Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tampax ad banned

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

storker wrote: »
    All the guys? Just the guys? Really?
    Yeah in fairness the vast majority of people complaining about it on Facebook discussions are women.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Everybody's outraged but me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

That is a very powerful advert! It is about time that women's bodies be shown in a truthful way, no blue water and roller skating. This advert is a strong declaration of what womanhood is.

Good ad, but the lesbian couple with the home water birth was trying too hard for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

All the guys in here raging about snowflakes and "political correctness gone mad" while simultaneously getting outraged by a tampon advert. Yeah, that sounds about right. Never change, guys. Never change.

Most of the complaints were from women. But I guess men are somehow to blame for that as well.

All that internalized misogyny I suppose?

It's part of cancel culture and cancel culture is largely a female agenda. You got to take the blame for this one yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

osarusan wrote: »

Whats wrong with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

How can it be inoffensive with kids watching?without periods most of them wouldn't exist.
    The girls are going to experience periods eventually. Better that they have as much information as possible beforehand.

Q

• Registered Users Posts: 20,998 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm making my daughters wait till they're 18 to have their periods so we don't have to have the dirty talk when they're underage.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Personally I thought it was a bit inappropriate for kids. It was broadcast when my 9 year old was watching tv - She didn't need to be watching that bollox

Children as young as 9 get periods for Christ’s sake.

Mad that people think it’s inappropriate. It’s something that most women have to deal with every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

osarusan wrote: »

That's just not on, how can we change that for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Stark wrote: »
    I'm making my daughters wait till they're 18 to have their periods so we don't have to have the dirty talk when they're underage.

The world would be a better place if all parents were this responsible.

• Advertisement

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Bodyforrrrm - shaped for confidence, shaped for freshness... shaped for yoooooooou!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

My 8 year old is well aware of periods for years now because she's been in the bathroom with me on countless occasions. She asked and I told her the basics. I'm glad it won't be a big deal to explain to her later on, its something perfectly normal and expected to her, not some disgusting shameful thing. I was too too embarrassed to even tell my mam that I had started my periods and hid it for a few months. I'd hate to think that she would ever do the same. I dont see anything wrong with kids knowing about menstruation, most will just take it in and shrug it off. They won't be traumatised ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Bodyforrrrm - shaped for confidence, shaped for freshness... shaped for yoooooooou!

I reckon the big roar at the start is a result of using Tampax, "Woooah hooah! I should a stuck to Bodyforrrrm"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    My 8 year old is well aware of periods for years now because she's been in the bathroom with me on countless occasions. She asked and I told her the basics. I'm glad it won't be a big deal to explain to her later on, its something perfectly normal and expected to her, not some disgusting shameful thing. I dont see anything wrong with kids knowing about menstruation, most will just take it in and shrug it off. They won't be traumatised ffs.

Indeed. Far more traumatising then leaving it til it's too late. My mother neglected to mention the whole menstruation part if being female, despite one older sister being nine and the other 10 at menarche. Never even entered her head to ask either of those (both much older) or my Aunt who, was a nurse, to educate me on what was very obviously about to happen any day now. Thankfully, my friend broke the news when I was 12, a whole week before mine arrived. Not much time to get used to the idea before it became reality. My mother was also of the 'tampons rob your virginity ' school of thought.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    My 8 year old is well aware of periods for years now because she's been in the bathroom with me on countless occasions. She asked and I told her the basics. I'm glad it won't be a big deal to explain to her later on, its something perfectly normal and expected to her, not some disgusting shameful thing. I was too too embarrassed to even tell my mam that I had started my periods and hid it for a few months. I'd hate to think that she would ever do the same. I dont see anything wrong with kids knowing about menstruation, most will just take it in and shrug it off. They won't be traumatised ffs.
    I think people just mean the, in their opinion, "bawdy" tone of this particular ad though, not ads about menstrual hygiene products in general, or about menstruation in and of itself. There aren't complaints about ads for other tampons/sanitary towels.

Personally I think the language in the ad is a little advanced for young kids, but don't see anything wrong with educating girls young.

And banning the ad instead of just showing it later is hilarious. Especially from those who in other contexts show such concern for freedom of speech/expression. I turn the sound off or change the channel for so many ads. That's one of the beauties of the remote control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

There's an ad about constipation talking about blockages and the like. Periods are no more or less scandalous to discuss. The problem is many of us were raised under the censorship of the church and can't get out from under it. The worst that can happen is girls grow up not feeling embarrassed about a natural bodily function. Wasn't a great ad but not ban worthy. It's an embarrassment it was banned.

