwards. Anyone and I mean anyone giving out about this ad wants to keep up the shameful practice of shaming women in this country. Women have periods. Deal with it. If this ad helped one young girl then it was worth it.

I have no issues with breastfeeding (I breastfed both of my kids) or tampon ads in general. What I do have issues is that we have to watch someone who could be dragged out of The Only Way is Essex because apparently women can only relate to someone loud, wearing too much make up, hair extensions and overweight. I'm not worried about my 7 year old hearing and seeing the message of the ad, we talk about periods, pads, tampons and so on. However I certainly hope she will aim higher than the representation of the woman we see in the ad.

As I said I don't think ad should be banned but I'm not sorry that I don't have to channel hop every time it's on. (For the record I also switch the channel every time I see some sort of a soap or Love Island is on. I don't need to watch tacky stuff.)

I really don’t see the two women in the ads in the same trashy way that others do.

Yer one talking just sounds and looks like an average Northern Lass.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

women like talk shows plus dont understand how to use a basic sanitary product - the perfect ad really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

meeeeh wrote: »
    I have no issues with breastfeeding (I breastfed both of my kids) or tampon ads in general. What I do have issues is that we have to watch someone who could be dragged out of The Only Way is Essex because apparently women can only relate to someone loud, wearing too much make up, hair extensions and overweight. I'm not worried about my 7 year old hearing and seeing the message of the ad, we talk about periods, pads, tampons and so on. However I certainly hope she will aim higher than the representation of the woman we see in the ad.

As I said I don't think ad should be banned but I'm not sorry that I don't have to channel hop every time it's on. (For the record I also switch the channel every time I see some sort of a soap or Love Island is on. I don't need to watch tacky stuff.)

it is a good job you are not judgmental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

AryaStark wrote: »
    When I was 20 I dated a guy from Senegal... moved in with him in Portugal where we met and fell in love!!! He had just recently arrived in Portugal from Senegal and everything was so new to him (this is now 22 years ago).

First month with him when I had my period he nearly died and had never heard of them. He really thought I might bleed out and might be dying. He was so worried. I had to explain to him what periods were and he had never heard of them. I was shocked and explained to him all about the reproductive system and how all girls get them and it turns you into a woman etc

He was amazed listening to me then told me that his sisters and his mam didn't get them! Had to laugh... he also said an ex he had didn't. When I convinced him that they all did his reaction was so funny. That ad reminded me of him and some of the attitudes on this post are hisarous. There is nothing horrible or unnatural about periods. There is something very unnatural to be to want your kids (boys and girls) to be ignorant and so backward.
    There's no one here coming across or claiming to be as ignorant or backward as your ex... But it is a good example of how some people may find that particular advertisement a little ott for a certain generation,.and certainly a certain generation of Irish people. I would say most if not all complaints came from the older generation, which is understandable and fair.

it is a good job you are not judgmental.

I never claimed I'm not judgemental but I'm getting tired of glorification of tack.

There's no one here coming across or claiming to be as ignorant or backward as your ex... But it is a good example of how some people may find that particular advertisement a little ott for a certain generation,.and certainly a certain generation of Irish people. I would say most if not all complaints came from the older generation, which is understandable and fair.

Someone on here said that they didn't want their 9 year old daughter watching the ad. That girl is going to get her period. Others don't think men should have to watch it. That is the height of ignorance far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

This whole thing reminds me of watching an episode of Reeling in the Years. I switched on to it and didn't know what year they were covering. Women were out in the streets protesting at an Ann Summers opening in Dublin. Literal Father Ted "Down with that sort of thing" stuff.

I assumed it was the 80s, and couldn't believe it when it turned out to be 1999.

Hard to believe there's this much controversy over an ad about how to use tampons right in 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Well I deplore all programmes like Love Island and their ilk. Why anyone would watch it I don't know but millions do. And if this ad appeals to young girls who watch those shows and it helps them then it has done some service.

Someone on here said that they didn't want their 9 year old daughter watching the ad. That girl is going to get her period. Others don't think men should have to watch it. That is the height of ignorance far as I am concerned.

Well us Irish had and always will have certain values and taboos that don't just go away over night...no matter what is shoved in our faces through TV etc... That's just how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

KiKi III wrote: »
    This whole thing reminds me of watching an episode of Reeling in the Years. I switched on to it and didn't know what year they were covering. Women were out in the streets protesting at an Ann Summers opening in Dublin. Literal Father Ted "Down with that sort of thing" stuff.

I assumed it was the 80s, and couldn't believe it when it turned out to be 1999.

Hard to believe there's this much controversy over an ad about how to use tampons right in 2020.

It's not an ad 'for how to use tampons right' .Proctor and Gamble didn't make an educational clip out if generosity. It's an ad to flog their sh1tty product.

Well us Irish had and always will have certain values and taboos that don't just go away over night...no matter what is shoved in our faces through TV etc... That's just how it is.

Talking about things openly is exactly how taboos are gotten rid of.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    It's not an ad 'for how to use tampons right' .Proctor and Gamble didn't make an educational clip out if generosity. It's an ad to flog their sh1tty product.

Can it not be both?

I'm not saying it's the best ad of all time, but I still reckon it's a massive improvement on extremely attractive women cycling, rollerblading, trampolining etc in the obligatory white shorts.

And that's the problem right there.

I am Irish! I remember when I got my period my Dad would buy me sanitary towels, chocolate and always be extra nice to me. My parents explained to my brother who was 12 ( I was 11 ) all about what was going on with me. My brother was nice to me. Nobody died of embarrassment!

