Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tampax ad banned

Options

Comments

Probably has an aunt or two also, and maybe an older sister or older cousin. Or female family friend. Or female teacher. Or female neighbour. There is a long list of people better suited to have that conversation ahead of the father or a TV advert.

Seriously?

So a child should turn to any other female, rather then her own father, when she needs information on periods?

Thank God my own father was not like that. When I had my first period, he hugged me, fussed over me to make sure I was okay, asked me if I had any questions and then went out and bought me a bar of chocolate.

Thats what a caring father does. Not avoid his daughter's needs.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm as liberal as they come but that ad is unnecessarily crass. Glad it is gone. Ideally one of the focus groups would have stopped it from reaching TV in the first place.

It was thanks to focus groups that they realised that women were having a problem with the product, hence the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

splinter65 wrote: »
    A bit loud? Loud stupid vulgar crass thick. I’m not having it. The advertising standards aren’t having it either. Women 1 ad execs 0. Great result.

its a good job you are not in the least bit judgmental :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Bobblehats wrote: »
    If it was a nasal stick and it said “get it up there lads” there’d be outrage. And rightly so

Not just the tip, up to the grip. Then you must inhale. That means breath in. Don't breath out. If you breath out, it won't work. That's why we've invented one that whistles when you inhale, 'cos then you know you're doing it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Fantastic, thank you. We are not larger loutish idiots and have braincells
    Lager....surely?

It was clearly meant to ape a loose woman/Oprah type show.
    The woman in it wasn't lager loutish at all imo she was just loud and OTT like a lot of tv presenters tend to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Yes all us women who have been fighting for equality and to be treated with respect and dignity fully appreciate being portrayed as scumbags on tv

Scumbags? Hardly.

I suppose women should only be portrayed Victorian ladies and such matters should never be discussed?

Whole thing is just an example of how Ireland is still quite capable of of returning to prudish nonsense thanks to some committee of appointees and a letter writing campaign.

We’ve a really grim history in that area btw - breathless outrage of a small number of the easily upset and we had books banned and films censored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

I have no idea what you are training to say here.

I was agreeing with you. It was nice to see that someone else saw how poorly the advert was portraying women

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Oh FFS. Seems we’re back to the prudish old days of a bygone Ireland.

Also it’ll be happily running on loads of U.K. channels that we all have anyway.

Well done the rosary bead clutchers - making Ireland look like a backwater again!

I don’t really like those complaints driven processes we have for broadcasting regulation. They’re easily driven to decisions by a few crackpots and now with social media that can easily be generated by a little bubble of outrage.

Periods, tampons and vaginas are hardly something to be offended by in 2020. It’s just practical reality.

Once again you’ve totally missed the point. Nobody is bothered by the subject matter. It’s the depiction of women that’s the issue. If you want women depicted as a bunch of apes hee-hawing like a bunch of builders in the pub on a Friday night then that’s your thing but enough of people and the advertising standards people want better.

A bit loud? Loud stupid vulgar crass thick. I’m not having it. The advertising standards aren’t having it either. Women 1 ad execs 0. Great result.
    What if the execs were women?!?.....
    I wouldn't declare this as some big victory for all women.

Where has the idea that the two women in the ad are “trampy” come from?

not just trampy but:

vulgar, crass cheap and nasty.
    laughing hyenas aping a bunch of men on a building site
    trampy loudmouth vulgar idiots.
    larger(sic) loutish idiots and have braincells
    shouty thickos with no class or dignity

just some of the descriptions applied to the woman in the ad by the resident pearl clutchers.

• Advertisement

Once again you’ve totally missed the point. Nobody is bothered by the subject matter. It’s the depiction of women that’s the issue. If you want women depicted as a bunch of apes hee-hawing like a bunch of builders in the pub on a Friday night then that’s your thing but enough of people and the advertising standards people want better.

In that case just ban all TV channels, the internet and going outside.

Scumbags? Hardly.

I suppose women should only be portrayed Victorian ladies and such matters should never be discussed?

So for you if women aren’t portrayed as a bunch of laughing hyenas shouting and high fiving and throwing sexual innuendos around the place then they’re somehow being oppressed? How many women do you actually know?

well nobody except the OP who was one of the women who complained to the ASAI
    Personally it's not the type of thing I want to be thinking about when I'm relaxing and watching TV, particularly with the kids. Glad sense prevailed.

So for you if women aren’t portrayed as a bunch of laughing hyenas shouting and high fiving and throwing sexual innuendos around the place then they’re somehow being oppressed? How many women do you actually know?

Clearly a lot more than you do.

not just trampy but:

just some of the descriptions applied to the woman in the ad by the resident pearl clutchers.

