Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tampax ad banned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Clare Kat

The fact it was removed over 84 complaints out of 7 million people, is why the country is backwards imo.

Dead right, it’s pitiful. Another thing for women to be ashamed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Hold on to your hats lads, Bridesmaids is showing on RTE1 tomorrow night and that has an extensive diarrhoea scene. The following night is Quantam of Solace which features extensive scenes of violence.

Can't imagine people who can't stand one minute of discussion on periods would be able for either of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Zaph wrote: »
    No it's not, the ASAI isn't a state body, it's described on their website as "the independent self-regulatory body set up and financed by the advertising industry". This is censorship by a tiny vocal minority of busybodies who have nothing better to be doing with themselves.

It actually hasn't been banned. Compliance with ASAI decisions is voluntary.

The ad was crass.

The ad was crass.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

210 comments over 16 pages woohoo.
    Crappy ad but job done - hundreds of people talking about their product.

Well, only one segment of the posters here are ever going to need to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

KiKi III wrote: »
    Hold on to your hats lads, Bridesmaids is showing on RTE1 tomorrow night and that has an extensive diarrhoea scene. The following night is Quantam of Solace which features extensive scenes of violence.

Can't imagine people who can't stand one minute of discussion on periods would be able for either of those.
    Not to mention a 007 who see's women as disposable pleasures. Scandalous.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I don't think anyone here is denying or attaching shame to menstruation. I didn't like the ad, and I agree it was trying to look raunchy - not showing it until after 9pm seems fair I think.

But "banning" it? Ffs.

There are so many things that potentially cause discomfort on television - instead of zoning in on one but not the others, the channel can be changed.

really?
    It's a vulgar ad that has thankfully been banned. What I'd prefer if all ads about that stuff were banned, I understand the companies need to advertise their products, they should do so in a respectful way.

No one wants to be put off their dinner with graphic descriptions of that stuff on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Clare Kat

That’s the problem with most of those processes. You see it in the BAI broadcasting complaints too. For example Derek Mooney had complaints upheld for discussing that he would like to get married, this was before any Irish marriage referendum was even called, yet a complaint from a company that had ceased trading and was linked to very conservative elements here forced RTE to apologise and had the poor guy more or less silenced & pushed aside.

Ireland is still very weird on many of those regulatory regimes.

A few angry letters can cause a series of actions that lead to some decision like this.

I mean the arguments made here on this thread would also see The Derry Girls banned for being “shouty” and a bit crude.

You are so on point. Just going out on a limb here, but would have to wonder are these the same people who rang into Liveline to complain about sex scenes in Normal People.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,165 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I don't think anyone here is denying, or attaching shame to, menstruation. I didn't like the ad, and I agree it was trying to look raunchy - not showing it until after 9pm seems fair I think.

But "banning" it? Ffs.

There are so many things that potentially cause discomfort on television - instead of zoning in on one but not the others, the channel can be changed.

I didnt think it was trying to be raunchy.lighthearted and educational maybe... nothing they did was raunchy just a bit OTT. But its to grab attention

I also dont think the people who need to know about how to put in a tampon properly will be watching tv after 9pm

• Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The ad was crass.

it actually HAS been banned.

The chairperson of the ASAI was on Ciara Keely today and said that the ad had to be removed, and could only be reinstated if it was altered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,777 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought this was a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

It was a little uncomfortable to watch with the kids, also a bit amateurish in its look.

I'd compare it to Andrex running an ad about how to wipe your hole correctly. Just no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

sydthebeat wrote: »
    it actually HAS been banned.

The chairperson of the ASAI was on Ciara Keely today and said that the ad had to be removed, and could only be reinstated if it was altered.

It hasn't. ASAI doesn't have any statutory power, it's a voluntary organisation and adherence to it's determination is also voluntary. Broadcasting the ad won't land you in the high court.

ASAI was created so that the government wouldn't have to regulate the space due to the issues relating to press freedom that would result.

So any company that airs the ad is only going to be removed from that organisation (ASAI) at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't find toilet humor particularly funny but I accept some do. However I find Tampax ad insulting. I have no issues with the message but as a woman I find it very much insulting that it's assumed a loud daytime show is what I am interested in.

Do I think the ad should be banned? No. But I also don't think we have swallow any patronising bs just because it's progressive.

jjmcclure wrote: »
    It was a little uncomfortable to watch with the kids, also a bit amateurish in its look.
    /QUOTE]

I was a kid when I got my first period. A lot of girls are. And it would actually have been good for us to have access to more information. It might also have been useful if the boys in our class had known more about it to so they didn't have this idea that it was something icky to make fun of us about.

My 19y/o cousin was at my house a few months ago and she very casually mentioned to her Dad that she had her period and it showed me that attitudes are changing - I'd never mention that to my father but that's really quite silly, it shouldn't be any different than telling someone you have a toothache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Do those who are pleased with the ad being banned, express concern for freedom of speech/expression in other contexts?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I was a kid when I got my first period. A lot of girls are. And it would actually have been good for us to have access to more information. It might also have been useful if the boys in our class had known more about it to so they didn't have this idea that it was something icky to make fun of us about.

There are so many other ways in which the same information could have been conveyed, without couching it in the portrayal of women as being a bit thick, like the guest on the show, the presenter on the show, and indeed the audience of the show.

