Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tampax ad banned

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

KiKi III wrote: »
    “Get it up there” is a very accurate description of the solution to the problem they’re describing. If you don’t push it up far enough it’s really uncomfortable. I genuinely don’t see what’s crass or vulgar about that phrase. It means exactly what it says; if you interpreted it as sexual that’s on you.

Not even going to take the bait on your last little dig, suffice to say you let the mask drop there.
    "

84% female complaints and it all gets boiled down to men shaming women. Brainwashed beyond belief into man hating. Some of ye need to get off the internet, take a deep breath and open a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

i_surge wrote: »
    "

84% female complaints and it all gets boiled down to men shaming women. Brainwashed beyond belief into man hating. Some of ye need to get off the internet, take a deep breath and open a book.

I didn’t say anything about men in that post you quoted so I have no idea what you’re on about.

Bit confusing sorry, it was in response to your response to the person talking about men shaming women.

I think you were alluding to men being uncomfortable with periods though, a similarly unfair simplification of a complex issue with the same theme of mistrust in the opposite sex I suppose.

Bit confusing sorry, it was in response to your response to the person talking about men shaming women.

I think you were alluding to men being uncomfortable with periods though, a similarly unfair simplification of a complex issue with the same theme of mistrust in the opposite sex I suppose.

There’s quite a bit of evidence of both men and women being uncomfortable with periods on this thread, it’s nothing to do with my feelings towards either gender - it’s very apparent if you just read back through.

There’s quite a bit of evidence of both men and women being uncomfortable with periods on this thread, it’s nothing to do with my feelings towards either gender - it’s very apparent if you just read back through.

Ok I did check back in good faith and you mentioned men specifically the first time and lazily lobbed that accusation twice after that.

Unconscious biases

• Advertisement

Ok I did check back in good faith and you mentioned men specifically the first time and lazily lobbed that accusation twice after that.

Unconscious biases

There are definitely unconscious biases at play here, but they aren't mine.

I've posted about 30 times on this thread over the last few days, I've talked about "people" repeatedly, and only mentioned men twice, specifically responding to how men on this thread were reacting.

You're projecting your own sh1t onto me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

There are definitely unconcious biases at play here, but they aren't mine.

I've posted about 30 times on this thread over the last few days, I've talked about "people" repeatedly, and only mentioned men twice, specifically responding to how men on this thread were reacting.

You're projecting your own sh1t onto me.

Nah, I think they're right... you do seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder regarding men's attitudes to periods.

Your comments towards myself in that respect, have been lazy and childish generalizations. You have poorly interpreted my posts, more than likely based on your own biases and preconceptions.

I grew up with three sisters, I'm about as comfortable around these kinds of issues as you're likely to find in the male population.

I don't find periods "Icky" as you so immaturely stated earlier... far from it, in fact if the gf is feeling up to it... they make no difference to me! :D (I'm much better than pain meds!;))

Nah, I think they're right... you do seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder regarding men's attitudes to periods.

Your comments towards myself in that respect, have been lazy and childish generalizations. You have poorly interpreted my posts, more than likely based on your own biases and preconceptions.

I grew up with three sisters, I'm about as comfortable around these kinds of issues as you're likely to find in the male population.

I don't find periods "Icky" as you so immaturely stated earlier... far from it, in fact if the gf is feeling up to it... they make no difference to me! :D (I'm much better than pain meds!;))

Mate, two posts back you went for a cheap dig about there being no good female comic writers so I don’t think you’re in a particularly strong position to be up so very high on that horse of yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Personally I thought it was a bit inappropriate for kids. It was broadcast when my 9 year old was watching tv - She didn't need to be watching that bollox

Are you being sarcastic? You know most girls start their periods between age 10 and age 15? Some start as young as 8, and the average age is coming down.

So you might be wrong about what she needs to be watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

volchitsa wrote: »
    Are you being sarcastic? You know most girls start their periods between age 10 and age 15? Some start as young as 8, and the average age is coming down.

So you might be wrong about what she needs to be watching.

What has the age of a child starting her period to do with it?

The ad is not appropriate for 8 and 9 year old girls, and nothing to do with the age of mensuration that some children begin...

