Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tampax ad banned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So basically all tv and ads should reflect 1950s normal codes and not reality?

Tens of thousands of women also go out on a Friday night, shouting and having a laugh.

My granny would have had more direct conversations that advert, and she was born in the 1920s

You’re putting women into a box of what you’re defining is appropriate female behaviour because you don’t like loud women.

all i can think of are the harry enfield spoof ads "Women, know your place".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

gmisk wrote: »
    Up "there" wink wink nudge nudge....lol
    It was hardly a carry on film like...

They didnt.

The ad is clearly meant to ape "loose women" or a show like that. If you want to be outraged at women and their behaviour on tv they might be a better target....they are literally braying hyenas...

it's a lot easier to avoid a show like loose women than an ad on the national broadcaster every 15 minutes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Who watches add these days anyway ? I always change channel when adds come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

statesaver wrote: »
    Who watches add these days anyway. I always change channel when adds come on.

I suspect mostly those who are outraged, yet secretly fascinated with the mundane mechanics of tampons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Hijpo

These kinds of adverts should be strictly targeted to mobile devices for people they apply to.

Same with erectile dysfunction ads. Made sure to include that before all the new age feminazis and their feminazi fan boys in this thread lose their sh** with me.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

splinter65 wrote: »
    “Get it up there girls, amirite!!!” Haw haw haw haw haw haw haw. Cos all we women want is to get it up there.

do you only use your vagina for sex?

Exactly. And if something in the ad resonates with a viewer, they’ll watch it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 homes_for_all

Oh FFS. Seems we’re back to the prudish old days of a bygone Ireland.

Also it’ll be happily running on loads of U.K. channels that we all have anyway.

Well done the rosary bead clutchers - making Ireland look like a backwater again!

The Irish obsession with perceived international opinion, and desperation for same, is something else.

"Hey, don't you dare complain about something lest Belgium think less of us!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,165 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Having had a friend ask me at 16 (SIXTEEN!) what hole they go in I thought that ad was great!
    Not every girl has a mother to ask about these things

Well it’s just yet another example of Ireland regulating women’s behaviour! Seems we can’t drag an aspect of this country out of the 1950s moralising nonsense.

We’re not that far away from the committees of permanently morally outraged and clearly controlling every aspect of life here. It’s literally only a few decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

i thought it was funny , benny hill type humour but presumably educational ?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Clare Kat

Personally I thought it was a bit inappropriate for kids. It was broadcast when my 9 year old was watching tv - She didn't need to be watching that bollox

Hate to inform you, but she will be using them shortly and should know how to use them properly. Just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I’ve no opinion on the ad because while some people find it irritating or cringe there’s nothing inherently offensive about it. Can people not use the remote and mute or turn of the tv?

I’m more surprised that such a small number of complaints were enough to get it taken off air in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I knew a fella who would conversely only perk up when the ad breaks came on. And soak them up in wide eyed fascination I’d watch him; watching them and jot down how he responded. Curious specimen

eviltwin wrote: »
    I’ve no opinion on the ad because while some people find it irritating or cringe there’s nothing inherently offensive about it. Can people not use the remote and mute or turn of the tv?

I’m more surprised that such a small number of complaints were enough to get it taken off air in the first place.

That’s the problem with most of those processes. You see it in the BAI broadcasting complaints too. For example Derek Mooney had complaints upheld for discussing that he would like to get married, this was before any Irish marriage referendum was even called, yet a complaint from a company that had ceased trading and was linked to very conservative elements here forced RTE to apologise and had the poor guy more or less silenced & pushed aside.

Ireland is still very weird on many of those regulatory regimes.

A few angry letters can cause a series of actions that lead to some decision like this.

I mean the arguments made here on this thread would also see The Derry Girls banned for being “shouty” and a bit crude.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I suspect mostly those who are outraged, yet secretly fascinated with the mundane mechanics of tampons.

I don’t know how you could infer from the idea that anyone who watches ads suggests that any of them could be outraged, yet secretly fascinated by the mechanics of tampons?

84 people made an official complaint, out of a population of 7 million. It takes some leap of the imagination to imagine that most people who do so are secretly fascinated by the mundane mechanics of tampons, let alone outraged by the idea alone.

Rather it appears you are being purposely disingenuous in order to miss the point being made that the ad itself is the problem, not the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

sydthebeat wrote: »
    do you only use your vagina for sex?

I find mine quite handy for smuggling contraband. When travelling, its where i store my credit card and cash. Oh, how I laugh when I think of the bag snatcher eagerly ripping opening the handbag he ripped from my arm only to find a handful of clicky applicator tampons inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭feelings

I am not dismissing your concerns, you are entitled to be concerned for whatever you want. But it's a very frightening and warped sense of concern IMHO and it appears most boards users agree.
    splinter65 wrote: »
    I can’t be concerned for the pandemic and offended by a horrible depiction of women at the same time? Why not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 homes_for_all

feelings wrote: »
    But it's a very frightening and warped sense of concern IMHO and it appears most boards users agree.

:D I suggest you stay away from any horror movies if that frightens you

I don’t know how you could infer from the idea that anyone who watches ads suggests that any of them could be outraged, yet secretly fascinated by the mechanics of tampons?

84 people made an official complaint, out of a population of 7 million. It takes some leap of the imagination to imagine that most people who do so are secretly fascinated by the mundane mechanics of tampons, let alone outraged by the idea alone.

Rather it appears you are being purposely disingenuous in order to miss the point being made that the ad itself is the problem, not the product.

It’s called humour. Look it up a sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

The ad was horrendous on so many levels. It should never have been aired in the first place. I would never go to the trouble of complaining about a tv ad, I just switch over. With standards so low these days and the increasing desensitization of viewers I'm surprised it got banned though. There are couple of channels I won't watch at all because of the constant use of horrendous images to extort money from people. How they get away with it I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

The ad was horrendous on so many levels. It should never have been aired in the first place.

Which levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

KiKi III wrote: »
    Which levels?

Every level. Not just the tip. Right up to the grip!

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

210 comments over 16 pages woohoo.
    Crappy ad but job done - hundreds of people talking about their product.

anyway- it takes 60 complaints to investigate an advertisement.
    This one generated 84, and that is termed widespread offence so it has been withdrawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

What is exactly is in the ad?
    Oral instructions on how to use the product?
    Video diagrams of proper use?
    Still sounds like an improvement on the usual montages of grinning women rollerblading on trampolines.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    What is exactly is in the ad?
    Oral instructions on how to use the product?
    Video diagrams of proper use?
    Still sounds like an improvement on the usual montages of grinning women rollerblading on trampolines.

In white shorts!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

This one generated 84, and that is termed widespread offence so it has been withdrawn.

and even if the ASAI receive 1000s of emails in FAVOUR of the ad.. they cannot reverse their decision and wont allow the ad to play.....

go figure.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

The launch of the investigation is triggered, they don't have to uphold it.

They're standards are:

- All marketing communications should be legal, decent, honest and truthful.
    - All marketing communications should be prepared with a sense of responsibility both to the consumer and to society.
    - All marketing communications should conform to the principles of fair competition as generally accepted in business.

The ad didn't contravene any of those standards, unless you consider talking about periods inherently indecent, which would be one of the most snowflake-y things I've ever heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

I don't think anyone here is denying, or attaching shame to, menstruation. I didn't like the ad, and I agree it was trying to look raunchy - not showing it until after 9pm seems fair I think.

But "banning" it? Ffs.

There are so many things that potentially cause discomfort on television - instead of zoning in on one but not the others, the channel can be changed.

Advertisement