Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tampax ad banned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,998 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Plenty of toilet roll ads refer to wiping your are with it which is the same level of detail as the Tampax as.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Ridiculous decision. Absolutely appropriate for all ages. It's a natural thing and should be normalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,174 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

meeeeh wrote: »
    What I do have issues is that we have to watch someone who could be dragged out of The Only Way is Essex because apparently women can only relate to someone loud, wearing too much make up, hair extensions and overweight.[...] However I certainly hope she will aim higher than the representation of the woman we see in the ad.

The ad is about tampons, not loud women, hair extensions, or too much make up!

Expected more from a woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

'absolutely appropriate'

Get 'em up there, girls. Not 'just the tip'...

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

I thought the ad was a bit lacking in class but it didn't particularly bother me - many ads lack class. And being a man, it wasn't aimed at me. Happily it didn't follow modern advertising trends making men out to be fools or dangerous. So not a big deal to me either way. I wouldn't have thought to complain about it.

It should be an eye-opened though about cancel/deplatform culture. If it's allowed to persist, then you can be sure it will eventually be applied to things *you* don't want it to be applied to. No group can be given a veto over the things society is allowed to discuss. That lesson should have been learned after the 1950s.

I suppose I'd finish with the point that the formal complaints appear to be mostly from women. It's not men objecting on the basis that they're trying to eat their dinner; it appears to be women who are uncomfortable with what the ad is portraying. Rather than vilifying them, I try to put myself in their boots. If I was sitting with young daughters and half way through a programme, along came an ad concerning penile discharge (a perfectly natural process - the body's response to an infection), I'd probably get somewhat uncomfortable. It's not the same thing, but not a million miles away. So rather than dismiss their viewpoints with "Grow Up!", the media might take the opportunity to to start a sensible discussion.

• Advertisement

'absolutely appropriate'

Get 'em up there, girls. Not 'just the tip'...

Maybe it’s just me but men get it up. Once they’ve got it up they put it in. Tampons go up. Dicks go in. In my head I can’t correlate the sexual innuendo that others have.

Tampons have a tip. You need to get more than the tip up there. Their stupid new applicator only released a bit more than the tip. The ad is saying click it, then push it up further than the tip but all the way to the grip. This ensures this new applicator is working correctly.

I’ve got a feeling that only those who had an issue have understood what this ad is actually about. But that’s who the ad was intended for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Pherekydes wrote: »

Expected more from a woman!

So did I and that's why I don't like the ad.

Btw I never said it should be banned just that's annoying and I don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Maybe it’s just me but men get it up. Once they’ve got it up they put it in. Tampons go up. Dicks go in. In my head I can’t correlate the sexual innuendo that others have.

Tampons have a tip. You need to get more than the tip up there. Their stupid new applicator only released a bit more than the tip. The ad is saying click it, then push it up further than the tip but all the way to the grip. This ensures this new applicator is working correctly.

I’ve got a feeling that only those who had an issue have understood what this ad is actually about. But that’s who the ad was intended for.

So the reason the ad was patronising in the extreme and portrayed women as idiots is because it's actually aimed at idiots? That explains a lot.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    So the reason the ad was patronising in the extreme and portrayed women as idiots is because it's actually aimed at idiots? That explains a lot.

Seems like we’ve gone over this convo before, Sardonicat. I don’t find the ad patronising at all.

You don’t like Tampax and feel they are an inferior product. That’s absolutely fine.

I like tampax products and they work for me. I guess you could call me an idiot for not reading the instructions every single time I purchase tampons. Ho hum. I’ll live.

Edit: when was the last time you used a tampax tampon?

Google "just the tip"

I don't think anyone puts in just the tip

• Advertisement

Seems like we’ve gone over this convo before, Sardonicat. I don’t find the ad patronising at all.

You don’t like Tampax and feel they are an inferior product. That’s absolutely fine.

I like tampax products and they work for me. I guess you could call me an idiot for not reading the instructions every single time I purchase tampons. Ho hum. I’ll live.

But the 'up to the grip' part has nothing to do with the plunger that you have to hear click. You have to do that anyway, whether it's a clicker applicator or not. You always have to do that, or it won't be inserted properly. That's with every kind of applicator tampon. Who doesn't know that? Why do you think users weren't doing that? Because they need someone to tell them every single time? Or maybe they couldn't, cos it hurts.them. The click is just a gimmick. You are being patronised. Whether that bothers you or not is your own business. It doesn't bother me, I just roll my eyes. I won't have to worry about tampons and pads soon enough. But I can see a teenager thinking there's something wrong with her when she still can't insert a Tampax, even if she's 'clicked' the applicator. That's what bothers me about the ad. Do I think it should be banned,? No. Do I think it's a positive step in being open about menstruation? No.

Google "just the tip"

I don't think anyone puts in just the tip

He promised!

Google "just the tip"

An iceberg has a tip.Do we go around saying the titanic got a good rogering?
    You give waiting staff a tip. Are you saying they are prostitutes?
    A tampon has a tip. A dick has a tip. And more than likely lots of other objects that I can’t think of have a tip too.

Only ****ing idiots choose to associate the tip of a tampon with sex.

An iceberg has a tip.Do we go around saying the titanic got a good rogering?
    You give waiting staff a tip. Are you saying they are prostitutes?
    A tampon has a tip. A dick has a tip. And more than likely lots of other objects that I can’t think of have a tip too.

Only ****ing idiots choose to associate the tip of a tampon with sex.

So it's entirely coincidental they chose to phrase it that way...?

So it's entirely coincidental they chose to phrase it that way...?

The tampon has a tip. The applicator has a grip. What should they have said instead?