And there was me thinking I had become more conservative in my old age :D

what sexual innuendos did they throw about?

There was no sexual innuendo. It’s a tampon!

In that case just ban all TV channels, the internet and going outside.

I see literally 1000s of women in real life and on tv behaving like normal sane human beings every single day . I have no idea if you actually even know any women or ever go outside based on this comment.

You’re a grown man with a wife and family and an ad about periods is offensive to you?

I bought those new type of tampon a couple of times and I didn’t find them very good. When the ad first aired I thought it was because women were having the same issue as me. It was showing how to “get it up there” correctly. I liked that they made a public information ad about it.

I don’t like that the advertising complaints authority has took a normal female bodily function and deemed it yucky. Grow ****ing up!

I’m a woman in my 60’s. I’ve had periods. I found the advert in pretty poor taste and feel that it shouldn’t be aired when young children might be watching. The education of girls....and boys.... about periods and problems surrounding them are best dealt with in private by a parent or medical professional. Not on prime time tv unless in a specific program.
    And my daughter says that they’re no different to other popular tampons!
    Though, the ad writers have done a great job in getting people talking about the product!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Complaints about this ad just goes to show how regressive and patriarchal Ireland still is towards women's issues.

Having lived in a few different countries I have to say Ireland is the least regressive when it comes to these things. Some of the ads I've seen on Irish TV are very crass and remind me of that tv show eurotrash. Ads about women leaking stuff and needing adult diapers among the highlights. Nothing against advertising the products but the acting and dialogue is disgusting and I'm sure people with whatever the issues are can find information on this thing we call the internet.

We don't all need or want to hear about it.

• Advertisement

There was no sexual innuendo. It’s a tampon!

“Get it up there girls, amirite!!!” Haw haw haw haw haw haw haw. Cos all we women want is to get it up there.

what sexual innuendos did they throw about?
    Up "there" wink wink nudge nudge....lol
    It was hardly a carry on film like...

They didnt.

The ad is clearly meant to ape "loose women" or a show like that. If you want to be outraged at women and their behaviour on tv they might be a better target....they are literally braying hyenas...

gmisk wrote: »
    Up "there" wink wink nudge nudge....lol
    It was hardly a carry on film like...

They didnt.

The ad is clearly meant to ape "loose women" or a show like that. If you want to be outraged at women and their behaviour on tv they might be a better target....they are literally braying hyenas...

it is a tampon. there is nothing sexual about a tampon.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Is the add about women "leaking" still doing the rounds that's worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

not just trampy but:

British education system produces large cohort of uneducated or poorly educated so those in power can stay in power. This ad has it's target audience but I would hope it would be a lot smaller in Ireland and that we deserve a bit better. It's an equivalent of drunk British tourists on holidays that nobody likes. (I'm not saying all are like that).

Limpy wrote: »
    Is the add about women "leaking" still doing the rounds that's worse.
    Of course....I love peeing myself at my dance class but sure doesn't everyone!

This ad had periods in it though God forbid!

I see literally 1000s of women in real life and on tv behaving like normal sane human beings every single day . I have no idea if you actually even know any women or ever go outside based on this comment.

So basically all tv and ads should reflect 1950s moral codes and not reality?

Tens of thousands of women also go out on a Friday night, shouting and having a laugh.

My granny would have had more direct conversations that advert, and she was born in the 1920s

You’re putting women into a box of what you’re defining is appropriate female behaviour because you don’t like loud women.

“Get it up there girls, amirite!!!” Haw haw haw haw haw haw haw. Cos all we women want is to get it up there.

If you don’t get it up there it will leak!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Personally I thought it was a bit inappropriate for kids. It was broadcast when my 9 year old was watching tv - She didn't need to be watching that bollox

Your 9 year old will be wearing tampons soon... are you going to teach her the right way to wear one? I doubt it... the instructions are on the box yet lots of girls just stick it in a bit and are very uncomfortable. Also can cause infections when not worn right.

The woman in the ads voice annoyed me! But I don't think it was embarrassing and if you are embarrassed these days by periods then you need to get a life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

If men think hearing about a period is gross, they should think about what it's like to experience them. Waking up to find your thighs stuck together with mucus-y, bloody liquid because your period arrived in the middle of the night is gross. Ads are pretty much grand by comparison.

And what do women do? We hop in the shower, throw the sheets in the wash and head to work.

Anyone who complained about this is the ultimate snowflake.

I got my first at 11. I didn't have the kind of relationship with my Mam where we would talk about that kind of thing in any detail; this ad would have been useful to me.

Advertisement