Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tampax ad banned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That ad wasn't just telling people how to use the product, they were being deliberately crass and obnoxious about it.

Being rude and overly graphic about something such as this, doesn't prove that you are more open about discussing it... it's just shows everyone that you are lacking in class and discretion.

I worked with a girl who liked to blurt out the nitty gritty details of things like periods etc... nobody in that office who had to listen to her brain farts, thought she was super modern or progressive in her attitude... we mostly all just thought she was rude, crass and very uncivilized.

It has nothing to do with embarrassment/shame of women's bodies... and everything to do with having a bit of class as a person!

yeah the people here complaining about it have been really classy

vulgar, crass cheap and nasty.
    laughing hyenas aping a bunch of men on a building site
    trampy loudmouth vulgar idiots.
    larger(sic) loutish idiots and have braincells
    shouty thickos with no class or dignity
    loud, wearing too much make up, hair extensions and overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Gee is a funny word, always makes me smile at the very least. I've always felt it should be spelt ghee as gee reads like it's pronounced jee, but the Indians got there before us and named a butter ghee. In Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu the use a uniform called a Gi that's pronounced like gee (Ghee) and amuses me when you hear a commentator say something like "he grabbed him by the gee for leverage" or some such.

Anyhoo I'll mosey on out of here now, I haven't seen the ad this thread is about I'm just bored in work. Good luck with your gee KiKi.

Much obliged :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

KiKi III wrote: »
    Can it not be both?

I'm not saying it's the best ad of all time, but I still reckon it's a massive improvement on extremely attractive women cycling, rollerblading, trampolining etc in the obligatory white shorts.

No. No company advertises a product for altruistic purposes. The sole purpose of advertising is to maximise prophets by 'targeting ' the right niche of the market. The purpose of of this ad is not to help anyone. How does it help someone who doesn't insert far enough because it hurts and her vagina has naturally contracted as a result? It's an attempt to convince that woman that she is the problem, not that an applicator product isn't best suited to her body.'Get 'em up there girls' ='Keep painfully ramming a tampon up your contracted vagina with an applicator - it's normal'

I agree, menstrual hygiene product ads are grating on several levels. If you were to believe them you'd be under the impression that only females between 16 and 25 have periods. I've yet to see an ad with a pre-teenager or a woman in her late 40s being featured. The reality is that a girl can start menstruating at 9 and not have her last period til her early 50s. No sign of that cohort being 'educated" in the ads about the most suitable product to suit their needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

If education is the purpose of these adverts, then surely it should be in instructionally form on the box, so you can get the information during the application of the product?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Yea I thought it was an awful awful ad but 84 complaints and being taken off the air is fairly poor reflection of where we are while thinking we have come so far.

I do wonder if the ad wasn't so bad and used slightly "better" language then get it up there girls would it have gathered as much back lash? I bet it wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭randd1

ziedth wrote: »
    Yea I thought it was an awful awful ad but 84 complaints and being taken off the air is fairly poor reflection of where we are while thinking we have come so far.

I do wonder if the ad wasn't so bad and used slightly "better" language then get it up there girls would it have gathered as much back lash? I bet it wouldn't.

Yeah, I'd doubt the subject was the problem, more so the crass way it was presented, sounded like something a group of young wans would say after a few vodka and whites.

If education is the purpose of these adverts, then surely it should be in instructionally form on the box, so you can get the information during the application of the product?

It is. Lots of info and diagrams in every box that contain all the information you may need.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    No. No company advertises a product for altruistic purposes. The sole purpose of advertising is to maximise prophets by 'targeting ' the right niche of the market. The purpose of of this ad is not to help anyone. How does it help someone who doesn't insert far enough because it hurts and her vagina has naturally contracted as a result? It's an attempt to convince that woman that she is the problem, not that an applicator product isn't best suited to her body.'Get 'em up there girls' ='Keep painfully ramming a tampon up your contracted vagina with an applicator - it's normal'

Oh I'm 100% with you on that. This ad, like all ads, was created to target a particular demographic and boost sales. No argument there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Can you explain exactly what you found crass about it?