A tip is a commonly used word to describe the end (or in tampons case, beginning) or top of an object. If people see that word in a sexual way only that’s on them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Never saw the ad myself as I dont watch TV anymore but what I find off about the whole thing is that something can be banned even though only 84 people in a population of 4.5mil complained about it. It would be different if a large amount of people complained like close to a thousand but 84 people? Comeon you have better things to be doing!

Infini wrote: »
    Never saw the ad myself as I dont watch TV anymore but what I find off about the whole thing is that something can be banned even though only 84 people in a population of 4.5mil complained about it. It would be different if a large amount of people complained like close to a thousand but 84 people? Comeon you have better things to be doing!

And I wouldn’t be surprised if any of those that did complain had ever tried the Tampax compact pearl so didnt understand what the ad was about anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

I feel like I've stepped in to 80s ireland.

God save us from the Tampax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

The tampon has a tip. The applicator has a grip. What should they have said instead?

A tip is a commonly used word to describe the end (or in tampons case, beginning) or top of an object. If people see that word in a sexual way only that’s on them tbh.

This act of plausible deniability is highly amusing

i_surge wrote: »
    This act of plausible deniability is highly amusing

I don’t understand what you mean.

• Advertisement

The act of reasoning that obvious innuendo is not innuendo by sticking to strict definitions and ignoring the rich, emotive and contextual nature of language and how different people interpret the same message differently. All things that you intuitively know while trying to suspend reality and pretend you don't.

No one buys it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

You can't be that obtuse

i_surge wrote: »
    The act of reasoning that obvious innuendo is not innuendo by sticking to strict definitions and ignoring the rich, emotive and contextual nature of language and how different people interpret the same message differently. All things that you intuitively know while trying to suspend reality and pretend you don't.

No one buys it.

What’s with the “i know you don’t” comment? I noticed you edited your post now I have quoted it.

I intuitively know that tip and get it right up there whilst watching an ad about a tampon is about the tampon. If they had said “get in in there” that would be a different story.

You’re with a bloke with a small dick. Do you say “is it in there yet” or “is it up there yet”?

You can't be that obtuse

Pardon me for not understanding the point and rather than pretending I do, I straight out say I don’t.

I use 'in' for both. If you ever take the trouble of reading the instruction leaflet in the box (I highly recommend you do) you'll see they recommend that you don't direct the applicator upwards, rather towards the small of your back.

What’s with the “i know you don’t” comment? I noticed you edited your post now I have quoted it.

I intuitively know that tip and get it right up there whilst watching an ad about a tampon is about the tampon. If they had said “get in in there” that would be a different story.

You’re with a bloke with a small dick. Do you say “is it in there yet” or “is it up there yet”?

It was too cheeky so I edited it.

I don't buy your argument full stop so there is no need to keep making it.

I'd hope you'd be sensitive to his feelings and not so literal and technical with your language :)

Jesus you’re a sanctimonious lot on a bank holiday.

I purchase a box of a item.
    I take said item which I have purchased on many occasions before out of the box not realising that it’s not only the size that is different and throw some in my bag and some in my bathroom.
    I get rid of box.
    I find I am having trouble when I go to use item.
    I don’t use it nor do I buy anymore.
    Company that manufacture the item find that others have the same problem and are also no longer buying it.

Company make a new ad which explains how to use item correctly. I suss straight away that the ad is for women like me.

So, call me an idiot, call me stupid, call me what the **** you like. Just go a shove a jumbo tampon up your arsehole at the same time. You might even like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I know someone in there 30's who didn't know how to wear a tampon until a nurse asked her some questions on a cervical check...

If we are depending on parents to teach their kids about these things, we first need to make sure the parents are educated...

I think we should have public health nurses male & female to have the talk in schools in order for kids to understand their bodies and puberty etc...

Because if we depend on parents alone we will have young adults thinking using a tampon makes you no longer a virgin and other such nonsense...which is getting worse with the "I saw it on Facebook, it's true" generation...sure look at the folks who believe in Anti-Vax and Covid19 is caused by 5G crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Are you for real? Do you seriously believe that ad used appropriate dialogue to explain periods to primary school girls?

Only an extremist, who will do anything to create/win a fight for female rights would use little children as their weapons which is what is being done here because there is no way that this ad is targeting young girls or was made to educate them. It will scare them more than anything.

The hilarious thing about your post is that you think the more that teenage boys know about periods, the less they will tease girls about it. Do you know anything about kids? This ad will give them a year's worth of ammunition.

A fine example of someone seeing what they wanted to see, jumping the gun and getting offended.
    I suggest you re-read my post, because I never actually mentioned the ad in question nor did I give my thoughts on it. And you have the audacity to imply that I’m an extremist, while completely misrepresenting my post :rolleyes:
    I was replying to a post that said 8/9 year olds don’t need to know about periods because it’s inappropriate, which I vehemently disagree with on all counts.
    They do need to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,477 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Jesus you’re a sanctimonious lot on a bank holiday.

I purchase a box of a item.
    I take said item which I have purchased on many occasions before out of the box not realising that it’s not only the size that is different and throw some in my bag and some in my bathroom.
    I get rid of box.
    I find I am having trouble when I go to use item.
    I don’t use it nor do I buy anymore.
    Company that manufacture the item find that others have the same problem and are also no longer buying it.

Company make a new ad which explains how to use item correctly. I suss straight away that the ad is for women like me.

So, call me an idiot, call me stupid, call me what the **** you like. Just go a shove a jumbo tampon up your arsehole at the same time. You might even like it!

A few months ago my OH asked me to be a dear and pick up some tampons. No bother. Honestly I don’t know where she smuggles the things normally she never buys them when we shop together and I never think about them.

I’m 33 years old I had to text her back:

“They come in different sizes??”

Advertisement