This nonsense argument is baffling...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Mate, two posts back you went for a cheap dig about there being no good female comic writers so I don’t think you’re in a particularly strong position to be up so very high on that horse of yours.

What's that got to do with anything?

Again, another lazy assumption on your part...

I don't rate female comedians. The same way I don't particularly rate female soccer players compared with their male counterparts... I don't think they're as talented.

Doesn't mean I have any problem with women in general... you've just extrapolated that out in your head, and assumed (falsely) that I'm anti-women.

Perhaps you should try thinking before you begin typing! ;)

walshb wrote: »

The ad is not appropriate for 8 and 9 year old girls, and nothing to do with the age of mensuration that some children begin...

Where do you think 9 or 10 year old girls who don't have mothers, or don't have mothers they can talk to about this stuff should turn to?

It's not taught in schools at that age. Would you expect a 9 year old to do her own independent online research on the topic? Or more likely, expect her to just figure it out herself?

What's that got to do with anything?

Again, another lazy assumption on your part...

I don't rate female comedians. The same way I don't particularly rate female soccer players compared with their male counterparts... I don't think they're as talented.

Doesn't mean I have any problem with women in general... you've just extrapolated that out in your head, and assumed (falsely) that I'm anti-women.

Perhaps you should try thinking before you begin typing! ;)

I didn't make any assumption, I just recalled something you said an hour ago and pointed out you're in no position to be calling anyone immature.

Have a good bank holiday Sunday, oíche mhaith :rolleyes:

Do they not teach this stuff in schools and why not? I agree that young girls should have access to the right info if the family structure can't provide it in some circumstances.

I haven't seen the ad, but it doesn't sound like it is aiming to inform about the birds and bees in the slightest.

I didn't make any assumption, I just recalled something you said an hour ago and pointed out you're in no position to be calling anyone immature.

Have a good bank holiday Sunday, oíche mhaith :rolleyes:

You directly said to him "that's a lot of words for saying periods are icky" or something similar.

You could always just apologise.

You directly said to him "that's a lot of words for saying periods are icky" or something similar.

You could always just apologise.

I could, and if I was sorry I would, but I'm not so I won't.

That was my somewhat tongue-in-cheek interpretation of what he said, he can like it or lump it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Just another form of period shame for ladies, not surprised at all.

Women always have to suppress things that are natural to them, it's looked down upon to be in the natural state, whether it's hairy armpits, legs, vagina, or talking about periods.

Women just have to pretend these things don't exist, do it or talk about it in secret. As if it's shameful that our bodies work the way they are supposed to.

It's okay for men to be open about their bodies, their natural state, or their 'needs'

Why do women always have to hide away?

The ad was just an ad, describing how to use a tampon. I pity younger girls out there with no access to social media, or a phone, that don't have a woman nearby to show them how to do these things.

It's also okay for TV ads to air the likes of 'Lovehoney' or 'Playblue' Ads showing people how to use lubricant, or a condom or a sex toy for example. Hmm

Some girls have already gotten their periods by the time they have the 'Talk' in school. I got mine in 5th class, and we only had the talk a few months later. Luckily I had my mam at home, and a female teacher.

Many young girls out there don't, and if they already feel like this kind of thing is shameful and to be kept a secret, then they are doomed.

Yes, the ad, and the wording was 'cringey' but definitely not disgusting or suitable to get banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Why don't they just change the channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Have you seen Rick and Morty? that isn't appropriate for 9 nine yrs olds.

There are LOTS Of things on tv that are not suitable for 9 yr olds and on quite early.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Of course it’s appropriate, how could it not be? There are little girls that age already having periods.
    It’s their reality.
    It wouldn’t be such a taboo and frightening experience for them if it was more normalised.

My goddaughter was 9 when she got hers, and she wasn’t even the first, one of her classmates got her first period the week of her Holy Communion aged 8!

There is no reason for boys and girls of that age to not know about periods, or tampons and pads.
    It’s natural and nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about.

I remember the stress of being in secondary school (not that long ago) and trying to sneak a pad out of my schoolbag and up my sleeve before I went to the bathroom, so the boys wouldn’t notice me doing it and embarrass me.
    Or trying to quietly open the pad wrapper without others in the bathroom hearing, praying someone would run a tap or turn on the the hand dryer to hide the noise.
    Swimming was the worst, because if a girl ever had to sit it out cause it was their time of month there was always a few smart comments.

