Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build Advice Request

Options
  • 30-07-2020 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone can give me a little advice, my teenager has been saving for a computer to get his oculus quest running with link.

I want to help get this done, but not just purchase a crazy priced computer, if building it would be the way to go, and it's something we can work on together.

Any advice or recommendations would be great - the requirements for the pc are :
    Processor Intel i5-4590 / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X or greater
    Memory 8 GB+ RAM
    Operating System Windows 10
    USB Ports 1x USB port (3.0)
    There are a list of GPUS :
    NVIDIA Titan X
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970,
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070(all),
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080(all),
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Super,
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 TI
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 20-series (all)
    AMD 400 Series
    AMD 500 Series
    AMD 5000 Series
    AMD Vega Series

1. What is your budget? €1000 ish

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Purely this Oculus Link

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes, Windows 10

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes, but generic monitor, there are no required specs, so basic is fine

5a. If yes, what size do you need. Not a major issue

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] Again, standard peripherals

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Not 100% sure what it is, it seems if it gives better performance I don't see why not

8. How can you pay? Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Within the next few weeks

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I'm in Louth, but I'm not put off by putting some work and research into this

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£161.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£99.95 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£81.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card (£354.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: MSI MAG FORGE 100R ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£79.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £887.89
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-30 11:44 BST+0100

Windows 10: from Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    Install & get an activation key later/never

Monitor: trawl Adverts.ie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭paudy1000

Thanks a million for all that! I’ll get onto it! Appreciate the effort!!!

No probs.

I just double-checked and that RTX card was listed by a shady seller in Estonia.

Here's 2 models to consider instead:
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TZ185FZ?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TZ69CWF?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

The EVGA card is useful since it would allow you to Step-Up within 90 days if any new cards release (slated for mid-September).

Hey, thanks for all your advice on this, I have had all the parts delivered, and now working on the build (first time!) We've run into a problem though, when I was installing the graphics card, it pushed out the USB 3.0 plug, and it has the cables bent in a sort of way now that I can't get it back in. I've tried moving them around, but I think they need to be pretty exact. Is there anything I can do here, or would I need to go somewhere for help? Thanks for all your help!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

can you post a picture?

• Advertisement

Hyzepher wrote: »
    can you post a picture?
    Hopefully this shows what I’ve done. Thanks!

Be very careful with that header, I hate them too!

You can try using the inside nib of a mechanical pencil to straighten the pins out - make sure they're aligned in all directions and form a grid.
    It helps to take the GPU out so you have more room for your hands.

Alternatively, give up & accept that you have no front-panel USB3.
    I have, multiple times!

Thanks for that, leaves me with little hope haha, the USB 3 was a requirement for the oculus, so is there a way around it then? Sorry for the basic question!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Never got why USB3 headers can't be flat ribbon cable type instead of that bulky, awkward type which very often gets put under strain or blocks cards. I had to cut away part of the GPU heatsink in my 2nd PC, or else I'd have had no front ports.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for all your help. Being brand new to this isn’t helping me too much haha. Can I double check with you, if I forget about the3.0 cable, because I could be hours at it, should there be usb 2 cable in the case also to connect to the motherboard? I need one to make any usb work is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

All of those ports will work regardless. They are part of the motherboard. No cabling required. The cable that caused the issue is only for the front USB ports of your PC case to work too.

Hey guys, thanks a million for all your help, this build has a work in progress! I think after a few hours a day for a while we nearly have it. I just can’t get the graphics card to sit right. I know everything else is fine, I can get it up on the screen as working, but when I move the computer the card misplaces itself, I can’t get it to fully click due to the case, and I don’t want to force it, so I just feel like I’m missing a trick, hopefully someone can help! Thanks!

1. Shut down Windows & turn off the power supply.
    2. Remove the case side panel.
    3. Disconnect all cables going to the GPU.
    4. Open the PCI slot shutter.
    5. Remove the GPU (remember to press the tab on the motherboard to loosen it).
    6. Remove the individual (black) PCI slot covers from the case.
    7. Reinstall the GPU into silver PCIe x16 slot - push down firmly until the card clicks into the slot.
    8. Attach all cables and close the computer.

I didn't even notice which slot he had the card in. This hangover must be worse than i thought.

Haha thanks, that’s exactly where the issue was. I appreciate it. It’s brought me to a whole new load of issues haha with windows installing on uefi and the like. I’ll just take another break and start googling in a few days. But thanks for all your help, it seems at this point I have the computer built, so that’s the main thing :)

Advertisement