As was pointed out elsewhere the ads with women playing tennis and cycling wearing white jumpsuits and the like were the insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Faugheen wrote: »
    Children as young as 9 get periods for Christ’s sake.

Mad that people think it’s inappropriate. It’s something that most women have to deal with every month.

If you're dependent on adverts to educate your daughter about periods there's something wrong with your parenting, it's up to individual parents to allow what their children see on television

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you're dependent on adverts to educate your daughter about periods there's something wrong with your parenting, it's up to individual parents to allow what their children see on television

That's not what was said.

Are regulators to ban all product commercials from any information on how to use said products in advertising? Hey Colgate, you're banned from telling people how to brush and floss! Head-On, youre barred from telling people to apply directly to the forehead! Next then, ban commercials from demonstrating how to hold and open a bottle of soda or beer, using your hands to eat a burger?

I don't know about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Bowie wrote: »
    There's an ad about constipation talking about blockages and the like. Periods are no more or less scandalous to discuss. The problem is many of us were raised under the censorship of the church and can't get out from under it. The worst that can happen is girls grow up not feeling embarrassed about a natural bodily function. Wasn't a great ad but not ban worthy. It's an embarrassment it was banned.

As was pointed out elsewhere the ads with women playing tennis and cycling wearing white jumpsuits and the like were the insult.

Different people have different problems with the ad? For me it has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with the fact that it’s just patronising, hence the reason myself and my mates take the piss and wind each other up about it - because it’s patronising, and vulgar. It goes against all sorts of norms where people don’t generally inform others of their intimate bodily functions.

The worst that can happen is that anyone who doesn’t want to share the details of their bodily functions is made to feel like there’s something wrong with them for not wanting to have those sorts of conversations with other people. It’s exactly that same sort of logic that Jessica Yanniv used to creep on teenage girls asking them questions about their periods and the products they use. Most people will see that as weird behaviour.

Of course it was silly to ban it because now it’s got the Barbara Streisand effect and it’s being portrayed as an attempt to silence women who want everyone to discuss periods and all that involves from their perspective. It’s as though it never occurs to them that people just don’t want to, because they’re not interested. It’s no different than me saying to someone I don’t want to hear about whatever they think I should be interested in and want to listen to. I’d be aware of it already if I was interested in the topic.

A tacky advert from a multi-billion dollar company who clearly don’t think much of their customers that their advertising budget must be about one dollar to come up with that awful advert should never have been portrayed in the same vein as trying to get people to take menstrual healthcare seriously. It just misses the mark so so badly, and isn’t any different to the ads with the close up shots of women’s arses (I didn’t complain then either :pac:), the virginal white knickers shots, ad nauseum.

It was just more of the same patronising nonsense that portrayed women as a bit thick, that they need guidance from people who “know better”, namely a multi-billion dollar company that creates the problem in the first place, and then tries sells the solution to an over-engineered product by blaming it’s target demographic for their inability to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

best advertising they ever got

• Advertisement

Different people have different problems with the ad? For me it has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with the fact that it’s just patronising, hence the reason myself and my mates take the piss and wind each other up about it - because it’s patronising, and vulgar. It goes against all sorts of norms where people don’t generally inform others of their intimate bodily functions.

It's tacky and could have been better executed - but vulgar? Huh? It's only as vulgar as a charmin commercial.

Or less, than any number of Trojan commercials

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Overheal wrote: »
    That's not what was said.

Are regulators to ban all product commercials from any information on how to use said products in advertising? Hey Colgate, you're banned from telling people how to brush and floss! Head-On, youre barred from telling people to apply directly to the forehead! Next then, ban commercials from demonstrating how to hold and open a bottle of soda or beer, using your hands to eat a burger?

I don't know about that.

I dont have an issue with the ad, my point is the poster seemed to take exception to the parent not deeming the ad suitable for a 9 year old, surely its up to the parent as to what she can watch on television, we're aware 9 year olds can get periods, the thing is they thought it inappropriate for her viewing, which is down to parenting style, they might prefer to educate their daughter about periods in another manner

• Registered Users Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Overheal wrote: »
    It's tacky and could have been better executed - but vulgar? Huh? It's only as vulgar as a charmin commercial.

Ok, “vulgarity for vulgarity sake” I should have said, because that’s exactly what makes it tacky and could have been better executed. As it is, it just comes off as “hey ladies, we can be equally vulgar as men who talk about their itchy ballsacks!”