There was nothing embarrassing about any of it in hindsight but kids & teenagers are so sensitive, especially about bodily functions.
    The younger kids are exposed to these things the better.

Women make up 50% of the population and the vast majority of men will have a close relationship with a woman over the course of their lives, whether it be their mothers or sisters, or girlfriend/wife.
    It would do them no harm to get used to the idea from young age, and for more realistic information to be advertised for the girls.
    The slim grinning woman prancing about the tennis court in a tiny white dress just isn’t representative of the experience of most women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Of course it’s appropriate, how could it not be? There are little girls that age already having periods.
    It’s their reality.
    It wouldn’t be such a taboo and frightening experience for them if it was more normalised.

My goddaughter was 9 when she got hers, and she wasn’t even the first, one of her classmates got her first period the week of her Holy Communion aged 8!

There is no reason for boys and girls of that age to not know about periods, or tampons and pads.
    It’s natural and nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about.

I remember the stress of being in secondary school (not that long ago) and trying to sneak a pad out of my schoolbag and up my sleeve before I went to the bathroom, so the boys wouldn’t notice me doing it and embarrass me.
    Or trying to quietly open the pad wrapper without others in the bathroom hearing, praying someone would run a tap or turn on the the hand dryer to hide the noise.
    Swimming was the worst, because if a girl ever had to sit it out cause it was their time of month there was always a few smart comments.

There was nothing embarrassing about any of it in hindsight but kids & teenagers are so sensitive, especially about bodily functions.
    The younger kids are exposed to these things the better.

Women make up 50% of the population and the vast majority of men will have a close relationship with a woman over the course of their lives, whether it be their mothers or sisters, or girlfriend/wife.
    It would do them no harm to get used to the idea from young age, and for more realistic information to be advertised for the girls.
    The slim grinning woman prancing about the tennis court in a tiny white dress just isn’t representative of the experience of most women.

Are you for real? Do you seriously believe that ad used appropriate dialogue to explain periods to primary school girls?

Only an extremist, who will do anything to create/win a fight for female rights would use little children as their weapons which is what is being done here because there is no way that this ad is targeting young girls or was made to educate them. It will scare them more than anything.

The hilarious thing about your post is that you think the more that teenage boys know about periods, the less they will tease girls about it. Do you know anything about kids? This ad will give them a year's worth of ammunition.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Are you for real? Do you seriously believe that ad used appropriate dialogue to explain periods to primary school girls?

Only an extremist, who will do anything to create/win a fight for female rights would use little children as their weapons which is what is being done here because there is no way that this ad is targeting young girls or was made to educate them. It will scare them more than anything.

The hilarious thing about your post is that you think the more that teenage boys know about periods, the less they will tease girls about it. Do you know anything about kids? This ad will give them a year's worth of ammunition.

...what was so offensive about the ad that it needed to be pulled, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Just another form of period shame for ladies, not surprised at all.

Women always have to suppress things that are natural to them, it's looked down upon to be in the natural state, whether it's hairy armpits, legs, vagina, or talking about periods.

Women just have to pretend these things don't exist, do it or talk about it in secret. As if it's shameful that our bodies work the way they are supposed to.

It's okay for men to be open about their bodies, their natural state, or their 'needs'

Why do women always have to hide away?

The ad was just an ad, describing how to use a tampon. I pity younger girls out there with no access to social media, or a phone, that don't have a woman nearby to show them how to do these things.

It's also okay for TV ads to air the likes of 'Lovehoney' or 'Playblue' Ads showing people how to use lubricant, or a condom or a sex toy for example. Hmm

Some girls have already gotten their periods by the time they have the 'Talk' in school. I got mine in 5th class, and we only had the talk a few months later. Luckily I had my mam at home, and a female teacher.

Many young girls out there don't, and if they already feel like this kind of thing is shameful and to be kept a secret, then they are doomed.

Yes, the ad, and the wording was 'cringey' but definitely not disgusting or suitable to get banned.