But that catchphrase is right up there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The real problem with the ad, that I could see, was the casting of the “host” as boisterous northern lass, a sort of 90s “ladette”. Smacks a bit of ‘it’s ok, that’s how they talk up there’. The other option would have been a mouthy “eastender”.

The rest of the ad is fine. Young women should be informed of how these things work and it doesn’t always have to be from some “white coat” giving a bland medical lecture.

I guess the real “take home” from all of this is that there is a lot of people out there who just don’t find anything funny about menstruation. Period.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

https://www.thejournal.ie/tampons-tampax-advertising-banned-asai-offensive-5163216-Jul2020/

The ASAI have banned that Tampax ad. As one of the 84 people who complained about it I'm happy with this decision, but I see there are a lot of people who are not happy.

Personally it's not the type of thing I want to be thinking about when I'm relaxing and watching TV, particularly with the kids. Glad sense prevailed.

Yep, all ye have to do now is build a wee hut in your backyard, wherein the women can take of their woman business, and leave you out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Do those who are pleased with the ad being banned, express concern for freedom of speech/expression in other contexts?

It's an advertisement not an attack on civilisation
    84 nutc people wrote in to complain about it.
    The standards authority is a non legislative, representative body connected to the advertising industry.

Withdrawal probably done with agreement from Tampax.
    Any reason to suspect that Tampax have a New Campaign ready to go

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Other than the OP and a couple of others following that line, I don't think the issue is what's being said in the ad at all. It was the setting of the ad that a lot of people posting here find problematic. And then those people got challenged about stuff , they didn't even say. Just like yourself here now, you are forcing a line of enquiry that no one is really arguing against it. A lot of the discourse about the ad before it, has nothing to do with speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

Zaph wrote: »
    While the ad was a bit cringeworthy
    Most ads are

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

Which levels?

If you don't know already there's nothing I can say that will enlighten you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Clare Kat wrote: »
    Dead right, it’s pitiful. Another thing for women to be ashamed of.

I agree, but unfortunately a lot of the complaints from people on this forum are from other women.

Menstruation is not shameful in any way just a normal bodily function.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The real problem with the ad, that I could see, was the casting of the “host” as boisterous northern lass, a sort of 90s “ladette”. Smacks a bit of ‘it’s ok, that’s how they talk up there’. The other option would have been a mouthy “eastender”.

The rest of the ad is fine. Young women should be informed of how these things work and it doesn’t always have to be from some “white coat” giving a bland medical lecture.

I guess the real “take home” from all of this is that there is a lot of people out there who just don’t find anything funny about menstruation. Period.

Young women already know how these things work. The ad, like all ads, is a sales pitch, not an educational platform. They are trying to sell a product that many women find painful to use as directed so use incorrectly as a result. If it was an exercise in educating it would say something along the lines of 'applicators are standard length and cannot direct a tampon to conform to the unique internal contours of every woman. If inserting an applicator tampon causes pain, not inserting it far enough will only result in incorrect placement. If this is the case for you, try switching to a non-applicator tampon produced by one of our competitors' Obviously, they're not going to do that when they're trying to flog their product. The 'clicking' sound does nothing to change the fact that applicators are not suited to everyone. Tampax are constantly coming up with gimmicks to try and convince people to keep using their applicator tampons and that any discomfort they cause is the problem of the person using it, not the fact that's it's a one-size-fits-all product that simply doesn't work well for many women because vaginas aren't cookie cutter replicas .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

joe40 wrote: »
    I agree, but unfortunately a lot of the complaints from people on this forum are from other women.

Why do you assume I (and other women who don't like the ad) are ashamed of menstruation because we don't like the ad. I don't think I need to be told by a man who is not a target audience for the ad how should I feel about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Other than the OP and a couple of others following that line, I don't think the issue is what's being said in the ad at all. It was the setting of the ad that a lot of people posting here find problematic. And then those people got challenged about stuff , they didn't even say. Just like yourself here now, you are forcing a line of enquiry that no one is really arguing against it. A lot of the discourse about the ad before it, has nothing to do with speech.
    I don't like the ad. I too find the way they're being all "ladette" cringey and unnecessary. No need for young kids to hear it due to the literal "in your endo", so later in the evening would be reasonable IMO (also young kids shouldn't be exposed to the Kardashians and Ariana Grande). And I don't think anyone is seriously trying to stigmatise menstruation here (you'll always get a few who'll use such a topic to have a laugh) but my issue is the desire to ban it. I find that quite abhorrent. Ads about erectile dysfunction aren't the ideal to have on in the background in certain company either. Or bowel problems. Or condoms/sex toys/minty gel for added tingle. So I just change the channel.

If you don't know already there's nothing I can say that will enlighten you.

Ah go on, give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

feelings wrote: »
    FFS. I really thought Ireland had moved past this type of "I'm offended" rubbish. There is a pandemic with 700k dead and people are offended by a tampax advert? Cop the f**k on and get over yourself.
    We're in the age of the perpetually offended

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

joe40 wrote: »

Exactly. It's a bit weird that women produce blue liquid every month, but no woman should ever feel shameful about something that doesn't prevent her from playing tennis.

Advertisement