Which bit was "rude" and why is it classy to pretend periods don't happen to almost every woman in your life from when they're 12 til they're 50?

Why does it make you so uncomfortable?

Firstly, you are deliberately misrepresenting what I said. I never said anything about it being classy to pretend periods don't happen... you are being obtuse, and it is a sign that you have a very weak argument.

It's not what was said, it's the way in which it was said...

I'm not uncomfortable about women's periods... it's as natural as any other bodily function. I'm uncomfortable around people who are lacking in class and discretion on certain topics. Like I said, blurting stuff out in a rude and uncivilized manner (such as that ad), does not prove that you are more open or modern in your attitude.... it only serves to prove that you are a bit of an uncivilized slob tbh.

The assumption that some people are making, is that people who have a bit of discretion around things like this... well, they must all be ashamed or embarrassed about it... why make such assumptions?

There is a thread on here, where people openly talk in a very crass way about their toilet activities... each to their own and all that, I've read one of two funny comments in there. But just because people choose to talk in such a manner, does not automatically mean that they are more open or modern in their thinking... or that people who choose to be more discreet on such topics, are less open or less comfortable about such issues.

These are assumptions being made about people, who quite often just don't feel the need be quite so loud or in-your-face about things.... I'm not in denial that everyone goes to the toilet... I just don't feel the need to blurt it out in an uncivilized or obnoxious manner!

I have a bit more class than that... and I feel the same way about that tampax ad... it's just crass and unclassy/uncivilized in it's delivery.

Firstly, you are deliberately misrepresenting what I said. I never said anything about it being classy to pretend periods don't happen... you are being obtuse, and it is a sign that you have a very weak argument.

It's not what was said, it's the way in which it was said...

I'm not uncomfortable about women's periods... it's as natural as any other bodily function. I'm uncomfortable around people who are lacking in class and discretion on certain topics. Like I said, blurting stuff out in a rude and uncivilized manner (such as that ad), does not prove that you are more open or modern in your attitude.... it only serves to prove that you are a bit of an uncivilized slob tbh.

The assumption that some people are making, is that people who have a bit of discretion around things like this... well, they must all be ashamed or embarrassed about it... why make such assumptions?

There is a thread on here, where people openly talk in a very crass way about their toilet activities... each to their own and all that, I've read one of two funny comments in there. But just because people choose to talk in such a manner, does not automatically mean that they are more open or modern in their thinking... or that people who choose to be more discreet on such topics, are less open or less comfortable about such issues.

These are assumptions being made about people, who quite often just don't feel the need be quite so loud or in-your-face about things.... I'm not in denial that everyone goes to the toilet... I just don't feel the need to blurt it out in an uncivilized or obnoxious manner!

I have a bit more class than that... and I feel the same way about that tampax ad... it's just crass and unclassy/uncivilized in it's delivery.

That's an awful lot of words to say "periods are icky".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

That's an awful lot of words to say "periods are icky".

You're the only one who is coming across as being immature... :rolleyes:

Lack of tact or lack of discretion with certain things, is actually a very obvious sign of lesser intelligence and a lack of maturity. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I think if the add was more subtle and toned down slightly then it would be fine.. that's all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Can you explain exactly what you found crass about it?

Which bit was "rude" and why is it classy to pretend periods don't happen to almost every woman in your life from when they're 12 til they're 50?

Why does it make you so uncomfortable?

I imagine it is much the same as not discussing bowel movements with colleagues.

Or maybe it is a deep hatred for those who poop????

You seem to want to put words in people's mouths ("uncomfortable"...) and characterise everybody who disagrees with you as being a weirdo. Please bring the debate to a more adult level. We all see through that played out tactic at this stage and it cheapens every discussion into a cat and mouse game of defending/attacking valor while losing all focus on the point.

i_surge wrote: »
    I imagine it is much the same as not discussing bowel movements with colleagues.

It's not. The ad doesn't discuss the movement of the endometrium at all. It only talks about the tampon and that the tampon should be properly inserted 'up there'. It doesn't even say vagina or vulva.