Any advertisement for a product dealing with bodily functions is done in an airbrushed way. For example, toilet paper is usually advertised with an animated bear or cute Labrador puppies, instead of a hungover bloke on the jacks the day after a feed of Guinness. Men’s Gillette razor ads usually show a blade gliding across a completely hairless face. If you want to impress me show me the razor shaving a gorilla. Head and shoulder ads have Claudia winkleman and her silky hair instead of a bloke who every time he turns his head it’s like frosty the snowman.

Even gaviscon has animated fire fighters instead of a bloke doubled over with toxic indigestion.

I do agree though that any products such as tampax or body form always has the most athletic and upbeat woman swimming, skiing or mountain climbing instead of someone in a dressing gown, hot water bottle on their tummy and a look that would frighten Jeffrey Dahmer. Even funnier is they always use blue liquid to show the absorption of the product. Imagine a boardroom full of men in an advertising agency who nervously suggest using blue liquid as the right colour disgusts them.

The ad in question, shove it up their girls looks like a comedy sketch. When I first saw it I thought it was from the fast show and was waiting for a cheesy peas sketch to follow up.

Now being a bloke I have no clue if this was a recognised health issue that required blanket remediation. The ad being banned (is it fully banned cause I thought i saw it a few times post watershed) is crazy. It wasn’t offensive or provocative. If there was a worry that kids would ask what it meant and putting dad in an uncomfortable position, then it was doing what it was meant to. But I don’t think advertisements are a good way of instruction. Also it could have had an undesired effect of misleading girls to push it too far.

But it’s like from the 50s that such a benign ad actually received complaints to cause censure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Quote: why do women always have to hide away? ....

84% of the complaints came from women. Like body-shaming gossip mags, written by women, for women

As a teenager my go to joke that always cracked me up was three guys were found guilty of murder and going down for life. The prison governor permitted them to bring one personal item into prison to help them break the monotony. First guy chose a harmonica because he said that he can play it raise the prisoners morale. Second guy chose a copy of war and peace. He said he had tried to read it for 20 years but never got past page 20 so was hoping he could finally complete it. Last guy pulled out a box of tampax. Everyone was dumbfounded and confused in equal measure. Finally the governor broke the silence and asked the new inmate why out of anything he could have chosen did he choose a box of tampax. Without missing a beat the inmate replied’ well it says on the ad that I can swim, ski and mountain climb with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Met three tampax walking down the road,
    Said hello, but only one said 'hi' back

The other two were stuck up *****

Met three tampax walking down the road,
    Said hello, but only one said 'hi' back

The other two were stuck up *****

I’m just after emailing the ASAI and made a complaint. Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Overheal wrote: »
    ...what was so offensive about the ad that it needed to be pulled, really?

I'm not saying that. I'm saying using kids education as a reason for the importance of the ad is an extremist argument.

The ad itself is not clear to someone who has never used the product or are inexperienced with using the product. It's for older girls who know what it is, why they need it and where it goes.

Seems clear though why there is such an issue with learning/teaching how to use this product properly if some of the women on this thread think that this ad is a good instructional/educational video for young girls who haven't started their periods yet.

It looks like the decision to ban the ad is being reviewed and possibly overturned. Interestingly the ad was banned simply by the amount of complaints which the ASAI determined to have caused grave and widespread offence. Reasons for complaints varied and included coarse and crude language citing ‘not just the tip but up to the grip and get it up there girls. Other complaints focused on the fact it was considered Belittling and demeaning to females because of instructing them on how to use the product. But the most startling aspect of this was the fact that 82% of the complaints came from women. At least it wasn’t pulled because men complained about feeling uncomfortable.

It is clear that the mechanism for banning ads is flawed if it is based on the number of complaints. It could lead to disingenuous complaints causing ads to be shelved.

While the ASAI have stated the decision is under the review and posted a message requesting the public to stop sending in complaints about it, it is unclear if a review will overturn the decision. Meanwhile it is the advertisers dream as it’s getting way more coverage and discussion now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Arealred

People are saying Ireland is backwards about issues such as this buy 82 per cent of the complainants were women. The ruling probably will get overturned and rightly so.

It just goes to show that people who complain often get their voices heard over the silent majority.

Advertisement