Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Disc SSD 256 Gb-Spare Block issue

Options
  • 30-07-2020 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Drive Health is indicating normal, yet I have a notification of Spare Block Remaining issue on my SSD. What does this indicate? No issues otherwise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its end of life it seems. They use different names than the SMART standard I think.

Its normal for cells(thus sectors) to go bad. When this happens the SSD automagically remaps them to somewhere else in the spares pool. You've got 0 spares left so any cell the goes bad just causes data loss.

BUT, I think either
    A) that data is wrong
    B) You've had something absolutely HAMMMERING that drive for months.

4526 PB written....4.526EB. I'm fairly sure thats impossible.....

4526328081 - Being generous and giving it 400MB/s constant writes thats 130970 days of non stop writes. Get a better diagnostic suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

ED E wrote: »
    Its end of life it seems. They use different names than the SMART standard I think.

Its normal for cells(thus sectors) to go bad. When this happens the SSD automagically remaps them to somewhere else in the spares pool. You've got 0 spares left so any cell the goes bad just causes data loss.

BUT, I think either
    A) that data is wrong

4526328081 - Being generous and giving it 400MB/s constant writes thats 130970 days of non stop writes. Get a better diagnostic suite.

.....or maybe even switch the computer off while travelling back in time :D How are those figures even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭mrtom

ED E wrote: »

BUT, I think either
    A) that data is wrong

Ran Crystal Disc & from what I can see, not much more info. Here "Remaining life threshold "5" what ever that means, Health indicated as 96%- Good. I disabled Superfetch when I fitted the drive. All stable with no issues, hmm...

Advertisement