That was over 30 years ago. My Dad came from Finglas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

sydthebeat wrote: »

She's talkin out her hole tbf... (the other hole!) ;)

There's plenty of ads for women's hygiene products or any other women's products, and people are not bothered by the vast majority of those ads.

I wouldn't consider this particular ad offensive per se... it's just crude and unsophisticated. There is no need to be vulgar in how you describe something. The ad was just completely lacking in any class or discretion.

The fact that many men are quoting the ad in a pi$$ taking sort of way, actually does the issue or women no favours really. It doesn't help to break down any sort of stigma remaining around body issues etc, all it really does is make women's body issues a soft target for crass and cheap jokes...

If you want to make an informative ad, I'm sure there are plenty of ad makers or producers that could have a much better stab at it than that nonsense tbh.

it is certainly how it was. thankfully it has changed and is continuing to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,998 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not offensive, just crude, unsophisticated, cringeworthy

Good thing it's banned so and we can return to advertising as a sophisticated high art form like it was always meant to be.

And that's the problem right there.

I am Irish! I remember when I got my period my Dad would buy me sanitary towels, chocolate and always be extra nice to me. My parents explained to my brother who was 12 ( I was 11 ) all about what was going on with me. My brother was nice to me. Nobody died of embarrassment!

That was over 30 years ago. My Dad came from Finglas.

As lots of parents did with their children.. it's the TV add we're talking about now..the TV add.

• Advertisement

I never claimed I'm not judgemental but I'm getting tired of glorification of tack.

you should complain to proctor and gamble and tell them you dont want to see any more overweight on their ads.

She's talkin out her hole tbf... (the other hole!) ;)

There's plenty of ads for women's hygiene products or any other women's products, and people are not bothered by the vast majority of those ads.

I

Yeah, as long as you don't talk about how the products are actually used or what they're used for people are totally fine with talking about period products :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Are tampons healthy for young ones? I just remember my mom not buying them years ago, seemed to have pads only in the bathrooms. Maybe it was complete ignorance but she, of an older generation was pro pad , anti tampon!

Can it not be both?

I'm not saying it's the best ad of all time, but I still reckon it's a massive improvement on extremely attractive women cycling, rollerblading, trampolining etc in the obligatory white shorts.

I know why people don't like those ads but that's for me exactly the advantage tampons have in comparison to pads. I started using them because I could do swimming in school with no issues.

you should complain to proctor and gamble and tell them you dont want to see any more overweight on their ads.

Yes because that's all I said. I hate fat people.

It'd not that she is overweight it's the whole stereotype of what a relatable woman is supposed to be.

I know why people don't like those ads but that's for me exactly the advantage tampons have in comparison to pads. I started using them because I could do swimming in school with no issues.

It reminds me of a joke I once heard (not a very good one, granted)

Little Johnny went to the shop and asked the shopkeeper for a box of tampons. "Why do you want those?" the shopkeeper asked. "Because I can't swim or cycle and the girls in the ads can when they use these."

While we're on period humour, here's a clip from Daniel Sloss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmxzBqk1nWI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Yeah, as long as you don't talk about how the products are actually used or what they're used for people are totally fine with talking about period products :rolleyes:

That ad wasn't just telling people how to use the product, they were being deliberately crass and obnoxious about it.

Being rude and overly graphic about something such as this, doesn't prove that you are more open about discussing it... it's just shows everyone that you are lacking in class and discretion.

I worked with a girl who liked to blurt out the nitty gritty details of things like periods etc... nobody in that office who had to listen to her brain farts, thought she was super modern or progressive in her attitude... we mostly all just thought she was rude, crass and very uncivilized.

It has nothing to do with embarrassment/shame of women's bodies... and everything to do with having a bit of class as a person!

That ad wasn't just telling people how to use the product, they were being deliberately crass and obnoxious about it.

Being rude and overly graphic about something such as this, doesn't prove that you are more open about discussing it... it's just shows everyone that you are lacking in class and discretion.

It has nothing to do with embarrassment/shame of women's bodies... and everything to do with having a bit of class as a person!

Can you explain exactly what you found crass about it?

Which bit was "rude" and why is it classy to pretend periods don't happen to almost every woman in your life from when they're 12 til they're 50?

Why does it make you so uncomfortable?

Are tampons healthy for young ones? I just remember my mom not buying them years ago, seemed to have pads only in the bathrooms. Maybe it was complete ignorance but she, of an older generation was pro pad , anti tampon!

Very old fashioned fear was that girl's hymen could be broken. It's not/was not relevant for most of us (I'm in my 40s) but in some religious communities that could be a worry for girls. I'm not saying I agree with it but that I think it is behind the idea tampons are not good for young girls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

I've definitely had the exact experience they're talking about in the ad, where I didn't shove the tampon far enough up my gee and was walking around feeling it there as a result. I have no issues with tampons generally, I just needed to get it up there!
    Gee is a funny word, always makes me smile at the very least. I've always felt it should be spelt ghee as gee reads like it's pronounced jee, but the Indians got there before us and named a butter ghee. In Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu the use a uniform called a Gi that's pronounced like gee (Ghee) and amuses me when you hear a commentator say something like "he grabbed him by the gee for leverage" or some such.

Anyhoo I'll mosey on out of here now, I haven't seen the ad this thread is about I'm just bored in work. Good luck with your gee KiKi.

Advertisement