Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manhole overflowing

• 30-07-2020 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I've one manhole in the front garden and one in the rear. My next door neighbour also has one in their front garden. We are a small row of 15 houses and only one other house at the far end has one in their front garden.
    Mine is at the bottom of the garden my neighbours is a bit more in the middle or nearer to the house than the pavement.
    The one in my front garden has started to overflow. Not much, but its in the grass part so theres probably more being absorbed.
    Is it possible that the overflow is not even related to my house, even though the man hole is there?
    The reason I ask is that I've been monitoring it since yesterday, as i wasnt sure if it was an overflow issue or just a collection of rain water. So yesterday when we've all had showers in the morning/afternoon and toilet getting flushed, sink being used , I've checked it to see if the level has increased and it was the same. However I started to think then about 5-6 pm that maybe it was rain water that had collected there. But then when I went to close the curtains later about 9pm I noticed it had risen! I was thinking maybe it could be from my neighbours having showers when they arrived hone from work.
    This morning same thing, I've kept an eye on it. Had a shower. Washed the delph, level seemed the same. Neighbour came home early, within an hour he was gone again but the water had risen.
    I haven't used the washing machine yet, kinda afraid to out of fear of the unexpected.

If some of the houses are connected to that manhole, if the blockage was on my end, wouldnt the overflow level rise when water was used in my house only ? If its rising when the neighbours use water would it definetely be a case of the blockage on their end?
    I'll also add, our waste pipes and shores are all located at the front house, I know their shore/drain is uncovered , so maybe even a chance of a dead rat blocking the flow? Is any of this even possible??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Sounds like the blockage is downstream of your manhole. Could be between you and next house or further down. if its partial blockage then your showers etc might not be noticeable, but once upstream of you add to it you see the issue.

Talk you your neighbours to see if they have issues, you will need to get dynorod etc out, but unless they blockage is on your property, you shouldnt pay for it all.

anyone have young kids on the road? its usually baby wipes that cause the problem :(

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭shashaela

Both my self and the neighbour have small kids, and my house is guilty of using the flushable bum wipes :-(

I'll get on to the landlord tomorrow, dreading it now as she just sent us a letter for rent increase.

It must be all downstream like you said as we've had no issues at all inside with drains being blocked or slow.

Are the likes of dyno rod the only ones who can remedy this, As I'm certain she'll sent out her maintenance guy first. Be great if he could get it done, but maybe not so good for him!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Are you on a septic tank or mains sewer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

shashaela wrote: »
    Both my self and the neighbour have small kids, and my house is guilty of using the flushable bum wipes :-(

I'll get on to the landlord tomorrow, dreading it now as she just sent us a letter for rent increase.

It must be all downstream like you said as we've had no issues at all inside with drains being blocked or slow.

Are the likes of dyno rod the only ones who can remedy this, As I'm certain she'll sent out her maintenance guy first. Be great if he could get it done, but maybe not so good for him!!!

Yeah, dont flush any wipes, they dont breakdown like toilet paper and you are just asking for problems.

Let them call maintenance, then he will call dynorod.

Lumen wrote: »
    Are you on a septic tank or mains sewer?

On mains. If the main sewer is the one with the roundy lid (as opposed to the square one like in my garden) that's only about 10 foot away from my manhole.

• Advertisement

Neighbour has returned home an hour ago and the water is now gone out on to the road! Theres a shore near the kerb so its draining into there.

I'm willing to accept the blockage could be caused by my gang with the "flushable" wipes, but would it cause my water to seemingly not overflow outside but my neighbours to overflow ?

Advertisement