Vulgarity when it’s executed well, is an advertisers dream, and there are numerous examples of vulgarity used to best effect in advertising. One of my favourite examples is the advert for the squatty potty -

I bought one following a hip replacement, and they’re nothing short of a miracle, just not normally something I evangelise about :D

I dont have an issue with the ad, my point is the poster seemed to take exception to the parent not deeming the ad suitable for a 9 year old, surely its up to the parent as to what she can watch on television, we're aware 9 year olds can get periods, the thing is they thought it inappropriate for her viewing, which is down to parenting style, they might prefer to educate their daughter about periods in another manner

I don't think anything in the ad warrants being placed under a watershed, imho.

edit: Jack, yes, that ad was effective, not only do we own squatty potties for both bathrooms (works as advertised) we've also tried out their unicorn gold (also effective) which we gave out as stocking stuffers at christmas one year. Well received after chuckles :) we've considered the bidet, the price on all those shot up during the TP shortage

Ok, “vulgarity for vulgarity sake” I should have said, because that’s exactly what makes it tacky and could have been better executed. As it is, it just comes off as “hey ladies, we can be equally vulgar as men who talk about their itchy ballsacks!”

Though now I'm reminded of this ad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Hang on a minute now
    #scractchyballs
    #thestruggleisreal

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

walshb wrote: »
    The two don't have to conflate.

Standards and decorum can exist without snowflakes.....

Snowflakes don't have to have anything to do with men thinking this as to be crass/vulgar and unnecessary....and it's not just men who may think it.

First off, we don't need you as a gatekeeper to all things "nice and decorous", but thanks for offering.

Secondly, only 84 people complained about the advertisement which is really not very many at all. The response to those complaints has been absurd.

Finally, I hadn't actually seen the ad when I last commented here. Now I have. Literally, all the woman says is "get them up there, girls". That is it. And you are seriously shaming women for this? Honestly, you need to get a grip. The way some people were carrying on you'd think the ad involved great gouts of blood and menstrual mess oozing straight from the uterus. But it's not. It's just a woman giving light-hearted advice on how to insert a tampon (which many women struggle with).

You're all very good at lecturing "snowflakes" and "libtards", but if you find this advert offensive, you are just being ridiculous. Take your own advice and quit the hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

lol... again with the "shaming women" ??

Who is shaming women?

The ad was clearly removed because the wording and descriptions used was crass and vulgar. But some people seem to be deluded enough to think that the way you word things doesn't matter. (perhaps because they talk in a very similar vulgar way themselves - so see no problem with it?)

If you want to give women advice on how to insert tampons, then there is a classy discreet way to do it.. and then there is the trashy uncivilized rude approach. This ad clearly falls into the latter category.

If the wording of things didn't matter... then why even bother with the stupid names for some of these products... dispense with the nonsense and just call them fanny or pu$$y plugs! Oh yeah, because we all know truthfully that the wording of things does matter!

The only thing that could have saved this ad, is if they managed to insert some comedy into it. (Excuse the pun)... But then they would have to find a talented female comedy writer... good luck with that one! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

lol... again with the "shaming women" ??

Who is shaming women?

The ad was clearly removed because the wording and descriptions used was crass and vulgar. But some people seem to be deluded enough to think that the way you word things doesn't matter. (perhaps because they talk in a very similar vulgar way themselves - so see no problem with it?)

If you want to give women advice on how to insert tampons, then there is a classy discreet way to do it.. and then there is the trashy uncivilized rude approach. This ad clearly falls into the latter category.

If the wording of things didn't matter... then why even bother with the stupid names for some of these products... dispense with the nonsense and just call them fanny or pu$$y plugs! Oh yeah, because we all know truthfully that the wording of things does matter!

The only thing that could have saved this ad, is if they managed to insert some comedy into it. (Excuse the pun)... But then they would have to find a talented female comedy writer... good luck with that one! :P

“Get it up there” is a very accurate description of the solution to the problem they’re describing. If you don’t push it up far enough it’s really uncomfortable. I genuinely don’t see what’s crass or vulgar about that phrase. It means exactly what it says; if you interpreted it as sexual that’s on you.

Not even going to take the bait on your last little dig, suffice to say you let the mask drop there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭The White Feather

People here seem to have gone down the road that the ad was banned for being crass or demeaning/shaming women when it was actually just banned for causing offence. Code requires an ad "to not cause grave or widespread offence" They actually found nothing wrong with the ad but just note that a lot of people did. It seems strange as that seems to mean to me that if you get enough people to complain about any ad it will be removed even if they think nothing is wrong with it.

In total there were 150 complaints and from a widespread of people. 84% were from women and 17% from men.

Advertisement