If we're going to do the 'bowel movement' equivalency - saying you're on your period is the equivalent of saying you need to go the bathroom. Talking about tampons is the same as talking about toilet paper. And IF toilet paper was very difficult for some people to figure out and came in plenty of shapes and sizes that needed to be understood, I'm sure people would be glad of the information.

There IS a leaflet, which you read maybe the first time or second time you buy a box. Some of those plastic applicators are particularly tricky as there's a two-part pushy bit that you have to extend open until it clicks into place before pushing it in 'up to the grip'. Especially if you're at work and you just threw a handful of tampons in your bag, people aren't bringing the instructions with them everywhere. And frankly, since women are taught not to talk about their period pain, women who are putting them in wrong will often assume that the pain is normal and just has to be borne.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

ollkiller wrote: »
    Weird me hole. Tango ads were weird. Ciara Kelly's vid on newstalk summed it up perfectly.. Gobshytes saying under 18's shouldn't see this ad. Girls get periods from the age of 9 upwards. Anyone and I mean anyone giving out about this ad wants to keep up the shameful practice of shaming women in this country. Women have periods. Deal with it. If this ad helped one young girl then it was worth it.

Utter nonsense...

The ad is nothing to do with information. For chrissake, this is the 21st century, not the darK ages.....information and advice and all that is all easily and readily available everywhere

The ad wanted to be controversial, and did so in a crass/vulgar way.....

Nothing to do with shaming women....more nonsense. It's just about having some element of standards and decorum in society......

But, today, when you try to espouse this, you are labeled a prude or a stickler.....

As if girls and women are now thinking thank god I saw this ad...I feel so informed now.....

So yes, it is weird, because it's so contrived and deliberately crass/vulgar in its language, and more so because of the emphasis on the language

Am I offended by it? No.....little offends me in this day and age......world is mad..

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

All the guys in here raging about snowflakes and "political correctness gone mad" while simultaneously getting outraged by a tampon advert. Yeah, that sounds about right. Never change, guys. Never change.

It's not. The ad doesn't discuss the movement of the endometrium at all. It only talks about the tampon and that the tampon should be properly inserted 'up there'. It doesn't even say vagina or vulva.

If we're going to do the 'bowel movement' equivalency - saying you're on your period is the equivalent of saying you need to go the bathroom. Talking about tampons is the same as talking about toilet paper. And IF toilet paper was very difficult for some people to figure out and came in plenty of shapes and sizes that needed to be understood, I'm sure people would be glad of the information.

There IS a leaflet, which you read maybe the first time or second time you buy a box. Some of those plastic applicators are particularly tricky as there's a two-part pushy bit that you have to extend open until it clicks into place before pushing it in 'up to the grip'. Especially if you're at work and you just threw a handful of tampons in your bag, people aren't bringing the instructions with them everywhere. And frankly, since women are taught not to talk about their period pain, women who are putting them in wrong will often assume that the pain is normal and just has to be borne.

I think you missed the point.

Anyway you are free to talk about the technicalities all day long at work if you want, plenty do that with their dumps but some others find them crass. Such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

All the guys in here raging about snowflakes and "political correctness gone mad" while simultaneously getting outraged by a tampon advert. Yeah, that sounds about right. Never change, guys. Never change.

The two don't have to conflate.

Standards and decorum can exist without snowflakes.....

Snowflakes don't have to have anything to do with men thinking this as to be crass/vulgar and unnecessary....and it's not just men who may think it.

Who knew crassness was such a major issue?

I didn't find the ad particularly crass myself, but even if it was, a little bit of crassness isn't the end of the world.

What do you call a group of snowflakes? An avalance?

You meant to say "people"...both men and women have given their opinion for and against the ad. Mixed bag.

We are all sick and tired of the efforts to create war between the genders, thanks.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »

As if girls and women are now thinking thank god I saw this ad...I feel so informed now.....

But that’s exactly what happened. The ad is about Tampax compact pearl. Women found they were having issues with the product and stopped buying it. Tampax had to do a new campaign showing the click part in order to generate new sales.

Most women would buy a box and take the tampons out of box and divide them between their bag and bathroom. They don’t read the instructions every time they purchase the same thing. Seeing as the click component had not been highlighted women had no reason to believe it was a different to any other tampax applicator process.

Anyhoo. It’s not gonna affect my day now the ad has gone. I took from the ad what I needed too.

I haven’t bought the product since so no idea if they’ve changed the packaging to highlight the click element of the applicator.

Now, where did I hide my roller blades????

But that’s exactly what happened. The ad is about Tampax compact pearl. Women found they were having issues with the product and stopped buying it. Tampax had to do a new campaign showing the click part in order to generate new sales.

Most women would buy a box and take the tampons out of box and divide them between their bag and bathroom. They don’t read the instructions every time they purchase the same thing. Seeing as the click component had not been highlighted women had no reason to believe it was a different to any other tampax applicator process.

Speak for yourself. This woman thought 'fUK you, Tampax. I'm not falling for your gimmick. Making sure the applicator clicks ain't gonna make your sh1te product any easier to use or any good at doing what it's supposed to do. I'm not stupid. You're product is uncomfortable because it's inferior '

You're the only one who is coming across as being immature... :rolleyes:

Lack of tact or lack of discretion with certain things, is actually a very obvious sign of lesser intelligence and a lack of maturity. ;)

Next time just say "yes, you got me, i am uncomfortable with periods and in fact i hate women, even my own mother"

Don't rise to the rabblerousing clickbait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

It's not about outrage, there's a time and place to be advertising about the advantages of a product to enhance comfort in your wobbly bits.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Speak for yourself. This woman thought 'fUK you, Tampax. I'm not falling for your gimmick. Making sure the applicator clicks ain't gonna make your sh1te product any easier to use or any good at doing what it's supposed to do. I'm not stupid. You're product is uncomfortable because it's inferior '

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I would love to see Durex to release an ad saying "pinch the tip, roll it down to his bollix and shove it up there girls"

It would make for an interesting thread, it's only condoms and sex.

Shemale wrote: »
    I would love to see Durex to release an ad saying "pinch the tip, roll it down to his bollix and shove it up there girls"

It would make for an interesting thread, it's only condoms and sex.

The new ads about not going back to normal are good to see. Huge chance to improve the STD scene after lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

All the guys? Just the guys? Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Anyhoo. It’s not gonna affect my day now the ad has gone. I took from the ad what I needed too.

I haven’t bought the product since so no idea if they’ve changed the packaging to highlight the click element of the applicator.

Now, where did I hide my roller blades????

That’s the unfortunate takeaway most people will get from this ad. Sure, I thought it was vulgar, crass and tacky, but at the same time it gave myself and my mates something else to wind each other up with -

Randomly inserting “Not just the tip, up to the grip” into the conversation we drive each other bananas :pac:

Being vulgar, crass and tacky is the whole point we take the piss out of the ad, and each other. It’s really nothing to do with “shame about periods”, we just plant that mental image, like the advertisement does, and in response to being told to fcuk off when someone is visibly annoyed by being told “not just the tip...”, the response is a serious looking “you gotta get ‘em up there girl” (they’ve said it to me too, often when they’d be slagging me about being on my “man period” :rolleyes:).

No “shame” about periods, they know I have no interest in their periods, I’d consider it fcuking weird if I were actually to ask my mates about their periods, and they sure as hell would consider it weird too if I were actually serious - Jessica Yanniv territory!

I don’t find the ad the least bit offensive, it’s just vulgar, same as I find the Amy Schumer effort linked to earlier is vulgar and too “try-hard”, with the intent of going viral. I’ve no doubt it appeals to some people, I’m just not sure who, I can only imagine they’re a bunch of brainless twats, much like the way myself and my mates behave when we’re taking the piss out of each other.

I find it difficult to imagine the ad or adverts like it could be viewed in the same way as performing an educational public service, let alone a way to have a conversation with children about periods.

Defending the advert simply makes it sound like that was the best they could do, and if that’s the best they can do to sell a product, it’s no wonder more and more of my friends are ditching tampons in favour of mooncups and reusable cloth pads, because they’re not just conscious of the fact that tampons are a pain in the hole (literally, in some cases), they’re also terrible for the environment apparently.

Advertisement